Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Merry Christmas, I Mean Happy Holidays... otherwise I loose my job...

Merry Christmas, I Mean Happy Holidays... otherwise I loose my job... (Page 2)
Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
YOU CAN'T BLOODY SUE ANYONE SIMPLY FOR BEING INSANELY SENSITIVE!
Oh yes you can.

The person doing the suing will probably not win, but they certainly can sue. And it will still cost the party being sued a lot of money. Even if they win. (I don't know how it is in Canada, but in the US, there is no provision for the loser paying the winner's court costs, which would go a LONG WAY towards weeding out frivolous law suits).

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 12:25 PM

OK the on going saga of how dumb it is to work at Best Buy (yah I've got a blog but whatever leave me alone I figure some of you will get a kick out of this.) We are no longer allowed to wish people a Merry Christmas! I imagine even if they say they're shopping for Christmas gifts. Apparently all the trees graphics all over the store specifically leave out red and green because Best Buy does not wish to look like it supports one Christmas holiday over another.
I think they should fire you for using loose when you meant 'lose'.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 12:26 PM

I just got a completely unexpected bonus last night and it means that there are more toys for us to buy for the family and guess what?

We will NOT be going to Best Buy.

After everything I've heard I may as well just go to Circuit City, which at least has the color RED in the store graphics.

Best Buy Blows™.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I just got a completely unexpected bonus last night and it means that there are more toys for us to buy for the family and guess what?

We will NOT be going to Best Buy.

After everything I've heard I may as well just go to Circuit City, which at least has the color RED in the store graphics.

Best Buy Blows™.

I hope you're not avoiding it because of Salty's story. Avoid it because it's a rip-off. Shop Amazon or elsewhere online.

http://www.dvdpricesearch.com is good for DVDs...
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 12:32 PM

Who cares?™

Circuit Sh*tty probably has the same policies as Beast Buy.

I say don't go to any "big box" electronics retailer. Support your local "Mom & Pop" electronics stores, or go to an Apple store.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Actually outside the English speaking world 'America' is usually the continent, not the country. So Canada would be included when one would say 'America'. Just like Asia, Africa etc. In my country the US is usually called los Estados Unidos (EE UU), not Amerika, but even so since the OP is from Canada it would only be logical to interpret 'America' - in this case - as the continent as opposed to the country in this case, no?
Don't over-generalize. In Spain, "America" might mean "North America" but in Greece, "America" usually means "United States" (And Greece is outside the "English-speaking world" is it not?)

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 12:36 PM

What if that person is a messianic Jew you insensitive clod! If only I was a Jewish Christian I could totally sue you! Oh wait... YOU CAN'T BLOODY SUE ANYONE SIMPLY FOR BEING INSANELY SENSITIVE!
Best Buy is simply trying to make all of their customers feel comfortable. You saying Merry Christmas to someone from another religion or someone that doesn't believe in Christmas may be interpreted as being insensitive, rude or whatever [and yes, they could sue... they may not win, but they could sue] Doesn't it make sense to simply shift to "Happy Holidays" considering you don't know the faith of those purchasing the items?

I wonder if I could get on the news for being fired by Best Buy for wishing someone a merry Christmas . Anyway seriously though the whole happy holidays is just another way that secular society is trying to force their way down the throats of people of various religious traditions. If we shove them all together into one unidentifiable blob that if you try and find out what it's about you'll offend someone, maybe everyone will just become secular humanists.
Get off your soap box for a second... Best Buy is simply trying to make a sale... they aren't "trying to force their way down the throats of people of various religious traditions." The fact that you can't see this indicates to me that you are a religious zealot

It was funny me and my mom and a safeway cashier were talking about this and the cashier was like "Well I've been saying Merry Christmas here for ten years and I'll say it for another ten!"
To which another customer said, "Oh but you have to be careful to not offend people!"
My mom in turn replied, "What? No I don't."

