Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox is so Slow?

Firefox is so Slow?
pptech1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2007, 12:18 AM

I have a MB Intel Core Duo, 2GB. I have tried both Firefox and BonEcho. It takes 25 seconds to load the first time, however then it gets faster after. Why is this? Is there a different solution for Firefox?

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2007, 12:30 AM

Maybe they (the Mozilla team) did a bad or sloppy port of the app.

I have the latest Firefox (v2.0.0.1) on my peecee and it's rather fast on my lowly 800mhz with 512MB ram. (no, it's not an intel machine, but an AMD 800..... lol)

Loading time for Firefox 2 feels like around 4-7 seconds, right after my OS (XP) has finished loading up. However, after initially closing the browser, re-launching it literally takes only a split second. Not bad for a 2000/2001-era computer running one of today's most influential browsers.

(i still wish there was a backport of even Firefox 1 for Mac OS 9.

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

pptech1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2007, 12:34 AM

Yeah, it takes forever to load the first time, however, after that it's fine. Hmm.. any solutions?

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2007, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ View Post
Maybe they (the Mozilla team) did a bad or sloppy port of the app.
It's probably that. On my new C2D iMac with a gig of RAM, Safari loads up in a second. Firefox loads in six.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2007, 12:37 PM

Not the browser. It's your DNS servers (or their speed to be more precise) that is probably causing this. Safari and Firefox deal with a DNS cache somewhat differently (in my experience), and the "set up" to load a page works a bit differently as well.

The real test is to clear the browser's cache AND YOUR DNS CACHE, and then time both Safari and Firefox to load the same page. To be a valid test, the DNS cache must be cleared between the two timings.

I have zero problems with "waiting" for Firefox to load anything-there's nothing wrong with the browser.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Feb 4, 2007, 12:43 PM

You might also configure your router to use OpenDNS > OpenDNS at Home . I have seen big reductions in page load times using it. FF 2.0 now loads normal, medium-sized websites nearly instantaneously.

bernt
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2007, 05:13 AM

I think the OP was talking about launch time of the application itself, and not load time of web pages.

I have the same problem on my MBP, Firefox takes forever to launch compared to Safari. I removed some add-ons, but that didn't cut down launch time much. Right now I have adblock plus, googlesync and download statusbar installed.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

Forum Links
Forum Rules