Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do you completely wipe your hard drive?

How do you completely wipe your hard drive?
IGrokSpock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2003, 03:29 PM

I want to get rid of my old computer. How do I completely destroy all the personal files on it, so that no one can recover them? I know I can reinstall all the system software and reformat the disk. Something tells me thats not enough...

Help!
It tastes like burning!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 04:08 PM

Do you want to sell it or trash it? If you're selling it, re-format the drive three of four times, and that should keep anyone but the FBI from reading your files. If you've got something to hide from the feds, I suggest you physically destroy the drive -- I.E. take out the platter and break it.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 04:40 PM

Do a low-level format.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Feb 4, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Do you want to sell it or trash it? If you're selling it, re-format the drive three of four times, and that should keep anyone but the FBI from reading your files. If you've got something to hide from the feds, I suggest you physically destroy the drive -- I.E. take out the platter and break it.

CV
Re-formating the drive 1000 times would make no difference, you have to do a low level format "zero all data" a few times to really get rid of it.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
Re-formating the drive 1000 times would make no difference, you have to do a low level format "zero all data" a few times to really get rid of it.
That's what I meant, of course.
Use TechTool or some-such utility to "write zeros," and do it at least thrice.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 05:56 PM

Even zeroing the data isn't enough, if They (whoever They are) are after you. However, you can secure your old disk against Them, using a method which tends to be a lot more fun.

Basically, remove the old hard drive from the computer. Get a sledgehammer (eight pounds seems to be enough, but you could really put some force behind a twenty-pounder). From here, I will leave the procedure up to your imagination.

Seriously. Marketing agencies have started scraping data off of old hard drives too, using some surprisingly advanced techniques. If you don't want that to happen to you, then no amount of formatting is good enough; you'll have to physically destroy the disk. If firecrackers are legal where you live, you might also give them a try; I'd recommend an M-100 or stronger. You could also open the case, remove the platters, and drill a few convenient holes in them. Or if you have a microwave that you also want to get rid of, remove the platters from the drive, put them in the microwave, and heat on High power for about one minute (I suggest you do this outside, using a VERY long extension cord to plug in the microwave). Unless I'm mistaken, you'll get a very pretty light show, but your microwave oven will probably be toasted.

Get creative. You can have fun with this.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

IGrokSpock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2003, 06:33 PM

Thanks... but..... what program do iuse for this? tech tool? is that the one that came with my osx disks? if not, is there a freeware/shareware program for this?
It tastes like burning!

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2003, 07:10 PM

Drive Setup on Mac OS 9 install discs can zero all data. It takes forever though.

pliny
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2003, 12:09 AM

I had this problem once at an old job (before the lava). I took the hd out of the computer and opened up the case and then once the platter was exposed used a hammer yes it was fun. Destroy the physical hd.
i look in your general direction

OpenStep
Senior User
Feb 5, 2003, 12:11 AM

just click zero disk/write 0's in drive setup or disk utility

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by IGrokSpock:
Thanks... but..... what program do iuse for this? tech tool? is that the one that came with my osx disks? if not, is there a freeware/shareware program for this?
Disk Utility in 10.1.3 will also do it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Sarc
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2003, 08:00 AM

go to a car junkyard (you know, those with the big ass electromagnetic cranes).
Kindly ask the operator of the crane to turn the magnet on ... get you hard drive close to it, tell the man to turn the magnet off, then on again, then off again, thank him very much, and you will have a clean hard drive on your hand.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

forkies
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Disk Utility in 10.1.3 will also do it.
I used Disk Utility to write zeros on a 30 GB drive and it only took about 20 min. Do you know why it would be so fast when I remember it taking such a long time using Drive Setup in OS 9? I feel like it's not actually doing anything!

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Forum Links
Forum Rules