Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gay Jesus for Xmas

Gay Jesus for Xmas
Altix
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 09:11 AM

Now this is a production I'd love to see.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4085023.stm
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 09:14 AM

Happy. Happy. Happy.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 09:25 AM

For some, a good xmas. For some, a bad xmas.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 10:00 AM

OMG OMG OMG

I need this as bad as dog sh!t in my cereal bowl...

-t

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 10, 2004, 10:08 AM

To retell the Gospels as found in the Bible and then portray Christ as a practicing homosexual is just ridiculous. As the Bible would tell it, Jesus was not sexually active at all and surely held no feelings of lust towards anyone. I would argue that Jesus wasn't even heterosexual. He wasn't sexual at all.

Now if it were not telling the stories from the Bible, or something, and they wanted to tell what they thought the actual historical Jesus was like, there would be less to protest. But it would still be rather ridiculous.

If they did this to Mohammed or Buddha all hell would break loose around them.
I disagree about the Buddha. If they were to change his earlier life into one of homosexuality, it wouldn't make a difference. He was human like everyone else. If they tried to say that the Buddha was sleeping with the 5 ascetics while they were out roaming around, they would just disregard it as it's completely false according to the things known of his life. I doubt there would be an uproar. This is just a guess though, and there are fundamentalists in every religion so I guess maybe some would get upset. I think a true Buddhist would not.
( Last edited by Xeo; Dec 10, 2004 at 10:15 AM. )

roberto blanco
Senior User
Dec 10, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
To retell the Gospels as found in the Bible and then portray Christ as a practicing homosexual is just ridiculous. As the Bible would tell it, Jesus was not sexually active at all and surely held no feelings of lust towards anyone. I would argue that Jesus wasn't even heterosexual. He wasn't sexual at all.
hmmmm. nah. i can't imagine that at all. jesus was probably getting some all the time! the guy could walk on water und then turn it into wine. i'm sure he was the center of attention at every party...

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 10, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by roberto blanco:
hmmmm. nah. i can't imagine that at all. jesus was probably getting some all the time! the guy could walk on water und then turn it into wine. i'm sure he was the center of attention at every party...
Perhaps, but retelling the Gospel means sticking to the Biblical Jesus and doing that while portraying his as sexually active makes no sense.

Altix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 10:31 AM

The Gospels are about as acurate as contemporary Jewish writings are on Jesus. If we give credence to the Gospels then let's do thesame for non-Gospel books. So, anyone want to make a play in which Jesus' dad was a Roman soldier?
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

forkies
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 11:33 AM

here too

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 11:49 AM

I imagine that if I was weak and scared I would probably belittle and ridicule a powerful being - in order to appear like I wasn't scared of anything.

"Jesus?...pfft, I'd kick that dude's homo ass."

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 11:56 AM

Of course in order to get upset about this you will have to look at sexuality, and of course homosexuality, as something negative.

Which says more about the protesters than it says about the play.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 10, 2004, 01:03 PM

While I agree for the most part. He did have temptations just like any Man.

I doubt the people who made this even knows why they did it themselves.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 10, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Of course in order to get upset about this you will have to look at sexuality, and of course homosexuality, as something negative.
Eh, I'd be upset just out of the dishonesty.

Tell me Mastrap, if they made a movie about say, Liberace, and they portrayed him as straight. Do you not think that a lot of homosexuals would protest over it?

Does that mean heterosexuality is negative?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 01:16 PM

To retell the Gospels as found in the Bible and then portray Christ as a practicing homosexual is just ridiculous.
I agree to a degree. The Christians Gospels and perceptions of Christ are often retold (and sometimes rewritten) with evolving interpretations to suit the evolving perspectives of the believers. For example, in Christian graphic interpretations of Christ he doesn't look very Jewish and the King James version of the Bible was translated for political reasons.

In this case, however, the reinterpretation may be a bit abrupt for some.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 01:16 PM

Liberace is gay?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 01:30 PM

I really don't like how everyone considers it open season on my God all the time. This is on the same level as completely slandering someone's spouse.

ambush
Banned
Dec 10, 2004, 01:34 PM

*S*W*E*E*T*

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
I really don't like how everyone considers it open season on my God all the time. This is on the same level as completely slandering someone's spouse.
But it makes them feel superior.

Until God makes a bus run them over.

Sorta like a person throwing beer on an NBA player. Lots of folks get away with it..but every now and then they find themselves on the receiving-end of a haymaker.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:

Which says more about the protesters than it says about the play.

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Eh, I'd be upset just out of the dishonesty.

Tell me Mastrap, if they made a movie about say, Liberace, and they portrayed him as straight. Do you not think that a lot of homosexuals would protest over it?

Does that mean heterosexuality is negative?
Zimphire, this IS about Jesus portrayed as a homosexual, though. Of course, to prove that, we would need to have a play that showed him as a straight, promiscuous drunkard and see if the protestors still turned out. But anyway, if you don't think it is about the homosexual portrayal then read the quote below.

Quote #1
  • A member of the prayer group lodged a complaint of blasphemy with Fife police after walking out of the play on its opening night on Thursday.
Quote #2
  • One of the protesters outlined her reasons for joining the demonstration to BBC Scotland and said: "I'm a Catholic Christian and I don't like Christ portrayed as a filthy, swearing, pervert."
Quote #3
  • "And for people to come out and say he is a homosexual and to portray him as such is unacceptable.

"Jesus was sinless. He wasn't a homosexual. Homosexuality is a sin.

"It's a slur on Jesus Christ and these people will have to stand before God in judgement some day."
Quote #4
  • "The fact is that Jesus Christ is being portrayed here as a foul-mouthed, drunken, promiscuous, homosexual and that is an insult to my faith."
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 10, 2004, 01:36 PM

The whole jesus was gay crap is obviously a bunch of garbage perpetrated by hateful homosexuals.

At least he wasn't a pedofile, like a certain other "holy person" was.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 10, 2004, 01:53 PM

While I agree for the most part. He did have temptations just like any Man
Temptations yes, but feelings of lust would be just as sinful has actually having sex. It was the ability to resist all temptation even down to keeping his thoughts pure that kept him sinless. This is how the Bible portrays Jesus.

And I agree with the posters who say the people opposing it have some skewed views. I would agree if they argued similar points to mine, but all they are going on about is the fact that homosexuality is a lewd, sinful thing. That tells me that if the story was about Jesus being heterosexually active, they would not be nearly as upset. Both are just as wrong outside of marriage, according to the Bible.

Now, personally, I think Jesus was a man and was most likely had sex with someone or another in his lifetime. I'm sure as a child he had temper tantrums and disobeyed Mary every now and then. But this is not how the Gospel would tell the story and that's why this play shouldn't be about the Gospel.

And Superchicken, you are living in a society that is mostly Christian. As far as religion goes, that puts a large target on it because many of us grew up in that tradition in one way or another. It's the same reason why America is a target. We are in the spotlight in the West (and increasingly, everywhere else, too). I could almost guarantee that the average discussion on a Japanese message board would not be about Christianity or America. Then again, they probably don't sit around and argue religion anyway because their view of it is so different than ours. But I digress.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
But it makes them feel superior.

Until God makes a bus run them over.

Sorta like a person throwing beer on an NBA player. Lots of folks get away with it..but every now and then they find themselves on the receiving-end of a haymaker.
I think you're right that people attack Christianity because it makes them feel superior. But, I think it may only be because Christians have been similarly attacking non-Christians for decades and present an air of superiority to those they believe are headed to Hell.

By the way, I don't really think a god who would have me run over by a bus simply for criticizing it's gospels is worthy of my worship.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 10, 2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
I think you're right that people attack Christianity because it makes them feel superior. But, I think it may only be because Christians have been similarly attacking non-Christians for decades and present an air of superiority to those they believe are headed to Hell.
Which goes to show. It's a human thing. Not a Christian or Atheist thing.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 02:34 PM

Absolutely. I have no problems with religions, just with how some people choose to follow their chosen religion.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 03:01 PM

deal with it.

i dont see a reason why someone elses actions/words should get in the way of a persons relationship with their god/religion. your relationship with your god is between you and your god. unless youre feeling unsure of yourself, who cares?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 04:08 PM

Not this stupidity again...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
deal with it.

i dont see a reason why someone elses actions/words should get in the way of a persons relationship with their god/religion. your relationship with your god is between you and your god. unless youre feeling unsure of yourself, who cares?
It's rude and it's done to get a rise out of people. That's the problem with it.

FWIW, it's the attitudes of the anti-Christian members in here that cause issues in other threads (such as the gay marriage thread). Seems like they just want a war... which is fine with me, but they need to stop pissing and moaning when THEIR threads erupt in ad homs and personal attacks. You want respect? Then show some respect. Stop with the religion bashing and get on with your ****ing lives.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
It's rude and it's done to get a rise out of people. That's the problem with it.

FWIW, it's the attitudes of the anti-Christian members in here that cause issues in other threads (such as the gay marriage thread). Seems like they just want a war... which is fine with me, but they need to stop pissing and moaning when THEIR threads erupt in ad homs and personal attacks. You want respect? Then show some respect. Stop with the religion bashing and get on with your ****ing lives.
Wait, does that mean you have PacHead on ignore?

because I just read one of his posts out of curiosity, and I *still* don't get why the bastard ain't banned yet.

So much hate and religion-bashing...

Edit: oh wait, I see that you're just worried about *Christian*-bashing. I'm sorry - I thought your post had some merit.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 06:02 PM

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

because I just read one of his posts out of curiosity, and I *still* don't get why the bastard ain't banned yet.

So much hate and religion-bashing...

Edit: oh wait, I see that you're just worried about *Christian*-bashing. I'm sorry - I thought your post had some merit.
Well, you're just worried about gay bashing, so I suppose I'm just keeping this end up while you work on the other. Right?
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 06:12 PM

C'mon chicken, think about it. You know the reason, you know it all too well.
- Thomas Paine

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 06:20 PM

Repeat it for the rest of the class please. Take out your notes�

undotwa
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 06:28 PM

Now if it were not telling the stories from the Bible, or something, and they wanted to tell what they thought the actual historical Jesus was like, there would be less to protest. But it would still be rather ridiculous.
I'm not sure about other denominations of Christianity, but that surely is incompatible with Roman Catholic doctrine. Jesus Christ was both fully human and fully divine, therefore, he was a sexual being. Sexual but celibate. He could have married, had children, but no, he had a different vocation.
In vino veritas.

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 10, 2004, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

You don't see me starting any crap threads, like certain trollish morons like to start around here.

As a matter of fact, I hardly start any threads here at all. I just comment on stupid threads that certain other morons start. Those threads don't deserve anything but ridicule.

You should be banned for being a sissy. "Oh let's ban PacHead, boohoo".

undotwa
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 06:30 PM

Precisely.
In vino veritas.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 06:36 PM

Temptations yes, but feelings of lust would be just as sinful has actually having sex. It was the ability to resist all temptation even down to keeping his thoughts pure that kept him sinless. This is how the Bible portrays Jesus.

And I agree with the posters who say the people opposing it have some skewed views. I would agree if they argued similar points to mine, but all they are going on about is the fact that homosexuality is a lewd, sinful thing. That tells me that if the story was about Jesus being heterosexually active, they would not be nearly as upset. Both are just as wrong outside of marriage, according to the Bible.

Now, personally, I think Jesus was a man and was most likely had sex with someone or another in his lifetime. I'm sure as a child he had temper tantrums and disobeyed Mary every now and then. But this is not how the Gospel would tell the story and that's why this play shouldn't be about the Gospel.
As a fully human being, Jesus Christ was tempted in the same way we are, though he was able to resist.

Not much is said about Jesus' childhood. But I tell you, if Jesus had temper tantrums or disobeyed Mary, that is not necessarily sinful. A child's mind is not fully developed, and therefore is not responsible for his actions.
In vino veritas.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 06:46 PM

Should be funny and entertaining.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
You don't see me starting any crap threads, like certain trollish morons like to start around here.

