Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes 4 access not working.

iTunes 4 access not working.
danbalsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2003, 12:13 PM

I'm new to the MacNN Forums so hey to everyone.

Heres my problem which I'm hoping you'll be able to help me with:

I've recently created a new user account for myself, after my old one got very bogged down and corrupted. So I copied all my iTunes music folder to my new user account's Home Folder, iTunes has detected all my music just fine. But all the files appear to be "locked" i.e I can't modify any tags or album art!!!

I've checked most of the files and I've got the proper permissions for them, has anyone ever seen this before?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

All the best
Daniel Balshaw

- Neowin.net member ;)

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2003, 12:18 PM

Repairing permissions might help. That's something I always do when things like this arise.

Also, you might get more responses for this if you put it in the Software forum.

forkies
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by danbalsh:
I'm new to the MacNN Forums so hey to everyone.

Heres my problem which I'm hoping you'll be able to help me with:

I've recently created a new user account for myself, after my old one got very bogged down and corrupted. So I copied all my iTunes music folder to my new user account's Home Folder, iTunes has detected all my music just fine. But all the files appear to be "locked" i.e I can't modify any tags or album art!!!

I've checked most of the files and I've got the proper permissions for them, has anyone ever seen this before?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

All the best
Sounds like you have an ownership problem. You should select the iTunes folder in question, get info on it, go to "Ownership and Permissions", unlock it, and set the owner to you. Then tell it to "Apply to enclosed items". That should fix your problem.

Alternatively you could do this via the terminal with:

sudo chown -R <your-username> ~/Music (This assumes you're music is in the Music folder in your home directory.

You might be best off running this command:

sudo chown -R <your-username> ~

The reason is that if you created a new user and copied the files from the old one over, you might want to make sure you are the owner of all those files. So that command changes your current username to the owner of everything in your current home directory.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

danbalsh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2003, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the tips guys

I'm so embarrassed to tell you what the problem was, but here goes:

When I copied the "Music" folder to the new users home directory, that included the iTunes.xml file(s)

Which were still pointing to the old users music folder, which is why I couldn't gain proper access to the files

Thanks again
Daniel Balshaw

- Neowin.net member ;)

Forum Links
Forum Rules