Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So Will PayPal Ban Safari?

So Will PayPal Ban Safari?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2008, 01:14 AM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2008, 02:47 AM

Maybe Safari users are not as stupid as the average IE or Firefox user ?

-t

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2008, 02:51 AM

Phishing stuff has to be next in the line of features for future Safari versions (not talking webkit, just Safari). Right?

-Owl

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2008, 03:20 AM

Someone pointed to this image on AI - it seems some anti-phishing support was present and then removed:

http://images.appleinsider.com/leopa...anti-phish.jpg

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2008, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Someone pointed to this image on AI - it seems some anti-phishing support was present and then removed:

http://images.appleinsider.com/leopa...anti-phish.jpg
Apple has to have some features to introduce in 10.6
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Apple has to have some features to introduce in 10.6
Has to in 10.6? I think they have to address the issue now (or near term) and not a couple of years down the road.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Maybe Safari users are not as stupid as the average IE or Firefox user ?

-t
If anything, Safari users may be *more* naive than the average IE or Firefox user. How many of us encourage our wives, parents and grandparents to use Macs to reduce our tech support load? How many of our wives, parents and grandparents pay no attention whatsoever to a typical URL and would easily fall prey to a phishing scam?

IE users are commonly targeted with viruses and adware, and therefore might actually be *more* aware of the dangers presented over the Internet than your typical Safari user who sits safely complacent behind their imagined shield of MacOS.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Has to in 10.6? I think they have to address the issue now (or near term) and not a couple of years down the road.
But how will they get over 300+features like they did with Leopard?
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
But how will they get over 300+features like they did with Leopard?
Precisely
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 18, 2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
If anything, Safari users may be *more* naive than the average IE or Firefox user. How many of us encourage our wives, parents and grandparents to use Macs to reduce our tech support load? How many of our wives, parents and grandparents pay no attention whatsoever to a typical URL and would easily fall prey to a phishing scam?
I scoffed at phishing protection, but I found out a couple weeks ago I fell for a facebook phishing scam, and someone used my account to post spam on the walls of about 70 of my friends. It took me 20 minutes to clean that all up.

kelso
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2008, 07:39 PM

Hmm...I haven't ran into any problems. I've never been redirected or anything to a phishing page. Plus isn't it adware or fake e-mails that trick users to phishing pages? As far as I know, there isn't any spyware or adware for Mac....well last I checked...

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2008, 08:02 PM

I'd say the most common phishing scheme starts with an email link. It makes sense for Safari to offer protection, especially given that Firefox and IE are introducing it.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by kelso View Post
Hmm...I haven't ran into any problems. I've never been redirected or anything to a phishing page. Plus isn't it adware or fake e-mails that trick users to phishing pages? As far as I know, there isn't any spyware or adware for Mac....well last I checked...
Usually through a fake email. Macs aren't immune to that. Phishing protection in a browser alerts the user to the possibility that the site may not be what it claims to be.

hayesk
Apr 18, 2008, 11:01 PM

Usually through a fake email. Macs aren't immune to that. Phishing protection in a browser alerts the user to the possibility that the site may not be what it claims to be.
Both Mail and Safari should get anti-phishing features.

However, it's the EV Certificates that I don't agree with. They don't actually provide more security but cost much more to get one. It's just a scheme for Verisign to get more money for certificates.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2008, 11:52 PM

I actually keep a good chunk of money in my paypal because as far as 'savings account interest', their rate is pretty good. But obviously if paypal decided to start blocking safari, that money would go bye bye. Which is what this thread was about :-D

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2008, 11:57 PM

You keep money in Paypal ?

Seriously, this is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Don't you know that Paypal can freeze your account for any and no reason, even dumb and stupid mistakes on their part ?

-t

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2008, 12:03 AM

I hardly use ebay at all these days. I do very little with my paypal account other than let money sit in it. It has dropped now, but the interest was at 5.05% for years, thats pretty good.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 12:05 AM

You can get as much and more at a reputable online bank. I see absolutely no need to keep any money in Paypal.

-t

moep
Senior User
Apr 19, 2008, 12:45 AM

Just browse over to the paypalsucks Forums and check a few of those threads.
You'll stop caring about Paypal's Safari browser support after a minute of reading or so.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2008, 03:23 AM

You can get as much and more at a reputable online bank. I see absolutely no need to keep any money in Paypal.

-t
EmigrantDirect was at 5.15% a few months ago, but it is now only 2.75%

Luckily Apple has gained ~21% since I bought it a month or so ago

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2008, 03:30 AM

Yeah, paypal's interest is extremely competitive for a savings, not investment account. Everything is in the tank right now but it's been over 5% for a long time, thats very good. Plus its easy to access and there are times it comes in very handy. Like when I bought my new mountain bike. I picked it up in person and just paypal'd the guy $2500. I know paypal can suck but you can avoid high risk situations *like ebay*. If you think something might be sketchy, just use a credit card, they'll have your back. My saving/checking account at my local bank gets 0.5% interest.

mipes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2008, 07:10 AM

it should ban itself

mipes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2008, 07:13 AM

i mean the biggest issue is with their system not with browsers

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2008, 03:12 PM

ban safari? Unpossible. That would open the door for google checkout to take off.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 03:55 PM

This is a coincidence - my copies of Safari banned PayPal years ago.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2008, 04:01 PM

How would these phishing blocks work? How do they know when a web page is supposed to look like paypal for example?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
How would these phishing blocks work? How do they know when a web page is supposed to look like paypal for example?
I thought they work with blacklisted URLs.

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I hardly use ebay at all these days. I do very little with my paypal account other than let money sit in it. It has dropped now, but the interest was at 5.05% for years, thats pretty good.
Bank of Internet offers 2% for a savings account and 3.46% for money market accounts and CDs — and they have the added bonus of being an actual bank.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
ban safari? Unpossible. That would open the door for google checkout to take off.
lol

Safari has *very* limited appeal. I doubt any business would feel the difference of that pos being taken off the market.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
lol

Safari has *very* limited appeal. I doubt any business would feel the difference of that pos being taken off the market.
Yes, it's people like YOU that make idiotic business decisions.

Safari might now have the largest share, but Safari user have plenty of coin.
Piss them off, and see your business go somewhere else. Guaranteed.

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 04:51 PM

Yes, as a primarily Mac-based browser, Safari has limited appeal to businesses. But if you don't feel the Mac is significant in any way, I have to wonder what you're doing on a Mac discussion forum.
Chuck
___

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yes, as a primarily Mac-based browser, Safari has limited appeal to businesses. But if you don't feel the Mac is significant in any way, I have to wonder what you're doing on a Mac discussion forum.
Safari does not equal Mac. Not liking Safari does not equal not liking Mac.

I had a friend who, many years ago, really liked a particular Microsoft mouse, but purchased the more expensive Apple one because he felt he must.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2008, 06:05 PM

and i remember correctly, he went back to the microsoft mouse.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 06:22 PM

Safari does not equal Mac. Not liking Safari does not equal not liking Mac.
No, but thinking Safari insignificant does more or less equal thinking Mac insignificant, since Safari is the default and most popular browser on the Mac.
Chuck
___

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2008, 08:02 PM

No, but thinking Safari insignificant does more or less equal thinking Mac insignificant, since Safari is the default and most popular browser on the Mac.
Like was said above by someone else, Safari does not equal Mac. If Safari was suddenly gone tomorrow (oh the horrors!) everyone that is not already using it would move to Firefox (or Flock or Opera) in about 3 seconds. And if PayPal did not allow Safari to use its site, people would use FireFox when they wanted to do PayPal.

I use multiple browsers depending on what I am looking at, it's really not a big deal. Sooo, the moral of the story is that you people should probably just take a deep breath and get a grip, it's just a browser for crying out loud.

As we all know, Safari will most likely just get an update to support the green security bar. *Whew* crisis averted!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2008, 08:18 PM

You just said "No, but yes"

I prefer MacOS to Windows. I prefer Firefox to IE. I prefer IE to Safari.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Like was said above by someone else, Safari does not equal Mac. If Safari was suddenly gone tomorrow (oh the horrors!) everyone that is not already using it would move to Firefox (or Flock or Opera) in about 3 seconds. And if PayPal did not allow Safari to use its site, people would use FireFox when they wanted to do PayPal.

I use multiple browsers depending on what I am looking at, it's really not a big deal.
That's exactly my point. You use multiple browsers, so this is not really a big deal for you. You're projecting your computer usage patterns onto the majority of users. You and I are not typical. A lot of people just use Safari and that's it. I support fledgling Mac users seven days a week, and I know from experience, if your site doesn't work on the one browser that's in their Dock, they are just going to decide your site is broken and leave. They are not going to track down Opera, Firefox, iCab, Flock and seven other browsers to compare and contrast.

You just said "No, but yes"
No, I didn't. I'm not equating Safari with Macs. I'm saying that Safari is an extremely freakin' major Mac app — as in, the only browser that comes installed on any Mac — so the only way it could be insignificant is if the Mac platform as a whole doesn't matter. You can think Safari is no good and it doesn't mean the Mac is no good, and you can think Safari is slow without thinking the Mac is slow, but the only way something that is significant on the Mac could be insignificant in the big picture is if the Mac itself is insignificant. Does that make sense to you?

I prefer MacOS to Windows. I prefer Firefox to IE. I prefer IE to Safari.
I'm not sure why Web standards bother you so much, but I guess that's OK. I personally think Firefox is a terrible Mac program (although I do appreciate the free coffee breaks due to random lockups), but it's OK as a PC program.
Chuck
___

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2008, 08:59 PM

Paypal issued a statement late today that they have no intention of banning Safari. They were more in the mind set of IE4 on Win 98 as a problem. Case closed. Close thread.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2008, 09:52 PM

link to the issued statement please

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2008, 09:58 PM

No, I didn't. I'm not equating Safari with Macs. I'm saying that Safari is an extremely freakin' major Mac app — as in, the only browser that comes installed on any Mac — so the only way it could be insignificant is if the Mac platform as a whole doesn't matter. You can think Safari is no good and it doesn't mean the Mac is no good, and you can think Safari is slow without thinking the Mac is slow, but the only way something that is significant on the Mac could be insignificant in the big picture is if the Mac itself is insignificant. Does that make sense to you?
I can understand the logic that leads you to your conclusion, in that Mac users who aren't aware of other browsers might be screwed if PayPal were to block Safari, though I still disagree that Safari being insignificant = Mac being insignificant. The only reason that Safari is an "extremely freakin' major" Mac app is because it's the only browser that Apple chooses to let a Mac come installed with. At one time, IE was the only browser that came installed on any Mac.

But, if Safari being insignificant does= Mac being insignificant, then Apple had better pick up the pace and bring Safari up to par with the other major browsers.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Paypal issued a statement late today that they have no intention of banning Safari.
This is still not a good reason for using PayPal for anything, ever.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 19, 2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
link to the issued statement please
Browsers - PayPal: Safari Not Among 'Unsafe Browsers' - Ryan Naraine's Security Watch

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2008, 10:16 PM

thanks lammy

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2008, 10:21 PM

*opps*
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Apr 20, 2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: didn't check to see which thread I was in)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2008, 06:51 PM

The irony with PayPal wanting browsers to support Extended Validation certificates is that they themselves did not implement them correctly on their site and Opera for example will not show the green address bar on paypal.com:

"I have started to notice something that could become a problem: Not all EV sites, such as Verisign's and PayPal's sites, are coded the way I think they should be coded, or the way Opera's EV support need to be able to recognize them as EV sites.

[…] Opera's EV support does not consider the site to be an EV site."

It ain't EV 'til it's EV, all EV - Implementer's notes - by Yngve Nysæter Pettersen

mipes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2008, 07:36 AM

You keep money in Paypal ?

Seriously, this is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Don't you know that Paypal can freeze your account for any and no reason, even dumb and stupid mistakes on their part ?

-t
that's true. it's useful for payments but absolutely insecure (and not only for the above reason) for keepin money

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 10:34 AM

Ebay/Paypal are now blocking Safari. That will make Paypal payments so much safer, as soon as phishing sites introduce the Safari-blocking as well.

http://macnews.de/news/111232.html

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2008, 10:38 AM

Yeah, I'll get right on using Internet Explorer for Mac instead.

Does changing the user agent get past it?
( Last edited by zro; Sep 19, 2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: "get")

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 10:39 AM

I'm glad I got that last Ventures Brothers tshirt before this kicked in.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2008, 11:06 AM

It still works for me on Safari 3.1.2:

Forum Links
Forum Rules