Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blog: What you've been missing...

Blog: What you've been missing...
Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2006, 08:07 PM

Hey all, I just figured since I don't think many people here read my blog, which I eventually got used to using and have enjoyed very much. I figured I'd post a few details on my life.

Quit BB a while back and have spent this semester at school, my roomie is a nice guy, and I'm enjoying the semester.

I was recently all but run out of the church that I've spent the last nearly two years at. (Ending in me having a phone conversation with the assoc pastor calling him a ****ing asshole among other things).

As a result of all the upheaval in my life I've been atypically inspired, and the last few days I've been writing tons of poetry, a couple of them are actually good. I'm debating taking it into a hobby level artistic venture doing recorded spoken word performance type deals. Maybe even write a book. Thinking of maybe a podcast too.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I was recently all but run out of the church that I've spent the last nearly two years at. (Ending in me having a phone conversation with the assoc pastor calling him a ****ing asshole among other things).
Do you seriously want to be a pastor?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2006, 08:31 PM

I've been writing tons of poetry
Oh noes!!! Not that. Anything but that.

(kidding, glad you're OK)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ambush
Banned
Mar 22, 2006, 08:46 PM

Hey all, I just figured since I don't think many people here read my blog, which I eventually got used to using and have enjoyed very much. I figured I'd post a few details on my life.

Quit BB a while back and have spent this semester at school, my roomie is a nice guy, and I'm enjoying the semester.

As a result of all the upheaval in my life I've been atypically inspired, and the last few days I've been writing tons of poetry, a couple of them are actually good. I'm debating taking it into a hobby level artistic venture doing recorded spoken word performance type deals. Maybe even write a book. Thinking of maybe a podcast too.
If I were you, I'd invest in higher education (university; literature). Most poets can't make a living out of their writing and government subventions. Therefore, with their university education, they can teach literatures in hs and university. That's what my mom does... when she's not in europe promoting her stuff. with our taxes. drinking fancy wine. sleeping in cool hotels.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
If I were you, I'd invest in higher education (university; literature). Most poets can't make a living out of their writing and government subventions. Therefore, with their university education, they can teach literatures in hs and university. That's what my mom does... when she's not in europe promoting her stuff. with our taxes. drinking fancy wine. sleeping in cool hotels.
I'm a Christian, I don't imagine I'd get much government funding. No cool hotels for me sadly. I don't like wine anyway.

Should also mention that I ordered a new L key from Powerbookmedic.com as well I spent 800 dollars on a set of Nautilus weights (the smart tech ones) as well as an incline/flat/decline bench so that I have something to use at school when I can't get to the gym.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2006, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Do you seriously want to be a pastor?
I don't necessarily want to. Actually lately I really would rather do anything but. Rather I feel that's what God wants me to go for. So in a sense yes I want to because I want to be obedient to God. As well pastoral caregiving is part of my nature, and an area that I'm especially gifted in. That said, do I look forward to church politics, the backstabbing that is so common in the church, and the extra biblical rules that Christian culture forces on people? No I can't stand that.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2006, 10:40 PM

I don't necessarily want to. Actually lately I really would rather do anything but. Rather I feel that's what God wants me to go for. So in a sense yes I want to because I want to be obedient to God. As well pastoral caregiving is part of my nature, and an area that I'm especially gifted in. That said, do I look forward to church politics, the backstabbing that is so common in the church, and the extra biblical rules that Christian culture forces on people? No I can't stand that.
You know, maybe this moment of doubt is in a way a gift from God. Seriously, hear me out. Perhaps it is His way of telling you to re-think your life's mission. There are many ways to serve the Lord, both in and out of the church. Think of what you could do as a social worker or a teacher or as an accountant who spends his free time tutoring disadvantaged children and building homes for Habitat. Serving the Lord is an everyday experience made manifest in many ways. Use this time of doubt to find the best way you can serve God. You might find the best way is not in a church but somewhere else. But that doesn't mean your service is any less valuable because you might not wear the pastoral collar. The Lord does work in mysterious ways. You can't hope to understand the reasons why He does what He does; The best you can hope for is to understand the work He has planned for you.

Good Luck!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
You know, maybe this moment of doubt is in a way a gift from God. Seriously, hear me out. Perhaps it is His way of telling you to re-think your life's mission. There are many ways to serve the Lord, both in and out of the church. Think of what you could do as a social worker or a teacher or as an accountant who spends his free time tutoring disadvantaged children and building homes for Habitat. Serving the Lord is an everyday experience made manifest in many ways. Use this time of doubt to find the best way you can serve God. You might find the best way is not in a church but somewhere else. But that doesn't mean your service is any less valuable because you might not wear the pastoral collar. The Lord does work in mysterious ways. You can't hope to understand the reasons why He does what He does; The best you can hope for is to understand the work He has planned for you.

Good Luck!
If it had just been a decision I'd made because I thought it was a good carrier choice then I'd say yah. That said, unfortunately no. He talked point blank with me about it, we argued, He won. When you hear english then you know He doesn't mean to be vague. Sure there's the potential that He could want me to head in that direction or something and then die on my way or something. Though frankly the words, "You're going to be a pastor" don't leave much to interpretation.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2006, 02:21 AM

Whatever happened with that chick you were trying not to bone?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2006, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by El Gato
Whatever happened with that chick you were trying not to bone?

seriously though.. I can't believe God spoke to you, that's crazy man.
ice

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 02:59 PM

In regards to God speaking, yah you should try having him do it! THAT is crazy. Very uncomfortable too. Haha, actually I love it when people only mention having a cuddly warm feeling about God. I mean sure sometimes His presence can be amazing, but if you're living in a way that He's not happy bout, it's not always fun when he tells you so... though it's always good...
Anyway oh and the girl, yah I was talking to her over reading week on MSN and it was like... yah... I don't think that this is gonna work. I dono why but sometimes people just say some things and you realize... their perspective on things just... doesn't work with your life.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 23, 2006, 03:03 PM

I'm a Christian, I don't imagine I'd get much government funding.
Huh?

forkies
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 04:42 PM

i guess there aren't scholarships given to those with imaginary friends

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Huh?
Very much of my stuff is from a particularly Christian perspective. I don't see the Canadian government wanting to support that that much.

Super Mario
Mar 23, 2006, 05:01 PM

( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:20 PM. )

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 05:16 PM

That looks cool I was debating trying to publish a book that'd be like a combination of a progression of short prose episodes mixed in with poetry...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 23, 2006, 05:21 PM

Very much of my stuff is from a particularly Christian perspective. I don't see the Canadian government wanting to support that that much.
Perhaps you should actually look into it before making strange assumptions. If you're going to school, the Canadian government doesn't stipulate you have to be a non-Christian to get student aid. In fact, I don't think the forms even ask about religion.

And you're unlikely to get much funding for poetry if you don't have a good higher education to begin with...

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Perhaps you should actually look into it before making strange assumptions. If you're going to school, the Canadian government doesn't stipulate you have to be a non-Christian to get student aid. In fact, I don't think the forms even ask about religion.

And you're unlikely to get much funding for poetry if you don't have a good higher education to begin with...
Either way right now I've got one more year till I finish my 3 year BA in Church ministries. After that point, then if I continued school I'd probably take a graphic design program at red river. I dono, I don't think I can do the whole perpetual student thing though. I imagine I'll get out and either I'll find a job in my field or I won't.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 11:58 AM

I enjoy reading the blog of two people that I care very much about. A way to learn their inner thoughts.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules