Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto 09 - How to move a photo from one event to another?

iPhoto 09 - How to move a photo from one event to another?
msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2009, 11:56 PM

I've tried Apple's method in iPhoto help but can't get it to work. The photos don't move.

Here's what iPhoto Help says:

Moving photos from one Event to another

To move a photo from one Event to another:

1. Select Events in the Source list.
2. Command-click to select two or more Events.
3. Double-click one of the chosen Events to open it.
If you have set your preferences to magnify photos when you double-click an Event, move your pointer to the bottom of the Event’s key photo and click the Show Photos button when it appears.
4. Drag the photos you want to move into the Event you want to add them to.
To select multiple photos that are not next to one another, hold down the Command key as you click.
The moved photos will appear at the end of the Event.

You can also cut and paste photos to move them from one Event to another.
To do so, select one or more photos you want to move and then choose Edit > Cut (or press Command-X). Then select the Event you want to move the photos to, and choose Edit > Paste (or press Command-V). The photos are removed from one Event and appear in the other.

This is so frustrating.

I originally tried using the iPhoto search field to narrow the field down to just the photos I was interested in (I used temporary keywords to cause them to be selected). Then I tried to just drag and drop from one event to another. This seems like the most logical way to me and I was really surprised when it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 12, 2009, 01:14 AM

The select multiple events, double-click, drag from one to the other worked perfectly for me. Wonder how you're getting stuck?

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
The select multiple events, double-click, drag from one to the other worked perfectly for me. Wonder how you're getting stuck?
I noticed that when I select 'copy', the subsequent option to 'paste' is greyed out.

Another problem with selecting 2 events and dragging from one to another is that the events are separated by many, many pages and I'm troubled by figuring out how to drag into the second event when that requires scrolling to find it. Plus you have to have sharp eyes to spot the second selected event from among the hundreds I have.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2009, 11:20 AM

I find it easier to move from one event to the other if I switch the view to "Photos" instead of "events". Then I can just open one folder to get the photos I want to move, and then drag them to the correct (collapsed) event. As far as speed, the scrollbar will move slower or faster depending on where you are holding the desired photos -- in other words, holding down the mouse button that is holding the photos to be moved will move slower or faster if you are holding down in the center of the photo pane, or towards the edges of the pane. Not sure I'm describing that correctly, but if you drag your cursor to the center or the sides while holding it down, you'll see what I mean.
Mary

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
I find it easier to move from one event to the other if I switch the view to "Photos" instead of "events". Then I can just open one folder to get the photos I want to move, and then drag them to the correct (collapsed) event...
What do you mean by 'open one folder'? In photo view, there are no folders to open.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2009, 12:14 PM

I finally figured out one way to do this although I don't understand why drag and drop of photos from one event to another doesn't work.

In Event view, I enter my search criteria in the search field.
Then I select the photo/photos I want to move.
Then select Events, then Merge with above.

I haven't tried this method if the results of the search return more than 2 events.

I'm thinking about going to the Apple store here in Columbus and demonstrating this problem to the SmartAsses at the SmartAss Bar.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
What do you mean by 'open one folder'? In photo view, there are no folders to open.
Sorry, that should have read "Library" view. Not at the mac right now, so was going on memory (still am!).
Mary

Forum Links
Forum Rules