Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Docking Station?

Docking Station?
boatrower1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: Philadelphia (San Francisco is my true home, though)
Feb 13, 2007, 01:37 PM

Hey Guys-

I just bought an external LCD for my Macbook. Right now, I just have my macbook screen 80% closed, with the backlight out. I am not neccessary looking for a docking station, but am wondering if there was a way to close the computer completely, without it going to sleep. I feel that in the long run having the screen positioned like this will hurt my precious hinge http://forums.macnn.com/images/smili...hool/frown.gif

Thanks guys-
Zach

ibook_steve
Feb 13, 2007, 02:37 PM

First, don't worry about the hinge. Second, look in your user's manual or search the forum for "closed lid mode." This is a built-in feature of your machine and all Apple portables.

Steve

tsvb
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2007, 03:41 PM

Don't do it. The macbooks release heat through the keyboard. You don't want a melted lcd do you?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by tsvb View Post
Don't do it. The macbooks release heat through the keyboard. You don't want a melted lcd do you?
pretty sure you are incredibly wrong

ibook_steve
Feb 13, 2007, 04:24 PM

Sorry, that's not true. As I said, closed lid mode is a built-in feature. Some heat is dissipated through the keyboard but not nearly enough to get a "melted LCD." Most heat is dissipated through the case and the vents.

Steve

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2007, 04:41 PM

My MB has been running (24/7, no sleeping) in closed-lid mode for roughly the past 4 months and its LCD is absolutely fine. I just opened the lid to check and the LCD was barely warm.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2007, 05:30 PM

If you don't want to do the sleep-and-rewake dance every time you close the lid of your Macbook, install InsomniaX.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
If you don't want to do the sleep-and-rewake dance every time you close the lid of your Macbook, install InsomniaX.
cool software.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

boatrower1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
My MB has been running (24/7, no sleeping) in closed-lid mode for roughly the past 4 months and its LCD is absolutely fine. I just opened the lid to check and the LCD was barely warm.
Do you leave your battery in the entire time? Doesn't this kill its life?
Dual 2 Ghz G5
20" Cinema Display
500 Mhz Snow iBook (aka portable dvd player)
10 Gig, Rev 1b iPod
iSight
No More Money :(

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2007, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by boatrower1 View Post
Do you leave your battery in the entire time? Doesn't this kill its life?
Ideally you would run down the battery and fully recharge it at least once every month or so.

OTOH running without the battery will reduce the clock and that's not something I wanted. In the worst case I'll have to buy a new battery. I can live with that. Of course YMMV.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 12:26 PM

Do Macbooks support an extended desktop configuration that allows you to spread your windows across two montiors?

If so, why not do that? Then you have more desktop space for an even better computing experience.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 12:49 PM

Macbooks do indeed support an extended desktop.

boatrower1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 01:29 PM

My 2nd display is a 19 inch Samsung widescreen. I am not sure why, but when I use the MB's screen, along with the external, the external doesn't get full viewing. It is like there is an inch think black line all the way around the picture. I guess the video card isn't powerful enough?

Going along with that quesiton, is there anyway to make the external monitor the main displaly? ie have all of the menus etc. be on that, and make the MB the secondary montitor?
Dual 2 Ghz G5
20" Cinema Display
500 Mhz Snow iBook (aka portable dvd player)
10 Gig, Rev 1b iPod
iSight
No More Money :(

ibook_steve
Feb 19, 2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by boatrower1 View Post
My 2nd display is a 19 inch Samsung widescreen. I am not sure why, but when I use the MB's screen, along with the external, the external doesn't get full viewing. It is like there is an inch think black line all the way around the picture. I guess the video card isn't powerful enough?

Going along with that quesiton, is there anyway to make the external monitor the main displaly? ie have all of the menus etc. be on that, and make the MB the secondary montitor?
You're probably mirroring your internal display instead of spanning across to the external display. Press F7 (without pushing the fn key) to switch.

To make the external display the main display, go into Displays preferences. Go to the Arrangement tab where you organize the location of the displays and drag the little menu bar to the other display.

Steve

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2007, 10:12 AM

Is there actually a true docking station for the macbook?

p.s. thanks steve I FINALLY know what the f7 key does.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 10:40 AM

There is one made by a company called BookEndz.

BookEndz - Docking Stations for Apple

Expensive, but it'll do the trick.

Targus also makes a number of USB-based docking stations, but I don't know if they're Mac-compatible.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Feb 26, 2007, 10:41 AM

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Feb 26, 2007, 05:36 PM

That is a feature I have missed for some time. At my old job I had a Dell notebook witha docking station, and it was a pretty kicking setup; with Win2K I could keep my home directory on the laptop, synced with the server, and when I wanted to take it on travel, simply shut down and eject.

I have wished for a long time that Apple would make a docking station for its notebooks. While this solution isn't optimal (lots of individual connectors vice one large one) it could very wel be a godsend.

Now to wait until it actually ships in March...

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2007, 08:47 PM

Naw, like one with speakers and that slants the computer up. I guess not. Thanks for the thoughts

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2007, 05:34 PM

I'm confused why Apple has never offered a docking station/port replicator solution as well. I have a quite a few corporate transitioners that have gone from Dell Latitudes and IBM ThinkPads to Apple notebooks who were big fans of the docking stations.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
I'm confused why Apple has never offered a docking station/port replicator solution as well. I have a quite a few corporate transitioners that have gone from Dell Latitudes and IBM ThinkPads to Apple notebooks who were big fans of the docking stations.
It would require design changes (big ass connector on the bottom or back) and Apple doesn't have many corporate sales.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2007, 06:53 PM

Yea I know but I was wondering if someone created one somehow. Those other ones are somewhat useless.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It would require design changes (big ass connector on the bottom or back) and Apple doesn't have many corporate sales.
Apple could engineer something that is small and functional. The "PC guys" make the ugly ass connector at the bottom.

As for the lack of corporate sales, that doesn't matter. Home users could make use of a nice Apple provided docking station as well.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Apple could engineer something that is small and functional. The "PC guys" make the ugly ass connector at the bottom.
Apple could also use a connector at the bottom. It doesn't have to be big and they could hide it under a flap that opens only when you slide the MBP onto the docking station. That would be slick and the MBP would remain sexy - very Apple-like.

BTW, docking stations are not just something for the corporate world. In the academic world, especially in scientific computing, there are quite a few Macs around. While we do heavy number crunching on dedicated clusters, many of us have a MBP as a daily work machine. Not one of my colleagues here wouldn't want a docking station. Our Linux ThinkPads are all hooked up to a docking station when we're at a desk.

Gutbloom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 06:44 PM

I am getting a macbook from work. I'm dismayed to find out that there are no true docking stations for apple laptops. I'm a teacher. I want to have my machine hooked up to a 32" television for display, I want to add speakers, an external hard drive, and a CD/DVD burner. I don't want to use a macbook keyboard. I'd like to use a regular keyboard and a mouse.

I use a iMac at home. I'm not PC chauvanist, but, years ago, I had a Dell docking station that allowed me to use a regular display, a regular keyboard and a mouse and yet, at the flip of a switch, I could pull out the laptop and take it on the road.

JRobinson
Sep 7, 2007, 12:40 PM

Are there any alternatives to the Bookendz docking station?

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by JRobinson View Post
Thats the only one I have been able to find. I think it may be the only one on the market as of now.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by JRobinson View Post
Unfortunately it's the only one I know of. Too bad it's both expensive and clumsy.

I still believe there would be a lot more and better docking stations if Apple would integrate some kind of docking port on the bottom of the MBP.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 8, 2007, 03:56 AM

Well, if you think about it, how should Apple design the docking station? The hinge prevents anything from being directly behind the computer, and if there's gap, it doesn't quite look Apple sleek anymore.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
Well, if you think about it, how should Apple design the docking station? The hinge prevents anything from being directly behind the computer, and if there's gap, it doesn't quite look Apple sleek anymore.
The docking station doesn't have to be behind the MBP where it would get in the way of the hinge.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 08:57 AM

Put the docking port on the bottom, like Dell does. Also provides a bit of airflow underneath.

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2008, 02:46 PM

no, your wrong

Cold Warrior
Mar 16, 2008, 02:54 PM

Zombie thread. Check the dates next time before replying to a post that's over a year old.

Forum Links
Forum Rules