Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Roxio Toast 5.2 Update Available Now...

Roxio Toast 5.2 Update Available Now...
Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2002, 02:09 PM

Maybe I'm the only one checking the Roxio website every five minutes. They said 10/02/02. I thought it would be like buying GNR's Use Your Illusion at midnight.

But, whatever, for anyone who cares, it's out there now...
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2002, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Storyboy:
Maybe I'm the only one checking the Roxio website every five minutes. They said 10/02/02. I thought it would be like buying GNR's Use Your Illusion at midnight.

But, whatever, for anyone who cares, it's out there now...
I'll have to give this a try....I hope my Aiwa CD/CD-RW Player will show that CD-TEXT stuff, that would rock and even more so, I hope my PowerBook G4 burner can do all the new features in this update.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 02:43 PM

Yeah umm, this thing still crashes immediatley.

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2002, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
Yeah umm, this thing still crashes immediatley.
Yeah, umm, did you pirate it?

If not, here's Roxio's Tips for Working with Toast Updates.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by hyperizer:

Yeah, umm, did you pirate it?

If not, here's Roxio's Tips for Working with Toast Updates.
Yeah umm no jerk.

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2002, 03:22 PM

Yeah umm no jerk.
So you don't appreciate my linking to the tips for you? I only mentioned the pirating issue since some people on VersionTracker mentioned that pirated serial numbers are causing the app. not to launch.

swatson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2002, 05:01 PM

mine is crashing too here are the updates from the site:

Tips for Working with Toast updates

Before installing/running the update:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of Stuffit Expander installed on your system. Older versions of Stuffit are not always capable of expanding files that were compressed with a newer version.

2. Unmount any volumes that you have mounted besides the volume that actually contains Toast. This includes additional internal hard drives, external hard drives, CD/DVDs, and Network volumes. (OS X only)

3. Run the repair privileges utility from Apple. Mac OS 10.2 and higher contains this in the Disk Utility that comes with the OS. Prior to 10.2 (10.1.5 and lower) you must download this utility from Apple. (OS X only)

4. Go to the /Library/Application Support folder and remove the Roxio folder (Hint: use the "Go to Folder" command from the Go menu in the Finder; OS X only)

5. Go to the ~/Library/Preferences folder (tip: "~" means your home folder) and delete a file named com.roxio.Toast.plist (the Toast preferences file).

forkies
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 05:29 PM

Does anyone see any differences between the previous 5.2 updater and the "new" one?

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2002, 05:44 PM

Yep, mine crashes too...what's going on?

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2002, 05:51 PM

Open the 5.2 package contents and remove the Roxio.dat file...then launch the app and re-enter registration info.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2002, 06:06 PM

You mean Rox.dat?

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2002, 06:19 PM

yup, that's the one.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2002, 06:20 PM

Deleted.
Still crashes.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2002, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by jules:
Open the 5.2 package contents and remove the Roxio.dat file...then launch the app and re-enter registration info.
You receive my "Gold Star" for the day award....thanks alot for the tip, worked flawlessly!

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2002, 06:44 PM

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2002, 07:07 PM

For all of you who complain about crashes, that's because you got an illegal key. You can deserialize Toast by deleting the rox.dat file in the application package

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by BigMac2:
For all of you who complain about crashes, that's because you got an illegal key. You can deserialize Toast by deleting the rox.dat file in the application package
I have a legal copy, I went to a store and BOUGHT it for gods sake, but it still crashes, im going to call tech support.

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2002, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Alex00087:

I have a legal copy, I went to a store and BOUGHT it for gods sake, but it still crashes, im going to call tech support.
Have you try to delete the rox.dat in the App package?

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2002, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by BigMac2:

Have you try to delete the rox.dat in the App package?
Yea I have, and it asks me to re-enter my serial # and stuff, and after I enter it, it just quits. I will see what Roxio tech support has to say about it...

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2002, 09:16 PM

How did such a huge bug make it past testing?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 3, 2002, 04:04 AM

I have a legit version of Toast, it wont launch on my computer either.

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2002, 10:23 AM

My upgrade from 5.1.3 went smoothly (following Roxio's instructions).
( Last edited by hyperizer; Oct 9, 2002 at 10:14 AM. )

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2002, 11:11 AM

The crashing is definitely caused by a bad serial number. If deleting the rox.dat file and re-entering your serial number still crashes the app, then for some reason, Roxio must think that your serial number is pirated. You will probably need to contact them and verify that you own the product and they will probably send you another number.

More than likely, someone stole your SN, or someone used a SN generator and by random chance got your SN. It seems like Roxio trolls the web/irc/hotline/etc looking for SNs and adds them to some internal list to invalidate them in any new version.
--Laurence

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2002, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by jules:
This works with my LEGIT copy of Toast. The people who suggest that it's because of pirated serial #s being used are just speculating.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 3, 2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Laurence:
The crashing is definitely caused by a bad serial number. If deleting the rox.dat file and re-entering your serial number still crashes the app, then for some reason, Roxio must think that your serial number is pirated. You will probably need to contact them and verify that you own the product and they will probably send you another number.

More than likely, someone stole your SN, or someone used a SN generator and by random chance got your SN. It seems like Roxio trolls the web/irc/hotline/etc looking for SNs and adds them to some internal list to invalidate them in any new version.
I am doubting that it's the serial #. I am running into allot of people with legit numbers having the same problem.

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2002, 01:33 PM

This works with my LEGIT copy of Toast. The people who suggest that it's because of pirated serial #s being used are just speculating.
Well, I think it's safe to say that if deleting the .dat file doesn't work, you should call Roxio for help.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 3, 2002, 01:35 PM

Ok I deleted the .dat file, re-entered the SAME serial that I was given and it worked. Why would it not take the serial befor, but now it does?

That simply just doesn't make sense.

tinroots
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2002, 01:40 AM

ok ok, it's late, ive been up for three days, and i openly admit i am no techie... although i try endlessly to problemsolve all my problems ---
but where is the rox.dat file in the app package? the installer package? please

VRL
Senior User
Oct 4, 2002, 06:08 AM

With all the bad reviews, I hesitated installing Toast. Finally, I broke down, popped in the Titanium CD, installed in Classic, then immediately (after restarting Classic) ran the updater for 5.2. When starting the app, I had to enter the CD Key. .. I have had zero problems. In fact, I've been quite impressed with Toast.

Has anyone tried to remove Toast completely, then reinstall from scratch??
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 07:20 AM

With all that has been posted here, I�m still hesitating. After all, my (legit) copy of Toast Titanium 5.1.4 runs smooth and doesn�t crash at all (under Mac OS X 10.2.1).
Are there any truly good reasons to update to 5.2 besides instability issues? I mean, is there any difference in performance? Because if I don�t have instability issues, there�s no reason for me to update, is there?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

tinroots
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2002, 10:38 AM

toast 5.1.4 ... on 10.2 + 10.2.1 has had irregular problems, and regularly doesnt copy audio correctly - it hangs on teh last track and never finishes writing - making the cd stank + annoying hanging up of my system
has this been fixed with 5.2 does anyone know?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by tinroots:
toast 5.1.4 ... on 10.2 + 10.2.1 has had irregular problems, and regularly doesnt copy audio correctly - it hangs on teh last track and never finishes writing - making the cd stank + annoying hanging up of my system
has this been fixed with 5.2 does anyone know?
Ummm... that's weird, never had that with 5.1.4 on 10.2(.1)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

Storyboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2002, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
With all that has been posted here, I�m still hesitating. After all, my (legit) copy of Toast Titanium 5.1.4 runs smooth and doesn�t crash at all (under Mac OS X 10.2.1).
Are there any truly good reasons to update to 5.2 besides instability issues? I mean, is there any difference in performance? Because if I don�t have instability issues, there�s no reason for me to update, is there?
Well, I've yet to have any issues with 5.2, but in 5.1.3/5.1.4 I was unable to perform a disc-at-once burn; dropping a CD icon on the active Toast window achieved nothing. Now with 5.2 that little exercise seems to work.

Strangely, som e using 1.3/1.4 did not encounter this problem. There are some extras built in to 5.2, but if the others are working for you, it could be that the upgrade is not necessary.
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Storyboy:

Well, I've yet to have any issues with 5.2, but in 5.1.3/5.1.4 I was unable to perform a disc-at-once burn; dropping a CD icon on the active Toast window achieved nothing. Now with 5.2 that little exercise seems to work.

Strangely, som e using 1.3/1.4 did not encounter this problem. There are some extras built in to 5.2, but if the others are working for you, it could be that the upgrade is not necessary.
that's what I thought, thanks a lot. Due to the fact that I need my computer and I don't have any time left for any experiments, I decided not to touch my running system ever again

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by tinroots:
ok ok, it's late, ive been up for three days, and i openly admit i am no techie... although i try endlessly to problemsolve all my problems ---
but where is the rox.dat file in the app package? the installer package? please
I don't know if anyone answered this for you. Control-click on the Toast icon (the app, not the updater), select 'Show Package Contents', open the 'Contents' folder, open the 'MacOS' folder, and delete Rox.dat file.

Forum Links
Forum Rules