Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > right click hanging apps in OSX

right click hanging apps in OSX
jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2007, 09:50 AM

Suddeny when I right click using right click on the wired mighty mouse apps are hanging eg Safari, Mail, Address book. Any ideas what I could do about this?

Please move this post if it is in the wrong place.

Sethro
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2007, 10:30 PM

Thats interesting, is there something specific that makes the system hang? When you right click does the application instantly quit or is there a window asking you to submit the bug to Apple?

I would try restarting and plugging in the mouse again and seeing if the problem persists, additionally make sure that your running the latest version of Mac OS X and that you have installed all relevant updates. Lastly make sure that you Verify and Repair all OS X Permissions and additionally verify to see if the disk is working correctly.

zro
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 12:24 AM

Do you have the StuffIt contextual menu item installed, or any other CM items?

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 03:11 AM

N.B. this thread should be closed as jbleisure has seen and posted in the other thread that is on a similar topic, but contains the same advice.

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2007, 06:14 AM

I'm only posting in this thread now.

I have restarted after upgrading stuffit to the latest version and installing the plugin. But I had the problem before that so........ Here's what else I have in contextual menus.

I don't understand what these plugins do. Will it cause me a problem using the associated apps if I delete them?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 12:45 PM

You can delete those.

One is for Chronos Notes -- do you use that or did you install it and delete it? I would assume it's a quick way to create a note in Chronos Notes from any app your're running.

One is for Graphic Converter.

One is for Stuffit -- if you want to right click on a file and compress it with Stuffit. In general I don't create SIT archives ever. I create ZIP archives, which is built-in functionality in the finder.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by jbleisure View Post
I don't understand what these plugins do. Will it cause me a problem using the associated apps if I delete them?
They add menu entries to the Finder contextual menu. If you don't use those entries (and at the moment, you can't anyway!) you can delete them without any detriment to your system or the apps they are associated with.

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2007, 05:20 AM

They add menu entries to the Finder contextual menu.
Thanks - I didn't know that. I will probably delete them to see although Stuffit - which I only ever use to unachive .sit files recommends installing it with the latest update as a remedy for this problem. However, I was having this problem before the update..so?

ANyway now they are deleted so I'll see how it goes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules