Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What Next? How About Muslim Hospital Attire

What Next? How About Muslim Hospital Attire (Page 4)
Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 02:29 PM

That's a great post, invisbleX.

I second the from Sayf-Allah.

And, anyway, I come from the school of thought - weird and singular as it may be - that "God" or "Allah" or "Buddha" or "Jesus" came to deliver a message of peace to all of us in various forms of a prophet to various peoples throughout the world. I truly do believe that. God is whatever - whomever - we want God to be at various times throughout history. The underlying message is goodness and faith in a higher power.

I think that faith is warped by man, however, and then it is called "religion."

Religions, in turn, become the catalyst for wars, unfortunately.

Having said that, human beings are not intellectually evolved enough to not act barbarically when belief systems are challenged by someone or something different.

I started this thread with the thought that if I was ill and in the hospital the very last thing that I would want is more clothing on my body or my head - especially if I had IVs or a fever or wounds, etc. I just want to lay in a comfortable bed in clean white sheets and sleep and sleep and sleep.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Sep 6, 2006, 02:37 PM

The only problem is when it controls those who DON'T want to be controlled by it.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
And, anyway, I come from the school of thought - weird and singular as it may be - that "God" or "Allah" or "Buddha" or "Jesus" came to deliver a message of peace to all of us in various forms of a prophet to various peoples throughout the world. I truly do believe that.
So you're basically a new-ager then?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 03:39 PM

Maybe. Religion has so screwed up my parent's/grandparents families that I've really not embraced any particular religion as a result. I find any religion to have serious faults, though I do have my children say prayers at night, read the Bible to them, and we have prayers before meals. I want them to be courteous and compassionate people. But I have raised my children to embrace all religions. They will readily state that they say their prayers and believe in God, but my children cannot state what their religion is - we don't have one - and therefore there is no religious conflict in my family. They do know that they have both Christian and Jewish relatives and that we respect both religions but adhere to neither.

And I like it that way.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2006, 03:44 PM

We might have our disagreements on most things Cody and often say things to insult each other (or is that just me?) but to that I have to say

They believe in God and the Last Day; they enjoin what is right, and forbid what is wrong; and they hasten (in emulation) in (all) good works: They are in the ranks of the righteous.

"Learn to swim"

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 03:52 PM

Thanks, Sayf.

My son's best friend is Muslim, actually, His parents are both physicians (cardiologists). He's a smart little kid, too.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain
The only problem is when it controls those who DON'T want to be controlled by it.
What's the difference between a religion forcing you to accept it's controls and the religion misleading you into accepting, and even wanting, it's controls?

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Sep 7, 2006, 07:36 AM

You can walk away from the one that misleads you.
The other one executes you.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain
You can walk away from the one that misleads you.
The other one executes you.
Gotcha. One threatens your eternal life if you leave while the other threatens your physical life.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2006, 01:51 PM

Hassidic and ultra orthodox Jews oblige their women to dress with a scarf on their heads, and long sleeves, and very long night gowns and the men just go on top of them during sex for 5 minutes and make sure that it is all for procreation.

Women in the Catholic faith have to cover their heads when they go to the Vatican.

Do I agree with any of this of course not, what we wear has nothing to do with God but with a bunch of men that think by putting down women, it makes them more powerful.

By the way Middle Eastern men are very patient before marriage, but afterward women becomes second class citizens. And the only way this will all change is that if women change the laws.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2006, 01:59 PM

Nobody is wondering how they do a breast exam, mamography, gyneocological exam, how do the doctor put the speculum in, and any other type of exam.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Women in the Catholic faith have to cover their heads when they go to the Vatican.
It is easy to get enough of your stupid posts Monique.

Decent attire is required, women must have their shoulders covered (including their upper-arm), not show cleavage and should wear skirts/shorts/pants that at least cover down to their knees. Men cannot wear singlets, but t-shirts are fine. In some places you may get away with wearing shorts, others you may be expected to wear pants.

NO NEED OR REQUIREMENT FOR WOMEN OR MEN TO COVER THEIR HEAD WHILE IN ANY PLACE IN THE VATICAN.

Do you know anything?

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Men cannot wear singlets
Teh Vatican discriminates against Australian blokes!!
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2006, 03:21 PM

It is easy to get enough of your stupid posts Monique.

Decent attire is required, women must have their shoulders covered (including their upper-arm), not show cleavage and should wear skirts/shorts/pants that at least cover down to their knees. Men cannot wear singlets, but t-shirts are fine. In some places you may get away with wearing shorts, others you may be expected to wear pants.

NO NEED OR REQUIREMENT FOR WOMEN OR MEN TO COVER THEIR HEAD WHILE IN ANY PLACE IN THE VATICAN.

Do you know anything?

V
Get a grip on yourself would you? Are you a priest or what?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2006, 05:45 PM

Get a grip on yourself would you? Are you a priest or what?
Why did you lie about the dress code in the Vatican? Did you honestly not know better or do you have something against the Catholic Church?

Who told you women had to cover their head/hair while in the Vatican?

V

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Teh Vatican discriminates against Australian blokes!!
There's a strict don't ask don't tell policy towards Australians in the Vatican

V

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 01:19 PM

Why did you lie about the dress code in the Vatican? Did you honestly not know better or do you have something against the Catholic Church?

Who told you women had to cover their head/hair while in the Vatican?

V
Every time I some some woman visit Jean-Paul they were wearing some sort of scarf.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 01:25 PM

Every time I (saw) some some woman visit Jean-Paul they were wearing some sort of scarf.
I can only assume you mean this. If so, please do let me know. I don't want to reply when I'm filling in the blanks.

V

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 03:56 PM

The fact is that you probably shouldn't be posting here and in conversation with a tall strawberry blonde long-haired American woman who is laying on her bed all naked with nothing more than some very nice black lace underwear on.
That sounds...incredibly delicious.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 04:07 PM

I can only assume you mean this. If so, please do let me know. I don't want to reply when I'm filling in the blanks.

V
OK. Jean-Paul II

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2006, 06:48 PM

Hassidic and ultra orthodox Jews oblige their women to dress with a scarf on their heads, and long sleeves, and very long night gowns and the men just go on top of them during sex for 5 minutes and make sure that it is all for procreation.
Hassidic and ultra orthodox men don't exactly get an ultra-stylish wardrobe to wear either.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 08:25 PM

They won't let me into Canada unless I cover my privates.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 08:53 PM

Every time I (saw) some some woman visit Jean-Paul (II) they were wearing some sort of scarf.
Alright, makes sense you came to that conclusion. Those women have had their reasons for wearing some sort of scarf, but it was not because it was required of them.

Perhaps they felt it was the proper attire when meeting the Pope?

Regardless, it is *no* requirement to cover the head in Catholicism.

V

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 10:40 PM

The fact is that you probably shouldn't be posting here and in conversation with a tall strawberry blonde long-haired American woman who is laying on her bed all naked with nothing more than some very nice black lace underwear on. Isn't that against some rule of yours?
lol! I wish I had seen this one earlier! Apparently, older women who've had children aren't very desirable in America

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
I've seen nude beaches in Europe. A bunch of topless 45 year old women with 4 kids.

Don't think we need to see that here in the USA.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by hatim
People here are just full of hatred towards Islam. Why should you care what a government tells its people to do? In western culture women are nothing but sex symbols. Just becuase you thing something is right or wrong does not make it so.
Government should never tell its people to do anything.

Governments exist to serve and protect us. We owe government nothing.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
lol! I wish I had seen this one earlier! Apparently, older women who've had children aren't very desirable in America
Have you seen 'average' couplings in US tv commercials?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 11:29 PM

Alright, makes sense you came to that conclusion. Those women have had their reasons for wearing some sort of scarf, but it was not because it was required of them.

Perhaps they felt it was the proper attire when meeting the Pope?

Regardless, it is *no* requirement to cover the head in Catholicism.

V
What is improper attire for meeting the Pope, and what makes it improper?

Forum Links
Forum Rules