Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ...got fur?

...got fur?
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 05:52 AM

Hi guys,

I know most people around Macnn is not really into Fur. However I think we should see this video.

Never been a PETA guy, I think their activism sometimes is close to ilegallity, but these seem to be the practises fur industry use abroad, more specifically in China.

Nobody will enjoy that video.

have a nice weekend.

Carlos
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2007, 06:05 AM

probably won't be clicking on that link tyvm.
ice

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
probably won't be clicking on that link tyvm.
ya, ditto that. I don't get a kick out of seeing ugly things.

I'll just stick to not buying furs. As always. It's just not me.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

forkies
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by cenutrio View Post
I know most people around Macnn is not really into Fur.
speak for yourself dude

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 08:03 AM

hahaha funny, I guess there's always a black sheep around ready to bother. But to your post.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 08:59 AM

Ugh, I bit and watched some of the video. Nice to see cute, furry animals being skinned alive. I've always thought of fur coats as being an ostentatious display and the people who wear them being "high maintenance".

However, the only point the video makes in my mind is that when we use animals for food or some type of product we need to make sure that we don't have sadistic people torturing them but to try to ensure a quick, painless death. I think when people are allowed to be sadistic to animals in this way, its really a short step to treating people in the same manner.

The only animals that should never killed for any reason are endangered ones. That's as far as I go for animal rights. As sad as the video is, there are people in the world being treated that way.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 16, 2007, 09:52 AM

[Intentional derail]

Let's talk about all of the animals PETA has killed

[/intentional derail]

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 10:00 AM

My wife owns an old, inherited fur coat and wears it during winter. There are few things better for keeping warm.

I would not buy a new fur coat because I am aware of how the original owners of said fur are treated. However, a lot of the people I have met who would 'never wear fur' happily eat chicken raised in conditions that are about as inhuman as it gets. Before we get all upset about fur we should change the conditions chickens, turkeys and other poultry are being kept in.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
However, a lot of the people I have met who would 'never wear fur' happily eat chicken raised in conditions that are about as inhuman as it gets. Before we get all upset about fur we should change the conditions chickens, turkeys and other poultry are being kept in.
Is this where I put my obligatory "go veggie, you filthy apes" post in?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Is this where I put my obligatory "go veggie, you filthy apes" post in?
If it comes in the form of an AAC with a Charleton Heston impersonator delivering it, you've got my blessing.

Ham Sandwich
Feb 16, 2007, 10:23 AM

RR:

Nice try but most intelligent people will realize that PETA, HSUS and hundreds of other animal shelters HAVE to practice euthanasia daily on thousands and thousands of animals because the animal population is out of control.

If you don't like the practice, you can help by playing host to a thousand animals in your house while we all do the same.

I know you're just trying to be a dick but it's getting old.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 11:46 AM

My wife owns an old, inherited fur coat and wears it during winter. There are few things better for keeping warm.

I would not buy a new fur coat because I am aware of how the original owners of said fur are treated. However, a lot of the people I have met who would 'never wear fur' happily eat chicken raised in conditions that are about as inhuman as it gets. Before we get all upset about fur we should change the conditions chickens, turkeys and other poultry are being kept in.
I guess I was thinking of all the super rich park avenue set walking around when I go to lunch. I've even seen men in fur coats around here. There is nothing more ridicuous than a man in a fur coat. However, your wife doesn't sound like the ostentatious type and an old inherited coat is different.

At any rate, while I don't like to hear about chickens raised in poor conditions either at least they are being consumed as a food source. Much of the "cruelty" associated with raising chickens can be somewhat justified by the need for efficiency in producing millions of chicken breasts a year. In order for PETA to be happy each chicken would need to be resting on its own red velvet pillow with gourmet chicken feed.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
There is nothing more ridicuous than a man in a fur coat.
Today we salute you Mr. Male Fur Coat Wearer
Perhaps fashions greatest mystery, what makes a big strong man say, "I think I need a new fur coat"?

The very height of political incorrectness, nothing says I could give a rats rear end like a man in a floor length chinchilla
A look that is half street pimp, half Aunt Ester, and full on fur-tastic

Sure it's gauche, but you don't spend more on your coat than your car NOT to be noticed

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light Mr. Male Fur Coat Wearer, Because it takes a REAL man to wear a ladies coat

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2007, 11:54 AM

Heh... ...last time I bumped into Ozzy he'd got a fur coat on.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2007, 12:04 PM

And here I thought this was going to be a thread a furries...

Railroader
Banned
Feb 16, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
RR:

Nice try but most intelligent people will realize that PETA, HSUS and hundreds of other animal shelters HAVE to practice euthanasia daily on thousands and thousands of animals because the animal population is out of control.

If you don't like the practice, you can help by playing host to a thousand animals in your house while we all do the same.

I know you're just trying to be a dick but it's getting old.
Actually, I was trying to be funny. Hence the tags. But if your humor is lacking, you can think of me as a dick.

But, since you dragged it out and compared PETA to an animal shelter, I'll play along. Intelligent people will realize that PETA is not an animal shelter. An animal shelter doesn't kill over 80% of the animals it takes in. PETA is a bunch of pretentious preaching hypocrites.

These are animal shelters (they don't kill any of the animals they take in. Unlike PEAT):
http://www.hua.org/
http://www.petsalive.com/
http://www.dogpack.com/directory/txnokill.htm
http://www.bestfriends.org/

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2007, 04:49 PM

Personally, I think we should all boycott Apple.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Personally, I think we should all boycott Apple.

I want that in 1440 x 960.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2007, 05:20 PM

I'm disappointed with the direction this thread is going in.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2007, 05:21 PM

Back on topic: I'm no PETA fan, but that video does make me wince. I eat steak, chicken, and even pork, but this kind of stuff should be done humanely. I'm reformed from my hummingbird days (other thread).

Ham Sandwich
Feb 16, 2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Actually, I was trying to be funny. Hence the tags. But if your humor is lacking, you can think of me as a dick.

But, since you dragged it out and compared PETA to an animal shelter, I'll play along. Intelligent people will realize that PETA is not an animal shelter. An animal shelter doesn't kill over 80% of the animals it takes in. PETA is a bunch of pretentious preaching hypocrites.

These are animal shelters (they don't kill any of the animals they take in. Unlike PEAT):
http://www.hua.org/
http://www.petsalive.com/
http://www.dogpack.com/directory/txnokill.htm
http://www.bestfriends.org/
I didn't notice your wit but whenever anyone brings up animal rights, it's always brought up that "PETA kills animals". I'm not a PETA fan - they used to be decent but...whatever. It's the untruth that is spread by such statements you made that people start believing animal protection agencies are basically no good if they have to euthanise their animals.

Anyway, I worked for the largest Humane Society in Michigan for a number of years. They are one of the top humane animal organizations in the country and do a ton of good. 80% is NOT uncommon! Trust me, I was a euthanasia technician and it was over 100 dogs and cats a day on a GOOD day at the smallest shelter (they have three). By the time I left a couple of years later, the number had more than doubled. And we only had housing for about 50 animals. A compassionate, humane organization will accept any animal and try to find it a home - alas, it is impossible. Organizations you listed do actually MORE harm than good as once they're full, they're full and animals are turned away. That animal that's turned away is usually left to stray or is killed in an inhumane way.

Sorry I called you a dick but your statement insinuated that animal organizations that have to euthanize are no better than whatever was in that video. It's that mentality that keeps people from realizing that their is a real animal population control problem.

Rumor
Feb 16, 2007, 06:49 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 16, 2007, 07:10 PM

Sorry I called you a dick ...
You realize that apologies with "but" in them are not apologies.

PETA is NOT a animal shelter. They are a political group. Stop comparing them.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 07:39 PM

The price of fashion is high. Good thing its so important or people might kinda feel guilty. I mean, what would the world be without fashionable fur coats, scarves, boots, gloves, underwear, etc? I shudder to think.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2007, 01:19 AM

Fur is alright. I mean, it gets rather cold outside.

Oh, we're talking about animals. That changes things completely.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 03:38 AM

wow, that video was very very graphic. i couldn't watch more than a minute or two of it. why would they skin those animals alive when they could have just killed them first and taken less time??? seeing that one have his fur ripped right off and over his head while he was still trying to get away was too much for me.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2007, 05:51 AM

I didn't like that video.

Ham Sandwich
Feb 17, 2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You realize that apologies with "but" in them are not apologies.

PETA is NOT a animal shelter. They are a political group. Stop comparing them.
MOST animal shelters are also heavily involved in politics and have entire departments that handle govermental issues. Because PETA handles things the other way around makes no difference in that they have a shelter that must euthanize animals humanely.

You may hate PETA, that's apparent. While I don't agree with their current agendas, they have been a brilliant organization in the past and have done a lot of good for animal rights.

I was apologizing for using the word "dick" in the reply. That was harsh. I wasn't apologizing for the spirit in which it was given. You trolled and you got a bite.

bstone
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 01:44 PM

Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
I used to like PETA until they did this:

CNN.com - Group blasts PETA 'Holocaust' project - Feb. 28, 2003
I wasn't surprised.

