Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > JVC HDD camcorder to iMovie over USB2.0

JVC HDD camcorder to iMovie over USB2.0
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 03:22 AM

After the release of the new MacBook, which is equiped with USB2.0 and no FireWire400/800. I was wondering if and how it was possible to import video from my dad's JVC Everio HDD based camcorder into iMovie over USB 2.0. After scouring the web, here's the solution i found.

if you find yourself in a similar predicament, post your workarounds here.

I used an iMac 20" CD running iMovieHD. and imported the video over USB 2.0 (despite having FW available) to see if it is possible:

1. Plug in the camcorder over USB 2.0, and the HDD will mount as an external drive.

2. Navigate the drive to the video content. in the case of the JVC Everio GZ-MG335, the files were in a single folder, and had the extensions of '.MOD'. the content is actually MPEG-2.

3. Copy the content over to your computer's harddrive or an external drive on which you plan to do the editing.

4. Rename the '.MOD' to '.MPG' (the '.MOD' files are all you will need)

5. Now inorder to import the MPG files in iMovie, you need to either:
-have the Quicktime MPEG2 component which you can buy from Apple Online
a. drag and drop the files into the iMovie clips pane and iMovie does the converting for you automatically. (i think)
-have a tool/program that can convert MPEG2 video to the DV format (VisualHub worked fine for me)
a. Conert the files to DV format
b. Create a new iMovie project paying attention to the aspect ratio. Save the project and quit iMovie.
c. Control-click on the project icon in the finder and select 'Show Package Contents'
d. Copy the '.dv' files in to the 'Media' folder.
e. Open the project in iMovie. initially the .dv files will be in the project's trash.
f. move the dv clips from the trash into the clips pane and voila.

6. Edit away

Pros of importing over USB2.0:
-The camcorder used is capable of recording video in 16 : 9 format and transferring over FW. when i initially used it, i transferred the video over FW. either the camera or iMovie scaled the video and put horizontal black bars above and below the video. Effectively, the import process was changing the quality/resolution of the source files over FW. But over USB2 i got the full resolution video with no black bars. very nice indeed.

Cons of importing over USB2.0:
-Complicated. if i was an 'average' computer user to whom the MacBook is targeted, i would have never looked for the information nor understood it when i found it. This is not a FW vs USB2.0 issue anymore. both protocols are capable of transferring content. This is a software issue, and the more camcorders that Apple supports via software import. the less of an issue will the lack of FW on the MacBook will become.

Hope this helped.

Cheers

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2008, 04:03 AM

My new Panasonic SDR-S7EB-K Camcorder uses SD cards which records .mod & .moi too.

Plugging it into my iMac using the supplied USB cable, it is immediately recognised as a camera, it imports into iMovie 7 no probs, files auto converted to .mov.

Exactly the same as my older Panasonic NV-DS29 DV camcorder using firewire.

Amazingly enough, if I plug the SD card from the Panasonic SDR-S7EB-K Camcorder into external USB reader, it recognises this as a camera too.

Imports no problem into iMovie 7

(I can obviously also copy from the SD card / reader if I want to)
(I convert from .mod to .mp4 using iSquint, very useful)

iMovie HD is v6.

So perhaps an upgrade will make iLife easier !!

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 12:01 PM

I think import over USB is supported for some camcorders and the camera i mentioned isnt on the compatibility list provided by Apple. i did try importing the content on a late 2007 MacBook, and iMovie(the new version) didnt recognize it.

So i guess MPEG2 over USB2 is supported to some extent(limited compatibility with iMovie), but the camera isnt ?

Apple needs to up that compatibility list so it becomes a non issue for owners of Macs without FireWire.

Strangely, the camcorder was recognized as a camera and iPhoto launched on both machines, which meant nothing for importing the .MOD files i guess.

All this complexity ugh.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2008, 07:19 PM

I'm glad to hear you figured it out, but disappointed Apple hasn't made the process easier. With an AVCHD/flash camera, I just plug the card into a card reader and I can import straight into iMovie.

striderdm1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2008, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
My new Panasonic SDR-S7EB-K Camcorder uses SD cards which records .mod & .moi too.

Plugging it into my iMac using the supplied USB cable, it is immediately recognised as a camera, it imports into iMovie 7 no probs, files auto converted to .mov.
Hi MacNNUK, I'm so glad I came across your posting! We're about to buy one of these camcorders at the weekend. I use a PPC G5 Mac with the latest iMovie 08 and I'm very happy to hear that all is okay. Excellent

thanks,
Strider
AppleCrypt Mods
fps mods & single player maps for the Mac!

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by striderdm1 View Post
Hi MacNNUK, I'm so glad I came across your posting! We're about to buy one of these camcorders at the weekend. I use a PPC G5 Mac with the latest iMovie 08 and I'm very happy to hear that all is okay. Excellent

thanks,
Strider
Don't forget the ability to just plug the SD card into a USB SD reader, which iMovie immediately also recognises as a camera, and saves having to power up the camera.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

striderdm1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
Don't forget the ability to just plug the SD card into a USB SD reader, which iMovie immediately also recognises as a camera, and saves having to power up the camera.
I guess that's very true, kinda like my digital camera does now..
This Panasonic SDR-S7EB-K will be our first camcorder, so we're excited tbh! We're not expecting top notch video here but from the reviews it's sorta at the "DVD" quality level which suits us just fine. As I said, I've a PPC/G5 Power Mac so I cannot think of buying a HD camera due to the lacking support, so I think the Panasonic is a good first buy :-) I cannot wait to get some vids done and do some work in iMovie/iDVD! Thanks again.
AppleCrypt Mods
fps mods & single player maps for the Mac!

Forum Links
Forum Rules