Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 130)
starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I know, and I don't feel either format is currently consumer ready.
How the hell is a disc format not "consumer ready"?

Seriously, your logic just befuddles me sometimes, or you just don't use the correct words to express what it is you're really saying.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
How the hell is a disc format not "consumer ready"?

Seriously, your logic just befuddles me sometimes, or you just don't use the correct words to express what it is you're really saying.
While I don't necessarily agree with him, how hard is it to understand that constantly updating firmware/specs can mean the hardware is not consumer ready??

All glory to the hypnotoad.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
While I don't necessarily agree with him, how hard is it to understand that constantly updating firmware/specs can mean the hardware is not consumer ready??
How "constantly" does this happen? My TiVo updates itself more than a BR player ever will and it's all done in the background, transparently.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 10:27 AM

How "constantly" does this happen? My TiVo updates itself more than a BR player ever will and it's all done in the background, transparently.
Somehow I knew you'd latch on to that part of the statement that has nothing to do with the point.

But let me know the next time your BD or HD DVD player updates itself in the background transparently.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 10:29 AM

Somehow I knew you'd latch on to that part of the statement that has nothing to do with the point.

But let me know the next time your BD or HD DVD player updates itself in the background transparently.
I <3 my PS3. It just gently tells me it needs a firmware update. Oh, the cool thing is that it doesn't affect PLAYING MOVIES.

Just letting you know.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Paul Erickson, DisplaySearch director of DVD and HD Market Research, told Video Business that the competition has resulted in price drops coming at previously unseen speeds. The result has been an explosion of sales that puts the next-gen players ahead of DVD, if you compare their first couple of years. "There is a much larger spike at the end of the year for next-generation DVD due to strong performances by both formats for November and December, as well as heavy competition-driven promotions for both Black Friday and the December holiday season," Erickson said.

Be that as it may, $300 for a Blu-ray player is still too rich for many. Depending on which models you focus on, Blu-ray players dropped an average of 40 percent in price over the year. Now that Blu-ray has a commanding lead among the studios, you might think that a decline in player pricing will slow. The Blu-ray Disc Association has every reason to keep the momentum going, however, even if HD DVD were vanquished tomorrow. Blu-ray still need to compete with both standard DVD and download services.
I paid $299 US for a DVD player in the very first year of DVD's release in North America.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 10:40 AM

I <3 my PS3. It just gently tells me it needs a firmware update. Oh, the cool thing is that it doesn't affect PLAYING MOVIES.

Just letting you know.
Ah gotcha - so still not a background process though? Cool beans.

And the PS3 is the *only* player that works that way.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 10:53 AM

Can you name ANY product that does a firmware update in the background? It's a FIRMWARE update.

EDIT: Correction: any machine COULD do it in the background if it stored the firmware for later installation. The PS3 might actually do that.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 11:50 AM

Can you name ANY product that does a firmware update in the background? It's a FIRMWARE update.

EDIT: Correction: any machine COULD do it in the background if it stored the firmware for later installation. The PS3 might actually do that.
Like you said - Tivos and cable boxes do it. But they're online all the time as soon as you plug them into the cable, so it's not like you need to set them up. And they typically do their updates very early in the morning when statistically less people are using them.

The point as I understood it was that hunting down firmware on a website or enabling your device on a network and remembering to check for firmware updates is not normal for consumer electronics devices and therefor not "consumer ready". I don't think it's that far of a reach. However for systems like the PS3 and Xbox 360 they're going to be setup for online access anyway, due to the online gaming that is done on them, so it's a bit easier for those updates to propagate (plus most times those updates are forced if you want to actually play the games).

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 12:12 PM

Just because it's new doesn't mean it's not something that's going to latch on in the near future. As it is, lots of devices are starting to require phone lines/internet nowadays. Even VCRs with their clocks were new at some point, now they're the norm.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 12:16 PM

Just because it's new doesn't mean it's not something that's going to latch on in the near future. As it is, lots of devices are starting to require phone lines/internet nowadays. Even VCRs with their clocks were new at some point, now they're the norm.
And if these devices had built in Wifi and automatically checked for updates I would agree. But I would think that the majority of people do not have ethernet connections in their living rooms with their home theater equipment, so having an ethernet jack probably doesn't help them. And the number of people that would hunt around for firmware online is equally low.

If you don't make it easy it won't get done.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 12:47 PM

Woolworths? ahahahahahaha

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I think the laughing is for HD-DVD if woolworths doesn't even think they are worthy.

PaperNotes
Jan 28, 2008, 12:53 PM

HD-DVD ain't woolworth sh!t!

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
They're big in Europe still.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 01:12 PM

Europe? ahahahahahaha
just kidding euros

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 01:55 PM

.... how hard is it to understand that constantly updating firmware/specs can mean the hardware is not consumer ready??
Now I finally understand. My MacBook Pro is not consumer ready either. Nor my iPhone. Nor my Playstation console. Nor my XBox 360. Nor my iPod. I've got to go check my toaster and fridge for ethernet ports.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Now I finally understand. My MacBook Pro is not consumer ready either. Nor my iPhone. Nor my Playstation console. Nor my XBox 360. Nor my iPod. I've got to go check my toaster and fridge for ethernet ports.
Come to think of it I have to use a ROM update on my universal remote and external DVD-R. They must both also not have been consumer ready.

Companies should wait years until everything is 100% perfect and THEN release it even if it is horrible dated by then, consumers will wait.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 02:15 PM

My MacBook Pro is not consumer ready either. Nor my iPhone.
These devices are somewhat different. The consumer expects (grudgingly) that you'll have to keep these devices updated. I work as a computer tech, and I see a lot of people who don't even upgrade their computers, so I'm not sure this is the best example.

Nor my Playstation console. Nor my XBox 360. Nor my iPod. I've got to go check my toaster and fridge for ethernet ports.
The PS3 (I assume) and the XBox 360 both update automatically with very little user intervention. The iPod updates pretty automatically as well.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 02:23 PM

The PS3 (I assume) and the XBox 360 both update automatically with very little user intervention. The iPod updates pretty automatically as well.
Ya very little as long as you are connected to the net. Just like all those HD-DVD players hooked up with ethernet.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 02:32 PM

Alright, well that's it. I'm done trying to help people understand someone else's position that isn't even my own. Sheesh, you people need to lighten up. A lot.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 03:13 PM

Ya very little as long as you are connected to the net. Just like all those HD-DVD players hooked up with ethernet.
Oh c'mon. You're seriously going to compare having to burn a disc on a Bluray player to a dialog where you hit a button on other devices?

I highly doubt there are very many HD-DVD players out there that aren't on ethernet. People have their XBox's on ethernet, I doubt the concept of ethernet in the A/V cabinet is beyond people.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 03:22 PM

Oh c'mon. You're seriously going to compare having to burn a disc on a Bluray player to a dialog where you hit a button on other devices?

I highly doubt there are very many HD-DVD players out there that aren't on ethernet. People have their XBox's on ethernet, I doubt the concept of ethernet in the A/V cabinet is beyond people.
Whatever man I still don't see your point or where you think you are going with this.

Now that you have sour grapes and were 100% wrong again regarding HD-DVD predictions you are on some "blu-ray also lost" rant.

The FACT is Rom updates and all these "final specs" were not an issue 13 months ago when BR started to beat HD so even with all its downsides so if you think it matters now you're more bonkers than we think.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 03:26 PM

Now that you have sour grapes and were 100% wrong again regarding HD-DVD predictions you are on some "blu-ray also lost" rant.
I don't think I ever predicted HD-DVD would win. I mean, go look for a quote. I talked about why I liked HD-DVD, I never predicted it would win. In fact, I consistently talked about how I didn't like optical media. That should have been a clue enough for you.

The FACT is Rom updates and all these "final specs" were not an issue 13 months ago when BR started to beat HD so even with all its downsides so if you think it matters now you're more bonkers than we think.
Yes, let's not talk about the deficiencies of a format because a tiny insignificant part of the market has decided to invest in it.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 28, 2008, 04:08 PM

Indeed. I have the TiVo and HD-DVD player both on ethernet.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 04:31 PM

There are lots of HD DVD players out there that aren't on the net. That's one reason why ISO downloads for firmware updates remain popular.

Not that everyone with an internet hookup for their player is going to make use of net extras, but Paramount estimated approximately 30% of Transformers HD DVD owners accessed their net extras.

So, net extra access is popular, as 30% is fairly big number, but that still means 70% of Transformers owners don't access the net extras, and you can be sure a large chunk of that 70% don't access them because they're not hooked up.

OTOH, both my players are on the net.

P.S. Somebody got banned...

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 04:32 PM

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Ha, I read his paying female member of your family comment in another thread today, and I thought to myself, "Yeah, this guy is due for a ban soon."

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 04:40 PM

You know when I was 11 years old I used to have discussions in the same tone as this entire thread - but that was about the Amiga vs. the ST.

Good times.

I seriously hope that most of you, goMac especially, is around that age. It's the internets so you know, I can't tell.

You just sound like an 11 year old. Arguing and apologizing a format?! Astounding.

I even stopped apologizing Apple when I was about 18 and that is a far more cerebral discussion. At least Apple isn't dead.. like certain HD formats.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 28, 2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
You know when I was 11 years old I used to have discussions in the same tone as this entire thread - but that was about the Amiga vs. the ST.

Good times.

I seriously hope that most of you, goMac especially, is around that age. It's the internets so you know, I can't tell.

You just sound like an 11 year old. Arguing and apologizing a format?! Astounding.

I even stopped apologizing Apple when I was about 18 and that is a far more cerebral discussion. At least Apple isn't dead.. like certain HD formats.

V
How old were you when you perfected art of the insult?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 05:23 PM

I'm sure there is no way to tell what my age is.

I haven't seen any apologizing for HD-DVD.

No one in this thread is making apologies for HD-DVD. Only a complete Bluray fanboy would mistake posting articles on HD-DVD for apologizing for HD-DVD.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 06:51 PM

No one in this thread is making apologies for HD-DVD. Only a complete Bluray fanboy would mistake posting articles on HD-DVD for apologizing for HD-DVD.
And only a complete Nintendo fanboy would mistake neutral posts as anti-Nintendo. You have a reputation, you know....

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 07:08 PM

And only a complete Nintendo fanboy would mistake neutral posts as anti-Nintendo. You have a reputation, you know....
I just evaluated market trends. Was I wrong about the Wii?

Seriously, I own more 360 games than I do Wii games.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 07:10 PM

I don't think I ever predicted HD-DVD would win. I mean, go look for a quote. I talked about why I liked HD-DVD, I never predicted it would win. In fact, I consistently talked about how I didn't like optical media. That should have been a clue enough for you.
Ok so you don't like optical media but just spent the past 2 years posting hundreds of replies in this thread as to why HD-DVD which is your choice in the wars is the better way to go. convincing.

Oh and how the Xbox 360 was going to win this round of game system wars. Uh ya.

Pretty smart 21 year old you are.

And I would love to see the data that backs up your claim that almost all HD-DVD players are hooked up with ethernet because lots of people do it for the Xbox.

The Xbox is in another category as it is bought by geeky gamers who live for the internet and hook it up in their bedrooms with their computers rather than a HD-DVD owner which is supposed to be the average consumer and they sure as hell don't have ethernet in the livingroom.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 07:12 PM

Ok so you don't like optical media but just spent the past 2 years posting hundreds of replies in this thread as to why HD-DVD which is your choice in the wars is the better way to go. convincing.
And my reasoning, if you actually read my posts, was that at least with HD-DVD I could pull the content off the optical disk.

Oh and how the Xbox 360 was going to win this round of game system wars. Uh ya.
Ah. So first I'm a Nintendo fanboy. Now I'm a Microsoft shill. If you're going to call me a fanboy, it helps to decide who exactly I'm a fanboy for...

The Xbox is in another category as it is bought by geeky gamers who live for the internet and hook it up in their bedrooms with their computers rather than a HD-DVD owner which is supposed to be the average consumer and they sure as hell don't have ethernet in the livingroom.
What about Tivo? Are you going to tell me next that people run there TiVo's without ethernet?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 07:12 PM

I just evaluated market trends. Was I wrong about the Wii?

Seriously, I own more 360 games than I do Wii games.
Considering you said the 360 was going to beat the Wii and PS3 this round ya I say you are 100% wrong since the Wii is outselling them all and now the PS3 is overtaking the 360 in Europe.

You can bet the PS3 will also beat the 360 in the US in a year or so.

So ya, wrong as always.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 07:14 PM

Considering you said the 360 was going to beat the Wii and PS3 this round ya I say you are 100% wrong since the Wii is outselling them all and now the PS3 is overtaking the 360 in Europe.
Again, decide what I'm a fanboy for if you're going to call me a fanboy.

I said there was a decent change that the Wii could overtake the 360. Regardless, you were ridiculously wrong in that debate.

You can bet the PS3 will also beat the 360 in the US in a year or so.
Because last time you said that it turned out to be true...

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 09:00 PM

... I consistently talked about how I didn't like optical media....
Yeah I was going to say you shouldn't have wasted your life posting in a thread about optical media as well!

There are lots of HD DVD players out there that aren't on the net.
I don't have an HD DVD player. Why would someone have it hooked up to the ethernet? To play a game which is based on the movie or something? I'm asking.

And who got banned?

And my reasoning, if you actually read my posts, was that at least with HD-DVD I could pull the content off the optical disk.
What about Tivo? Are you going to tell me next that people run there TiVo's without ethernet?
Are you saying that you have somehow cracked HD DVD and can rip them or something?
And I don't have a TiVO either.... why would they be hooked to the ethernet? I thought they used a phone line, (and the cable of course).

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 09:06 PM

Wanted to pick up an HD-A3 or HD-A30 at circuit city because of the clearance price of $100 and $149 for my parents. Too bad it was out of stock at both local circuit city close to me. From the looks of it, they readjusted their price back to $149 and $199. Circuit City was clearing out the old models with Bourne Identity and 300. The news ones come with Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 10:46 PM

Are you saying that you have somehow cracked HD DVD and can rip them or something?
Advanced Access Content System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I don't have a TiVO either.... why would they be hooked to the ethernet? I thought they used a phone line, (and the cable of course).
The older TiVo's could use phone lines, but I think most people probably have them on ethernet...

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2008, 11:34 PM

How is this relevant to this thread and how is it any of your business?

I hope you aren't a snitch because nobody likes a tattletale.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2008, 11:44 PM

With Woolworth's dumping HD DVD in the UK and both Best Buy and Circuit City dumping their remaining HD DVD player stock and Walmart dumping their Venturer stock how can any of you guys still believe HD DVD has a future?

I've read the clueless denials from self-proclaimed "managers" at Circuit City denying that the players are going on clearance but there has already been confirmation that Circuit City corporate will not be refilling their stock of HD DVD players at the warehouse level. The individual stores will still be able replenish their local "stock" from the warehouse but once those units have been sold, no more stock will be available.
--
Aristotle

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
How is this relevant to this thread and how is it any of your business?

I hope you aren't a snitch because nobody likes a tattletale.
Who was it?
( Last edited by mrtew; Jan 29, 2008 at 12:13 AM. )

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 11:57 PM

With Woolworth's dumping HD DVD in the UK and both Best Buy and Circuit City dumping their remaining HD DVD player stock and Walmart dumping their Venturer stock how can any of you guys still believe HD DVD has a future?

I've read the clueless denials from self-proclaimed "managers" at Circuit City denying that the players are going on clearance but there has already been confirmation that Circuit City corporate will not be refilling their stock of HD DVD players at the warehouse level. The individual stores will still be able replenish their local "stock" from the warehouse but once those units have been sold, no more stock will be available.
Stop making up stuff unless you have proof. Woolworth only sells movies. Don't sell them selling hidef players.

Buy Childrens Cheap Toys, gifts, garden furniture & kids outdoor toys - Woolworths.co.uk

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 11:59 PM

We don't think HD-DVD has a commercial feature. But of course if you stopped accusing us of that, how would you be able to keep arguing about Bluray vs. HD-DVD?

Some people are choosing to keep their HD-DVD players for the time being. That's entirely different than rationalizing HD-DVD as having a long term commercial future. I mean, do you really expect HD-DVD player owners to immediately go out and buy a Bluray player?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2008, 12:10 AM

Yes. Stop sitting around posting about how HD should have won and how it was better and go buy a PS3. Yes. That's exactly what we expect. That's why they called it a war. The loser surrenders, they don't just keep saying they should have won.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2008, 12:14 AM

Oh, it was your girlfriend eh?
What you on about eh? I don't know you or that other person. Stop embarrassing your fellow Canadians that is assuming you actually are one.

If you are an adult, behave like one.
--
Aristotle

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Stop making up stuff unless you have proof. Woolworth only sells movies. Don't sell them selling hidef players.

Buy Childrens Cheap Toys, gifts, garden furniture & kids outdoor toys - Woolworths.co.uk
You might want to take a remedial reading class there boy. I never said that they were dumping players. I said that they were dumping HD DVD. I did however say that Circuit City, Best Buy and Wal-mart were dumping players through clearance tags.
--
Aristotle

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 12:50 AM

You might want to take a remedial reading class there boy. I never said that they were dumping players. I said that they were dumping HD DVD. I did however say that Circuit City, Best Buy and Wal-mart were dumping players through clearance tags.
I never said you said Woolworth sells HDDVD players. I said don't make up stuff about Circuit City and Best Buy dropping HDDVD players. I just wanted to clarify that Woolworth only sells HDDVD movies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules