Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Drag Strip

The Drag Strip
Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 23, 2008, 10:17 PM

I figured there might be a few people here that find this interesting, so I figured I'd post it up here. I've done a few things to my car since buying it a tad over a year ago. Any by "a few things" I mean had an entirely different engine installed. I put it on the dyno this winter and put down 193hp at the wheels, which equates to about 230 at the crank.

The blue line on this graph is another SVT Contour with a new intake and a catback exhaust. The difference between that and my Taurus 3.0's midrange torque is phenomenal. You can see the way the SVT's 2.5 loves to get wound up but my 3.0's done making power by 6000.

I took it to Kansas City International Raceway a couple weekends ago and got in about 13 runs down the drag strip. Considering weather and tire conditions, and that it was my first time ever drag racing a car, I think I did very well.

Pictured are my best trap speed (96), best win (vs. a 99-04 Mustang GT), and 1/4 time (14.6). My 60' times show that I have a lot to gain by improving launches. I was running on my old rims and tires because I decided to trade off new tires for a lighter tire/rim combination.

I planned on getting some video of my runs, but all 5 people that were initially going to go with backed out at the last minute, and I discovered that my camera's battery was dead upon arriving at the strip.

Here's what the car looks like now:

My goals for the car are 200whp and a 14.5 in the quarter, and I have a few goodies in my garage that should get me there. It handles great, rides comfortably, has great pickup, and gets 28mpg on the highway. Quite a fun car.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 11:59 PM

good stuff, my friend has a SVT Focus that is a pretty quick. I know the feeling of good performance and even better gas mileage.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2008, 12:17 AM

Is swapping a 3.0L in there common? Nice work!
ice

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2008, 02:53 AM

Ah a Modeo as we call them in Europe. We got the Mondeo ST220 here, which as it's name suggests comes with 220 out of the box. Quite a nice car.

13's sounds pretty good on your power. It's not a light car. Try removing the interior for the day. Might help.

Laminar  (op)
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 24, 2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Is swapping a 3.0L in there common? Nice work!
The SVT 2.5 has a tendency to spin rod bearings between 80 and 100,000 miles, and replacement engines are hard to come by and expensive. The best I could find was a 90,000 mile engine for $1900, so I picked up a 60,000 mile Taurus 3.0 for $500. It's not quite a direct swap, but it's close, with only a few minor modifications, such as the fuel rail, throttle body bracket, and engine mount. While I was at it, I threw in headers, a y-pipe, a limited slip differential, and SPEC clutch.

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Ah a Modeo as we call them in Europe. We got the Mondeo ST220 here, which as it's name suggests comes with 220 out of the box. Quite a nice car.

13's sounds pretty good on your power. It's not a light car. Try removing the interior for the day. Might help.
13s do sound good, but I'm running 14s. I know of one guy running a 13.4 N/A, but he's put a LOT of work into his suspension and engine. I did actually pull my spare tire, sub and amp, and rear seats for the day.

The Mondeo ST200 is the equivalent of the SVT Contour, as it comes with the 200hp 2.5. The ST220 comes with the same 3.0 my car has, and actually one of the pieces I have ready to install on my car is an '05 Escape intake manifold, which is almost identical to the ST220's. I'm hoping for another 5-10hp from that. I also have a new fuel rail, new injectors, and a coil-on-plug ignition system, I'm just waiting on a couple key parts. The ST220 is proof that Ford should have put the 3.0 in the Contour from the start.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2008, 02:37 PM

Something will get you to 13.99. Sticky drag radials? Replace your sunroof with a CF panel?

I'd imagine you've seen this:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/503505
ice

Laminar  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Something will get you to 13.99. Sticky drag radials? Replace your sunroof with a CF panel?

I'd imagine you've seen this:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/503505
Yeah, I'm on the same forum as that guy. One company came out with a turbo kit for about $3000 but I just don't think it's worth it when a Contour has yet to hit 12s at all. Traction and drivetrain is a huge weak point. Sticky tires on Contours tend to destroy axles. I know of one guy working on a sunroof replacement that should save about 30 lbs., but I don't see myself getting enough horsepower to get into the 13s without getting too pricey for me.

Roscoe
Baninated
Aug 5, 2008, 12:39 AM

Keep it stock, just drive it. It's faster than most things on the road anyway. Upgrading something like that will only result in headaches. PS: Remove those dorky eyelids.

Laminar  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2008, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
Keep it stock, just drive it. It's faster than most things on the road anyway. Upgrading something like that will only result in headaches.
Uh...thanks for the advice. I might have to let you in on a tiny little secret though...my car isn't stock. So it's too late to keep it stock. It actually wasn't even my choice to make it NOT stock. There are a lot of things I'd like to say right now, but I'll just hold my tongue.

PS: Remove those dorky eyelids.
No

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2008, 02:36 AM

What is that happy face doing? It looks like he is pooping.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 5, 2008, 02:43 AM

shrugging his shoulders
ice

Laminar  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2008, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What is that happy face doing? It looks like he is pooping.
If you're referring to the animated gif in the post directly above yours, then it's the first happy face I've ever seen with the mouth turned downward.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2008, 10:09 AM

Well, it sort of looks like shoulder shrugging, but it could also be pooping at the same time... Maybe shrugging his shoulders while he poops (which is a common and classic expression).

I came here looking for female drag strips, if you know what I mean, not pooping smiley faces...

Railroader
Banned
Aug 5, 2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
If you're referring to the animated gif in the post directly above yours, then it's the first happy face I've ever seen with the mouth turned downward.
This will be my new response when people say I am frowning.

Laminar  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2008, 04:07 PM

Turn that frown upside down!

Railroader
Banned
Aug 5, 2008, 06:28 PM

I am smiling upside down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules