Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Front Row

Front Row
iCol
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 03:20 PM

So, this new Front Row software for the new iMac looks mighty nice... but I want it for my existing iMac G5... What's the bet this is never going to happen?
F is for Fooyork.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 03:30 PM

Not. Going. To. Happen.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 03:31 PM

I have same question. Bought two new Macs this year. Not going to dump them to buy a new iMac just for Front Row. But I would like to buy it seperately, (maybe, I need more info,) for at least my iMac, and maybe for my PM.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 03:43 PM

Front Row uses a remote, the receiver to which is built into the iMac, no?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2005, 03:48 PM

Maybe the remote is Bluetooth based?

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 03:49 PM

Not sure. I looked at the new iPods and there is one with the same remove and the iPod is in a cradle with what looks like a IR reciever dot on the front.

Anyone else think that maybe this Front Row is a step towards a Mac Media Center? I have seen that you can run a MythTV client on the Mini. Add a remote to that, and a Lacie mini firewire drive, and you have a nice little Mac Media Center, no?

J.
Converted 4/29/05

forkies
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 03:52 PM

i'm the third person in this thread to state something then end it with a tag question, no?

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Not. Going. To. Happen.
A better guess is that it will not happen until the next iMac revision. For the time being, it's "New iMac only". After some time, we will most likely see it for every Mac…

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by jhogarty
Not sure. I looked at the new iPods and there is one with the same remove and the iPod is in a cradle with what looks like a IR reciever dot on the front.

Anyone else think that maybe this Front Row is a step towards a Mac Media Center? I have seen that you can run a MythTV client on the Mini. Add a remote to that, and a Lacie mini firewire drive, and you have a nice little Mac Media Center, no?

J.
I believe that the remote has both bluetooth and IR capabilities. It is listed as a separate item on the Apple store. There's a paragraph for using it with the iPod (through the Universal Dock, which has an IR receiver) and a paragraph for using it with a Mac (presumably through BlueTooth). In reading the specs for the new iMac, Front Row is listed as an included software item, so let's hope it'll be available in a software/system update shortly...
( Last edited by cla214; Oct 12, 2005 at 04:37 PM. )

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 04:06 PM

cla214 - thanks for posting that info. Going to look at it. Don't know why I couldn't find it at the store earlier. And I agree, hope they offer it as a system update, but if not priced to much, I'd be willing to pay for it.

J.
Converted 4/29/05

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 12, 2005, 04:16 PM

For $30, there's no way it's Bluetooth -- the components cost too much.

It clearly has an infrared window at the end. Sneaking in an IR receiver into the iMac (oh, say, next to the ambient light sensor or integrated iSight) would be trivial, easier to set up, and much cheaper.

My bet is it's IR on the iMac.

No reason Apple couldn't release a USB IR receiver for older Macs to allow Front Row to work with them, too.

tooki

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by forkies
i'm the third person in this thread to state something then end it with a tag question, no?
Me, too, no ?

-t

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
For $30, there's no way it's Bluetooth -- the components cost too much.

It clearly has an infrared window at the end. Sneaking in an IR receiver into the iMac (oh, say, next to the ambient light sensor or integrated iSight) would be trivial, easier to set up, and much cheaper.

My bet is it's IR on the iMac.

No reason Apple couldn't release a USB IR receiver for older Macs to allow Front Row to work with them, too.

tooki
Good point, I thought the initial reports from the show were that steve had said it was bluetooth enabled. Are the components still that pricey? Bluetooth has made it's way into a surprising number of cell phones which aren't exactly high end.

C

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 04:47 PM

Bluetooth's response time is too slow for a real remote, its fine for a salling clicker remote for your phone, but for an actual remote its laggy.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by cla214
Bluetooth has made it's way into a surprising number of cell phones which aren't exactly high end
I don't know of any low-end phones with BT. Usually, it's mid- to high-end phones.

-t

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
I don't know of any low-end phones with BT. Usually, it's mid- to high-end phones.

-t
I didn't say low-end phones. I said 'not exactly high-end', implying middle of the road...

willed
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 06:16 PM

theregister.co.uk claims it's bluetooth. If it's fast enough for a keyboard and mouse it's definitely fast enough for a remote control!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by cla214
I didn't say low-end phones. I said 'not exactly high-end', implying middle of the road...
What's middle of the road ?

What middle of the road phones have BT ?
Nada. BT still is a high-end feature and, in itself, defines a high-end phone.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by willed
If it's fast enough for a keyboard and mouse it's definitely fast enough for a remote control!
Good point. I still don't trust the price tag. Seems to cheap for a BT remote...

-t

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 06:24 PM

Maybe the PBs and PMs are "delayed" because they are going to come with the front row software...
then again, why wouldn't they just wait and do it all at once..?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 06:50 PM

Front Row looks like it may have some promise down the line, but right now I can't imagine that it would be very useful. Why?

The reality is that everybody puts their computer on a desk, and when you are at a desk you won't want to operate your computer with a remote control. I can't really imagine any situation where I would be sitting down 10ft away from my desk looking at my iMac. So for now, Front Row seems like about as useless as Windows Media Center Edition.

In the future though it would be nice to see Front Row in a smaller headless computer that you could keep beside your TV. That would be better than its current implementation, but it would still have its faults because cable companies already offer good set top box systems.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 06:55 PM

I think it will cement the iMac into a reasonable niche, people who don't have a ton of room. I know tons of people who live in dorm rooms or studio apartments where having a TV, Computer, and DVD player is a little redundant. I don't think Front Row will double or triple iMac sales, but I think it's a worthwhile feature.

ImpulseResponse

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 07:00 PM

It's not a bad feature but it's basically gap-filler to keep the iMac sales from slipping between now and next summer

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Not. Going. To. Happen.
Why not? There could be a an external USB module for this or it can be Bluetooth...but more expensive for that. This is great on the iMac but on my PowerBook this would be a godsend for Keynote/video/PowerPoint presentations. I bet this will be announced in the next few Keynotes it looks so good.

I can look like Steve Jobs using one of these!!! I just need a black turtle neck
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 07:26 PM

I've got a PowerBook with a line out that would just love to have Front Row on the main screen and the media play on the TV.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
I've got a PowerBook with a line out that would just love to have Front Row on the main screen and the media play on the TV.
I am sure apple will see the need for PowerBook users. like I said this is an addition I would even pay for.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
It's not a bad feature but it's basically gap-filler to keep the iMac sales from slipping between now and next summer

Why? Normal consumers don't care about the type of chip under the hood. Theyc are about what a device can do. FrontRow is perfect for the college bound student. Along with the built in iSight to talk to the folks back home. These are tangible useful features that a student will see a benefit from, where as a switch to Intel doesn't magicially add features.

I also don't see it as a gap-killer either. Products change and evolve. Features get added. We all can see this in OS X over the past 4 versions. And same for the hardware. This was a feature Apple would have probably added no matter the evolution of the CPU.
<This space under renovation>

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 06:27 AM

Front Row is Apples answer to the "Media PC". Media PCs are such scams imo.... who wants a do-it-all gaming console now ?

If the remote is bluetooth based, Apple stands to make a very pretty penny. I'd gladly drop $79 for Front Row w/ Remote, sinec i can hook up my PowerBook to my TV/Projector, etc..

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 07:11 AM

Its not bluetooth, you can use it to control an iPod plugged into the universal dock. That would mean the dock has bluetooth which I doubt.

Its IR, the dock has an IR window at the front (unless that is the video out port).

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 08:00 AM

I'm looking forward to connecting it to one of these via RF, so I can control music from anywhere in the house.

Super Mario
Oct 13, 2005, 08:20 AM

It would be the best if VLC has the same interface as Front Row.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 10:44 AM

I wonder if the iSight is the IR receiver for the remote. No reason that couldn't work.

Which makes me think- why did Apple build this in? I bet they want these hung on the wall like a TV- hung on the wall- no room for an iSight hanging off the back.

Just a thought.

Super Mario
Oct 13, 2005, 10:47 AM

If the iSight can allow you to use hand gestures like Tom Cruise in Minority Report it would be the best os in the universe including the alien ones.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 12:25 PM

Even if it was IR only, you could solve that by offering a small usb-IR reciever dongle. If Apple does offer FrontRow as a stand alone app someday, that's probably the route they will go.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 04:03 PM

It IS infrared only. From the Apple Store:

"Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in Infrared (IR) receiver."

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500
I wonder if the iSight is the IR receiver for the remote. No reason that couldn't work..
Yes, there is: an IR remote, as viewed through a camera, appears only as a lit dot. It's not very bright compared to the ambient light.

IR remotes work by using a very specific IR wavelength, and having the IR sensor be sensitive only to that wavelength. A filter often aids in this.

Such a filter would filter out visible light.

My hunch is the sensor is the dot to the left of the integrated iSight (the dot to the right is the On Air light).

tooki

Kirth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 04:08 PM

For the iMac to be a real digital media hub Front Row would have to accept plugins.
Now imagine a TiVo plugin for Front Row and controlling your TiVo through that remote control.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 04:21 PM

This may be a bit convoluted, but would it be possible to buy a USB-based IR receiver and use Front Row/the remote if it were purchased?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 08:22 PM

Yes and no. A standard IrDA transceiver would not work -- IrDA is a specific protocol.

It'd have to be a receiver specifically for this purpose, and have drivers, much the way existing IR remotes for the Mac work.

Apple certainly could sell a $15 IR receiver for older Macs. I expect that FrontRow, as it exists now, requires a Mac with full CoreImage/CoreVideo support, though.

tooki

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 10:44 PM

I`ve been waiting for Apple to make some sort of move to a `Media Center` computer. Wouldn`t it be nice to have this feature on a Mac Mini? With video out (which is an option)? All your music, videos, and pictures on your TV. Plus if you could have an addon for TV in, or a thrid party option that worked with it, then we`d all be set.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 10:47 PM

I concur!

tooki

osxpinot
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 10:52 PM

osxpinot
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 10:53 PM

Remember when Steve was bashing Media Center?

Oh, and remember, "It's about the music, stupid"?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
It IS infrared only. From the Apple Store:

"Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in Infrared (IR) receiver."

tooki
That wording makes me think that it will at least make its way to other Macintosh models. A USB IR receiver would be pretty simple.

Or make a bluetooth remote, bundle Front Row and price it at $79.

Forum Links
Forum Rules