Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > GC emulator, my Mac gonna to be fooled?

GC emulator, my Mac gonna to be fooled?
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 05:20 PM

http://gcube.exemu.net/ with Mac support

since we have no even a working Nintendo64 emulator, how have they filled the gap up?

Please note I have NOTHING again the guys trying to do it real, it is just that I (my brain) can not conceive that a working GC emulator is possible at the moment. Not mention the kind of requirements it must have. I have no 'real user' interest about it since I have the real thing, (another guys are gonna to love hear about it, though), but to do it would be a huge achievement and would show a bunch of skills, wouldn�t?

Abit667
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 09:16 PM

It's pretty real. The PC ones are making great progress, better then the N64 emulators we have.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2004, 01:56 PM

I could never convince my PM G4 to mount a GC disc. I wonder how they're doing it.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Turias
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
since we have no even a working Nintendo64 emulator, how have they filled the gap up?
The latest version of SixtyForce works quite well.

Minch_Yoda
Dec 10, 2004, 01:48 AM

how much better does/should this emu run on a mac since cpu emulation should be slim to none

redJag
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 02:38 AM

has anyone tried to get this to work? it just freezes my entire system when I try to use it.. hard shutdown on my PC it just shows a white screen and says I'm getting ~35 FPS.
Travis Sanderson

scauntay
Nov 16, 2006, 01:52 AM

yes its a very old thread, but i came across it and was wondering if anyone got it working? thanks

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 06:38 AM

If you like compiling from source: Gcube - GameCube Emulator

scauntay
Nov 17, 2006, 09:38 AM

im not sure how to do that

P
Nov 17, 2006, 11:05 AM

Depends a little on the exact configuration of th epackage, but if you download the thing, unpack it and cd to its directory in Terminal, it's usually just a question of typing

./configure

and then

sudo make install

provided you have the developer tools installed.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by scauntay View Post
im not sure how to do that
I haven't coded since fours years ago on OS9. So, I don't either, at least not with Xcode. Actually, I take that back. It works out the command line. I think that you have to download games. Also compatibility on GC emulators is very spotty.

insert_coin
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2006, 04:18 PM

Hey angelmb!

Here an interesting information about the GC superb cpu.

However details on this processor are sketchy at best but the information we've been able to gather points at a relatively unmodified PowerPC 750CXe microprocessor with the addition of close to 40 new instructions (potentially SIMD FP) designed to specifically aid in game performance. Followers of the PowerPC architecture will quickly realize that these additional instructions do not comprise all of the instructions provided by Motorola's AltiVec SIMD instruction set. It is possible that only a subset of AltiVec was implemented into this processor, using instructions heavily geared towards the tasks that it would be handling.
The basics of this PPC 750CXe derivative (codenamed Gekko) are fairly simple; the PowerPC core features a 4-stage basic integer pipeline which is mostly responsible for the very low clock speeds the core is able to achieve. Most important for gaming performance however are more precise floating point calculations and the Gekko's floating point pipeline is 7 stages long. Since the Gekko is a native RISC processor it does not suffer the same fate as its Xbox counterpart in that it doesn't have to spend much time in the fetch/decoding stages of the pipeline. Immediately upon fetching the RISC instructions to be executed, they are dispatched and one clock cycle later, they are ready to be sent to the execution units.
The PowerPC architecture is a 64-bit architecture with a 32-bit subset which in the case of the Gekko processor, is what is used. The CPU supports 32-bit addresses and features two 32-bit Integer ALUs; separate to that is a 64-bit FPU that is capable of working on either 64-bit floats or two 32-bit floats using its thirty two 64-bit FP registers. This abundance of operating registers is mirrored in the 32 General Purpose Registers (GPRs) that the processor has, dwarfing the Xbox's x86-limited offering (8 GPRs).
Although both the Gekko and the Intel CPU used in the Xbox are built upon advanced 0.18-micron processes, the Gekko is held back by its relatively short pipeline limiting it to generally no higher than 500MHz. The Gekko does use Copper interconnects which are superior to their Aluminum counterparts (used in the Xbox CPU for example) in that they more efficiently conduct electricity, but this advantage is still not able to result in a higher clock speed for the CPU. In the case of the GameCube, the CPU is clocked at 485MHz, or 3 times its 162MHz FSB frequency. The benefit of a shorter pipeline is of course, an increased number of instructions that can be processed in those limited number of clocks. However from all of that data that we have seen comparing the PowerPC 750 to even the desktop Intel Celeron processor, it does not seem that the Gekko can compete, performance-wise.
Your experience in the PC hardware world however should have taught you that CPU performance does not matter when it comes to games as long as you are bottlenecked elsewhere in the system, so theoretically Gekko could be more than enough for the GameCube but we have a feeling it's not.
Instead of being a processing powerhouse, Gekko was actually chosen for its physical characteristics. Although it does have a larger on-die L1 & L2 cache than the Xbox CPU (64KB/256KB vs. 32KB/128KB) and is composed of more transistors (over 21 million vs. approximately 9 million for the Xbox CPU), Gekko's die is under 45 mm^2. For comparison, the processor used in the Xbox has a die measuring approximately 100 mm^2.
The Gekko is actually a very cool running CPU, dissipating around 5W at its 485MHz operating frequency. Again, when compared to the Intel CPU used in the Xbox, you're looking at roughly three times more being produced by the X-CPU than by the GameCube's Gekko.
So while isn't as powerful at the Xbox CPU, Gekko's smaller die and cooler operation provide for lower manufacturing costs and a smaller sized console which fit Nintendo's goals perfectly.
Gekko does have more FSB bandwidth at its disposal than the X-CPU, simply because its FSB is running at 162MHz vs. the 133MHz FSB frequency that is within the limits of Intel's AGTL+ spec. This results in a 1.3GB/s connection between Gekko and the North Bridge, which like in the case of the Xbox's nForce-based platform, is integrated into a single chip along with the graphics core.

Source: Anandtech.
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look and do nothing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules