Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Phone getting dangerously hot, and Verizon won't do anything

Phone getting dangerously hot, and Verizon won't do anything
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2008, 08:09 PM

For some reason my RAZR has been getting superhot when it receives calls and texts. I took it in today to have it looked at. I was able to replicate the issue quite well, but the tech said that there was nothing they could do. I asked if I could get a replacement or maybe just get another phone and he said no, I'd half to wait until August when I can upgrade. This sort of ticks me off. The phone is gets so warm that it starts feeling melty around the edges and soft (the heat comes from near the mouthpiece area, not the battery). In my mind, it's a hazard. I'm just waiting for it to catch fire. What should I do? I have the phone off and the battery isn't attached, but I'm gonna have to use it sooner or later. I'm thinking about going back and talking to a manager or something.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2008, 08:20 PM

I would find a different store to take the phone to, if possible. The manager probably won't do anything as it seems what the tech says is end all be all at wireless companies. Seems like the tech wasn't even willing to work with you. He didn't even offer to give you a new battery to see if that might be the problem. I would think they would at least offer to see if something that cheap would fix a problem. If you call CS will they ship out a replacement to you? I don't have Verizon but that is how my carrier works. If I have any problem with a phone at all I just call and let them know and the next day I will have a new phone sitting outside the door.
( Last edited by Kevin Moon; Feb 16, 2008 at 10:47 PM. )

design219
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I'm thinking about going back and talking to a manager or something.
A bold move young man.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Moon View Post
I would find a different store to take the phone to, if possible. The manager will probably won't do anything as it seems what the tech says is end all be all at wireless companies. Seems like the tech wasn't even willing to work with you. He didn't even offer to give you a new battery to see if that might be the problem. I would think they would at least offer to see if something that cheap would fix a problem. If you call CS will they ship out a replacement to you? I don't have Verizon but that is how my carrier works. If I have any problem with a phone at all I just call and let them know and the next day I will have a new phone sitting outside the door.
Finding another store won't be an issue, there's like five of them here I replaced the battery (with my own money, mind you Verizon) after it was lasting for about 20 minutes of talk time a couple months ago. The battery life has been very good until recently. It's not the battery heating up though, it's the area by the mic. I will call customer service (or just walk in, I'm a mile from a Verizon office building with customer service) soon. However, with the other issues that I've had with them in the past, getting anything, even admittance of an issue is like pulling hen's teeth.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2008, 11:51 PM

I guess I'm glad I have always lived in areas Verizon doesn't offer service. I have talked to others with them and they have said it is hard to get things done. Bad batteries can cause some strange problems on cell phones. Had one go bad and the phone stopped picking up the 1900 band. New battery and all was well.

Good luck on getting it fixed and while you are at the other store if the tech says it isn't a problem talk to the manager. Worst thing he can say is sorry but we won't replace it. Not what you want but not much else you can do with cell companies.

Cold Warrior
Feb 17, 2008, 12:01 AM

I think if you somehow work in that you've heard stories about these things exploding or catching fire, you'll put that same thought into the manager's mind. And who wants to be the manager that turns away a potential PR nightmare if it were to explode?

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 12:28 AM

Also, you can call the online tech support number, and politely but firmly keep insisting on talking to a second- or third- or fourth-tier support supervisor. Might have a better chance going that route.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2008, 01:12 AM

When I had the SLVR I know it had a 1 year warranty from Motorola. It had a slight buzzing noise whenever I made calls so I called Motorola a month before the year was up and they sent me a brand new one within days. I just had to keep the battery and the battery cover and of course send in the old one.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2008, 02:24 AM

Since when have you been having this problem?
My gf's phone is having the same issue since yesterday. She says the battery has given up too. Coincidently Verizon has apparently switched their system to satellite or something (I don't know the details), but could that be the cause of this?

Cold Warrior
Feb 17, 2008, 02:32 AM

I haven't heard anything about that. Normal cell phones are not capable of sending or receiving satellite signals.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
Since when have you been having this problem?
My gf's phone is having the same issue since yesterday. She says the battery has given up too. Coincidently Verizon has apparently switched their system to satellite or something (I don't know the details), but could that be the cause of this?
That's when my problems started too! Wierd!

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2008, 03:37 PM

Alright, here's an update. Went into the Verizon office. They sent an email to a store to give me a new phone. I went to the store, had a new RAZR waiting for me, a long with $150 (very nice Bluetooth headset, two cases, and a car charger and AC adapter) of accessories that they gave to me for free for my trouble. I was pretty impressed.

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2008, 11:56 PM

That turned out pretty nice for you. congrats on getting good service from a cell phone company.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2008, 11:06 AM

Ha ha, I was very surprised about the accessories. I figured that they'd give me a new phone this time, but all the extras? That's like unheard of from a cell service provider. Especially since the phone was out of warranty by a month.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 24, 2008, 11:26 AM

From an electronics standpoint it sounds like Something Very Bad had happened to that phone. Maybe the antenna connection was broken, maybe one of the amplifier transistors was shorting, but Something Very Bad indeed. Getting that phone out of your hands was Good For Verizon (keeping you from being injured and all that) and it cost them very little. Kudos to them (for once) and congratulations on your positive overall experience.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2008, 01:49 PM

Yeah, the guy at the office didn't even look at my phone or test it or anything. He said right of the bat that it was probably a short, so they'd just replace the whole thing. Their spokespeople can't repel PR of that magnitude.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2008, 01:56 PM

Gratz on getting some loot from Verizon.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Yeah, the guy at the office didn't even look at my phone or test it or anything. He said right of the bat that it was probably a short, so they'd just replace the whole thing. Their spokespeople can't repel PR of that magnitude.
Now thats service.

Forum Links
Forum Rules