As a matter of fact, I hardly start any threads here at all. I just comment on stupid threads that certain other morons start. Those threads don't deserve anything but ridicule.

You should be banned for being a sissy. "Oh let's ban PacHead, boohoo".

Okay, so let me grasp this. You go around looking for "stupid" threads and then comment and ridicule in them.

You are a troll.

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 10, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Okay, so let me grasp this. You go around looking for "stupid" threads and then comment and ridicule in them.

You are a troll.
No, I don't go looking for anything, you ignorant person with an IQ of a pebblestone.
I read various threads, and I'll comment on what I please. It's none of your business actually.

As a matter of fact certain fools follow me around from thread to thread just to make personal attacks. I believe Zimphire came up with a good name for that jealous breed of people: Fanboys.

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 10, 2004, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Should be funny and entertaining.
As entertaining as finding out Will is really straight, becomes a Christian, and marries Grace cause he thinks they could serve God well together.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 08:48 PM

No, I don't go looking for anything, you ignorant person with an IQ of a pebblestone.
I read various threads, and I'll comment on what I please. It's none of your business actually.

As a matter of fact certain fools follow me around from thread to thread just to make personal attacks. I believe Zimphire came up with a good name for that jealous breed of people: Fanboys.
So you read threads and post crap. You are a troll.

No, people respond to your trollish comments. Now I will let the handy search function speak for me:

What land ? the palestinians dont have any land (a country), nor have they shown that they deserve their own country yet, imho.

They should have thought about their present prediciment before a whole...
The USA should step into the Palestinian territories and clean up/get rid of the 'evil' leaders.
Bush has my vote. I'm all for the war on terror etc. (hell, i'm already thinking about where do we go next after Iraq ? ), but they better leave the porn alone.
Oh, and legalize weed too.
Somebody who has that software, should take the faces of the thousands of people killed on 9-11 and plaster them on Michael Moores fat face.
Nope, I am a very peaceful person. Torture is acceptable against exactly certain people/groups who are primitive, violent and behave as subhumans. Chickens have more rights than these.

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2004, 09:33 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about sending strippers for Xmas. How lame is this!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 10, 2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Now I will let the handy search function speak for me:
Five very reasonable statements there. Taken from the PL nonetheless.

You can't even comprehend simple rules.

Stop following me around and annoying me. I'm not gay. My ass is not for sale, and your constant harrasment of me is quite boring by now.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 10:42 PM

Five very reasonable statements there. Taken from the PL nonetheless.

You can't even comprehend simple rules.

Stop following me around and annoying me. I'm not gay. My ass is not for sale, and your constant harrasment of me is quite boring by now.
Heh, funny.

Wha? What rules?

"Following you? This is a forum. When you make an asinine post that I disagree with I'm going to reply. I check pretty much all the top few threads so I will see your posts. However you'll notice I've never replied to you in the PL.

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2004, 06:39 AM

I want to see the Deathmatch between the Gay Jesus and Black Jesus.

Altix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2004, 07:39 AM

Grow up. This is a topic of interest, and one that is news worthy. Be free to bury your head in the sand and ignore such matters of modern society.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 07:41 AM

The whole jesus was gay crap is obviously a bunch of garbage perpetrated by hateful homosexuals.

At least he wasn't a pedofile, like a certain other "holy person" was.
Don't trash talk moses.

Altix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2004, 07:41 AM

Look, you could take any topic in here and find someone who deems it offensive. Just look at all the anti-Palestinian/arab crap in the politics thread to see what I mean.

Altix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2004, 07:43 AM

Well, you're just worried about gay bashing, so I suppose I'm just keeping this end up while you work on the other. Right?
No, you're just one very hypocritical person, evidenced by many of your posts in here.

Altix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2004, 07:45 AM

Ok, explain to me why I posted this thread, if you're claiming to know. Why not quit the leap to conclusions and just read.

Cheers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules