Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lost Season 3

Lost Season 3
forkies
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 02:00 PM

maybe starting a new thread for season 3 is good,

what's the significance of the names at the end?

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2006, 02:04 PM

Gee was that a TV show or an hour of commercials I just watched? Seemed like a lot of ads to me. Anyway, the teaser for the next episode was quite titillating

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2006, 02:06 PM

I liked it, though I was getting tired of Jack and Juliet's little game. "Is she -- boohoo hoo -- hap..py??"

Give me a break.

Kate was hawt in that dress. Need some pics!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2006, 02:46 PM

Wow. I am quite confused, or rather… lost.

I was hoping for more Polar Bears. AH! as I wrote that I figured out where he came from! omg.

-Owl

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2006, 03:06 PM

uhh...i think the polar bears were the bears they referred to when talking to sawyer, and the shark we were questioning in season 1 was in the aquarium that jack was held in. dharma seems to be upping their testing subjects from animals to humans.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
uhh...i think the polar bears were the bears they referred to when talking to sawyer, and the shark we were questioning in season 1 was in the aquarium that jack was held in. dharma seems to be upping their testing subjects from animals to humans.
There was a shark in S1?

I didn't care much for the Jack backstory, and nothing was really answered. Next week looks good though.

anilos81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by forkies
maybe starting a new thread for season 3 is good,

What’s the significance of the names at the end?
I read some interesting things about the names. 'Gale' was chosen as Henry's fake last name from The Wizard of Oz. And 'Juliet' from Romeo and Juliet, since Juliet fell in love with a man from the other side of her social world. Locke is named after Locke the philosopher, and rightly so. I'm sure there are more if you really think about it.

The names at the end are just their real names. Julia=Juliet, Henry=Ben.

Here is one crazy name thought I just came up with-it might be a stretch. I looked up the names John and Jack and Jack is actually the medieval form of John. So technically John Locke and Jack Shephard share the same name, which means 'god gave.' Both men are looked at as the authoritative figures on the island, the ones that can lead the rest to safety. But John Locke is faith driven, where Jack is very technical, logical and more science driven.

It's ironic that Jack's last name is Shephard, when it implies a more religious faith based type of leading. And John’s last name is Locke, when Locke was philosopher who encouraged people to make decisions and look at things from a logical perspective; not one based on faith and superstition. It seems like they have each others last names, maybe to enforce the idea that despite all of their differences at their core they are the same character.
( Last edited by anilos81; Oct 5, 2006 at 07:00 PM. )

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
There was a shark in S1?

I didn't care much for the Jack backstory, and nothing was really answered. Next week looks good though.
Nothing was answered? We learned where and under what conditions the Others really live within the first two minutes of the episode. We also learned that Benry sent Ethan and Goodwin out immediately after the crash to infiltrate, almost as if they were expecting something like this to happen eventually. Also, it could be that the Hydra station is the reason for the power cable on the beach, leading out into the ocean. We're not going to get answers to everything in the first of 24 episodes, although by the end of the season, there will likely be new questions. That's the way the show rolls. I dug it.

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 07:04 PM

While we got a small glimpse into the Others' conditions, the flashback taught us nothing, which was kind of a disappointment as it has been, at times, an excellent tool for enlightening us as to who the hell these people are.

So rather than give us one of the Others, or teach us something new about one of the - jeez only 3 - main characters - they decided to throw yet another pointless rehash of Jack's divorce and his alcoholic dad. I mean, enough already. A wasted opportunity.

Jee, ya think there's going to be something between Jack and Juliet. Ya think maybe? I mean is it that out of the question? Ditto Sawyer and Freckles.

So all in all, few surprises, more of the same and I still can't wait for the next epidsode.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2006, 11:57 PM

I just hope the people in the hatch aren't dead.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2006, 01:07 AM

Was were the others not concerned about what was happening in the hatch? I mean, clearly its a big deal. The thing took down a plane, caused an earthquake!

greenamp
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 01:49 AM

This episode was "meh."

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Oct 6, 2006, 02:35 AM

I thought the episode was crap.

Oh! The others are actually very civilized! They have homes and a community and even a book club! They have orange juice and coffee!

WHY WHY WHY. HOW HOW HOW. I WANT TO KNOW THAT.

Oh...Jack....we know EVERY possible thing about you, even though you crashed on this island a little over a month ago.

Oh..he is some random kid in a jail cell across from Sawyer that is able to pick the lock and try to escape, only to be caught seconds later. WHO IS HE? WHY WOULDNT SAWYER ASK THIS LIKE ANY LOGICAL PERSON WOULD?

I am a big fan of the show, but I want to know whats going on. If they keep creating more questions instead of giving us some answers people will become frustrated and lose interest.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 02:43 AM

This episode was GREAT.

We finally get to see how the others live(d).

Was that tune Jack was listeneing to when watching his wife from his car the same one Hurley and Said were picking up on the beach with their make-shift radio?

Can't wait for next weeks ep.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
Was that tune Jack was listeneing to when watching his wife from his car the same one Hurley and Said were picking up on the beach with their make-shift radio?
Nice catch! Yes, it was Glenn Miller.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MOTHERWELL
Oh...Jack....we know EVERY possible thing about you, even though you crashed on this island a little over a month ago.
That thick file she had was a prop. She told Jack nothing he hadn't already revealed, yet she did a fine job of convincing him she had all that information. I'm not convinced that scene is any evidence that they have outside contact or even operatives working for them in the real world.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
nothing was really answered. Next week looks good though.
Dude, that's the gist of the show! Same as it was with Alias. You never knew what was going on and you always felt they were close to telling you.

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 10:57 AM

Can anyone do me a favour by providing a very quick update on what's happened on Lost over the last series and a bit? I got bored probably about half way through the first series. The last stuff I remember seeing was the mad frenchwoman, the strange voices, the kidnapping and reapperance of the pregnant girl etc

I don't care much about the more soap opera elements to the story - i.e. who's paired off with who etc, but what more do we know about what the whole things all about?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 11:18 AM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

anilos81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by talisker
Can anyone do me a favour by providing a very quick update on what's happened on Lost over the last series and a bit? I got bored probably about half way through the first series. The last stuff I remember seeing was the mad frenchwoman, the strange voices, the kidnapping and reapperance of the pregnant girl etc

I don't care much about the more soap opera elements to the story - i.e. who's paired off with who etc, but what more do we know about what the whole things all about?
You can watch the season 2 recap epsiode on abc.com. That does a pretty good job.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 11:21 AM

The boy in the prison cell was an other, and his getting out was a ruse to make Sawyer see the futility of trying to escape.

Sawyer, Jack, and Kate are undergoing psychological conditioning meant to break their will. Then they will be let in on some great thing the others are trying to acheive, and will be faced with some kind of decision to help them or defect, whatever. And this one plot line will be spread out over 21 episodes, 146 flashbacks (1/3 of which will be meaningless beyond showing some coincidental connection which will never be built upon), and 21 kate boob shots.

Oversoul
Senior User
Oct 6, 2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
. . .and 21 kate boob shots.
Only 21?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul
Only 21?

Here are a couple:

greenamp
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2006, 12:16 AM

So umm, Locke builds a tent and goes inside to take drugs from which he sees Boone in a vision leading him to rescue Echo from a Polar Bear using a hairspray torch as a weapon.

heh.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2006, 07:26 AM

"the hatch blew off your underpants?"
we don't have time to stop for gas

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
So umm, Locke builds a tent and goes inside to take drugs from which he sees Boone in a vision leading him to rescue Echo from a Polar Bear using a hairspray torch as a weapon.

heh.
Eko fool

greenamp
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211 View Post
Eko fool
f*ck off.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2006, 05:30 PM

That's nice

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
"the hatch blew off your underpants?"
that makes me wonder if the body in the cave wearing the darma jumpsuit was desmond's (somehow).

-r.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2006, 09:56 PM

So... uhmm... theories on how Desmond knew the future?

Naplander
Senior User
Oct 20, 2006, 06:22 AM

Great episode - nice and bloody

Any theories on Hurleys deja vu at the end?

Damn this show, it just always introduces new questions and hardly ever gives answers!
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2006, 10:28 AM

Ok some of you guys are controled by their hormones and some actually watch the show. For those who watch the show, who are the others?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2006, 10:43 AM

( Last edited by RAILhead; Oct 25, 2006 at 10:27 PM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 10:26 PM

Well that episode pretty much ended up sucking totally.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 10:29 PM

$5 says Jack is the one with the Tumor

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 11:22 PM

Hmm... need to be downloading the next ep... Who doesn`t like a show about a bunch of sexy people living on a tropical island?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 06:47 AM

If I remember the first episode of this season correctly, the plane crashed on the island that the others were on, not on an adjacent island. For Ben to have told Sawyer they were on a different island, he's either lying, or the others were on that same island and then moved to the other island after they captured the three. Seems unlikely due to the fact that they had a whole village of houses there and they wouldn't just up and leave all of that.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 07:07 AM

We never really knew which island the others were from -- it was an assumption. That assumption was blown when we saw they had a boat.

andi*pandi
Oct 26, 2006, 08:12 AM

I'm betting their little village is on the main island, but there is an underwater passage (where jack is kept) that leads to the zoo island where sawyer and kate are.

pman68
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2006, 09:03 AM

On the next episode trailer they show a glimpse of a guy with an eyepatch or an alien. Know what I'm talking about? Screen capture anyone?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I'm betting their little village is on the main island, but there is an underwater passage (where jack is kept) that leads to the zoo island where sawyer and kate are.
When Benry rushed into Jack's cell to get Juliet, he said, "The sub's back." DHARMA pro'ly had a small research sub which The Others used to get the Elizabeth (and explains why they were able to get on the boat and suprise Sun). Also the separate island is why Benry was so freaked about the Losties having a boat - the Losties could get the Other Island at will.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2006, 11:01 PM

...Okay, so WTF is up with the black fog??
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2006, 11:02 PM

NOOOOO! Why did they kill Ecko off?!?!

Mr. Eko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 11:04 PM

Oh Wtf!

Mr. Eko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 11:05 PM

Seriously, was it that whole DUI thing? 'Cause it was an honest mistake...

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 11:06 PM

So this episode failed to keep my attention - I found myself flipping channels. I'm already bored with Lost.

What's up with the sexy blond chick in the tank top? I missed her signifigance other than to distract us all from the shoddy writing and plot holes.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 11:10 PM

how did mr eye patch know they were watching him all of a sudden?

ambush
Banned
Nov 1, 2006, 11:11 PM

I'm getting bored of all this crap too.
I wonder if I'll keep downloading them.

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
how did mr eye patch know they were watching him all of a sudden?
I'm guessing a little light on the camera went on, much like what happens with Jack's camera.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 11:17 PM

oh, and the black fog stuff is really really lame

Forum Links
Forum Rules