Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jon and Kate +8

Jon and Kate +8 (Page 3)
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2009, 10:01 PM

Also, we haven't had many Twilight threads, so we can't really be too sure who's a female, now can we?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Carla V.  (op)
Jan 4, 2009, 10:04 PM

sek929, I thought you guys said you were in need for more girls with pants in NN, how come you're now used to them? And shi, the mere fact of BEING here when you're in your fourties makes you a tool, doesn't it?
I think (not defending every new entrant because I'm not in a position to) you should recall on those days when you were insulted newbies and stop this rather childish attack to those who recently join NN.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Also, we haven't had many Twilight threads, so we can't really be too sure who's a female, now can we?
Ugh. Please reserve your comments about Twilight being only for females. I am a guy and like Twilight.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2009, 10:09 PM

Wow, I never thought I'd see a cat fight on MacNN. This is awesome.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2009, 10:10 PM

I never said it was only for females. But by the same token, you're not going to see me argue that the NFL's audience isn't mostly men.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Jan 4, 2009 at 10:17 PM. )

Carla V.  (op)
Jan 4, 2009, 10:14 PM

btw, it's really funny that this particular thread has been picked up to reject "too many blessings," isn't that a bit ironic?

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2009, 10:16 PM

I never said it was only for females. But by the same token, you're not going to see me argue that the NFL's audience isn't mostly men.
There are always a few that do not fall under what is expected.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Carla V. View Post
sek929, I thought you guys said you were in need for more girls with pants in NN, how come you're now used to them? And shi, the mere fact of BEING here when you're in your fourties makes you a tool, doesn't it?
Not really, no. There's nothing wrong with being a member of a message forum. It's a good way to make friends, meet new people, learn new things, etc. Given that this is primarily a support forum for Mac users, it's not at all surprising or laughable that older people join, since people of all ages face computer problems now and again.

I think (not defending every new entrant because I'm not in a position to) you should recall on those days when you were insulted newbies and stop this rather childish attack to those who recently join NN.
The thing is, most noobs don't get the kind of crap you and your girlfriends have been getting. Why? Because new members in any established forum don't initially start out by posting on an off-topic thread, posting in other off-topic (aka. Lounge) threads, and not actually taking part in the primary purpose of the forum - in this case, Mac support. This isn't like YayHooray or other online communities that center around random BSing and talking about whatever comes to mind. MacNN's forums exist primarily as a place for Mac users to give and get support on everything Mac-related.

It would be one thing if you had started out asking or answering questions in the Mac sections of the forum. Instead, these new users came out of nowhere and tried to jump right into what is essentially a pre-existing clique of people.

It's not that we don't accept new users. It's that new users who are so forceful and annoying tend to irritate the crap out of established members of the forum. Not only that, but the Lounge tends to be for a certain kind of forum regular. There are some members who have been around for awhile but don't post in the Lounge; it's just not their thing (see Simon's thread on a purely technical forum in the Feedback section). The people who do post here tend to generally be cut from the same cloth as far as Internet personalities are concerned.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
There are always a few that do not fall under what is expected.
Of course. I know some women who are a blast to watch football with.

Really, I think all of this business is about overreaction to what I see as the well-established form of communicating in the Lounge, which I would describe as caustic but friendly one-upsmanship.

Carla V.  (op)
Jan 4, 2009, 10:25 PM

Hmm, first of all, though I love that there's more girls who did not care about your ackward concept of hierarchy, I would not generalize and make our group "me and my girlfriends" since I haven't agreed to every word they said.
Now for the "well established forum" deal, I see no problem in a person who, like me, meets a forum that may be useful in the future through an off-topic thread, again, your concept of hierarchy based on time on the forum would mean that in order to talk about something random I'd have to wait for years of computer talk. That seems like senseless theory to me...
For that, don't get me wrong, I am a mac user and loving it, but as a matter of fact I haven't had too big of a trouble lately. One thing I will say, next time I think of getting mac answers, this might be my choice, since I got the chance to meet you guys.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2009, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
Ugh. Please reserve your comments about Twilight being only for females. I am a guy and like Twilight.
It's not only for females. It's only for pre-teen and teenage females.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2009, 10:32 PM

I don't think anyone meant years, but the point is that it is a little ridiculous to come into a community with which you are unfamiliar, start an argument, and then cry "foul" when the responses aren't to your liking.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
It's not only for females. It's only for pre-teen and teenage females.
We have a Twilight thread for that.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2009, 10:35 PM

Yes, but you came into a particular subforum that is frequented by well-established members, and then you (and the other newcomers) proceeded to get all defensive and whiny when we didn't react the way you wanted us to. If you had posted a question in the main part of the forums and gotten this kind of response, I can understand being upset.

But what these new people did was akin to walking into a party going on in a stranger's home, picking up the mic on the karaoke machine, and starting to sing...and then being surprised when your presence isn't welcomed with applause and open arms. You can't just jump into an established group of people with such force and except everyone to just roll over and take it. It's your own fault for not taking the time to get a feel for how we behave around here, particularly because this is the off-topic section of the larger community.

Carla V.  (op)
Jan 4, 2009, 10:36 PM

I don't think anyone meant years, but the point is that it is a little ridiculous to come into a community with which you are unfamiliar, start an argument, and then cry "foul" when the responses aren't to your liking.
Sorry if anyone disturbed your peace, but I cried no fouls in this or any other thread, what I defended are to me logical points. But anyway, I think defending other people is making me a part of them and I am certainly not. If you wish to continue arguing, so be it.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2009, 10:42 PM

Sorry if anyone disturbed your peace, but I cried no fouls in this or any other thread, what I defended are to me logical points. But anyway, I think defending other people is making me a part of them and I am certainly not. If you wish to continue arguing, so be it.
Then at this point, just move on and quit talking about it. Don't react aggressively or mockingly or anything else to posts from regular members until you've been here at least long enough to have one yellow star (regular member - 50 posts). You're brand new here - don't start trying to jump on others until you have a pretty good feel for how people are around here.

Oh - and a hot tip: thread hijacking is very common in the Lounge. When it happens, don't bitch about it. It's part of the package here.

Carla V.  (op)
Jan 4, 2009, 10:44 PM

Shi,
Again with your well established members, if you wish to show your magnificence, you got it. Just don't take it on the only person who has not whinned through this mediocre chain of events.
As a matter of fact you have been the only one to be so outrageously pissed off by the newcommers, and the thread through which they got here was not even created by them, nor YOU.
If it's so important to comment on not-so-well-established forums prior to "the holy lounge" I think mods should block them for beginners. (Bad idea, don't do it).
As for me, I'd like to see more of your personal background here, it seems pretty interesting from your way of talking.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 5, 2009, 12:30 AM

... concept of hierarchy based on time on the forum would mean that in order to talk about something random I'd have to wait for years of computer talk. That seems like senseless theory to me...
For that, don't get me wrong, I am a mac user and loving it, but as a matter of fact I haven't had too big of a trouble lately. One thing I will say, next time I think of getting mac answers, this might be my choice, since I got the chance to meet you guys.
You know, you could go into the tech forums and actually help a few people with problems. if only people with problems with their Macs came to this forum, no one would get any answers.

The fact that people who don't have any problems with their computers, yet hang out every day and answer other people's questions for FREE, says a lot about this place. We like it a certain way, and you'd think people would respect that.

If most of the new people keep acting the way they are, and you keep defending them, then some of the old timers will probably just leave and then we won't have those people to help other people out.

Think about that for a while before you post a reply.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 5, 2009, 12:34 AM

Shi,
First, you should show a little respect by using her whole name. You want respect, you should show it as well.
Again with your well established members, if you wish to show your magnificence, you got it. Just don't take it on the only person who has not whinned through this mediocre chain of events.
Irony, pure irony.
As a matter of fact you have been the only one to be so outrageously pissed off by the newcommers, and the thread through which they got here was not even created by them, nor YOU.
WRONGO!!! She's not the only one annoyed deeply. How could you be so blind to it?!?!
If it's so important to comment on not-so-well-established forums prior to "the holy lounge" I think mods should block them for beginners. (Bad idea, don't do it).
At first I would have agreed with you, now, not so much. It is getting out of hand. People have asked them to tone it down and it has gotten worse.
As for me, I'd like to see more of your personal background here, it seems pretty interesting from your way of talking.
See that little button up there called "search"? I suggest you use it.

Carla V.  (op)
Jan 5, 2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You know, you could go into the tech forums and actually help a few people with problems. if only people with problems with their Macs came to this forum, no one would get any answers.Think about that for a while before you post a reply.
Too late for lame feedback, I already went around looking for someone I could be helpful to. Maybe it's you who should think a bit more before posting...

Carla V.  (op)
Jan 5, 2009, 01:02 AM

First, you should show a little respect by using her whole name. You want respect, you should show it as well.
It was not me who came up with that short name, and I see no disrespect on that. But that's ok.
WRONGO!!! She's not the only one annoyed deeply. How could you be so blind to it?!?!
Of course she's not the only one, I still have full eye sockets don't you worry...
See that little button up there called "search"? I suggest you use it.
Now the deal is I was talking to her, not anyone else... and when I ask is a polite way to let her talk about what she considers so important instead of stalking people I don't know at all.

I think If everyone stopped shouting back the whole discussion would be over with, in the mean time... let her answer for herself... I actually enjoy her sense of humor and overall drive...

Railroader
Banned
Jan 5, 2009, 01:57 AM

Clearly, I am wasting my time.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2009, 02:35 AM

+1aa

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2009, 07:25 AM

I love this forum.

I think Railroader said it best...if you won't listen to him, that's not my problem.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2009, 07:29 PM

will ya'll just shut it please. this is so farking annoying

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2009, 07:36 PM

I'm closing this because this thread is hopelessly derailed. Start a new one if you must, but KEEP IT ON TOPIC. The thought of editing out all the garbage in here is daunting to say the least.

To the new members, our rules apply to you as well, so I suggest you brush up on them or the infractions will pile up and you won't be around here for long.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules