Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > No longer receives DHCP

No longer receives DHCP
iMacYouMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 09:34 PM

Hello,

I had my iMac off for a whole day because I was at the doctor's. This is the longest it's been off in some time. I turned it on when I got home and no internet. All my PCs are working just fine but I unplugged my switch, my router, and my DSL modem and plugged them back in in reverse order. Still nothing. I repaired permissions, I reset PRAM and NVRAM. Nothing. I disabled the ethernet and reenabled it. Nothing. What is going on? Nothing has changed on any machines since I was gone. It says it has a self-assigned IP (the weird 169.x.x.x one) but cannot connect to the internet. Ideas? Thanks!

iMac Core 2 Duo 17" - 2Ghz - 2GB Ram - 160GB HD - 250GB Ext - Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - MAudio Fast Track

Antec Nine Hundred Case - Gigabyte 965S3 - 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo -1GB Corsair XMS Ram - 400GB 3.0Gbps Seagate HD - 160GB Ext - X1900GT PCI 16x - Audigy 2 ZS

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2006, 10:39 PM

Try going to Preferences/Network/Ethernet and click on Configure. Make sure you are in the TCP/IP tab and click on Renew DHCP Lease. Go to the AppleTalk tab and make sure AppleTalk is active. Post back if that fails. Good luck!

iMacYouMac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 10:44 PM

Thanks, but that's a no-go. When I renew I get nothing. Occasionally it'll have the self-assigned 169 IP address.
iMac Core 2 Duo 17" - 2Ghz - 2GB Ram - 160GB HD - 250GB Ext - Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - MAudio Fast Track

Antec Nine Hundred Case - Gigabyte 965S3 - 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo -1GB Corsair XMS Ram - 400GB 3.0Gbps Seagate HD - 160GB Ext - X1900GT PCI 16x - Audigy 2 ZS

Thinine
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 10:47 PM

Check and see if your router has any sort of authentication or filtering active. Restarting the routers may also help.

iMacYouMac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 10:49 PM

I restarted everything and the router settings haven't changed. It worked like this for months. Now it's off for a day and I have this issue. Can I reinstall 10.4.8 somewhere or revert to 10.4.7?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 19, 2006, 11:05 PM

First, I'm moving this to the Networking forum where it belongs.

Now, turning your computer off should NOT cause ANY problem with your network. I turn mine off all the time and there's never a problem. Can you post your settings for whichever network adapter (AirPort? Built in ethernet?) that you're using? It could be enlightening.

Oh, if you're wired, you HAVE checked your cable, right?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iMacYouMac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2006, 12:01 AM

Well, I didn't have it in networking because it's a Mac OS issue. I have DSL. The modem goes into a Linksys router, that goes to a 5-Port Netgear switch in my room, wired to my iMac. I never use AirPort (even though that does not work now either).

Built-in Ethernet
-Using DHCP
-No PPPoE
-No AppleTalk (tried enabling it, made no difference)
-Proxies is set to Manually
-Ethernet is set to automatically

A few weeks ago I updated the firmware on my Router but it worked just fine after that. A few months ago I ran the BroadBand tuner from Apple and it worked just fine. The two other PCs in the house are working fine (one connected to the switch, one connected to the router). I tried different cabled, different ports in the switch. I reset the switch, router, and modem to no avail. Either it says it has a cable plugged in with no address or it says it has a self-assigned address.......the default 169 one or whatever. If I set it to manually assign address the green dot by built-in Ethernet shows up but I can still not connect to anything. I can also ping that IP address from my other PCs.

To sum up......nothing has changed network-wise for two weeks. It all worked perfectly fine until I turned it on after it was off for a day.

iMacYouMac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2006, 12:04 AM

Well, it works now once I did it strictly manually........IP, Subnet, Router, and DNS. But it will not work any other way. What do to?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 20, 2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by iMacYouMac View Post
Well, it works now once I did it strictly manually........IP, Subnet, Router, and DNS. But it will not work any other way. What do to?
Check your IPv6 settings-I've heard people report that "something" changed it from Configure:Automatically, which goobered up everything.

Have you changed ANYTHING else (aside from your socks) immediately before this issue cropped up?

iMacYouMac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2006, 12:51 PM

Nope, nothing has changed. Like I said I upgraded to 10.4.8 when it came out and everything was fine. I upgraded my router (Linksys WRTGS V6) firmware about two weeks ago but everything was fine. It was working normally and I shut it down while I was away from home and when I came home it stopped getting an address through DHCP. I see a lot of others are getting this too........maybe wait for 10.4.9 to come out or think about getting a different router. I always preferred Netgear anyways.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 20, 2006, 01:06 PM

Maybe there was an issue with your DHCP address lease; it could have been long enough that your computer didn't need to request a new one until some time before you turned it back on. There have been some reported problems with some Linksys DHCP stuff not working properly with Macs-the fault is almost certainly in the Linksys DHCP implementation, by the way, NOT your Mac.

So anyway, downgrading your WRT's firmware is a workable idea. [url=ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network]Look here for not only the the latest but PREVIOUS firmware versions for almost everything Linksys. I see versions 3.17.4 and 3.36.2 with just a casual check. BE SURE YOU ONLY USE THE FIRMWARE FOR YOUR MODEL!!!! But downgrading should be as simple as upgrading was.

And I think, given the recent changes Linksys has posted to the plain-jane WRT54G firmware, they may be coming out with a "corrected" version for the GS soon.

butchfoote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2007, 04:30 PM

We have the identical symptoms as described above on our PB G3 which is on the stock apple supported release of 10.2.8.

We've run for several months with no problem on over a wireless Belkin card in the PCMCIA slot on the G3 PB. It talks to a router from Verizon for FIOS (which we love).

Then all of a sudden two days ago, we can't connect to the internet. All the rest of the Macs in the house (an old iMac, an iiMac G4 and iMac G5) all are connected via wire and are getting normal DHCP addresses from the router.

Plus, like th poster above, I CAN PING other macs on the subnet via the G3.

In addition moving the G3 doesn't matter. SIgnal is good. I even took it to my office and tried to connect it via hardwire ethernet and it doesn't connect or get an ethernet connection either.

For some reason , Mac OSX is failing to get a DHCP address, while everything else on the networks fine!

Forum Links
Forum Rules