Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Happy Coming Out Week

Happy Coming Out Week (Page 2)
wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2003, 02:09 AM

forkies, congratulations.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Oct 8, 2003 at 03:18 AM. )

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by forkies:
I am now completely open about my sexuality and have the support of my friends and family. Anyone else have a coming out story?
Did you lose any friends? I know lots of people who thought they would but none of them did. Even if they did it is probably better to get rid of a person like that.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Did you lose any friends? I know lots of people who thought they would but none of them did. Even if they did it is probably better to get rid of a person like that.
I lost a couple friends, either because of their religious beliefs and refusal to associate with me, or because their parents wouldn't allow them too. But, you're right, it's better to know sooner anyway.

On the other hand, the unloading of such a big burden allows you to be more confident and comfortable with yourself, and I found the vast majority of my friendships greatly strengthened and I became more socially comfortable in general.

Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
I lost a couple friends, either because of their religious beliefs and refusal to associate with me, or because their parents wouldn't allow them too. But, you're right, it's better to know sooner anyway.

On the other hand, the unloading of such a big burden allows you to be more confident and comfortable with yourself, and I found the vast majority of my friendships greatly strengthened and I became more socially comfortable in general.
Exactly, better to get rid of those garbage people early on. Shame their parents have to decide who they can be friends with though. Perhaps when they are older and away from the controlling, cowardly, hateful parents they will call you again.

Yes, when you are more confident you will make great new friends who love you for who you are and in the end you will be much more happy, and the people who are still friends with you will like you more.

I was lucky not to lose any friends, probably because I am careful who I call a friend in the first place and I can smell cowards for a mile.

forkies  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Actually, I had a couple of friends (brothers) that I was really worried about coming out to. I told one of them last summer and then the other over the winter. I haven't spoken with them about my sexuality since then because I don't want to make them uncomfortable. However, I was thinking of bringing it up again because it has been a year for me. Plus, they have matured quite a bit over they past year or two since they started college. There must be something about college...

However, nothing really changed between us other than they stopped calling things gay.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 02:41 AM

Actually, I had a couple of friends (brothers) that I was really worried about coming out to. I told one of them last summer and then the other over the winter. I haven't spoken with them about my sexuality since then because I don't want to make them uncomfortable.
I told my 21 year old sister and she was like "oh". That was it. Then we went to a party and she met my boyfriend.
Then she got mad at me when I broke up with my him cuz she liked him more then I did

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 8, 2003, 02:42 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 6, 2004 at 10:59 AM. )

Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Post of the week.
Year!

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 02:51 AM

I first told one of my best friends around this time last year. She took it very well, and said that she adores me no matter what, and will always be there for me. I've only told a few people so far, but even that still has a great feeling. My other friend that I just recently told, had pretty much the same response, saying that it didn't matter Still have to get it out to the parents, although I think my mom already suspects. Ah well.

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 8, 2003, 02:52 AM

thread fumigated.

it is now safe to return.

should someone bring any foreign bugs or dirt onto the premises, they shall meet a most unpleasant dragon.

and no, his name is not Puff.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Oct 8, 2003 at 03:31 AM. )

forkies  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:25 AM

Andrew, if you do end up coming out to your parents, my advice would be to do it at a time when you are all able to devote some time for talking about it. Do what feels right for your situation in terms of delivery method, time, and place. Take care!

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 04:50 AM

I have one friend who found out, or better accepted, himself being gay a few years ago.
Unfortunately he was married and his wife never accepted and probably newver will. They got divorced, she got all, but really everything, including their 2 children, which he hasn't seen in 5 years.

It amazes me how some people can be so cruel to others just because they cannot accept a change in reality.

Their children have nothing to do with it and probably love their father like they did in all those years. He loves his children and misses them a lot.

I sincerely hope she will burn in hell.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 06:06 AM

Congrats forkies and all others. It's a tough thing to do

Chris

sniffer
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 06:16 AM

Yep, congrats ppl.

Better to be out than unhappy I would imagine.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

tintub
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 07:24 AM

thank god i'm not gay. i don't envy people who have to go through the whole coming out thing.

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by tintub:
thank god i'm not gay. i don't envy people who have to go through the whole coming out thing.
MMh, I think it makes life more interesting though, more of a challenge.
But that said, there are gays who drive Neons.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 08:05 AM

Lewis: As I was saying, we need to review these maps, which we were supposed to go over last night. Where were you?

Clark: Out.

Lewis: Out where?

Clark: Just out.

Lewis: Out with another explorer?

Clark: Look. Lewis, we need to talk. I love exploring with you. I'm just not in love with exploring with you.

Lewis: (gasps) What are you saying?

Clark: Listen, we had some fun. We explored some stuff. We never said it was gonna be forever.

Lewis: I gave you the best years of my life!

Clark: Hey, I need some space. I already packed my things. I gotta go.

Lewis: Clark, wait! I'll do whatever, I'll just... (cries)
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Coming out isn't specifically about saying "Yaay! I'm GAY!" It's about getting the courage to tell the people you love something that they have assumed to be the opposite for your entire life. How is that bad?

very true.. i aid that just be yourself, no one has the right to tell u what to do with your life, if your gay then your gay if your str8 then your str8.. but from what i am seeing around the world being gay/bi is getting more normal by the day..

from being from an arab country and a muslim and how islam sees being gay is a huge sin, still alot of arabs/muslims are comming out.. heck one my best friends is gay and i just found out about it like 1 year ago.. and his parents are so ok with it..

parents should respect your pref and should not do anything drematic .. cuz nothing would change u from being gay.. so for all the parents out there and on this forum chill out and hear your children!!

peace...

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Mohammed Al-Sabah:
from being from an arab country and a muslim and how islam sees being gay is a huge sin, still alot of arabs/muslims are comming out.. heck one my best friends is gay and i just found out about it like 1 year ago.. and his parents are so ok with it..
[/B]
I always found this so ...mmh.. bizar. Islam more or less (depending which "branch") condemms homosexuality.
But at the same time in many Muslim countries virtually ALL MEN want to have sex with you!
It may sound unbelieveble to most hetero sexuals but just go to Tunis for example and see for your self.

forkies  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 01:08 PM

Someone mentioned earlier that coming out isn't a one-time thing and that it is done everyday. This is very true, and makes life that much harder. For example, I really hate the feeling that I get when I am having a conversation with someone and could add something that has to do with my boyfriend. I hate uttering that word sometimes. Sometimes the conversation becomes so different at that point simply because the other person is now aware that !! HE'S GAY!! I try to do it subtly and treat it as normal, but I'm just not at the point where it is normal to say.

This happened just the other day before a class of mine. Someone mentioned their being afraid of bugs and I nearly began talking about my boyfriend and how he is afraid as well. However, I didn't want to take everybody down that road and possibly make the room uneasy.

How is this fair/acceptable to some people?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 01:21 PM

Someone mentioned earlier that coming out isn't a one-time thing and that it is done everyday. This is very true, and makes life that much harder. For example, I really hate the feeling that I get when I am having a conversation with someone and could add something that has to do with my boyfriend. I hate uttering that word sometimes. Sometimes the conversation becomes so different at that point simply because the other person is now aware that !! HE'S GAY!! I try to do it subtly and treat it as normal, but I'm just not at the point where it is normal to say.

This happened just the other day before a class of mine. Someone mentioned their being afraid of bugs and I nearly began talking about my boyfriend and how he is afraid as well. However, I didn't want to take everybody down that road and possibly make the room uneasy.

How is this fair/acceptable to some people?
I know what you mean. No straight person has to think twice about casually mentioning his or her girlfriend/boyfriend. When you're gay, you have to hesitate. Do I know how these people would react? Is this a *safe* thing to do?

Even if people react nicely, it almost always changes the topic immediately. "Oh, I didn't know you were gay!" Sometimes I just say, "well, I didn't know you were straight, either," and just move on.

I have something else to add for the people that say, "just be gay and get on with it." If only it was that easy!! Try telling that do my friend, who tried just that, and got disowned by his parents and kicked out at age 16 on the streets. Or another friend, whose mother beat him with a belt and shoes, yelling, "I will not have a sissy for a son!" I know a lot of people who are not out to their parents and certainly can't bring their significant other home for Christmas.

The truth is, sexuality is still a HUGE deal, not to gay people, but to straight people!... which in turn makes us have to raise awareness and be a bit loud about it for a while, until the world changes. Sorry if it bothers you, but it's the only way. Change doesn't come from doing nothing.

What are you doing to help?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2003, 01:59 PM

[edit] Sorry, I posted before seeing Demonhood's edict. But, no more problem.

Congrats to all of you who've had the courage to come out to your families and friends. I wish it didn't have to be the ordeal it is.
( Last edited by nonhuman; Oct 8, 2003 at 02:05 PM. )

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 02:11 PM

Larry: There, there. It's going to be all right.

Lewis: (still crying) What am I going to do? I'm over thirty. No one's going to want to explore with me.

Larry: Oh, come on now. That's not true.

Lewis: Really? Will you explore with me?

agentz
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
I know what you mean. No straight person has to think twice about casually mentioning his or her girlfriend/boyfriend. When you're gay, you have to hesitate. Do I know how these people would react? Is this a *safe* thing to do?

Even if people react nicely, it almost always changes the topic immediately. "Oh, I didn't know you were gay!" Sometimes I just say, "well, I didn't know you were straight, either," and just move on.

I have something else to add for the people that say, "just be gay and get on with it." If only it was that easy!! Try telling that do my friend, who tried just that, and got disowned by his parents and kicked out at age 16 on the streets. Or another friend, whose mother beat him with a belt and shoes, yelling, "I will not have a sissy for a son!" I know a lot of people who are not out to their parents and certainly can't bring their significant other home for Christmas.

The truth is, sexuality is still a HUGE deal, not to gay people, but to straight people!... which in turn makes us have to raise awareness and be a bit loud about it for a while, until the world changes. Sorry if it bothers you, but it's the only way. Change doesn't come from doing nothing.

What are you doing to help?
Maxintosh - I might need to steal that line about not knowing someone is straight off you! And your totally right about having to second guess someone before saying anything about your partner. One of the reasons I don't mention my boyfriend is I really can't be assed with peoples reactions to hearing about my sexuality.

I'm sorry to hear about your two friends who have had pretty crappy experiences by the sounds of it. It really disappoints me (but doesn't surprise me anymore) to hear about stuff like that. I guess I've just been lucky in that I can only think of a couple of people just now that I know who had awkward coming outs, nothing as bad as what you described however. I don't get how any parent can disown or mistreat one of their children to that extent, but sadly as you pointed out, it happens.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 08:43 PM

Sure is strange having a nice, civil conversations in a gay thread isn't it? Something's different.... hmmmm

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

forkies  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 09:08 PM

This is the book I bought and gave to my parents:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
It's hardly phenomenal, but it gives plenty of stories people can relate to.

Here are some links for those who may need info on coming out:
http://www.hrc.org/ncop/index.asp
http://www.comingoutstories.com/
http://www.gmhp.demon.co.uk/coming-out/
The last one is apparently written specifically for gay men in the UK (why, I don't quite understand...)

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2003, 09:14 PM

I "came out" to my hardcare Christian parents that I no longer believed in it.

Does that count?

Only took me 23 years to build up the courage. Things were very bad for a coupple of years, but we are definitely on the mend. I think they honestly thought I would become a different person (immoral, they don't get how you can be moral without God...) they couldn't love. ONce they realized I wasn't intent on a self-destructive immoral lifestyle, we started to mend.

Still can't talk about religion or politics, though.

I got it easy. My brother is the one who had to tell them he was gay and be basically banished from the family.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Sure is strange having a nice, civil conversations in a gay thread isn't it? Something's different.... hmmmm
Hmm...

You know what we need? Some VBB code that allows you to disallow posting from individuals when starting a thread. So the next time someone starts a thread involving being gay, they could put He Who Shall Not Be Named on the "thread ignore" list and he couldn't post in the thread. Just an idea.

And solo, do you write at the magazine you work at? Or graphic art?

--Josh

iCol
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 09:32 PM

I am still in the process of coming out... A lot of my friends know, everyone I know at Uni knows, apart from a few of my classmates... I havn't told my parents though, not because I think they would take it particularily badly, simply because I can't bring myself to it. I will tell them someday, just not yet.

Generally, though, I have had a good reception to me telling them I am gay, a few raised eyebrows, but nothing serious.

Col
F is for Fooyork.

forkies  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
I "came out" to my hardcare Christian parents that I no longer believed in it.
YES THIS COUNTS, and I will need to do the same with my parents some day. I have really no idea how to approach it, even after my previous coming out to them.
I got it easy. My brother is the one who had to tell them he was gay and be basically banished from the family.
My boyfriend has been threatened such treatment, and I am deeply saddened by such reactions.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 11:29 PM

Wow! We're almost on page three of a gay thread and actually staying on topic. This IS craziness.

As for me, I came out to a few friends last year and have slowly been inching my way out a little more each day. Still not out to my parents or brother but my reason is kinda like iCol's. I don't think my parents will have a problem with it (in fact I'm pretty sure they know, it's just taboo), but we're all so busy it's hard finding a time to discuss it with them in length. Especially when I live three hours away and only make it to my parents' house once every 3 or 4 months.

Probably the greatest experience for me was doing an internship at Disney in Orlando. It was so gay friendly. It was the first time I really felt comfortable with my sexuality and it finally brought me to the self-acceptance I was looking for. After being totally out it was really difficult to come back to Missouri where I was only out to a few. I still have those urges to creep back into the closet. Safe and sound behind my mask of "normalcy". But then I remember how much closer I was able to become to everyone I was out to in Florida, and realized if I ever wanted to have those close friendships in Missouri I would have to brave coming out.

Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by Gene Jockey:
And solo, do you write at the magazine you work at? Or graphic art?

--Josh
Art director, but since I do most of the layout I have to read every word in the issue.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 11:14 AM

Lewis: Clark? Is that you?

Clark: Lewis?

Lewis: Oh. Hello. So, how's it going?

Clark: Uhhhhh... great! Oh, who am I kidding. I've been doing terrible without you. My clothes stink, I don't know where I am, and I'm starving. (crying) I need you!

Lewis: (happy gasp) You don't know how long I've waited to hear you say that.

Larry: Oh Lewis, there you are. I think I just discovered a new strain of flower.

Lewis: (nervously laughs)

Clark: Who's that?

Lewis: Oh, um, uh, that's Larry. Um, uh, we've been... exploring together.

Clark: Oh really?

Larry: Oh, why yes. Just this morning we discovered the Great Falls, the Yellowstone River, oh! and St. Lou...

Clark: (punches Larry in face, knocks him out) Let's go Lewie. (grabs Lewis' hand, runs off)

Lewis: Ooh hoo hoo!

forkies  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 11:05 PM

Just inside the door to my dorm (so people can see it on their way out) there was a sign about coming out week and the activities there will be for this week. There WAS a sign. It was ripped down. It was simply an 8.5x11 printed out sign, and the corners with tape over them still remain where it was hanging.

Why do people need to be so hateful, disrespectful, and homophobic?
I printed the picture below and taped it to my door. Today, after being up for around 4 months, it was...removed.

I replaced it with a new sign:

I recently received from a friend (Beewee) a drawing he did in pencil and charcoal of the kitty pic below. He wanted me to put it on my door, but now I'm afraid for it's safety since it is a work of his not just something reproducible.

people suck

Ratm
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by korn:
my father told me years later was that he had nightmares of me being raped by an older man. I told him that that was my greatest fantasy... (which is not true but we had a good laugh)

What would these difficult moments be like without humor.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2004, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
did someone say parade? weird, and i just posted this today. talk about timing.
OK? So your pithy and insightful musings here extend to the outside world as well.
I loved the caption on this pic.

Priceless, absolutely priceless.

EDIT: Yes, I did read all the way through these posts before realizing it was a six-month-old thread. Sosumi!
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Mar 11, 2004 at 12:37 AM. )
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2004, 01:19 AM

Edit: Apparently offensive "tripe". Since that was not my intention I'll remove it.
( Last edited by Tulkas; Mar 11, 2004 at 11:50 AM. )

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2004, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
I would have ripped that sign down as well. I find it offensive. Just because you dislike gay people does not mean you don't think they are equal as a group. Scared of gay people? Come on, just because you can't define an irrational dislike doesn't mean you have to define it as you see fit.

Isn't it sad that people define themselves by the people they choose to sleep with? My point is that being gay is a choice, a choice most gays haven't the balls to actually make. "Coming out" is not a result of society, or "homophobia", or any of this crap. Its people who are so afraid of the choice they have made that they hide it, trying to justify it by pointing fingers at "society".

Also, you were never "gay". You weren't different from the other kids, you weren't born that way. You made a choice to be gay. You made a choice to hide it. You aren't part of a movement, you are not a hero, the world is not a better place. For hundreds of years there have been gays who just lived their lives, not screaming it in the streets and just living their choice like everyone else. You might think they were persecuted, as has anyone different, but no more than now.

To those who have owned up to their choices, admitted them and not be consumed by them: You are my equal. To those who refuse to admit their choices, who point the finger at nature or society, who advertise so much that they need fear their choices: You are not equal, and you are a plague to the group you claim.

Do not be proud to be Gay, be proud to be an Equal human.
So where has your extremely strong view of it "being a choice" come from? At exactly what point in your life did you actually have to think about and choose which sex you wanted to sleep with?

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 11, 2004, 02:38 AM

I would have ripped that sign down as well. I find it offensive.
You would have ripped down a sign someone had on their door? So you have no problem if, when you put a poster of a serene meadow on a door, I tear it down because I hate flowers?

Isn't it sad that people define themselves by the people they choose to sleep with? My point is that being gay is a choice, a choice most gays haven't the balls to actually make. "Coming out" is not a result of society, or "homophobia", or any of this crap. Its people who are so afraid of the choice they have made that they hide it, trying to justify it by pointing fingers at "society".
People are defined by a lot more than just who they sleep with. But yes, it is something that defines them. Especially when they're in the minority. Especially when they're persecuted.
And please, state that being gay is a choice as your own opinion, not fact. I happen to believe that it isn't a choice, so the rest of your argument comes off as rather arrogant and somewhat offensive.
You know many gay people, btw?

Also, you were never "gay". You weren't different from the other kids, you weren't born that way. You made a choice to be gay. You made a choice to hide it. You aren't part of a movement, you are not a hero, the world is not a better place. For hundreds of years there have been gays who just lived their lives, not screaming it in the streets and just living their choice like everyone else. You might think they were persecuted, as has anyone different, but no more than now.
I'd wager that in the past gays were persecuted much more, and much more severely. But I don't have stats on that at the moment.

The purpose for gay pride parades, gay flags, the image on that door (and I'm presuming here), is not to shove it in your face to make you feel uncomfortable. It's about identity. It's about acceptance. It's about not hiding out of fear. If someone doesn't identify as gay, how are they supposed to advance their rights? Everyone assumes that you're straight, since the majority is. Without gays acknowledging coming out of the closet, they would never feel comfortable holding hands or kissing in public. And denying them that is unacceptable.
It's about allies. Someone walking by forkies' door will know that he is an ally (whether he is gay or not). They'll know that they are not alone in the area. That they can face the adversities (and there will be many) with someone they might be able to turn to. They might feel, just a little bit more, that the feelings they have aren't sick and wrong and dangerous. And that might just save their life (with gay teen suicide rates what they are).

Since all the gay/bi/transgender people I know (and I know quite a few) say that it wasn't a choice, and I believe them, I have no problem with them having pride. Hell, even if it was a choice, there'd be no problem. I have pride in the fact that I play hockey. Anyway, the way they were born, like skin color, ethnicity, etc.. is something they had no control over. You may have a problem with black history month too, I don't know. It's all a matter of education, of knowing someone is there to answer your question. No one is trying to convert you. They just want to know, if you have an open mind, your questions can be answered.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 03:30 AM

tripe
There is no emoticon to properly convey the medley of feelings I'm experiencing right now.

But there are a couple of words...

cheerios
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2004, 03:31 AM

belated props, Forky
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2004, 11:59 AM

I would have ripped that sign down as well. I find it offensive. Just because you dislike gay people does not mean you don't think they are equal as a group. Scared of gay people? Come on, just because you can't define an irrational dislike doesn't mean you have to define it as you see fit.

To those who have owned up to their choices, admitted them and not be consumed by them: You are my equal. To those who refuse to admit their choices, who point the finger at nature or society, who advertise so much that they need fear their choices: You are not equal, and you are a plague to the group you claim.

Do not be proud to be Gay, be proud to be an Equal human.

Originally posted by Xeo:
So where has your extremely strong view of it "being a choice" come from? At exactly what point in your life did you actually have to think about and choose which sex you wanted to sleep with?
Yeah, I'm curious myself Tulkas. When did you "choose" to be heterosexual? During puberty? at a young age catching a glimpse of a nudie magazine? maybe catching a glimpse of your Mom or an older sister coming out of the shower or undressing? Hmmm, so many possibilities here to decide when to choose heterosexuality?

You do realize that if you posit homosexuality is a "choice" people make then the same logic applies to heterosexuality as well. And if you don't think the same logic applies to both homosexuals and heterosexuals, in their "choice" of sexuality, then you are not-so-subtly suggesting that heterosexuality is the norm and homosexuality is not.

Don't confuse prevalence with standards (i.e: Don't assume because there are more of a certain type of people they are the norm and anyone not like the majority is somehow less than normal.) Because there are so many arguments to refute this way of thinking: Let's start with right- vs. left-handedness, shall we?

I am a left-handed straight male. Does that make me less "normal" than a right-handed straight male? How about a right-handed gay male: Is he more or less "normal" than me? which matters more now, his handedness or his sexuality? What about left-handed gay males?

I think you get my point. Sexuality is no more a "choice" than handedness. And simply because heterosexuality and right-handededness are more prevalent in the human population does not make it the norm and anything else abnormal.

Got it?
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Mar 11, 2004 at 12:05 PM. )
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2004, 05:19 PM

so now i need to come out to homosexuals that i'm bi?
For many years since I was 14, I thought I was a lesbian. At 21 I met a man who I became very attracted to, and it confused the crap out of me. The whole thing was very much like a reverse coming-out. Since then I've been open to having feelings for either gender, and find that I don't particularly have a preference for one or the other, just specific people, be they male or female.

However, like all good comings-out, I had a lot of fears about telling people. I have some gay friends who don't believe in bisexuality, they think it's just people who are afraid to admit they're gay. So even now there are people to whom I'm a little afraid to mention that I'm attracted to a man, because I don't want them to think that I'm scared of being a lesbian and now I'm trying to "conform" or something.

Anyway, just so you know, coming out backwards can be just as scary as the first time (well almost). And my parents were even more confused by the second one!

forkies  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 09:47 AM

just as a note, mere hours after the new sign was put up someone had used a magic marker and "picked" equality by making an arrow point to it. then, a couple vertical marks were added behind "equality" in, what i assume to be, tick marks of people who agree.

maybe people aren't so bad after all

(i just wish people didn't see the door as interactive. if you see what's on it and treat it as something mentally and visually stimulating, fine. but just stop tearing stuff down and marking it up! grr)

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2004, 09:55 AM

(i just wish people didn't see the door as interactive. if you see what's on it and treat it as something mentally and visually stimulating, fine. but just stop tearing stuff down and marking it up! grr)
Bitch if they screw it up, bitch if they don't.

At least no one's picking homophobia. "Hey, check this out: interactive door testing. Awesome."

forkies  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Bitch if they screw it up, bitch if they don't.

At least no one's picking homophobia. "Hey, check this out: interactive door testing. Awesome."
Maybe you don't get it. I don't go around ripping stuff off from or writing on things people tack on their doors.

look, but don't touch capice?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2004, 12:25 PM

Maybe you don't get it. I don't go around ripping stuff off from or writing on things people tack on their doors.

look, but don't touch capice?
Well, maybe you should start writing on their door-tackings.

Hey, I was kidding. I thought it was cool that people were kind of "getting involved" with your message. And I found the interactive door comment funny.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2004, 03:23 PM

maybe laminate what you want to put up to keep it from getting trashed so easy? It's kinda a fact of life that stuff get's ****ed up in dorms, sadly. :/
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Forum Links
Forum Rules