Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5.1 firewall and Skype

10.5.1 firewall and Skype
fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 16, 2007, 03:29 PM

After upgrading to 10.5.1, every time I launch Skype.app I got the same dialog box asking me if I want to allow it to accept incoming connections. My firewall setting is "Set access for specific services and applications" and Skype is in the list of applications with "Allow incoming connections".

The Skype version is 2.7.0.49 BETA. Anyone experiencing the same problem?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by fortepianissimo View Post
After upgrading to 10.5.1, every time I launch Skype.app I got the same dialog box asking me if I want to allow it to accept incoming connections. My firewall setting is "Set access for specific services and applications" and Skype is in the list of applications with "Allow incoming connections".

The Skype version is 2.7.0.49 BETA. Anyone experiencing the same problem?
Might be another code signing issue.

PaperNotes
Nov 16, 2007, 04:26 PM

You don't need to set a rule for Skype if you set Firewall to only essential services. Skype works.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
You don't need to set a rule for Skype if you set Firewall to only essential services. Skype works.
What??? Skype is an "essential service?"

I don't consider Skype to be an "essential service." That port should be closed if the firewall is set to "Only essential services."

PaperNotes
Nov 16, 2007, 04:37 PM

No no no. If you set Leopard's firewall to allow only essential services then you wouldn't have to create rules for apps like Skype. Skype works fine that way.

fortepianissimo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 16, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Might be another code signing issue.
I'm guessing in the effort to correct the old Skype problem quickly (10.5.0 only allows Skype to launch once if your firewall setting is ""Set access for specific services and applications"), Apple just whitelisted Skype so no code signing is done with Skype (so no change of binary could happen). But then OS X never remembers Skype's signature.

fortepianissimo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 16, 2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
No no no. If you set Leopard's firewall to allow only essential services then you wouldn't have to create rules for apps like Skype. Skype works fine that way.
Hm I failed to see how this replies to Person Man's question...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2007, 06:12 PM

Maybe I'm being stupid, but what the hell does keeping the port for Skype open in the firewall by default (by designating Skype an "essential service") have to do with code signing?

fortepianissimo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 16, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Maybe I'm being stupid, but what the hell does keeping the port for Skype open in the firewall by default (by designating Skype an "essential service") have to do with code signing?
Leopard Firewall + Code Signing Breaks Skype (And Other Applications) | securosis.com

Or this:

Mac OS X Leopard firewall breaks programs - heise Security

Forum Links
Forum Rules