Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > japanese teacher deals out unholy punishment on students

japanese teacher deals out unholy punishment on students
forkies
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2007, 12:24 AM

Teacher in hot water for rating students who came to school late

holy shizat, i knew in japan being 10 min early is like being 20 min late, but the "five levels" this teacher made are hilarious.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2007, 01:19 AM

I didn't realize the japanese believe in hell.

Tiresias
Mar 2, 2007, 01:26 AM

It's a hyperbole. I don't see what the big deal is.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2007, 01:29 AM

I'm no prude, but I doubt I'd appreciate a teacher telling labeling my kid in such a manner, particularly for something as mundane as being late.

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2007, 01:33 AM

people being consistetly late is annoying as ****. I'm a student and it bothers the crap outta me. kids got no respect.

Tiresias
Mar 2, 2007, 01:37 AM

But who could possibly take it seriously?! It's obviously just a flippant way of ribbing the least punctual students.

I'd rather be promised hell by a teacher than flogged senseless by one.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2007, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
But who could possibly take it seriously?! It's obviously just a flippant way of ribbing the least punctual students.
This is true. I dunno, I guess I'd have to be there. If the kids take no offense then its fine.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Mar 2, 2007, 02:39 AM

The students were probably getting a good laugh out of that.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2007, 05:33 AM

looks like the teacher didn't get in trouble, so no big deal. he did nothing wrong... move along.

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 2, 2007, 12:50 PM

I had a physics teacher in college who would lock the door after he started lecture. The late students would crash into the doors expecting them to open. I think he got a chuckle out of it.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
I had a physics teacher in college who would lock the door after he started lecture. The late students would crash into the doors expecting them to open. I think he got a chuckle out of it.
You'd figure after witnessing it once you'd never see it occur again.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2007, 12:57 PM

My fluid flow teacher won't accept homework from anyone 5 minutes after class has started, and there is homework due every day.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2007, 09:20 PM

Thats not so bad. Lets see... what can I remember from college.

A kid was once crushed to death by the school gate because he tried to get past it while it was closing and he was late. Every year a couple of kids die because of teacher abuse. I see teachers openly smack kids in class, and say things to them which would get any teacher in the US fired.

The again, teachers at many schools (this is a problem about the system, not just the teachers, as the teachers are more or less forced to enforce these rules or lose their jobs) spend all their time enforcing really randomly dumb rules. Like no makeup, kids eating food on the way to or from school, not sitting properly, wearing jewelry, ect ect ect. All this while bullying is entirely ignored by the system, taking a stance of moving the bullied student to another school while not addressing the bully himself. Theres a school in town that has nothing but students who had to move to another school to escape bullying.

Japan Today - Kuchikomi - The growing idiocy of teachers

A year and a half in this system changed your views on the old argument that "Japanese students score better than US students" argument (no one seems to note that Japanese kids attend "cram school" at night, every night, thus they do an additional 3 or 4 hours of school a day.). I would never ever want to send my children (if I had any) to a Japanese school, and I feel really bad for students coming back from being abroad, they always look depressed in class (let alone the group social issues they have, as everyone else has a negative attitude about them being abroad.). Anyhow, heres the wikipedia article about secondary Japanese education.

Secondary education in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum Links
Forum Rules