Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Evidence of homosexuality being genetic mounts

Evidence of homosexuality being genetic mounts
qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2005, 11:17 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4215427.stm

"Multiple genes - and not just the sex chromosomes - are important in sexual orientation, say US scientists"

Of course environmental influences play a part but it makes you wonder how much of it is chosen for you...

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

forkies
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 11:22 PM

i know it's a genetic part of me, but i wish it weren't... if genes are found it will just give people a way to eradicate differences in sexuality

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2005, 11:35 PM

Homosexuality is all over nature... I wonder why people find it so fascinating in humans.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 11:40 PM

I predict....

#1) Derailment
#2) Moved out of lounge
#3) Lock

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 30, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
I predict....

#1) Derailment

Good job. You're the first to try.

BOT: Who cares if it's genetic or not. It really doesn't change anything.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Good job. You're the first to try.
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

insha
Senior User
Jan 31, 2005, 12:34 AM

I'm curious of the repercussions/consequences.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
t really doesn't change anything.
Enlighten us.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Enlighten us.
I don't think it changes anything from an ethical standpoint. That is, a sexual orientation by itself is neither right nor wrong, because a person's sexual orientation alone doesn't actually harm anyone, idiots who think God cares notwithstanding. That ethical neutrality doesn't depend on how much orientation is influenced by genetics, culture, or both.

On the other hand, individuals' and societies' reactions to homosexuality may change if it's conclusively shown to be primarily genetic. A few people may become more tolerant because they no longer see it as a deliberate choice that immorally goes against nature (not that they should've thought this anyway, had they learned about the Naturalistic Fallacy in high school). Others may feel more justified in treating homosexuality as a disease that needs to be cured, possibly resulting in a big upsurge in the "ex-gay ministries" industry.

In general, though, I think most people's opinions about orientation are pretty much emotionally derived from both their upbringing and their general character. So they'll probably keep their opinions and interpret the "in-the-genes assertion" to fit those.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 01:28 AM

Good post.

york28
Senior User
Jan 31, 2005, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by slugslugslug:
I don't think it changes anything from an ethical standpoint. That is, a sexual orientation by itself is neither right nor wrong, because a person's sexual orientation alone doesn't actually harm anyone, idiots who think God cares notwithstanding. That ethical neutrality doesn't depend on how much orientation is influenced by genetics, culture, or both.

On the other hand, individuals' and societies' reactions to homosexuality may change if it's conclusively shown to be primarily genetic. A few people may become more tolerant because they no longer see it as a deliberate choice that immorally goes against nature (not that they should've thought this anyway, had they learned about the Naturalistic Fallacy in high school). Others may feel more justified in treating homosexuality as a disease that needs to be cured, possibly resulting in a big upsurge in the "ex-gay ministries" industry.

In general, though, I think most people's opinions about orientation are pretty much emotionally derived from both their upbringing and their general character. So they'll probably keep their opinions and interpret the "in-the-genes assertion" to fit those.
Well put. I agree 100%.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 31, 2005, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by slugslugslug:
And beliefs. Other than that, this sums it up nicely.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2005, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by qnxde:
For Pete's sake, this has been discussed a billion times. Spare us.

-t

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 11:52 AM

The next natural question is, of course, genetic testing:

Ma'am, our screening finds that your fetus has no elevated risk for Tay Sach's disease; he has a 65% chance of being homosexual. What would you like to do?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
For Pete's sake, this has been discussed a billion times. Spare us.

-t
Couldn't help but post in the thread you should be ignoring?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2005, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
The next natural question is, of course, genetic testing:

Ma'am, our screening finds that your fetus has no elevated risk for Tay Sach's disease; he has a 65% chance of being homosexual. What would you like to do?
Yes, and that lies within the wider context of designer babies, which is a whole other ethical question which needs attention.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by macintologist:
Couldn't help but post in the thread you should be ignoring?
You can't prove it

-t

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2005, 02:50 PM

Genetic or a combination of genetics/environment? It doesn't matter to me. Homosexuals are people who should get treated as such. If you don't approve of homosexuality this is not going to change your mind. And if this does change your mind then you are intellectually suspect, IMHO, if your opinion of a person's sexuality changes based on how "scientific" the rational for said sexuality is.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:
Genetic or a combination of genetics/environment? It doesn't matter to me. Homosexuals are people who should get treated as such. If you don't approve of homosexuality this is not going to change your mind. And if this does change your mind then you are intellectually suspect, IMHO, if your opinion of a person's sexuality changes based on how "scientific" the rational for said sexuality is.
So if it's proven to not be a choice (as in not controllable, in-born, etc.), it's still A-OK for people to sh*t on them because they don't like it?

Interesting...

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2005, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
So if it's proven to not be a choice (as in not controllable, in-born, etc.), it's still A-OK for people to sh*t on them because they don't like it?

Interesting...

Umm, where did I say that? Let me explain it for you step by step.
Genetic or a combination of genetics/environment? It doesn't matter to me. Homosexuals are people who should get treated as such.
I don't care whether or not it is genetic or choice, it is not going to change how I treat, or think about, homosexual people. I think of them just as people, you know, individual persons like you and me. So, that's how they get treated. If your gay and want to get married, fine by me. If you want to adopt children, fine by me. You want to file taxes jointly, fine by me. The status of homosexuals as individual people is more important to me than their status as part of a collective group.

So, where in my post did I say, or even imply, that I thought is was "A-OK for people to sh*t on them because they don't like it"?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 08:00 PM

Umm, where did I say that? Let me explain it for you step by step.
Genetic or a combination of genetics/environment? It doesn't matter to me. Homosexuals are people who should get treated as such.
I don't care whether or not it is genetic or choice, it is not going to change how I treat, or think about, homosexual people. I think of them just as people, you know, individual persons like you and me. So, that's how they get treated. If your gay and want to get married, fine by me. If you want to adopt children, fine by me. You want to file taxes jointly, fine by me. The status of homosexuals as individual people is more important to me than their status as part of a collective group.

So, where in my post did I say, or even imply, that I thought is was "A-OK for people to sh*t on them because they don't like it"?

[/B]
I couldn't tell what "as such" was referring to--homosexuals or people. But it still seems to me as if your original post is implying that people that think that homosexuality is evil/wrong/a choice *shouldn't* change their mind (or if they do, they're feeble-minded) just because science is proving that it's a genetic trait. I'm not sure I agree with you on that.

qnxde  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2005, 07:59 PM

I wasn't actually trolling I thought someone might be genuinely interested in some hard evidence that it's genetic.

Every time the conversation is brought up, the usual suspects go on with "show me one bit of concrete evidence that it's genetic, nothing conclusive has been found which means it must be a choice" and then even if any is shown, it always ends up like this:

tort: Yes but it's 100% natural, they've observed animals doing it in the lab and in nature, and it doesn't hurt anyone therefore how could it be morally bad?
retort: I've observed my dog eating it's own feces in the back yard last week and that's natural too but does it means humans should stoop to the level of animals

And then somebody posts a photoshopping or invokes godwin's law and the whole thing just goes down the drain...

This is why I love MacNN

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2005, 08:16 PM

So, it turns out Dr. Laura was right after all. It was so nice for the gay community to bash her back then.

Think she'll get an apology?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
So, it turns out Dr. Laura was right after all. It was so nice for the gay community to bash her back then.

Calling homosexuality a "biological error" that is "deviant" and can be "cured" through "therapy" and likening it to pedophelia, bestiality and incest is not the same thing as saying it has a genetic basis (e.g., it's a natural trait).
( Last edited by maxintosh; Feb 2, 2005 at 12:34 AM. )

simonjames
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 02:25 AM

in today's Sydney Morning Herald (sorry, no link as the paper requires registration) there was a tongue in cheek headline:-

Gay scientists find christian gene

no that would be funny
this sig intentionally left blank

Forum Links
Forum Rules