Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What I Hate About That New Keyboard

What I Hate About That New Keyboard
tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2007, 01:16 AM

Still got my old iMac but I had to replace the keyboard and I bought the new thin one. It's a beauty and I like the gentle touch.... but I HATE the "Eject" button positioning. It's right next to "Delete!" What genius thought of that? I have accidentally ejected about 75 times in the past two weeks. I used to hate the previous keyboard for putting it in the upper rigt, where I often bumped it with my forearm while using my mouse, but then I only accidentally ejected a coupla times a week...

damn damn damn... stupid design...

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2007, 04:04 AM

Well, to be honest, that's not at all bad. Overall you like the keyboard and you only posted about one small concern. I have the new iMac with the new keyboard and I love it as well however I have never once mistaken the delete and eject key from one another. You'll just have to get used to it.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2007, 08:16 AM

It just like the MacBook keyboard, so it will take some getting use to. I have been using a MacBook for a year now and I hit the eject button a few time at first. Just wait, it'll grow on you.
Signature depreciated.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2007, 10:34 AM

What system are you using? On 10.4.10 Intel hitting eject does nothing (except in combination with modifier keys to sleep or reboot). To actually eject media you need to hit and hold eject for at least a second. I often hit eject by mistake, but since I only hit it quickly I don't ever actually eject a disk by accident.

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2007, 07:49 PM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2007, 08:01 PM

I'm surprised the eject button even works on this keyboard on 10.3.9 - it took a software update to get the function keys working in Tiger.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2007, 08:26 PM

in 10.3.9, Eject works, but I seem to have no volume control...

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
I have the new iMac with the new keyboard and I love it as well however I have never once mistaken the delete and eject key from one another. You'll just have to get used to it.
I guess I am a clumsy oaf...

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 27, 2007, 10:29 PM

No, you're not any clumsier than I am. But the eject button takes more than an accidental bump to make the drive eject. Yes, I hit the eject button now and then, and the '\' and the '=' and the ']', and still nothing bad happens. I do the same thing on my MBP without negative consequences. I figure I'll live and so will my computers.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules