Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Using a MacBook Air + 20" cinema display

Using a MacBook Air + 20" cinema display
Naplander
Senior User
Mar 13, 2008, 07:56 AM

Guys,

I was worried about the lack of ports (FW, USB) on the MBA which has steered me away from getting one. If I buy a cinema display, will I be able to hook it up to the MBA and then use the ports on the display for my USB mouse and firewire back up drive?

In other words, does the MBA send all this information via the DVI cable to and from the display?

If it does, this would really be cool, and shift my thinking for this combination.

Thanks
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

ibook_steve
Mar 13, 2008, 09:23 AM

No. You'd have to hook up USB separately as you would if you connect the Cinema Display to any computer. USB is not included in a DVI connection.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Naplander  (op)
Senior User
Mar 13, 2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks Steve.

So I wouldn't be able to use the Firewire ports on the display (with the MPA) because the MBA doesn't have Firewire?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Naplander View Post
So I wouldn't be able to use the Firewire ports on the display (with the MPA) because the MBA doesn't have Firewire?
That is correct.

The once cable coming from the ACD splits up into power, DVI, USB, and FW plugs at the other end. Obviously you must connect power and DVI. To use the USB and/or FW ports on the back of the ACD these ends need to be connected to working ports on your Mac (or a hub connected to your Mac). If you cannot connect the ACD's FW cable to your Mac, you can't use the FW ports on the back of the ACD.

So MBA users can use the USB ports on the back of the ACD, but not the FW ports.

Naplander  (op)
Senior User
Mar 13, 2008, 10:36 AM

OK - thanks for the info.

Guess I'll be selling my Firewire drive then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules