Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard Rant

Leopard Rant (Page 2)
.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2007, 10:44 AM

Don't really know. But hopefully he can find the time to do an Aqua Extreme update for Leopard.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 18, 2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
...and lose the toolbar in the process. In Tiger, you can have the toolbar, but turn off the Sidebar. Can't do that in Leopard.
No poop? You can't? I guess since they can't windows to remember their positions or preferences they just make it so you can't change them. *sigh* I was hoping Leopard would not only fix this, but give us more choices. I guess it's all Steve's way or nothing.
As a bonus, here's another rant:
In Tiger, you can click-hold a folder in the Dock and navigate its contents via the pop-up menu. So, if you put your HD in the Dock, you have fast, one-click (-and-drag) access to your entire filesystem.
I do this with apps I use SOMETIMES.. but not all the time like my dock apps. I use it like a Apple menu ... so I am afraid of what you are about to say..
But watch out, here comes "Stacks" which replaces that with a useless, animated non-menu. Can you still get to the file-listing menu? Nope! Why would you want to when "Stacks" is so pretty? Never mind it takes 10x as long to get to the file you were interested in!
I haven't used stacks to say if I like it better or worse. But NOT having an option to switch is not a good thing.

Like I said, I keep feeling that Leopard was rushed out the door. The more I read on the net, and these forums, the more I want to wait for the 10.5.X updates.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 18, 2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
My only hope is that its a more consistent feel, apple seems to invoke a new theme (or update the existing one) with nearly every release but not carry it consistently through the OS and/or apps. If they started doing that perhaps the unfinished feeling would be reduced.
And that is exactly the problem. You see it, I see it, and a lot of other people do. Some don't care. Just like when 10.0.0 came out with those garrish pinstripes. Some people didn't care. But I am glad enough did that it made Apple remove them completely.

rafalski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2007, 11:16 AM

One feature is missing in the news, I wonder if they kept it in the production version: A2DP audio over bluetooth protocol - it's something that's been in windows and linuxes for years, but never in OSX. Until Leopard betas that is.

Why didn't Apple implement it before? Seems simple: allowing you to stream music to your stereo via bluetooth would render Airtunes via Airport useless.
Actually, A2DP is the main reason I am interested in upgrading to Leopard.
Why aren't they advertising it among the 300 features? Did it not make it to the final version or they just don't want to hurt airport sales?

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
No, the UI is *not* a matter of taste, it is a matter of the results of usability testing (testing which we haven't conducted). What you probably meant to say was that the *look* (or user experience, if you prefer the fancier term) is subject to taste.
These days the user testing is done exclusively on Steve Jobs.
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Windows Vista Home Basic upgrade (which in many ways is the closest Vista edition to OS X [no media apps, no virtualization support, etc]) is $73 retail.
$73 for a downgrade.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 18, 2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
These days the user testing is done exclusively on Steve Jobs.
Yup, it's pretty much the case. What Steve wants, Steve gets. I wont even go into the scroll thumb only at the corners of each window.. or how Apple tries to hide double scroll in its preferences even though it's still an option. Lots of people that have been dealing with Apple realize this. Hence my sig.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2007, 12:40 PM

Sounds like you're stating something as fact when you actually don't really know. I didn't think you did that, Kevin.
Vandelay Industries

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 18, 2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Sounds like you're stating something as fact when you actually don't really know. I didn't think you did that, Kevin.
1. Steve does have the final say in the GUI. This is factual. This isn't opinion.

2. I never said "And this is what goes on, and that is fact, and anyone else that disagrees is wrong" like those I was referring to. If someone came up to me and showed me where what I said was wrong, I'd freely admit to being wrong.

3. Thanks for contributing such a useful and well informed post that added nothing to this discussion but character assassinations and all out fanboyisms. You really showed me.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2007, 12:52 PM

Show me where this is factual. If you prove me wrong, then I'll apologize.

And how is that a character assassination or fanboyism?
Vandelay Industries

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 18, 2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Show me where this is factual. If you prove me wrong, then I'll apologize.
If you don't believe it, I simply don't care. It wont hurt me any.

I used to talk to a lot of people that worked for Apple at the time 10.0.0 was coming out. I'd ask them about why certain changes to the GUI was made. I was always given "Because it had been steve'd" they told me that Steve makes the final decisions as to what OS X eventually looks like.
And how is that a character assassination or fanboyism?
By attacking someone's character in the middle of a thread that isn't ABOUT their character I would say that was a Character assassination.

Not only that, I simply wasn't doing what you accused me of.

Now can we cut this out, and go back to speaking about Leopard?

Or are you going to keep going on and on making posts I'll just report or derailing instead of replying to?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If you don't believe it, I simply don't care.
That we can both agree on.
Vandelay Industries

OreoCookie
Oct 18, 2007, 01:03 PM

This thread is past its expiration date.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules