Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Why I returned my iPhone

Why I returned my iPhone (Page 2)
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by tinkered View Post
What about this electronic purchase was unique and urged you to share its negative experience with others? Is your post meant as a warning to others about the iphone? What lesson can I take from that I can I apply to my purchases purchases? I don't mean to sound derisive or fractious, I honestly want to know what I, as a form reader, was meant to get from the OP and this thread as a whole.
The more appropriate question would be; what were you hoping to gain by opening this thread? Why did the thread title; "Why I returned my iPhone" appeal to you?
ebuddy

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
"Too many taps to place a phone call"

Do you honestly think that Steve Jobs didn't do extensive research into how many taps people will tolerate to make a call? They had years to perfect the design of the iphone. Do you think that so little thought went into the essential function of what being a phone is all about? Gimmeabreak. Steve Jobs is smarter than you, rest assured you are in the significant minority when it comes to optimum taps needed to place a call. The iphone is not just another gadget, it is an experience and Apple has always strove to provide a superior user experience.
Well, I doubt that Steve Jobs personally did any research, but in any case, the OP was just saying that it was too much for him personally. That's OK. You don't all have to jump on him and question his reasons for starting the thread. I'm starting to understand why he was acting so defensive.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The audio interference is standard GSM interference.

If you're seeing video interference, SOMETHING IS BROKEN, and it probaby ain't the phone.
Sounds like a TV issue to me as well.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 19, 2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Sounds like a TV issue to me as well.
Almost certainly this is the cables, NOT the TV and certainly not a problem with the phone. The simple and inexpensive thing to do is to get new cables and see if there is a change when they're installed. If not, that TV really does have a problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2007, 04:30 PM

Well look... No iPhone, no problem with TV. I think the solution is fairly obvious, keep the crappy GSM radio away from my TV and computer speakers.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Almost certainly this is the cables, NOT the TV and certainly not a problem with the phone. The simple and inexpensive thing to do is to get new cables and see if there is a change when they're installed. If not, that TV really does have a problem.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by chrisutley View Post
Well look... No iPhone, no problem with TV. I think the solution is fairly obvious, keep the crappy GSM radio away from my TV and computer speakers.
You reversed that. It should be "keep the crappy tv and crappy cables I used to hook it up away from my cell phone." Or, just fix your crap.

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2007, 04:46 PM

So my thread seems to stand out and require explanation, in the sea of "I love my iPhone, iPhone is perfect!" threads?

I had to laugh out loud at this backwards attempt at being clever. I mean ... seriously? Seriously?

Originally Posted by tinkered View Post
May I ask if you have ever posted in a forms about other shopping mistakes? Do you often regret your purchases? What about this electronic purchase was unique and urged you to share its negative experience with others? Is your post meant as a warning to others about the iphone? What lesson can I take from that I can I apply to my purchases purchases? I don't mean to sound derisive or fractious, I honestly want to know what I, as a form reader, was meant to get from the OP and this thread as a whole.

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2007, 04:48 PM

Touche my quick witted friend, touche!

Clearly this thread has been hijacked by the zealots, teenagers, and shut-ins of the World so I'm going to wrap this up.

1) The iPhone is not perfect
2) Deal with it

Good day.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
You reversed that. It should be "keep the crappy tv and crappy cables I used to hook it up away from my cell phone." Or, just fix your crap.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2007, 05:13 PM

2) Deal with it

Good day.
I'm pretty sure that's what people in this thread were trying to tell you all along. I'm not quite sure why you decided to post a thread just to justify your reasons for returning your iPhone. Who cares why its not the phone for you? And what were you expecting the reactions to be really? Did you need anonymous people to reassure you on your decision?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 05:18 PM

Clearly this thread has been hijacked by the zealots, teenagers, and shut-ins of the World so I'm going to wrap this up.

2) Deal with it

Good day.
Telling you that if a GSM phone is causing VIDEO interference, your TV or cabling is BROKEN IN SOME WAY, is NOT zealotry, teenage angst, nor "shut-in", you dolt.

We have entire CONTINENTS' worth of experience with GSM phones - I myself have owned one for over ten years - and while the audio interference is normal, I have NOT ONCE seen video interference.

Your set-up is ****ed up, and that is NOT the iPhone's fault.

Now, before you knee-jerk into something resembling the post I quoted above, please keep in mind that I was the one who is genuinely interested in realistic criticism of the iPhone.

If you cannot stand other pointing out an obvious misattribution of causes to an obvious electrical problem without flaring off the "fanboy" card at them, then perhaps you DO need to ask yourself why you bothered posting this thread at all.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 05:19 PM

2) Deal with it

Good day.

I could have told you that even before it was released!

I'm just glad I didn't wait in line for hours in eager anticipation for this...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Telling you that if a GSM phone is causing VIDEO interference, your TV or cabling is BROKEN IN SOME WAY, is NOT zealotry, teenage angst, nor "shut-in", you dolt.

We have entire CONTINENTS' worth of experience with GSM phones - I myself have owned one for over ten years - and while the audio interference is normal, I have NOT ONCE seen video interference.

Your set-up is ****ed up, and that is NOT the iPhone's fault.

Now, before you knee-jerk into something resembling the post I quoted above, please keep in mind that I was the one who is genuinely interested in realistic criticism of the iPhone.

If you cannot stand other pointing out an obvious misattribution of causes to an obvious electrical problem without flaring off the "fanboy" card at them, then perhaps you DO need to ask yourself why you bothered posting this thread at all.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 19, 2007, 05:41 PM

I haven't been called a teenager for quite some time! THANKS! As for being a zealot, no, I'm an electronics technician with about 30 years experience with RF, phones, TV and a bunch of other stuff. A digital transmitter WILL cause a signal to be induced into any unshielded cable around it. My speakers are relatively well shielded, but if I put my phone next to them the radio signal from the phone, including the simple "I'm still on" signal all digital phones produce on a relatively regular basis, still generates a buzz.

For a modern, digital TV to show interference, it must either be getting into the system through poorly shielded cables, or the TV itself is not properly assembled. Not grounding it is not the issue, unless the signal is being picked up through the unconnected ground lead.

analogika is right-there is NOTHING wrong with the iPhone. It is SUPPOSED to transmit a digital radio signal. Something about the TV system is catching this signal and getting it into the TV system.

vln2
Jul 19, 2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
What's the $ sign for? I don't know about this.
I did not know about it before as well but on another thread about WiFi issues with iPhone someone wrote about adding $ in front of your password in your home router settings. If it works without it then you don't have to worry about it. If you have connection problems then try it - you just type $ and follow it with your password. Why, I am not going to second guess Apple as long as it works. I tried the same thing with my friend's router which was giving me trouble and it fixed the issue as well. I would just do Reset of Network settings first to start fresh.

GatorsFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 09:24 AM

What are the odds of Apple producing a MacBook with telephone capabilities? I've no use for a pocket-sized, quasi-"thing," but I am shopping for a good notebook, and one that could handle calls ---perhaps via a Bluetooth headset--- would be pretty neat.
iMac 20"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by GatorsFan View Post
What are the odds of Apple producing a MacBook with telephone capabilities? I've no use for a pocket-sized, quasi-"thing," but I am shopping for a good notebook, and one that could handle calls ---perhaps via a Bluetooth headset--- would be pretty neat.
There's absolutely no chance of that happening.

GatorsFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
There's absolutely no chance of that happening.
You're probably right, but an explanation of "Why not?" would help.
iMac 20"

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 20, 2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
What's the $ sign for? I don't know about this.
Originally Posted by vln2 View Post
I did not know about it before as well but on another thread about WiFi issues with iPhone someone wrote about adding $ in front of your password in your home router settings. If it works without it then you don't have to worry about it. If you have connection problems then try it - you just type $ and follow it with your password. Why, I am not going to second guess Apple as long as it works. I tried the same thing with my friend's router which was giving me trouble and it fixed the issue as well. I would just do Reset of Network settings first to start fresh.
As I posted on the first page (close to right after philm's post), the '$' tells AirPort software that the entry is in hexadecimal, not plain text. This is important because password handling in WEP is up to the implementer-and Apple decided to do something completely different from everyone else.

If the password looks like random characters and doesn't have any alphabetic characters higher than 'f', then it might be hex, and the dollar sign might help. But WEP is poo, so if at all possible (like it's your own network) do not use WEP and use WPA instead.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by GatorsFan View Post
You're probably right, but an explanation of "Why not?" would help.
Sorry for my brevity -- I was on the iPhone. As for "why not," just look at Apple's product line. Ever since Jobs came back to Apple, they've been working on simplifying the product line. I really don't see room in the current lineup for a product like that. Plus, including that kind of functionality isn't really Apple's style. Even on the PC side of things, cellular-equipped laptops are a niche market. Apple's products need to appeal to a wide spectrum of buyers because the Mac is already a niche market to begin with.

Plus, I'm not really sure if having it built in is a good idea anyway, since you can get the same effect with any of Apple's laptops by tethering a bluetooth capable cell phone, and that way you get an actual cell phone out of the deal. Using a laptop to make calls is hardly ideal.

vln2
Jul 20, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
As I posted on the first page (close to right after philm's post), the '$' tells AirPort software that the entry is in hexadecimal, not plain text. This is important because password handling in WEP is up to the implementer-and Apple decided to do something completely different from everyone else.

If the password looks like random characters and doesn't have any alphabetic characters higher than 'f', then it might be hex, and the dollar sign might help. But WEP is poo, so if at all possible (like it's your own network) do not use WEP and use WPA instead.
Thanks for your clarification. That explains why different types of password may require addition of $. I used the scenario you have mentioned.
I absolutely agree about WPA but these days almost every house on my street has wireless, some open. Eight years ago soon after we built, the day after I put wireless (and left it open) I had a teen sitting in a car across the street with antenna on top and laptop inside.

Forum Links
Forum Rules