She beat me to the punch . I swear it annoys me that people assume for some reason that the noisy annoying people should really have that much control over your life.
Pure selfishness IMHO. Sure your MOTHER doesn't need to be careful... she isn't the one running the business. I guess if you don't believe in Jesus you are "noisy" and "annoying"...

What if your mother owned a store and one of the employees insisted in saying "Happy Hanukkah!!!" or "Eid al-Adha" (in a thick accent)...
( Last edited by production_coordinator; Dec 11, 2005 at 12:44 PM. )

Agent69
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 12:46 PM

Personally, I do prefer to say Happy Holidays just because this time of years encompasses more holidays then just Xmas. I think it is arrogant to push Merry Christmas down everyone's throat.
Agent69

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Agent69
Personally, I do prefer to say Happy Holidays just because this time of years encompasses more holidays then just Xmas. I think it is arrogant to push Merry Christmas down everyone's throat.
Or even more arrogant to expect people to change their customs just so you wont get "offended"

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 01:04 PM

Or even more arrogant to give a rats ass what someobody says enough to get upset about anything said with good intentions.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Or even more arrogant to give a rats ass what someobody says enough to get upset about anything said with good intentions.
Wow, I agree with Rob.

He hit it on the head of teh nail shaped thingy.

forkies
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 01:22 PM

And now, I have been told by my employer that the celebration of the incarnation of my God is offensive to people so I need to never mention it!
I wonder if I could get on the news for being fired by Best Buy for wishing someone a merry Christmas .

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by forkies
hahahhahahahhahaha

Christians are so ****ing funny sometimes.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 01:24 PM

Maybe some people would rather say happy holidays than merry xmas because they're not sure if the recipient of the gesture celebrates xmas or not and would rather err on the side of caution as a practical matter and don't see it as a politically correct manuever nor an arrogant presumption per se?

I dunno, just a hunch.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 01:25 PM

Christians are so ****ing funny sometimes.
So are atheists.

Who make up most of the religious threads in here.

That's kinda ironic.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 01:25 PM

I couldn't give a care, but if Best Buy wants to avoid the nuts that will make a big deal out of saying "Merry Christmas" I think they have the right to have their employees say "Happy Holidays"... I'll continue to say "Merry Christmas" to my christian friends and "Happy Holidays" to those where I don't know their religious affiliation.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
So are atheists.

Who make up most of the religious threads in here.

That's kinda ironic.
But I'm not an athiest.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 01:31 PM

But I'm not an athiest.
So you believe in a God?

Doesn't that require faith?

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 01:53 PM

So you believe in a God?

Doesn't that require faith?
I believe in something. I'm not going to personify it, because I don't know if it has feelings and actions and thoughts like a person would. I've experienced things in my life that are totally unexplainable, and 'supernatural' to an extent. Thus, I can't claim to be an athiest.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 02:08 PM

Best Buy is right for the wrong reasons and Salty is a ****ing idiot.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2005, 03:15 PM

What if that person is a messianic Jew you insensitive clod! If only I was a Jewish Christian I could totally sue you! Oh wait... YOU CAN'T BLOODY SUE ANYONE SIMPLY FOR BEING INSANELY SENSITIVE!

I wonder if I could get on the news for being fired by Best Buy for wishing someone a merry Christmas . Anyway seriously though the whole happy holidays is just another way that secular society is trying to force their way down the throats of people of various religious traditions. If we shove them all together into one unidentifiable blob that if you try and find out what it's about you'll offend someone, maybe everyone will just become secular humanists.
It was funny me and my mom and a safeway cashier were talking about this and the cashier was like "Well I've been saying Merry Christmas here for ten years and I'll say it for another ten!"
To which another customer said, "Oh but you have to be careful to not offend people!"
My mom in turn replied, "What? No I don't."
She beat me to the punch . I swear it annoys me that people assume for some reason that the noisy annoying people should really have that much control over your life.

The war against Christianity.... I pray that the little guy will be victorious!

To me, this whole argument rests with semantics and use of language. I don't see the point in getting riled up about something this insignificant. This is nothing new. I remember people wanting to change words like "man hole" to "person hole".

Language is imperfect, there are tons of words that don't make any sense in modern society but were steeped in their tradition of the day. I say that believers of the Separation of Church and State should save their arguments for when it really matters.

And yes, there IS a good case that the Church and State are becoming one in the US. In fact, Jimmy Carter has just put out a new book about this, and he's a Christian. I wish that some people wouldn't brainlessly back who they think they ought to be backing, there is REAL harm in marrying the Church and State - Thomas Jefferson knew this.

However, like I said, I don't think that this argument over semantics is worth our time.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Canada is in America last time I looked.

cheers

W-Y

To all that participated in this bickering: might I point out that our new forum rules state that bickering is now not allowed?

Since we all seem to be in the habit of pointing out the law of what is new or old material, what is a Rule 8 violation, what is content, etc. I thought I would try out this enforcing-the-rules-on-behalf-of-the-mods thing...

You wouldn't want somebody to report you guys for breaking the rules!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 03:26 PM

And now, I have been told by my employer that the celebration of the incarnation of my God is offensive to people so I need to never mention it!
Santa is your god?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2005, 03:35 PM

Salty:

I know you very badly want to make an argument that will support your case of advancing Christianity, or at least not take away from Christianity.

What you don't understand is that the angle that the people against the use of the word "Christmas" are taking is more of a legal one and interpretation of law/constitution. Your response seems to be in defending Christ, but I don't think you understand that your beliefs are more or less irrelevant here, as long as we are talking about civil liberties, and approaching this issue from this angle.

The strongest argument for your case, in my opinion, is that Merry Christmas has just become a part of American and Canadian tradition, and worrying about it is too PC, worrying about semantics, and is simply a silly issue to get worked up over.

The weakest arguments for your case include advocating/encouraging the marrying of Church and State, or playing the victim. Christianity is nowhere near being a victim as long as it is the majority religion in a country (US) that believes in the separation of Church and State.
( Last edited by besson3c; Dec 11, 2005 at 03:44 PM. )

Rolling Bones
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 03:50 PM

Salty...

Merry Christmas by the way.

I heard this on some commentary show the other day and it made a lot of sense.

Quote: "Don't expect your religious sustenance to come from your local mall or city hall. Expect it from your church, that is what they are there for."

-------
The world has change for me too since my childhood memories of all those colored lights and Merry Christmases and PRESENTS and the church choir. It was always a happy time for me but not anymore since my parents passed away.

I'm no longer a Christian since I became smart enough to deprogram myself but I have no problem with the religious aspects of it.

Let's face it, it's even more commercialized than ever before. For the big retailers "MONEY is their "CHRIST".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2005, 03:54 PM

I have a hard time believing that people are actually *offended* by the use of the words "Merry Christmas".

As you know, I'm a strong advocate of the separation of Church and State, but hearing Merry Christmas in the context of Santa, snowmen, Christmas trees, etc. doesn't offend me. To me, it's interchangeable with "happy holidays" and general well-wishing.

What WOULD offend me is if a bunch of Christian evangelists were wishing me a Merry Christmas in front of a display of Jesus on a crucifix, and/or other Jesus stuff. To me, this foisting of beliefs onto others is inappropriate.

However, in most cases, "merry Christmas" usually comes with the usual department store generic holiday crap.

I don't understand why Salty is upset about Best Buy asking him to say "happy holidays" though. From their vantage point, I can see how this might be better for business at this point of intensified conflict. I don't understand why the shift in language is a big deal to Salty, and I don't understand why him announcing that he is Christian to his boss is at all relevant.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
I have a hard time believing that people are actually *offended* by the use of the words "Merry Christmas".
Well believe it. I've seen it at work.

Told someone "Merry Christmas" and they snapped back at me "Don't you mean
Happy Holidays, as I am not a Christian" I then said "Um, ok, whatever" then he started going on about how religious zealots forcing their beliefs on him.
What WOULD offend me is if a bunch of Christian evangelists were wishing me a Merry Christmas in front of a display of Jesus on a crucifix, and/or other Jesus stuff. To me, this foisting of beliefs onto others is inappropriate.
Wow that is basically the same thing. And as I believe Rob said, anyone getting upset over someone wishing them well needs to seriously need to stop and think what is important.

If a bunch of Muslims wishes me well, no matter how much of their religion was
shown" in doing so, I would gladly wish them well back.

Some people are just LOOKING to be offended.

Thin skinned people, and insecure beliefs hold these actions.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 04:58 PM

Although I'm not all that "religious" any more, I do celebrate Christmas with my family. I also refer to the season as Christmas because that's what it's always been to me.

I can see why a business would want to be PC and refer to the season in a more all-encompassing term like "holidays". If I still worked in retail I would use the phrase "Happy Holidays" to guests because I'm still able to convey my seasonal greeting in a way that they can interpret for themselves.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 04:59 PM

I always find it so funny when people mix up Loose and Lose.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 05:00 PM

They use "Happy Holidays" hoping to bring more people in to buy stuff. They don't care about who it offends or does not offend.

Happy Holidays doesn't offend me.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
You've been caught with your own fair share of grammatical flaws.
But for some reason, you never think it's funny then.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 05:05 PM

Yep, hence my post "I think they should fire you for using loose when you meant 'lose'."

Or when people **** up 'accept' and 'except'. Or 'they're' and 'their' or 'your' and 'you're'. It's pretty sad actually. Athens takes the cake though, talking about 'ferris competition overseas'. Bhahah

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 05:06 PM

you never think it's funny than
Fixed?

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 05:12 PM

Hey I say marry Christmas. Someone doesn't like it to bad.

I get people saying Happy CHANUKAH to me and I could care less even though I am German.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 05:13 PM

blah blah

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 11, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
Fixed?
No. Than is used when comparing things. Like he is taller 'than' that other guy. Stuff like that.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2005, 05:14 PM

marry
Tell me you did that on purpose.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 05:14 PM

When did everyone around here get so up tight? I mean, I know I got a little snarky in the "Do gay people hump their mirrors" thread earlier, but jeez people.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 05:20 PM

No. Than is used when comparing things. Like he is taller 'than' that other guy. Stuff like that.
The subtlety was lost on you. Look up.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 05:23 PM

Salty,

This is the same issue as with the coat and time-clock. when you work for Best Buy they "own" you for whatever time you are on the clock. If they told you to end every sale with "the moon is made of green cheese" you would have to do it as that is a requirement of your job. It just so happens that this requirement regarding saying "Happy Holidays" conflicts with your own personaly held religious beliefs.

But guess what? Best Buy doesn't care about your own personally held religious beliefs. And they shouldn't care. They are in business to make money. And if having Best Buy employees wish everyone "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" makes them more money, that's what they are going to do . . . and should do. If they were instructing their staff to say "Merry Christmas" and it offended enough customers to effect their bottom line their shareholders would be pissed, and rightly so.

This is the ugly down-side of national commerce: Corporations have to use the least-common-denominator approach to presenting themselves to the public. If they are going to appeal to the largest number of potential customers then they need to be as bland and neutral as possible. If you want to work in an environment that doesn't cause your personal religious beliefs to be questioned or suppressed then you need to find a place to work that allows you to do just that. But don't try and make your place of work change to suit you; That's just dumb.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2005, 05:25 PM

OK the on going saga of how dumb
I can feel the love of Christ in your words. His teachings left its lasting impression on you. A true servant of God. You haven't the slightest idea of what it means to be Christian.

Would have trouble doing the same for every other religion, like Islam or Hare krishna?
Is there room for other religions or just yours? I know I would run to my nearest best buy if
they gave me 30-40% off on the holy month of Ramadan. Talk to your boss and report back
when you can.

This is business--capitalism at its finest--why is it that you believe that a persons religious beliefs are appropriate in this setting? I know, because in your fathers time or when you were growing up this was acceptable. Guess what, things change. And there's not a damn thing you can do to change or stop this. The last pathetic attempt to prevent progress was back in the 60s and they lost. This country has been greatly improved because of these courageous souls on both sides fighting for the rights of ever person, and now you want to halt this progress? Sounds familiar. Nothing is forever kid, so enjoy it while it last.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
When did everyone around here get so up tight? I mean, I know I got a little snarky in the "Do gay people hump their mirrors" thread earlier, but jeez people.
Really backs up the stereotypes of these rednecks eh

Yaeeeehaaaw!

Off to make out with the mirror....

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ratm
I can feel the love of Christ in your words. His teachings left its lasting impression on you. A true servant of God. You haven't the slightest idea of what it means to be Christian.
You sir, seem very ignorant of who Jesus was or what it means to be a Christian.

Jesus was not some quiet, weak, perpetually silent figure. He argued a LOT. He chased people out of the temple with a whip!

As well, being a Christian means following the teachings of Jesus and being in relationship with Him. Love the Lord your God with all your heart mind soul and strength. And love your neighbour as yourself. Best Buy is neither my God nor my fellow man. Best Buy is a collection of ideas, concepts and money, none of which are well inline with what my God would have for a kingdom of any sort.

Again, you sir are very ignorant and until you are well versed in a group's religious text and practices, you should neither tell them that they are or are not an adequate follower by your standards, nor tell them what they should and should not do in light of the teachings and customs you do not understand.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 12, 2005, 01:16 AM

Really backs up the stereotypes of these rednecks eh
SWF the only person I see acting like a redneck is you. And you don't even realize it.

BTW you know the "mullet" is known as the "Canadian Passport" ?

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 01:18 AM

SWF the only person I see acting like a redneck is you. And you don't even realize it.
Dude, he couldn't possibly be a red neck, we don't get near enough sun up here this time of year. He could potentially be a slightly brown neck... but even that's pushing it. Odds are he's pale as a sheet .

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2005, 01:26 AM

Dude, he couldn't possibly be a red neck, we don't get near enough sun up here this time of year. He could potentially be a slightly brown neck... but even that's pushing it. Odds are he's pale as a sheet .

Me a redneck when I live in a city with 3 million people and the most culturally diverse city in the world?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 01:38 AM

So is telling someone "have a great weekend" not knowing that they work the weekend shift a bad thing? And would they be right in telling you to f'off because they don't have the traditional Saturday/Sunday weekend be appropriate?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

baw
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 01:49 AM

I love how these corporations are denouncing the very thing that is boosting their sales.

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 02:04 AM

Salty, you work at a private company which can dictate their own rules while you are under their employ (as long as it does not violate Federal Law and such). You have a right to be upset at this policy but it makes sense.

I have a think skin and can care less when people wish me "Merry Christmas" as I wish them "happy holidays" back. However, if one is a true student of history, then celebrating the birth of a person who has caused the most war, death, murder, genocide and destruction in history can make you a tad upset.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

jjlannoo
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2005, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid
Nice to know that your mom's a jerk. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Here's hoping you find yourself in an Islamic country for a while and experience some of your own treatment. (Oh, but let me guess--that's totally different, because see, we have the RIGHT religion! And in those countries, they cut your head off for being Christian! )

Three words: USE YOUR BLOG.

His Mom's a jerk because She's not going to Kiss everyones ass? Good for Her

Religion needs to go away,hopefully We will grow up one day and believe in ourselves instead of magical deities in the sky
iMac G5 20" 2.1 GHz Power Mac G4 Cube 450 MHz
my .mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules