Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Acquisition is Getting Worse Every Version...

Acquisition is Getting Worse Every Version...
Seamus
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 02:05 AM

I seem to remember once upon a time I could connect to more than 12 peers at once. Now that number is only 5. It's dropping each and every version. What gives?
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by Seamus:
I seem to remember once upon a time I could connect to more than 12 peers at once. Now that number is only 5. It's dropping each and every version. What gives?
If you read in the Acquisition forums this has been explained many a time.

Basically, allowing people to connect to to many hosts is bad for the network. If Dave (the Acquisition developer) kept allowing Acquisition to connect to a large number of hosts, it would be banned by LimeWire and would be useless. So while you're not allowed to connect to as many hosts, you *are* allowed to connect to the network, and that's better in the long run.
---------------

If your host # argument is all you've got, you've got a pretty weak case - the newish "browse host" feature is pretty damn nifty itself, especially if you find a good host with fast transfers.
cpac

Seamus  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 02:33 AM

Is this "host limit" new to the network? Because it obviously wasn't an issue before when I could be connected to more hosts.

Porfiry
Apr 22, 2003, 05:23 AM

The number of connections is going down because each connection is, on average, far more productive than it was before. The gnutella network of today is vastly different in topology than 2 months ago.

If you actually made any effort to understand the situation you could avoid making inane and cluess comments. Try harder next time.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2003, 09:00 AM

I have found searches with Acquisition getting better, and more reliable, with every release. I deleted LimeWire ages ago.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 09:17 AM

Am I the only one who lost the ability to use Acquisition by upgrading to v0.86...?

I closed the previous version... dragged the new version to the Apps folder (As I do with EVERY upgrade) and re-launched.

Upon re-launching, it was not listing the Que of previous downloads that are in the Incomplete Downloads folder... so, I go and trash the .plist file and re-launch and re-choose the directories and appropriate settings... the files still do not show-up, even though they ARE in the correct directories.

It gets even worse... I am not getting ANY search results back at ALL. I can type in a search like "Music" and it yeilds no results... I tried ".Mp3" and got no results... I even tried (drumroll, please...) the word "Sex" and got NO RESULTS... yet people are uploading from ME... What's the dilly-yo...?

I think I'm hosed on this version. As I type this... I re-launched it... same deal... no previous downloads, someone is uploading from me and I typed in two searches that yielded NO results...

What's wrong here...? Was it ME... or is this a nasty bug...?

Thanks.

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Apr 22, 2003, 09:20 AM

It's going to be interesting to see the treatment Acquisition will get once Apple releases their music strategy on the 28th.

No matter what Porfiry and others would like to have you believe, Acquisition and all other P2P software are mainly used to pirate software. There will always be people that will claim they use the P2P software to download legal files. Uh huh, sure!

If you're looking for legal downloads (ie, shareware, freeware, legally downloadable movies and music, documents, images, etc.) they can certainly be downloaded off the web.

Porfiry doubted he'd be able to win Apple's software design award...and he's right. No matter how well the software is written and how well it follows Apple's HIGs, Apple is never going to give an award to an app that encourages piracy...especially after they announce their music service.

Sorry, Porfiry, old chap...Acquisition's days are numbered.

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito 2:
It's going to be interesting to see the treatment Acquisition will get once Apple releases their music strategy on the 28th.

No matter what Porfiry and others would like to have you believe, Acquisition and all other P2P software are mainly used to pirate software. There will always be people that will claim they use the P2P software to download legal files. Uh huh, sure!

If you're looking for legal downloads (ie, shareware, freeware, legally downloadable movies and music, documents, images, etc.) they can certainly be downloaded off the web.

Porfiry doubted he'd be able to win Apple's software design award...and he's right. No matter how well the software is written and how well it follows Apple's HIGs, Apple is never going to give an award to an app that encourages piracy...especially after they announce their music service.

Sorry, Porfiry, old chap...Acquisition's days are numbered.
While you're right that Apple wouldn't award Aquisition with a Design Award, I think you're wrong about its days being numbered. I for one will always use Aquisition as my P2P client of choice. Not only is it free, but where else can I find Cowboy Bebop music videos?
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

sandsl
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 12:56 PM

I couldn't disagree more with the original poster. Acquisition has made huge improvements recently - I love iTunes intergration! Well done!
Luke

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
While you're right that Apple wouldn't award Aquisition with a Design Award, I think you're wrong about its days being numbered. I for one will always use Aquisition as my P2P client of choice. Not only is it free, but where else can I find Cowboy Bebop music videos?
I don't think P2P file sharing will ever disappear. Yet I agree that Aquisition, while demonstrating a very polished GUI, won't be considered for the Apple Design Awards.

From the aquisition website:
Acquisition is free to download. However, if you use Acquisition it is expected that you purchase a registration for the program.
Now... the morality of registratering a piracy tool is another discussion entirely.

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by dfiler:
Now... the morality of registratering a piracy tool is another discussion entirely.
Not that Acquisition is unique in that either... (and personally I think well written software, regardless of its purpose, out to ask for/be rewarded with registration)
cpac

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Porfiry:
If you actually made any effort to understand the situation you could avoid making inane and cluess comments. Try harder next time.
Do you have to be rude all of the time?

Jan Van Boghout
Apr 22, 2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Apparently

forkies
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
I agree. I've gone to the Acquisition support board sometimes and his messages almost always have a very negative tinge to them. Possibly dealing with his app's target audience makes him feel like he needs to be defensive all of the time.

I also agree that Acquisition has been going downhill. Even disregarding the decline in # of hosts, the hosts it DOES connect to are usually shitty. I downloaded 0.86 and had a VERY low number of files to search from, even after letting the app sit and try to make better connections. And, much more often than not, even if you find files the host is busy or offline or some bs. Just don't show the ****ing files then!

Oh yeah...it's free, and it's for getting copyrighted material for free, and the ******* doesn't HAVE to develop the app, but I honestly couldn't care less if he stopped making the app.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by forkies:
I agree. I've gone to the Acquisition support board sometimes and his messages almost always have a very negative tinge to them. Possibly dealing with his app's target audience makes him feel like he needs to be defensive all of the time.

I also agree that Acquisition has been going downhill.
I honestly couldn't care less if he stopped making the app.
I've never visited the discussion board nor do I know the developer...
But it seems like your personal dislike of the developer is skewing your evaluation of his product.

Who cares if the developer allegedly, ocaisionally, has a defensive reaction to criticism? This is a pretty normal, if not healthy, trait in software developers. Its why software corporations also have marketing departments. But shareware houses don't have marketing or public relations departments so you'll just have to live with talking staight to the code monkey... if you can handle it.

IMHO, Aquisition is the best P2P app available for OS X. It certainly has the most refined and elegant interface.

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 04:31 PM

all I know is if people continually posted things like "Acquisition sucks, i can't connect to as many hosts" without bothering to visit the discussion boards (there's a link directly in Acquisition!) and see why that might be the case (since it's only been explained a few zillion times) I might feel a little defensive too.

I mean look at the topic of the thread! It's not "why doesn't acquisition let me connect to as many hosts as I used to?" It a blanket, and after a little education blatantly wrong, assertion.
cpac

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 04:47 PM

Acquisition has the best GUI I've seen in some time. Everytime I use it I want to sing "thats the the way ah-huh-ah-huh I liiiiiiike it".

With that I'd like to say that its one of the least capable illegal-music-obtaining software I've used. For practical purposes it could replace any of the other software I use and I would be quite inclined to use limewire instead if it weren't for the GUI.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Apr 22, 2003, 05:25 PM

If there was a serious anonymous poll on what kind of software was downloaded with P2P software the numbers would look something like:

98% copyrighted material
1% freeware or shareware material that can be downloaded off the web
and <1% material that can't be found anywhere but on P2P software

P2P such as Limewire, Kazaa, Acquisition etc. are a piracy tools. A handful might use it for legal purposes but the rest of the world doesn't.

Almost everyone has illegal software installed on their computer or has copied a movie or music onto cassettes. Don't be shy to admit it. But allowing this kind of thing to get out of hand and encouraging people to pirate via P2P software is bad news.

If you like a company or a band or a movie a lot, why would you rip off the people behind it?

Downloading Panther when it's released isn't going to help Apple.
Downloading your favorite Avril Lavigne songs won't help her.
Downloading Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King instead of seeing it in the theater or buying the DVD won't help Hollywood produce movies.

I can see a bit of pirating to be part of our lives like it's always been...but letting it become or whole life is not good.

Some people need to control themselves and realize what they're doing.

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 05:42 PM

If there was a serious anonymous poll on what kind of software was downloaded with P2P software the numbers would look something like:

98% copyrighted material
1% freeware or shareware material that can be downloaded off the web
and <1% material that can't be found anywhere but on P2P software

P2P such as Limewire, Kazaa, Acquisition etc. are a piracy tools. A handful might use it for legal purposes but the rest of the world doesn't.

Almost everyone has illegal software installed on their computer or has copied a movie or music onto cassettes. Don't be shy to admit it. But allowing this kind of thing to get out of hand and encouraging people to pirate via P2P software is bad news.

If you like a company or a band or a movie a lot, why would you rip off the people behind it?

Downloading Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King instead of seeing it in the theater or buying the DVD won't help Hollywood produce movies.

I can see a bit of pirating to be part of our lives like it's always been...but letting it become or whole life is not good.

Some people need to control themselves and realize what they're doing.
Even though I'd be on your side, I'm going to play the devil's advocate.

Music compagnies have been over-exploiting musicians lately. They've been saying that they were making profit records while crying like babys because Napster (at the time) was 'stealing' them money.

I believe the artist should have more money in their pockets, at least have 50% of the revenues (right now it's quite lower than that).

I just hope Apple's initiative will nost cost an arm and a leg to the musician, like 'traditionnal' means of producing does like now.

If you don't believe me.. I'd say trends are changing, some musicians are begining to produce and ship their music themselves up here..

Stealing music is not stealing from the musician (which makes lots of money with shows) but stealing from the producers..

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 06:50 PM

... long argument about why piracy is bad ...
Why not post this to a thread *about* piracy rather than one about the merits of a particular application that can be used for illegal purposes?

Whether piracy is good or bad has little to do with whether Acquisition is a well-made product.
cpac

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Apr 22, 2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by cpac:

Whether piracy is good or bad has little to do with whether Acquisition is a well-made product.
Well obviously the original poster thinks Acquisition is *not* a well-made product.

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 08:57 PM

Well obviously the original poster thinks Acquisition is *not* a well-made product.
yes, and if you read my response right below his post, I state why I think his criticisms are invalid.
cpac

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2003, 10:13 PM

you folks must be doing something wrong.

I have been connected for 38 minutes with .86 and have 1.3 Million files

a .82 is the highest with 467K files the rest are limewire with 200K + each

become an ultrapeer and you always get lots of files at the lost of 5k second bandwidth on outgoing and 5K sec incoming (here at least that is what happens)

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 10:23 PM

Maybe you could find some better examples of companies that need my money to stay afloat... Apple, Avril, and Hollywood are doing just fine despite Aquisition, and so is Madonna, the one that bitches the most about people stealing her precious work. What is she worth now... a billion $$$???

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2003, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
... and so is Madonna, the one that bitches the most about people stealing her precious work.
No, that would be Metallica.

JeremyS
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 10:38 PM

far from the truth, it has easily become the best file exchange app for OS X, and I use to hate it!

Now it's awesome and it feels like a OS X app from the ground up.

Seamus  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 11:01 PM

Perhaps my original posting was a little hostile, and I apologize for that. However, I don't agree that I should totally understand why the host #'s have been going down when the read me that comes with the application mentions NOTHING about it. All I see is less hosts (which don't stay connected very long, btw), and less results returned. Information like this should be bundled with the application.

And I agree...once Apple releases their music service, I think Acquisition is going to have a cease-and-decist on their hands. I think there should be protection for the p2p themselves, but the courts seem to think differently.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Apr 23, 2003, 12:46 AM

and so is Madonna, the one that bitches the most about people stealing her precious work. What is she worth now... a billion $$$??? [/B]
I guess you didn't hear what she did. When her new album came out they had fake versions put up on p2p networks that looked like the real songs. When you played them you heard a voice say "What the F%^& do you think you are doing?". This is were it gets interesting; a hacker, who was rather pissed by this hacked her website and put all the songs up for download along with this line: "This is what the F*&* I think I'm doing!"

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2003, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Seamus:
And I agree...once Apple releases their music service, I think Acquisition is going to have a cease-and-decist on their hands. I think there should be protection for the p2p themselves, but the courts seem to think differently.
yes perhaps the readme could be more explicit about the hosts issue (but it was widely discussed on the acquisition forums, as I mentioned).

Anyway, I don't think there's any legal basis for a "cease and desist" (i.e. injunction) order against Acquisition regardless of what Apple does...
cpac

Seamus  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
yes perhaps the readme could be more explicit about the hosts issue (but it was widely discussed on the acquisition forums, as I mentioned).

Anyway, I don't think there's any legal basis for a "cease and desist" (i.e. injunction) order against Acquisition regardless of what Apple does...
There's as much of a legal basis as there was for Morpheus or Napster...and they both got sued.

kupan787
Senior User
Apr 23, 2003, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
No, that would be Metallica.
Yes metallica did raise a stink, but they wern't the only ones. Plus Metallica admited they wern't doing it for the money (they never have, learn a bit about the band and you will see). In fact, their new CD is being shipped with a FREE DVD (you pay the normal $15, and get a DVD as well).

I think everyone would agree that stealing is wrong. You wouldn't go into your local Starbucks and hold up the clerk (well most of you wouldn't...). However, not everyone things downloading software/mp3s they don't own is stealing. They can justify it to themselfs in many ways.

But whatever. Saying that Metallica sucks cause they brough down napster, or Madonna is a bitch for complaining about people stealing her work is just childish. If someone came into your home and stole all of your stuff, would you complain to the police? Of course. Did Metallica shut down napster? No. The RIAA is who really brough them down, Metallica settled with napster.

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2003, 03:22 AM

first I LUV acquisition...the UI is great and the taste of the developer is excellent...

however now for the bad news...

- the latest couple of verions hog the connection so other apps that use the internet can't connect well
- made my computer crash to log in
- I need to quit and restart it to reconnect to new downloads instead of it just being able to download the rest on my list
- my download lists erase upon quitting sometimes
- it messes up my airport sometimes making me have to restart it

that being said it's not a 1.0 ... and it is the best we have on the platform.... and the the simplicity in it's design is top notch...

Things I would like to be added are
- the ability to chat to the person you are downoading stuff from
- searching the download window
- if you select a download that you are have downloaded it asks you if you would still like to download
- don't let people upload unless they let you upload from them
- metal skin - just kidding... all though I don't mind it actually

anyway I wish i didn't download the last couple of versions..but I still think this developer rox! thanks for your hard work!

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Apr 23, 2003, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Maybe you could find some better examples of companies that need my money to stay afloat... Apple, Avril, and Hollywood are doing just fine despite Aquisition, and so is Madonna, the one that bitches the most about people stealing her precious work. What is she worth now... a billion $$$???
Nice attitude. Let's steal from everyone. Heck, you don't need your money either...you're worth what? A few tens of thousands? You don't need it...I'll go rob you right away.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 12:23 AM

So after all of this time, what do you guys still think of acquisition? It seems to get more and more solid all the time! Has anyone here actually registered it?

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by MikeD:
So after all of this time, what do you guys still think of acquisition? It seems to get more and more solid all the time! Has anyone here actually registered it?

Mike

Holy old thread Batman.

Never bothered to register it. It's a stupid idea to pay for a program meant for downloading pirated material. What's even funnier is the threat made by the program if you attempt to pirate the program itself with a red-flagged serial. The irony.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 01:39 AM

My only problem with Acquisition is that it rips up my virtual memory.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 08:45 AM

Mike
I still think it's a solid application - with innovative interface elements (drawer buttons, etc.). I registered mine way back in the .5x days and so it's still registered....
cpac

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 9, 2004, 11:41 AM

Mike
I have registered it. It is a quality app, and my use probably differs than most, but it was worth it for me. Then again, about every shareware I own is registered, so Acquisition wasn't an exception by any means.

Now I just hope he doesn't decide to up and start charging for NewsFire.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 01:19 PM

If you don't like Acquisition try XFactor. Free and damn good too.

http://www.mp3machine.com/software/Xfactor/
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

badtz
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 09:10 PM

does anyone know if .rar files show up in the search results for acquisition?

It doesn't on mine?

Venturer X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 08:23 AM

I just bought Acquisition 2.0 , Thinking " YA, I finally found a P2P Program that has a nice GUI"
Copied the App to my Apps Folder.
Registered it with a PURCHASED SERIAL, No Cracks or Fake Keygens
Launched
Connected to 3 Hosts.
Searched "Green Day"
Found one - Initiated Download
NOTHING - Downloads Section at the bottom shows nothing!

I PAYED 35 Dollars For this piece of . I mean what a ripoff. Acquisition.
BACK To Limewire!

Venturer X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
If you don't like Acquisition try XFactor. Free and damn good too.

XFactor 0.273 [MP3Machine]
BTW, The Link is broken.

But googling is just as Good

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 08:29 AM

Yeah I stopped using Acquisition and the other P2P Limewire copies of the like long ago. When I kept getting better results from limewire I just stayed with it.

And I HAD using dodgy JAVA apps that resemble the OS a bit. Acquisition IS well designed. It just doesn't work as well as the original Limewire client.

I had the same problem with Xfactor. And Poisoned, the one they all copied from hadn't been updated since 2006

The Poisoned Project - News

I miss the Napster, Audio Galaxy days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules