Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Broken hinge on Ti/1Ghz - Options

Broken hinge on Ti/1Ghz - Options
Xyrrus
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2007, 01:25 PM

So the other day the left hinge on my Ti/1Ghz starting working itself loose, and with 2-3 openings of the lid it was completeley free of the screen. I managed to turn it all the way back with some pliers so that it doesn't interfere with the opening of the lid for now, but its just not the same.

PowerbookResQ sells a repair service for around $300, and they say they don't generally ship the parts out for a self repair. $300 seems like a lot of money to put into this machine at this point, given that it's 4 years old. On a whim, I asked PBResQ how much they'd give me for the machine outright and they said $475. Seems a little low compared to auctions on eBay, but it's perhaps reasonable given the condition and the fact that its a "no hassle" sale.

This machine is basically just a hub for mail+im+irc and some light web browsing at this point. When I got the PB I maxed everything I could because it was my only machine both at work and at home. But I now have a new Mac Pro at home and a 2.0 dual G5 at work, so I'm pretty set in terms of heavy hitting machines.

So, do I spend $300 to fix it, or do I sell it for $475 and put that towards a mac book? I'm looking at a refurb 2.0/superdrive for $1099 on apple.com that is fairly tempting, but I just bought the Mac Pro a few months ago and I'm not sure I can justify another new computer not even 6 months later to myself.

I guess the last options are to just keep the machine as it (it works fine) and deal, or give the machine to somebody and buy a new mac book anyways.

Anyone been in a similiar situation?

-Xy

Edit: I should note that this machine has been an absolute workhorse for me over the last 4 years. It has literally been on 24 hours a day for most of that time, was my primary machine for a long time. I figure the screeen that broke has had well in excess of 5000 open/close cycles, so in any event I do know I've gotten my money's worth out of it.
( Last edited by Xyrrus; Feb 2, 2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Adding info)
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

hemant
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2007, 03:38 PM

If you are a bit handy then you could buy the hinge off ebay (approx $30-$40) and fix it yourself. There there several DIY tutorials for that. Not an easy task but not that difficult either.

Xyrrus  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by hemant View Post
If you are a bit handy then you could buy the hinge off ebay (approx $30-$40) and fix it yourself. There there several DIY tutorials for that. Not an easy task but not that difficult either.
I've swapped out the HDD on this but haven't done anything as major as the tutorials show. Of course, I'm probably just trying to justify a new machine to myself ...

Addenum to my first post: does $475 seem reasonable for a machine in this condition?

-Xy
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

hemant
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Xyrrus View Post
I've swapped out the HDD on this but haven't done anything as major as the tutorials show.
Difficulty wise they are almost similar. But this requires a lot more patience to slowly pry open the LCD bezel and stick that new hinge in.

Originally Posted by Xyrrus View Post
Of course, I'm probably just trying to justify a new machine to myself ...
-Xy
Hey my main work horse is a MBP but I just got a 667 Titanium as a project and I'm loving it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules