Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ethernet printing with Mac 7300

Ethernet printing with Mac 7300
Ra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2003, 01:30 AM

I acquired a HP 6127 printer that has an Ethernet port, as well as USB. I would like to print via the Ethernet port, but I am having problems with the setup. My 7300 is running under Mac OS 9.1. USB printer has not been very reliable with my 7300, and that's why I would like to try Ethernet.

The provided printer software is only compatible with Mac OS X, so I downloaded and installed the software for Mac OS 9.

Question: Is printing possible if the printer is connected directly to the Ethernet port on the computer, or do I need to use a router, hub, etc.?

Problems I am having (printer connected to the computer): When I go to the Chooser and click on the printer Icon, the printer does not show as it should on the right hand of the window (above AppleTalk "Active, Inactive" buttons. For some reason, the printer is not being selected.

Any help welcomed.

Thanks.
( Last edited by Ra; May 13, 2003 at 02:09 AM. )

RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2003, 03:44 AM

Hi:

Probably you will need a Ethernet crossover cable if you are connecting computer and printer directly.

Regards
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

kbata
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2003, 09:17 AM

Can you see if you have a link light when you plug in the printer?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 09:49 AM

I don't know if this printer does Appletalk over the ethernet port. But it might not. If not, the printer will have to have an IP address for teh Mac to network with it.

While the computer is idle, press and hold the Cancel button to print a network configuration page. Under the TCP/IP section, you should have an IP address and it will say how it was assigned. In your case, you'll probably have to manually assign the IP address.

The HP support web page where I got this info is at http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/documen...cName=bpd09620

If it is true that the printer needs an IP address, I think your printer manual should tell you how to set one. If you need a manual, you can download it here: http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/manualC...arent=26200492

Chris

P.S. I agree that you probably need a crossover cable.

kbata
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 08:27 AM

I think RealMadrid hit the nail on the head about the crossover cable. The way it is designed to be hooked up is computer to hub, printer to hub. A crossover cable would have the orange and green pairs switched. I think some Macs can automatically adjust for crosses pairs but that's a good place to look. If you already have a link light than the problem lies somewhere else.

Ra  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2003, 11:05 PM

Thanks for helping. I already have the correct cable, and as long as I use it, the Ethernet "link' light at the back of the printer illuminates. The printer has a "Network Configuration Page," and it printed it for me by pressing one of the buttons on the front panel.

It seems that I am supposed to tinker with the TCP/IP so the computer can communicate with the printer. The following is an example of the 6127 printer's Network Page :

GENERAL
1. Network Name: dj6127
2. URL: http://169.254.22.70
3. MAC Address: (a series of digits here)
4. Serial Number: (more digits here)

TCP/IP (this is the printer's TCP/IP info.)
5. Status: Success
6. Configured By: Auto IP
7. IP Address: 169.254........ (same http:// numbers as above)
8. Subnet Mask: 255.....(another series of digits)
9. Gateway: (the IP number again)

The rest of the information on the printed page relates to Network Statistics (packets).

I also figured that this printer does not require a HUB to communicate with the computer via Ethernet. I will have to figure out how to set-up the TCP/IP, then enter the URL for the printer in the browser in order for the computer to talk to the printer. Once there I am supposed to assign a name to the printer. Once that's completed, the printer can be selected in the Chooser. It should also work with MAC OS 9.04+.

My next move is to visit the web pages you have posted above, then will try to reconfigure the TCP/IP.

Thank you, again

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2003, 11:25 PM

Yes. I think you'll be OK once you get a good IP address on the printer. Assume your Mac has an IP address like this: AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD, then your printer needs to have an IP address like this: ZAAA.BBB.CCC.EEE You just need to change the last group of digits.

A more specific example: It the Mac were 192.168.1.1 the printer could be 192.168.1.2 and all would work.

By the way, if you are happy with the default name of dj6127 you don't have to change it.

Chris

Ra  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2003, 02:33 AM

double post deleted.
( Last edited by Ra; May 16, 2003 at 02:48 AM. )

Ra  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2003, 02:45 AM

As I mentioned before, I have tried USB printing in the past, and the results were not impressive since the PCI card made the computer unstable. But after hours and hours of trying to print via the Ethernet port of my 7300, I bought and installed a Belkin 2-port USB card, installed USB Card Support 1.4.1 (I think), and the printer is working like a charm

I will eventually figure how to change the printer's IP number and see if I can get it to work via Ethernet. I sincerely appreciate all of your responses, and have copied and saved the information for future use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules