Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWeb question about saving

iWeb question about saving
money69
Feb 24, 2006, 12:28 PM

I am currently working on various pages of photos in iWeb and I cant figure out how to save the layout so that I can go back to it later. I saved the files to my ipod and tried to open the index file in iWeb but it wouldnt open, when i went back to open iWeb on my original computer that I was working on the pages came up, any ideas?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 05:47 PM

The iWeb site you're working on is saved as a project. The "index.html" file you speak of is after you publish your site. Whenever you launch iWeb, your project (the website you created) will come up automatically.

In order to launch the project from your iPod, it would have to run the iWeb application.

So your website is tied to your iWeb application on your computer only. The "index.html" and the accompanying "Site" folder is something that any browser can launch, BUT you cannot work on it since it's now a "finished product."

Hope that helps.

tagaturo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2006, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan View Post
The iWeb site you're working on is saved as a project. The "index.html" file you speak of is after you publish your site. Whenever you launch iWeb, your project (the website you created) will come up automatically.

In order to launch the project from your iPod, it would have to run the iWeb application.

So your website is tied to your iWeb application on your computer only. The "index.html" and the accompanying "Site" folder is something that any browser can launch, BUT you cannot work on it since it's now a "finished product."

Hope that helps.

I just upgraded to a MacBook Pro and want to continue working on my iWeb page but cannot open it. I am discouraged after reading the above... surely there is a way to open and update my existing work???

Thanks for any feedback.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2006, 08:06 AM

iWeb stores your project in this file:

~/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites

If you move this file from your previous Mac to your new Mac, you should be able to launch iWeb and continue working on your site. Hope this helps!

-Finrock
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

tagaturo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2006, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Finrock View Post
iWeb stores your project in this file:

~/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites

If you move this file from your previous Mac to your new Mac, you should be able to launch iWeb and continue working on your site. Hope this helps!

-Finrock
Thanks for the info. but I am now a very, very sad person.

I do not have that particular file backed up and there now is no way to get it. I do have my site backed up though... is there any suggestion on the best way to rebuild in iWeb?

Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules