Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > US way behind regarding broadband speeds

US way behind regarding broadband speeds (Page 2)
Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 06:48 AM

Free w/ phone

Rumor  (op)
Jun 27, 2007, 03:43 PM

This is at work. I tested it a couple of times and was told different suggested test servers each time. Funny thing is, I'm less than 200 miles from SF.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by USB HUB View Post
Just as FYI .. for those of you who have DSL with a land line. I'm pretty sure you can have the land line disconnected but keep the DSL. At VZ, you can do that. I've been checking into it also as we don't use our line that much. You can also see if you can have your land line set up to only allow for 911 callout (some companies have that option). But that may not get rid of the fees (which unfortunately are crap but regulated). Just a thought....
Possibly. Supposedly because of the AT&T/SBC merger AT&T has to unbundle phone service. That was last year. It's not middle 2007 and they still haven't done it (at least, not in California.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Railroader
Banned
Jun 27, 2007, 05:30 PM

Free. Supplied with the house.

I have almost no issues with the speed. My only one is that the upload is too slow when I am updating my smugmug account. Download speed is more than adequate.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2007, 04:05 AM

my upload - donwload speed ratio doesn't make any sense, huh?

MacPino
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 06:21 AM

€35,- / $47,-
proud daddy!

jebjeb
Senior User
Jun 28, 2007, 06:38 AM

This is over 3G mobile with T-mobile in the UK for £10/month on top of my normal monthly fee. That is "Unlimited" which means it can be tethered to a laptop and a rough max down load of 2GB per month.

This is on a Nokia 6280 so it is not HSDPA. I am looking to pick up a HSDPA handset and then I should be looking at around 1.4 mb down for the same price.

Just changed fixed line broadband suppliers. Should be installed in a couple of weeks. 16mb down for £10 month "unlimited" (through Sky as I have their TV package already).

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 28, 2007, 06:51 AM

The US has tons more land to cover than these smaller places that have been named.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post

$34 a month.

I seem to recall getting better results (like twice that, for some reason) when I actually plug into the router rather than running it over Airport.
I love the dashboard interface on that site. I'm at 4507 up, 538 down. You're right about running direct to the router. I'm through airport as well.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 07:22 AM

Part of the issue is when the Broadband company runs the ROI on their infrastructure, they make the decision based on potential penetration in the market. Many companies are still running @ 750Mhz and because of their digital video options/DVR, digital phone, etc... they need to upgrade (mod swap) to at least 850Mhz, 1gig, and eventually 2gig spectrums.

The broadband company here (of which I'm an employee, not a salesman ) offers 3 tiers of service with its top tier providing up to 15Mbps down, 2 Mbps up. You can "bundle" your internet with your phone and Video and generally save a considerable amount of money. The cost of the upgrade in infrastructure to the broadband company is high and our upgrade schedule is aggressive, but this is a very hungry market for bandwidth. Commercial customers have another tier of service entirely with primary differences being in enhanced upload speeds. Also, when considering "powerboosts" allocating HFC resources to large-file downloads, you can experience even greater speeds, but again-most plants are not upgraded appropriately to handle all the services prevalent on upstream bandwidth today. If market conditions showed a strong demand for higher speeds, the communications firm would be compelled to upgrade their infrastructure.

As some have mentioned though, costs can be prohibitive for many. I've gone back and forth between the middle and top tiers and honestly, while the speeds are in fact faster with the top tier; little difference is witnessed because of limiting factors of servers, sites, etc... that cannot be helped by faster connections on your end. That said, if I didn't enjoy such an immense discount on my services, I'd likely have the lowest tier of service.

My speeds are 4507kb/s down, 538kb/s up and I'm on the middle tier.
ebuddy

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 07:33 AM

not too shabby from work. upload is speed is being capped by the testing site in chicago. they numbers would be the same.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2007, 07:42 AM

I thought my last results were a little low:

ice

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2007, 07:40 AM

16MBit/1Mbit down/up
incl. telephone flat for €49

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post

16MBit/1Mbit down/up
incl. telephone flat for €49
Same contract:

(Though IIRC they bumped me down to 10 or 12 Mbit, as my line was unstable at 16.)

nerd
Senior User
Jun 30, 2007, 02:21 PM

This is the Comcast 8mb/768 but they have the speed boost which will increase speeds for a certain amount of time. I can upload at 300KB/s until I hit around the 12MB mark then it slows to 96KB/s. Price is around $68 a month after taxes.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2007, 03:02 PM

So where's the people with these really really fast lines? I guess there's not a lot of South Koreans posting here. : \
ice

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2007, 05:32 PM

Prague, Czech Republic for about $85/mo

Advertised as 12mb DN, 2mb UP and pretty close to it.

Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2007, 08:31 PM

3MB Thru charter 19.99 a month for 3 months then 54.99 a month after.. Craptastic but its all we have here

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2007, 08:51 PM

This is pay-through-the-nose Time Warner Cable, $140/mo. for 1000+ channels and the internets, delivered by former Miss Universe contestants, nude, via a limo.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2007, 05:05 AM

This is using the ADSL subscription I mentioned earlier from Free in France. 30 Euros a month including unlimited international and local calls plus TV.

Via wi-fi:

Ethernet:

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2007, 12:02 PM

~$40/mo

Cipher13
Jul 3, 2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by USB HUB View Post
Just as FYI .. for those of you who have DSL with a land line. I'm pretty sure you can have the land line disconnected but keep the DSL. At VZ, you can do that. I've been checking into it also as we don't use our line that much. You can also see if you can have your land line set up to only allow for 911 callout (some companies have that option). But that may not get rid of the fees (which unfortunately are crap but regulated). Just a thought....
WIth regard to infrastructure, it is not possible to have an ADSL connection without an active phone line. Whether your telco *chooses* to charge you line rental or not is their prerogative, however.

Their wholesaler will charge them for it, though.

At least, that's the way it is in Australia.

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 4, 2007, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I hate cable because you can't have more than 2 people playing a low-latency game at once (ping times get horrible) and I hate DSL because they force you to buy a voice plan to get the data plan, even though it doesn't need the voice plan.

Since I play games quite often, I'm forced to buy DSL and a phone line that does nothing but get FAX machines all day because the number used to be a computer repair business.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH oh man. You just made me laugh out loud, a lot. That sounds like one of my personal version of hell. AHhaHAhaHAH. Moving into a place with a phone number that used to be... a ****ing computer business, and all the fake calls aren't even people you can tell to **** off, it's ****ing FAXES!

AHHAhahAHAH god that must suck! I feel sorry for you, but at the same time, I find that extremely hilarious.

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 4, 2007, 04:03 AM

$15 a month. Good enough for me. I have a server at night for downloads, and it plays games fine..... don't really need anything faster, and at this price, who can argue?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 05:15 AM

I averaged the Speedtest results out for all y'all. There are 20 entries from North America, 7 from Europe and 5 from Eurasia.

Asia
Download: 12,412 kb/s
Download: 1,404 kb/s

Europe
Download: 10,092 kb/s
Upload: 846 kb/s

N. America
Download: 5,728 kb/s
Upload: 551 kb/s
( Last edited by Troll; Jul 5, 2007 at 12:14 PM. )

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 5, 2007, 11:11 AM

How come on that speed test site that everybody just used it shows Northa America as being ahead?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by KisforKennedy View Post
How come on that speed test site that everybody just used it shows Northa America as being ahead?
It doesn't. The bigger the number, the better. It's not a very scientific study that we've conducted but our results show US connections being quite significantly slower than European and Asian connections. That said, both the fastest and the slowest connections in this pool are in the US.

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 5, 2007, 12:24 PM

Oh, I was looking at continents.

forkies
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Troll View Post
Asia
wow my speeds got ****ed by averaging them

That said, both the fastest and the slowest connections in this pool are in the US.
how do ya figure? us seems slow as ass

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by KisforKennedy View Post
Oh, I was looking at continents.
Sorry, I meant continents. N. America is the slowest of the three ... although, as I said, this is not very scientific.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by forkies View Post
Somewhere back there, there was one very fast speed and it came from the US.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 6, 2007, 04:36 AM

The deal really is, you can only get as fast as the person you are downloading from. No matter where it be. I've never not had enough bandwidth to cover everything I was downloading at once. After that, it's just over-kill. I even stepped down a "tier" because I had bandwidth I was paying for, and simply not using.

forkies
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2007, 04:25 AM

it's cuz almost everyone's been posting kb/s, not kB/s

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 10, 2007, 07:00 AM

What is? Who were you replying to?

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 04:47 PM

Comcast
( Last edited by SVass; Jul 10, 2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added comcastic)

Rumor  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 08:55 PM

A 75 year old lady has a faster connection than any of us for her first computer.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2007, 05:27 PM

I pay half of $56 I think... We're still on a special deal, so $15 at the moment for the next few months.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2007, 08:03 PM

dav
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2007, 08:07 PM

cable ~$40/mo.
one post closer to five stars

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 16, 2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
A 75 year old lady has a faster connection than any of us for her first computer.
Wow that's some crazy fast internet connection. A high def DVD only takes two seconds to download! I wish I had it. It's kind of wasted on a 75 year old lady who just got her first computer but apparently she has a famous son.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2007, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Wow that's some crazy fast internet connection. A high def DVD only takes two seconds to download!
Only if the place you're downloading it from also has a 40 gigabit connection.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 16, 2007, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Hey don't crush my dreams like that.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 16, 2007, 03:41 AM

Is there some kind of special crazy hard disc that can write data at 40 Gb/s? And which computer has she got that can move data across the mobo at that speed? What I/O ports and bus is she using? I can't imagine the practical speed being anything close to 40Gb/s.

Rumor  (op)
Jul 16, 2007, 03:46 AM

The computer she has probably can't move data that fast. However, as connections become faster, then hardware will follow.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2007, 04:57 AM

Here's an interesting thing:

10 mbps leased line, UK: $132,000 per year.
155mbps leased line, US: $30,000 per year.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 16, 2007, 05:01 AM

(UK)

using Virgin Media's 2 for £20 (TV and 2mb broadband (i think its 2mb))

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost View Post
Is there some kind of special crazy hard disc that can write data at 40 Gb/s? And which computer has she got that can move data across the mobo at that speed? What I/O ports and bus is she using? I can't imagine the practical speed being anything close to 40Gb/s.
Yeah, not to mention that Gigabit Ethernet (or maybe 10 Gigabit Ethernet) is the fastest way she's going to be able to get data to go into her computer in the first place.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 16, 2007, 11:47 AM

I averaged the Speedtest results out for all y'all. There are 20 entries from North America, 7 from Europe and 5 from Eurasia.

Asia

Europe
Download: 10,092 kb/s
Upload: 846 kb/s

N. America
Download: 5,728 kb/s
Upload: 551 kb/s
It doesn't. The bigger the number, the better. It's not a very scientific study that we've conducted but our results show US connections being quite significantly slower than European and Asian connections. That said, both the fastest and the slowest connections in this pool are in the US.
Originally Posted by forkies View Post
wow my speeds got ****ed by averaging them

Sorry, I meant continents. N. America is the slowest of the three ... although, as I said, this is not very scientific.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 17, 2007, 01:03 AM

Yeah, not to mention that Gigabit Ethernet (or maybe 10 Gigabit Ethernet) is the fastest way she's going to be able to get data to go into her computer in the first place.
Even if she could get a 10Gbit Ethernet socket he motherboard's bus and hard disc can't get close to being able to write data that fast. SATA hard drives don't come close enough.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2007, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost View Post
Even if she could get a 10Gbit Ethernet socket he motherboard's bus and hard disc can't get close to being able to write data that fast. SATA hard drives don't come close enough.
Uh, yeah, I kind of understand that. I was just pointing out yet another bottleneck keeping her from getting the 40 Mbps speed that this article is claiming she has.

Forum Links
Forum Rules