Atomic Rooster
Feb 18, 2007, 06:32 PM

Railroader a dick?!!?

Why he's always on good terms with me and everyone.

Atomic Rooster
Feb 18, 2007, 06:36 PM

Best thing to do is throw paint on people who wear animal fur. That'll make them think real hard. At the very least call them name and embarrass them as much as you can in public.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Best thing to do is throw paint on people who wear animal fur. That'll make them think real hard. At the very least call them name and embarrass them as much as you can in public.
I take it you don't wear leather shoes?

Ham Sandwich
Feb 18, 2007, 09:40 PM

I take it you don't wear leather shoes?
I don't, but I'll bite.

Leather is a byproduct of the meat industry. Usually the leather used in items is off of meat. Therefore, one's thinking could be that if most of the animal is used for other purposes anyway, might as well not let the skin go to waste.

Fur is usually just taken off of animals whose carcass is just thrown away.

I'll also add that the animals that are raised for fur are treated way more inhumanely nor is the business regulated like that of the meat industry which imposes some humane treatment.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2007, 09:47 PM

I don't, but I'll bite.

Leather is a byproduct of the meat industry. Usually the leather used in items is off of meat. Therefore, one's thinking could be that if most of the animal is used for other purposes anyway, might as well not let the skin go to waste.

Fur is usually just taken off of animals whose carcass is just thrown away.
But that doesn't change the moral argument, doesn't it? Whether I am eating an animal or using it's fur and skin to keep warm is irrelevant - in both cases I am killing the animal so I can make use of it's carcass. Looking at it that way there is no difference between meat eaters and fur wearers.

I am not trying to pick an argument with you and I agree that the events shown in the video are horrific. However, throwing paint at people who wear fur is idiotic - it would be a far nobler cause to rescue the chickens destined to your local supermarket.

Personally I do eat meat, but I try and buy it from free range, organic butchers as much as I can. I'd rather have less, but of higher quality.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 18, 2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Railroader a dick?!!?

Why he's always on good terms with me and everyone.
fanboi.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 11:28 PM

I think I'll pass on the video, thank you very much. I'll continue to avoid fur as I always have, personally.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Ham Sandwich
Feb 19, 2007, 04:36 AM

But that doesn't change the moral argument, doesn't it? Whether I am eating an animal or using it's fur and skin to keep warm is irrelevant - in both cases I am killing the animal so I can make use of it's carcass. Looking at it that way there is no difference between meat eaters and fur wearers.

I am not trying to pick an argument with you and I agree that the events shown in the video are horrific. However, throwing paint at people who wear fur is idiotic - it would be a far nobler cause to rescue the chickens destined to your local supermarket.

Personally I do eat meat, but I try and buy it from free range, organic butchers as much as I can. I'd rather have less, but of higher quality.
My belief is that animals should never be killed for food, sport, selfish reasons, etc. But, I'm not obtuse enough to think that people are going to stop killing animals because I think it's wrong. If you're going to kill an animal, at least use every part of it and kill it in a humane way.

And, yes. Throwing paint on fur is stupid. If they have the means to purchase one, they probably have the means to just purchase another. It's much better just to beat the person with a claw hammer instead.

CleoW
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2007, 10:52 PM

I wear fur. And I laugh at arguments from leather- wearing hypocrites. If it suddenly became acceptable to import East African infant meat, I wouldn't start wearing infant skin and try to justify it.
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

flyordiedays
Feb 24, 2007, 11:08 PM

Gah. Why don't they kill them first? Does anyone know?

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 05:14 PM

it's really horrible to see these attrocities, there are also horrible video's of dolphin massacres. i don't know how to react to these things, it's really really horrible but still i like a bit of beef in my spaghetti like most others. I know people who can get really aggressive if they talk about hurting animals, and they are right to a certain degree (peta and alf go too far sometimes, like that exposition that compared animals to jews). But eating meat is part of most people's daily diet, it's not wrong to eat meat. it's just wrong to unneccesarily hurt livestock.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 07:53 PM

I believe in animal rights, but PETA will never see a single dollar of my money.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
it's really horrible to see these attrocities, there are also horrible video's of dolphin massacres. i don't know how to react to these things, it's really really horrible but still i like a bit of beef in my spaghetti like most others. I know people who can get really aggressive if they talk about hurting animals, and they are right to a certain degree (peta and alf go too far sometimes, like that exposition that compared animals to jews). But eating meat is part of most people's daily diet, it's not wrong to eat meat. it's just wrong to unneccesarily hurt livestock.

(Man, this thread is a gold mine...)

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 04:33 AM

indeed, it's as funny as an 80's sitcom
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Forum Links
Forum Rules