Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > fav kind o dog

fav kind o dog
forkies
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 01:09 AM

What is your favorite breed of puppy dog and why? Please remember to post why you like it because I'm curious to see which characteristsics people enjoy in different breeds.

My favorite breed is a Silky Terrier.
They are coot, little, affectionate, friendly, and all around happy doggies. Mew!

------------------

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

hayesk
May 21, 2001, 01:21 AM

I like West Highland Terriers - same reasons.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2001, 01:30 AM

This is the Norwegian Elkhound.

Mine is named Nakita. She's Russian and goes on missions. Her HQ is secret and she doesn't like you to ask her. Her voice sounds something like the Valkyrie's in StarCraft.

If any of you want to include a picture, go here. There is an alphabetical listing of just about every purebred.

------------------

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2001, 01:44 AM

Golden Retrievers. The friendliest damn dogs on the planet

One of my Goldens, Hogan. 100lbs of Friendly

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2001, 07:09 AM

I like terriers, specifically Cairns. Cairns are intelligent, friendly, responsive but independent, rugged, small, alert, they can dig and burrow, and they are playful.

Westies sure are cute but I've never owned one.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SillyMonk (edited 05-21-2001).]
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

suprz
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 07:14 AM

my favorite doggy is a austalian shepard. either the tri color or the blue merle. very friendly and smart dogs, with beautiful eyes. oh yeah i also like german shepards, and golden retrievers.

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2001, 07:27 AM

Mine is definately the Greyhound. Beutiful, friendly, and a great companion dog. Plus with all the greyhound abuse out there (after they are done racing they often shot, starved, beaten and forgotten) I really feel for them. I used to be really active in the GUR (Greyhound Underground Railroad where people band togather to transport retiring ex-racers from a post-track foster home to an adopters place, often across the country) but time has become limited...

My wife love Saluki's. She loves how they look like ditzy blondes. And they live up to that expectation.

------------------
iMac therefor iAm
iMac therefor iAm

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2001, 07:29 AM

Basset hounds definitely. They are really cute. Plus they are stubborn, really lazy, and sleep a lot, which sounds a lot like me!

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2001, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by siegzdad:
Mine is definately the Greyhound. Beutiful, friendly, and a great companion dog.
I've heard the greyhound described as "a 40 mile an hour couch potato" because they either run like the wind or sit around the house! Pretty funny! I'm glad people are saving them!
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2001, 11:47 AM

The English Bulldog, such a bad-ass looking dog. I love their coloring, and the way they walk.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2001, 11:55 AM

I simply cannot settle on one Dog. I love them all. I am not entirely partial to little toy or foofy dogs, but they are better than no Dog at all. If it's canis, I love it.
I am heavily partial to hunting breeds- bird dogs- and herding dogs ( they have amazingly energetic and playful personalities).

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2001, 12:14 PM

Labrador Retrievers.

They are smart, trainable, friendly, gentle, loving, cute and fun to be around. Great family dogs! Great hunting dogs! Great friends!

Above is a pic of my loyal best friend, Chinook. Isn't she cute?

------------------
Dave Simon
----------
Windows are easily broken.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Bugs Bunny:

One of my Goldens, Hogan. 100lbs of Friendly
Hell yeah! They rule. Too bad my mom doesnt like dogs .

------------------

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2001, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:

Labrador Retrievers.

They are smart, trainable, friendly, gentle, loving, cute and fun to be around. Great family dogs! Great hunting dogs! Great friends!

LOOK at that face. HOW could anyone NOT love that face? Hey, davesimondotcom... I already know the answer, but don't you think she'd love to come live with me? Beach weekends on the Cape, running at Mt Wachusett, couple of puppy friends to hang with, the weekly steak treat...

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2001, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
[IMG]CHINOOK WAS HERE[/IMG]

Labrador Retrievers.

LOOK at that face. HOW could anyone NOT love that face? Hey, davesimondotcom... I already know the answer, but don't you think she'd love to come live with me? Beach weekends on the Cape, running at Mt Wachusett, couple of puppy friends to hang with, the weekly steak treat...
Well, you had her going until the steak treat... her intestinal problems kick up if she's not careful. I guess she's going to stay with me in our new house two blocks from a large pond.

She's why my license plate says "SWIM DOG"

------------------
Dave Simon
----------
Windows are easily broken.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

finboy
May 21, 2001, 06:26 PM

My favorite breed is the American Indistinct, the mutt.

Seriously, I've had bred dogs (bassets, goldens, and dachsunds) and I think the mutts were just as wonderful. Although some of the bred dogs had congentital defects due to the way they had been bred.

All dogs are nice, but the BEST kind are the ones you get at the animal shelter. Choose carefully, because sometimes the best dogs aren't the puppies or the cutest ones.

Please consider this before you go to the mall and buy a puppy. {I know it sounds sappy, but I had to say it.}

Now, as for mutts, my last two were an inside dog and an outside dog, respectively.

Portee, the inside dog, was dachsund and Lhasa Apso mix, and she was brilliant. She learned about 25 words or so in the course of about 8 years, and was very expressive around & with humans. She was always with us, and I'm sure that made a difference.

Footsie (named for the only real game she knew) was mix of chow and St. Bernard. A huge dog. She could run 30 mph from almost a standing start. Slow, but extremely gentle. Her personality may have come from her surrogate mother, who was an aging golden retriever who couldn't move so fast any more. Believe it or not, the first time she stayed indoors (after I had her fixed) she knew to ask me to go out when she needed to. Don't know how -- maybe she learned from the golden. Also, this dog would almost never bark. Or, she only barked when playing with one of us (wrestling or chasing us), or when she had treed a cat. Never at other people or animals otherwise.

------------------
Shop smart, shop S-Mart! You got that!!?!!

Yuri1419
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 12:03 AM

My Favorite is the Belgian Flipcaster:

The seatcovers were bought to match the dog, not the other way around.

She also knows good beer.

The purchase of the beer had nothing to do with the dog whatsoever.

(edit: my inability to properly use the img tag)

[This message has been edited by Yuri1419 (edited 05-22-2001).]

Scott_H
Professional Poster
May 22, 2001, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by finboy:
My favorite breed is the American Indistinct, the mutt.

[snip]

We had a mutt when I was growing up. Couldn't even tell you the mix? It was a good dog. Mutts seem much more "even" than the bred dogs.

klee6150
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 02:11 AM

Weimaraners for their spirit and grand ability to catch tennis balls that bounce off their backs. I have a 15 yo, D'Bunge, and a 7 mo, Emma Clara Bird (Bird because she will go back to sleep in the morning if I put a dark sheet over her kennel).

Bassett Hounds because they smell so good. At least my 7 yo Lucee does!!!!!

Karen

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2001, 02:43 AM

Siberian huskies, golden retrievers, Korean jindos (look like big Shiba).

All very hairy!!

simonjames
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 05:10 AM

You can't get any better dog than a Boxer - they are the most loyal, loving and extremely intelligent dog around

I hate the way that in America the ears are docked - it makes the dog look evil - that disgusting practice has been banned here in Australia as long as I can remember.

cheers

Simon
this sig intentionally left blank

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 05:16 AM

I always liked Labs. They are calm, gentle, and mild mannered. I really don't like small, hyper, nuclear powered dogs.

Eugene
Senior User
May 22, 2001, 05:49 AM

They don't call the German Shepherd (Alsatian) the King of Dogs for nothing.

Unfortunately, one of my dogs lives up to this designation... selective breeding gave him bad hips, so now he's got titanium ones instead...

------------------
Eugene Chan
[email protected]
http://www.eugenechan.com/

wingdo
Senior User
May 22, 2001, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Eugene:
Unfortunately, one of my dogs lives up to this designation... selective breeding gave him bad hips, so now he's got titanium ones instead...
I can't even get a TiBook, and you've got a TiDog?

The best dogs I have had were a Black Lab, and my current Shar-Pei. If I had more room, I would get a ton of Shar-Pei.

Wow, my 50th post. I am somebody now.

------------------

[This message has been edited by wingdo (edited 05-22-2001).]
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 10:55 AM

Puppies. Sheesh, I love the puppies. Can't beat a dog for absolute unconditional love and loyalty. I once saw a bumpersticker: "The more people I meet, The more love my Dog". True. Very true.
I'll echo the sentiment about Mutts.
I have two. One, Wolfgang, is a Black Lab/ Curly Coat/ Chessie mix (that's what we've been able to determine officially, anyway). The other, Gromit, is a Black Lab/ Boarder Collie/ Rottie mix (Not that the breed title matters to me- but it does give a pretty good visual to those who would know the breeds). He's a pound puppy. We saw him, in the back of his pen, sitting in his water dish. Instant love. .. I have a few dogs over the years, but the mutts are absolutely the best personalities.

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Bugs Bunny:

I want to get one, anything particular I should pay attention to ( besides the 4 legs & tail)

Kay Autic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 12:06 PM

GREYHOUNDS RULE!!!!

Sport (my doggie) is definitely a 45 mph couch potato! He's the sweetest boy in the world. BTW, his best friend is a 6 mo. old Yorkie named Owen---it's hysterical to watch them play!!

Check Sport out here: http://homepage.mac.com/cbartho/PhotoAlbum.html

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2001, 12:08 PM

I want to get one, anything particular I should pay attention to ( besides the 4 legs & tail)
Make sure you find a reputable breeder. A breeder who vet checks the puppies for hips, heart defects. We purchased 3 goldens from this one breeder, and 1 had a heart, and kidney defect. Turns out later we found that she doesn't vet check her puppies. Our vet said take it back to the breeder, it won't live more than 6 months And the breeded should give you time to have your vet check the puppy, and if any problems are present, should offer you another puppy, or a refund. Look up the AKC, and they can give you a list of breeders for the particular breed you are interested in, around your area.

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the tips, are heart defects common among Retrievers?

foobars
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by l'ignorante:
Thanks for the tips, are heart defects common among Retrievers?
Labs are generally very healthy. Heart problems aren't very common at all. To my knowlege the only serious problem Labs have a history of is Hip problems. Luckily complications like this can often be avioded by going through a reputable breeder (as mentioned before). They're not hard to find.

I have a golden lab and she's awesome!

Forum Links
Forum Rules