Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CES: 20" Laptop, anyone?

CES: 20" Laptop, anyone?
ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2006, 07:48 PM

OK here's what Mr Dell thinks the future is, a 20 inch screen laptop computer!

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/6411.html

Its a 'Concept PC', it has a removable full width keyboard and 8 speakers including a subwoofer. Yes Mr Dell, this is what we want in the future, a hernia, really...

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 07:52 PM

Lame.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2006, 07:58 PM

Where do I plug in my toaster?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2006, 08:03 PM

Does it have hook-ups for an iWalk though?

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 6, 2006, 08:03 PM

Awesome!

Ka-ching $$$

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 08:17 PM

To be honest they aren't saying it is laptop, it is their version if the iMac (Portable PC) and for Dell it isn't so bad.

Try moving around an iMac with the keyboard and mouse.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 6, 2006, 09:26 PM

seeing that hand makes me want to vomit.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
To be honest they aren't saying it is laptop, it is their version if the iMac (Portable PC) and for Dell it isn't so bad.

Try moving around an iMac with the keyboard and mouse.
FANBOY! BOOOOOOO TROLL!

Sorry about that, it was my little sister who typed that not me. Yet I have to respect her creative
expression and will leave it as is. Sorry Lefty.

hehe... lefty that's a good name for ya. Leia's Left Bun is tooo long to type.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ratm
FANBOY! BOOOOOOO TROLL!

Sorry about that, it was my little sister who typed that not me. Yet I have to respect her creative
expression and will leave it as is. Sorry Lefty.

hehe... lefty that's a good name for ya. Leia's Left Bun is tooo long to type.
I got bad news for you ladies:

Dell: 18 pounds (with keyboard, tracked AND has a big handle)
iMac: 22 pounds (with nothing)

It also folds up and has 8 speakers, dual processor, and bluetooth remote.

http://engadget.com/2006/01/06/hands...le-concept-pc/

Well done Dell.

pdot
Senior User
Jan 6, 2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
seeing that hand makes me want to vomit.
That picture of the melon and Cubeoid's signature are the two weirdest things I've seen in a forum. Even more amazing is that they're both in the same thread. Melon pic does look gross.

20" laptop/portable doesn't look that bad. It does seem more like a iMac alternative than a real laptop though. Maybe it works as a shield in battle as well?
( Last edited by pdot; Jan 6, 2006 at 10:03 PM. )
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 09:54 PM

Well done? Yeah, if y'all want a broken back. Last time we had an 18 lb. laptop, I believe it was the early '80s.

heh

tomodachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2006, 10:00 PM

Well done Dell.

Uhhh....

>>Although not scheduled for commercialization

Let's do all the back pats when there's actually a shipping product, shall we? I mean, was this thing even a "working" demo?? As a mockup, it's not bad. But why am I so sure that, steve willing, Apple could come up with a mockup so much cooler than this?

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by tomodachi
Uhhh....

>>Although not scheduled for commercialization

Let's do all the back pats when there's actually a shipping product, shall we? I mean, was this thing even a "working" demo?? As a mockup, it's not bad. But why am I so sure that, steve willing, Apple could come up with a mockup so much cooler than this?
The point is the damn thing works. It isn't a rendering or an empty shell.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 6, 2006, 10:03 PM

too big...this upcoming macworld, apple will drop a 10" laptop. iBook mini or something like that. It will be awesome.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 10:03 PM

Well done Dell.
Yeah... well done. Too bad it's an ugly pice of sh*t. Other than that its still ugly.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 6, 2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by iomatic
Well done? Yeah, if y'all want a broken back. Last time we had an 18 lb. laptop, I believe it was the early '80s.

heh
It's a concept pc not a laptop.

That little Chinese guy seems to have no problem.

tomodachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2006, 10:16 PM

The point is the damn thing works. It isn't a rendering or an empty shell.

No, that's not the point.

What if this thing, if put on the market today, will have to be sold at a price point of, say, $10,000 for Dell to profit off of it (and I wouldn't be surprised if that were actually the case).

Would you even be comparing it with a $1300 iMac?? I mean, YOU might, but, would it make much sense? I thought not.

Again, if Apple (and more specifically Steve) were the type (and they most definitely are not), I'm so very sure that they can come up with, and, yes, actually have a working demo of a "Concept" that is way cooler than this.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 10:21 PM

I'm actually really tempted by it as a portable wintendo. This mobile concept fits in perfectly between a gaming notebook and a Shuttle XPC rig. Depending on what graphics solution they put into it, and what the costs ends up being, this may replace my existing gaming notebook. I already own a Powerbook to use as a true laptop.

And for the record, yes it is a working system, as many news sites have now worked with it on the show floor at CES. There is a market for it, as several people I have shown it to seem really interested. One being a small business owner who would appreciate a portable computer with power over a traditional laptop.

But I suppose there is so much bias here, that because it says Dell it has to be bad. Replace the Dell logo with an Apple, make it white, and call it an iMac Portable, and the comments would be radically different.
<This space under renovation>

tomodachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Drakino
I
But I suppose there is so much bias here, that because it says Dell it has to be bad. Replace the Dell logo with an Apple, make it white, and call it an iMac Portable, and the comments would be radically different.
I don't know about other people, but I'm not biased. I myself is an owner (although I wouldn't say "proud") of both a Dell 2005FPW LCD and a Dell Dimension 9100 desktop. Although I think the Dimension looks like crap compared to Apple computers (and hence place it on the floor, right next to my desk so I can't see it at all), I actually don't mind the LCD sitting right next to my iMac/G5, usually acting as it's secondary monitor.

As I said above, I don't think this particular concept is bad, either. It's just silly for some people to compare it with a current, shipping product (i.e., iMac/G5).

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2006, 10:37 PM

Blah, concept means nothing.

What we really need is a portable computer shaped like a cube... a nice big cube...

MrPopman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2006, 11:28 PM

I can definately see a nitch for it. Todays execuatives and IS support people are basically on 24 hour call (poor idiots, I leave I'm done). Most have a laptop with a dock, full size keyboard, mouse, and display at work. With this you would bring it in, plug in power (Wi-Fi for access) and you are ready to go. When you go home, you still have a full size keyboard and display you are used to using. Also for consultants who bring their own computer this would be definate option.
MrPopman - Anybody want to play a game of pinball?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 12:13 AM

Actually, it seems pretty cool, to be honest. It's a novel idea that had not been capitalized on yet. If nothing else, Dell gets points for thinking outside the box. While most of the computer world has been focusing on making everything smaller, these guys said "Hey, some people like big too."

And in my humble opinion, it is not at all bad looking. When held to the same standards that most PCs are, it's pretty sexy. In a PC kind of way...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 01:14 AM

If they'd done something like a nice black gloss and nixed the dell logo and stuff I could sooner see myself liking the thing. It's not an awful idea. And it's actually not that bad when you consider the fact that it would be nice for a lot of people that just want a space saving computer... but still it feels a bit... yah.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 01:47 AM

Damn. You guys are such fanboys. It's not that bad. I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Dell does seem to have some design sense after all.

Having said that, it is a niche product assuming it actually does become a real product.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles
Damn. You guys are such fanboys. It's not that bad. I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Dell does seem to have some design sense after all.

Having said that, it is a niche product assuming it actually does become a real product.
Ya they are in full fanboy mode.

Don't get me wrong I still think this computer is sorta ugly but it is a good idea, has tons more features, power than the iMac and is lighter with a handle.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 02:19 AM

Well done Dell? That's a concept, not a viable shipping product. Hell, any one of us can come up with a concept. Make it a reliable, profitable computer then hand out the kudos.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 02:27 AM

By the way there is a book full of Apple concepts that tons of people enjoy looking at and praise them for coming up with. None of them made it to market and they were all empty shells.

Dell at least got theirs to work.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jan 7, 2006, 02:41 AM

And it can run OS X, too.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 02:47 AM

Anything can run OS X with the new cracked builds

That said, simply because I don't like this thing doesn't mean I'm a fan boi, though I am. It's more that like many people nobody here is instantly going to go around praising dell. Fact is if this thing ever did manage to make it to market, it'd either be pricey or feel cheap. It's one thing to make a computer look kinda cool and seem like a good idea, it's another to actually have it truly be a good idea.
Besides the idea of a trackpad in the keyboard sucks, as well I imagine you wouldn't think this thing was such an awesome machine after a while using it, it's still a concept. Odds are you'd have some usability problems.

zl9600
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2006, 02:51 AM

leia, what you're (by choice) missing here is that dell has a concept that is NOT shipping, that is NOT in production, that is NOT for sale, and you yourself are comparing it to the shipping, produced, sold i-Mac, and saying that it's two whole pounds lighter.

that is YOUR choice to make a comparison with a produced item from apple, don't change the parameters and whine about people gawking at apple concepts.

march over to the dell forum (i am not sure there is one other than the 'dell support sucks' boards) and you'll find plenty of like minds to kvetch with.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by zl9600
leia, what you're (by choice) missing here is that dell has a concept that is NOT shipping, that is NOT in production, that is NOT for sale, and you yourself are comparing it to the shipping, produced, sold i-Mac, and saying that it's two whole pounds lighter.

that is YOUR choice to make a comparison with a produced item from apple, don't change the parameters and whine about people gawking at apple concepts.

march over to the dell forum (i am not sure there is one other than the 'dell support sucks' boards) and you'll find plenty of like minds to kvetch with.
So what? I didn't say people should run out and buy the thing. I said it was a pretty impressive design for DELL and it WORKS. So cost aside it is impressive in power, weight and features next to an iMac or any other PC.

I'd still by an iMac for 10x the cost of whatever that thing is though.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 02:59 AM

See there's a problem with SWG, you can think of a product that could potentially be, a terribly specialized product that scratches and itch he doesn't quite have and it's amazing because it fits perfectly. Of course you actually introduce a product, and it doesn't do everything he feels it should, AND he sees the price of it... and well... you know how it goes.
There are two things SWG will never do, girls and make sense .

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 03:00 AM

So what? I didn't say people should run out and buy the thing. I said it was a pretty impressive design for DELL and it WORKS. So cost aside it is impressive in power, weight and features next to an iMac or any other PC.

I'd still by an iMac for 10x the cost of whatever that thing is though.
It's not that tough to get a computer like this to work. You put a power supply in, a system board, RAM, HD, processor and so on and so forth, and you figure out how you want it to look on the outside, and how you want the case to behave. All this is is a big screen in an innovative case. It's not as if they're walking on water here.

zl9600
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2006, 03:02 AM

and so is the mercedes 18 wheel all wheel drive zero emission nuclear car. faster than a porsche, safer than a volvo, won't rollover, doesn't pollute and gets 900 miles to the teaspoon.

i'll give you the point about your initial comment, but if you gawk at a concept and compare it to production products, be prepared to get hammered with lots of 'we'll see' from anyone in any group.

it looks cool folded, i'll admit. open? looks like something from leia's (the carrie fischer version) bedroom/bad 70's battlestar galactica set. but that would be dell's design team for ya.
missing.

zl9600
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2006, 03:09 AM

good point.

my point was reality: in production will it weight sub 20 pounds with all the features today's consumer wants AND be price competitive? (hint: carbon fiber isn't consumer grade and would cost more than a VAIO empty)
missing.

forkies
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
It's not that tough to get a computer like this to work. You put a power supply in, a system board, RAM, HD, processor and so on and so forth, and you figure out how you want it to look on the outside, and how you want the case to behave. All this is is a big screen in an innovative case. It's not as if they're walking on water here.
holy **** you've obviously been studying engineering & industrial design over there at bible college. let us know when you make your first design based on your above principles.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

graphics84
Senior User
Jan 7, 2006, 10:04 AM

"PUKE"... my god the 17" looks like an aircraft carrier dn bariey fits on a Starbucks table.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 10:21 AM

its good for people that take there computer to work and then to home. Not good for ppl that use laptops on the go like at coffee shops and students. I think there is a market for it.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

cgmpowers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2006, 11:18 AM

I take my 17" Powerbook everywhere, and use it to death. I love it, however, there are times I think its too damn bulky.

One of my favorite diners has wi-fi and I take it often. However on busier days when sitting at the counter, its sometimes too crowded to use. On those days, I wish I had brought my wife's 12" Powerbook..

Christopher Powers

p.s. There's no way I'd buy a 20" Powerbook... It'd be overkill, nice but overkill..

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2006, 02:25 PM

Well done Dell.
How am I going to replace every single component during the lifetime of the product when they inevitably fail? Dell should stick to easy access towers, it's much easier on us techs.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Super Mario
Jan 7, 2006, 03:17 PM

Bill Dell or whatever his first name is has been sleeping under rocks. That is a 20 inch widescreen TAM.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 08:01 PM

Not only that, but every time somebody buys one Mikey Dell will kill a kitten

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2006, 08:05 PM

Kind of reminds me of the 20th Anniversary Mac. Way to go Dell! Copying 6 year old Macs

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 08:38 PM

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2006, 08:46 PM

I bet it even wakes from sleep without requiring a hard reboot.

Apple should look into adding that feature.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 09:00 PM

I think that one looks pretty cool, I wouldn't own one, but still pretty cool.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 12:00 AM

It's interesting, but looks ugly and bulky.

I would think Apple could take such a concept and make it work.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Deal
Kind of reminds me of the 20th Anniversary Mac. Way to go Dell! Copying 6 year old Macs
Yeah, I suppose they are both computers, and both have LCDs... Not seeing any connections beyond that. Oh, wait, they both have keyboards, got it... Man, the whole PC industry has been copying Apple for ages because of those keyboards...
<This space under renovation>

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 8, 2006, 01:01 AM

hey Dr. Arkino, you should play with Mindfad, he likes WoW also.

forkies
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 01:27 AM

i don't get CES. it's just a bunch of companies showing things that will never be released. why even make them & show them? to be attention whores? i think the ppl here that mention this is just a concept computer while the imac is an actual, shipping product are astute.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Forum Links
Forum Rules