Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 13)
jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 04:10 AM

Right, in previous episodes the sight of a single basestar would make the Galactica crew sh!t their pants and run away. Now they were able to destroy 2 basestars while still having a 1:1 battlestar-to-basestar ratio.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by jcadam
Right, in previous episodes the sight of a single basestar would make the Galactica crew sh!t their pants and run away. Now they were able to destroy 2 basestars while still having a 1:1 battlestar-to-basestar ratio.

Dudes! That was the Cylons' first hint that the humans had new stealth technology and they had just used it to destroy the resurection ship, thousands of cylons and their only hope of "coming back" if killed themselves. The cylons clearly have feelings, even the raiders do, and for the first time they felt true fear of death while experiencing an attack unlike any they'd known so far.

Compared to one old, retired, understaffed, practially unarmed battlestar, a baseship is overwhelming, but compared to two relatively well equipped battlestars with a brilliant new surprise attack plan, two baseships full of totally freaked cylons came up lacking. I think it's totally believable.

And as far as the battle scene itself, I've always thought that was the coolest thing about the new show... its refusal to wallow in the same old tired sci-fi cliches that most of us have seen a thousand times in old shows, movies etc. You guys are nuts if you want Battlestar to be like 'you expect'. That's why it's so great.... because you never know WHAT to expect!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
Want to see some interesting directing.

Watch Kobol's last gleaming, part 2.

After Boomer nukes the base star and returns to BSG she enters the CIC. Watch the camera work when Gaeta walks up to her. IS he shaking her hand or is he handing her the gun that will be used to shoot Adama?

I think the writers are ****ing with us.
I rewatched that particular scene several times, and I don't see what you're seeing (looks like a handshake to me, but the 'hands' are not visible in the shot). Besides, why would she not already have a weapon on her? The pilots on BSG often carry sidearms with them.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2006, 02:09 PM

I rewatched that particular scene several times, and I don't see what you're seeing (looks like a handshake to me, but the 'hands' are not visible in the shot). Besides, why would she not already have a weapon on her? The pilots on BSG often carry sidearms with them.
The fact is they went out of their way to NOT show the hands touch and imply that it was a possibility that he might have handed her a gun.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 02:31 PM

The fact is they went out of their way to NOT show the hands touch and imply that it was a possibility that he might have handed her a gun.

I hope you're just accidently using a figure of speech and that's not really your idea of what a 'fact is'. You do realize you're just making stuff up right? I mean I understand that the cylons get people a little paranoid but still.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew
I hope you're just accidently using a figure of speech and that's not really your idea of what a 'fact is'. You do realize you're just making stuff up right? I mean I understand that the cylons get people a little paranoid but still.
This "fact" has been mentioned several times by many people all over the BSG forums.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2006, 02:45 PM

She's a pilot returning from a combat mission. Of course she would have a sidearm.

I was really disappointed that Gina killed Kain. It's the easy out.

I am kind of curious to see what the next stealth ship will be. I thought the Blackbird was pretty cool, even though I had a hard time with the construction of the thing. I know, suspension of disbelief and all that, but it's unlikely enough that a bunch of airframe and power plant mechanics could not only design and build a new fighter from the ground up, but it just so happens that if all you have to cover it with is carbon composite, it's perfectly stealth. But the plane itself was cool when all was said and done.

But now they have the new chief, the aerospace engineer Kain drafted from her civilian fleet, as well as the resources of a another Battlestar, a more modern Battlestar at that. I'm hoping those two elements will bring us more subplots on the construction of some cool new fighters. I dig the ships in the show, and I want to see more of them. I will say though, the design of the resurrection ship was remarkably retarded. Why would you have such an important ship designed so you could drift through it sideways and strafe the hell out of the interior of the ship (cool scene by the way). The whole thing was made of windows, for christ's sake. Anyway, that just seemed rather stupid on the Cylon's part.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2006, 02:55 PM

Something else I have a question about.

Why did baltar repeat to Gina what six told him about Sports? Was it to test to see if 6 was real or a hallucination or was it to form an attachment with Gina?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 03:22 PM

I think it was representative of Baltar abandoning his fantasy 6 for a real Gina.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 03:25 PM

As for Lee wanting to die, SWF, I think it has mostly to do with the fact that his whole world has fallen apart. He lost his post, and now he's seen his father turn out to be someone less than he expected. And that suggestion came from the president! What's left for him?
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 03:43 PM

The two Basestars and the Resurrection ship were tailing Galactica from a very long distance. Also, even though the cylons knew about Pegasus, there is no indication that they knew Galactica and Pegasus had found each other and teamed up.

I can totally buy that the cylons were taken off guard, since the two Basestars and the Res ship were attached to Galactica only, and there would never had been any chance for them to have been spotted had it not been for the strokes of luck Galactica got by getting found by Pegasus and having the Blackbird constructed.

I was disappointed a bit by the battle scene. I assumed that one of the first courses of action when jumping in on a Basestar by surprise would be to take out its FTL drives and Raider launch bays, but it would have been better if they had said something to that effect during the battle briefing in part 1.

OreoCookie
Jan 15, 2006, 04:17 PM

I agree. I don't remember the exact number, but I expect an episode similar to that when Galactica (successfully) attacked the fuel depot. They were doing the tactics and showed most of the battle in detail. This just wasn't the case here. I suspect that the budget was one reason for this (although they should have dipped in it for this episode). Somehow the whole episode felt a bit incoherent. Right before the battle starts, Adama talks to Sharon, then cut and you immediately see things exploding. None of the usual `let's see how the tactics work'.

I also share the sentiment that the battle was won far too easy. Getting more details on how the battle went would have cleared this up. E. g. both ships don't seem to sustain any heavy damage … something I would definitely expect, even if the odds were in their favor.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2006, 04:29 PM

I don't think I saw one Cylon Raider in the whole battle. I thought each basestar has at least 200 on board. The basestars also seem to have no guns onboard, just missiles and raiders.

Or perhaps the cylons are at a major disadvantage now that their virus doesn't work. The BSG might also have a huge advantage when they don't have to defend a fleet.

Also I noticed that the Pegasus is Battlestar #62 when Galactica is #75. Since the Pegasus is so much newer and fancier wouldn't it have a higher number?

Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 04:40 PM

I don't think I saw one Cylon Raider in the whole battle. I thought each basestar has at least 200 on board. The basestars also seem to have no guns onboard, just missiles and raiders.

Or perhaps the cylons are at a major disadvantage now that their virus doesn't work. The BSG might also have a huge advantage when they don't have to defend a fleet.

Also I noticed that the Pegasus is Battlestar #62 when Galactica is #75. Since the Pegasus is so much newer and fancier wouldn't it have a higher number?
Perhaps it could be explained by decommissioning the old battlestars and reusing their numbers? But otherwise, ya, that seems like an oversight.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 04:53 PM

In the first part at the end Apollo and Starbuck explain about a distraction to draw the raiders away. I think it's a little odd that all the fighters would go, but the idea was that the civilian ships would pull all the raiders away from the basestars, giving galactica and pegasus the chance to destroy them.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 05:46 PM

It seems silly to send hundreds of fighters after a few civilian ships. Surely, a dozen or so would have sufficed?

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2006, 05:53 PM

It seems silly to send hundreds of fighters after a few civilian ships. Surely, a dozen or so would have sufficed?
In season 1 when BSG raids the mine they mention the Cylons would be too smart to fall for something like that.

Guess they are getting dumber.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 07:29 PM

I was kinda wanting to see a massive fight between a modern battlestar and a basestar, but I understand the reasoning behind not doing so. Centering more on the members of the two battlestars the the ongoing conflict between them.

Apollo is probably just depressed. I`M surprised that we havn`t heard of random people killing themselves on the battlestars of the civilian ships. I would think people might have taken the distruction of their worlds a bit more harshly.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
I`M surprised that we havn`t heard of random people killing themselves on the battlestars of the civilian ships. I would think people might have taken the distruction of their worlds a bit more harshly.
Apparently they all responded by becoming reporters.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Apollo is probably just depressed. I`M surprised that we havn`t heard of random people killing themselves on the battlestars of the civilian ships. I would think people might have taken the distruction of their worlds a bit more harshly.
There was that pilot taking uppers because of the pressure, but there could be more of that kind of thing. Will be interesting to see how the Pegasus crew interacts with Galactica after the way Kain ran things.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 10:06 PM

Yeah, but they were shitting their pants over protecting the civilian fleet. They didn't have that concern this time.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Apparently they all responded by becoming reporters.
Yeah, I find that funny. I would love to see them do an ep where it once again focus on their lack of resources. They bring it up every now and then (like the card game where everyone knows the little folds in certain cards). They`ve not brought up the fact that they have to feed and water 50,000 people. While I can suspend disbelief, they did bring it up, and I have to wonder where that food is.

Wouldn`t people on the civilian ships go a bit stur crazy? A lot of those ships were just passenger liners. I mean, would you want to be stuck on an airplane for months on end? The same horrible movies playing every day....

I can see friction between the two ships being put into place, but I like the fact that there is a fresh source of men and ships to backup the fleet. Maybe we`ll see the humans take more of a stand these days.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 12:14 PM

Apparently with the water episode, they found enough to manage. And the mining episode got them plenty of fuel.

I don't know about food. They've got a couple of ships that would easily farm crops. Maybe they took what they could off of Kobol..
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 12:28 PM

In the episode "Water" it was explained that the Galactaca reclaims 95-100% of its own water (like the Fremen in Dune). It never, or not for a long time, needs water (maintenance of the reclamation apparatuses, notwithstanding). Rag-tag fleet ships pull along side to get a water refill (and presumably dump their waste to Galactaca for reclamation).

In "Water", the issue was that the explosions caused a huge portion of the water in the closed system to be lost. I would think, though, since Kobol was found, they'd refill the tanks with as much fresh water and food stuffs that they could.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2006, 12:33 PM

This "fact" has been mentioned several times by many people all over the BSG forums.
You go to the BSG forums?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by starman
You go to the BSG forums?
Are you trying to distract from the thread you started about the star trek boards closing?

finboy
Jan 16, 2006, 01:39 PM

Except that the Cylons recognize the importance of those civilian ships, maybe?

As for the 1:1 ratio, I'd bet that the Pegasus would be much more powerful than the Galactica. Seems that's how things work.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by finboy

As for the 1:1 ratio, I'd bet that the Pegasus would be much more powerful than the Galactica. Seems that's how things work.
The plan, as I remember, was to allow the cylons to find the fleet, most of the fleet would jump away, leaving some vessels apparently having FTL trouble. The basestars have a tendency as I recall to send hordes of raiders out when they see anything. So They probably deployed Tons, and then the remaining civilian vessels moved away under sublight drive. Pull the raiders away, and leave the basestars without their raider protection...

Still a little far fetched, but that's the way it was described.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2006, 02:03 PM

Are you trying to distract from the thread you started about the star trek boards closing?
That thread was started fron a digg article. Sorry to burst your bubble there.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by starman
That thread was started fron a digg article. Sorry to burst your bubble there.
In that case aren't you the same person who started the thread of:
"It's getting to the point here where a lot of lounge threads are nothing more than reruns from digg."

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=281786

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 11:28 PM

check, and, mate.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2006, 11:47 PM

In that case aren't you the same person who started the thread of:
"It's getting to the point here where a lot of lounge threads are nothing more than reruns from digg."

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=281786
That was before it became "hip" to do that.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 02:57 AM

Is it okay if we get back to BSG now?
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2006, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by finboy
What do you mean by that? I don't think they want anything on the ships and just want them destroyed.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 07:00 AM

What do you mean by that? I don't think they want anything on the ships and just want them destroyed.

Do you even watch the show??? I think half the point of it is trying to figure out what the cylons want from the humans. They are clearly not killing all the humans on Caprica so they can work on the breeding farms. Sometimes it seems like they are trying to destroy Galactica etc, but other times it seems like they are playing with them like a cat playing with a bird... letting it hop along wounded but making sure not to kill it.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 08:34 AM

I never saw the show but I downloaded to check it out and the season 1 torrent comes with 2 large episodes called Battlestar Galactica 2003 part 1&2. Am I supposed to watch those first before watching episode 1 (Thirty Three) ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 08:47 AM

Mini series that starts off the actual show. You need to download and watch those first.

forkies
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 10:14 AM

i find it amusingly contradictory that you read the BSG forum yet so hastily scoffed at someone who mentioned the Star Trek forum

this episode was really disjointed. it's like they tried to pull off an inciting incident then going back in order to show how we get to that point, à la recent Alias. instead, it was just a mess of scenes thrown together to build up to when either Adama or Cain gets shot. but, what did Lee Adama floating in space have to do with that? the climax was resolved when both officers decided to call off their plans, not as a result of his absence.

and the kiss was disturbing.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jan 17, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by forkies
Yea, I wish the kiss hadn't happened. There are plenty of other characters on the show if you want to play the 'love interest plot device' game. Adama and the Prez. both have important jobs to do and they can't butt heads against each other as they have in the past if they're busy bumping uglies instead.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 17, 2006, 11:26 AM

According to Ronald Moore, the kiss was not scripted. It was a Olmos' idea, and an on-the-spot thing. Apparently Mary McDonnell was truly surprised. Maybe Olmos has the hots for her.

Why did baltar repeat to Gina what six told him about Sports? Was it to test to see if 6 was real or a hallucination or was it to form an attachment with Gina?
I think it's to form an attachment to Gina. He probably found it a touching story, and he believes in 6 so probably figured that Gina would react positively to a story like that too, since it's from her clone anyway.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 12:42 PM

this episode was really disjointed. it's like they tried to pull off an inciting incident then going back in order to show how we get to that point, à la recent Alias. instead, it was just a mess of scenes thrown together to build up to when either Adama or Cain gets shot. but, what did Lee Adama floating in space have to do with that? the climax was resolved when both officers decided to call off their plans, not as a result of his absence.

On the podcast, Moore talks about how it was originally a single ep that got split over two episodes, and some scenes were split up, like the one with Helo and the Chief chatting in part one, then in part two those guys beat them up. Originally that was one scene.

As for the kiss, there was always that kind of tension between Adama and the President, so I wasn't surprised by it. She's going to die anyway, so there will be plenty of great scenes of Adama looking stoic and unhappy. Oh wait.

forkies
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
She's going to die anyway
exactly, so why do it? ah well

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew
Do you even watch the show??? I think half the point of it is trying to figure out what the cylons want from the humans. They are clearly not killing all the humans on Caprica so they can work on the breeding farms. Sometimes it seems like they are trying to destroy Galactica etc, but other times it seems like they are playing with them like a cat playing with a bird... letting it hop along wounded but making sure not to kill it.

No, I don't watch the show.

I remember in more than 1 episode attempts by the Cylons to destroy the whole fleet.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 01:32 PM

exactly, so why do it? ah well
I think he likes her.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2006, 01:32 PM

i find it amusingly contradictory that you read the BSG forum yet so hastily scoffed at someone who mentioned the Star Trek forum
Sorry but I don't think too many people put Star Trek and BSG are on the same level. That is what everyone likes about BSG is that it isn't full of Star Treks technobable and every human getting along.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 01:39 PM

No, I don't watch the show....
Then you would do well to stop arguing with the die-hard fans that have seen every episode 3 times.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2006, 01:52 PM

Then you would do well to stop arguing with the die-hard fans that have seen every episode 3 times.

It was sarcasm. I watched the pilot again for the 4th time last night and have seen every episode 3-4 times each.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 02:02 PM

It was sarcasm. I watched the pilot again for the 4th time last night and have seen every episode 3-4 times each.
Right. I was wrong. Sounds like an excuse to get drunk to me. afk.......

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2006, 02:14 PM

Yes sometimes it seems that the Cylons are leading the fleet but there is much more evidence that they are trying to destroy the whole damn thing. Look at the episode where the cylons board the ship, they try to kill everyone on Galactica and turn its guns on the fleet.

I have mentioned before that I think the Human Cylons and the Toasters have different agendas.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2006, 02:18 PM

Anyone know when itunes will star letting people in th uk download tv shows so i can start downloading bsg to.
Overwise i might have to get an american bank account.

Forum Links
Forum Rules