Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPod Minis selling like NUTS

iPod Minis selling like NUTS
starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2004, 10:45 AM

Hi all,
I had to go to my local Apple Store yesterday to exchange my copy of FCP4 which had a bad CD in it. In the short time I was there I saw no less than 12 iPod Minis sold. Wow! So much for them being so expensive!

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2004, 10:51 AM

Do nuts really sell all that well?

"If it's broke, you choke."

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2004, 10:51 AM

They are bringing really good money on eBay as well...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2004, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
Depends on the season...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2004, 10:53 AM

Looks like Steve got it right again...

It seems that people will pay the premium for extra style and compactness over hard drive space. I'll confess, even I'll be buying one when they hit the UK...

(Unless someone in tha states will ship one over for me!)

L E
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2004, 10:55 AM

They supposedly go well in the red light district.

Oh, but there's no need to tell you that.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2004, 11:08 AM

Oh, I'm not touching that one .

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2004, 11:18 AM

Rumor has it that hotcakes are big sellers also.
( Last edited by Vader�s Pinch of Death; Feb 23, 2004 at 11:25 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2004, 11:20 AM

Fruitcakes, too.

Luckily, no shortage on fruitcakes.

-s*

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Fruitcakes, too.
Nobody sells fruitcakes; there were a finite number created during the Big Bang, and they've simply circulated the universe ever since.

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2004, 11:26 AM

Fruitcakes, too.

-s*
Really? I am not so sure your source on that one is correct. I mean I always thought people dreaded getting fruitcakes

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2004, 11:28 AM

Such a sad commentary, that Steve can sell things at such a ripoff price.

Be warned; this is not as good as it seems. Watch him jack up the price on Macs next, confident that if he can sell iPod Minis at this price, he can sell anything at any price. And the hell of it is, he just might be able to do that.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
And the hell of it is, he just might be able to do that.
Don't blame him for that...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2004, 11:36 AM

Be warned; this is not as good as it seems. Watch him jack up the price on Macs next, confident that if he can sell iPod Minis at this price, he can sell anything at any price. And the hell of it is, he just might be able to do that.
********. ********. ********.

(Okay, what's with censoring "bullsh1t"? Huh?)

Hasn't the pricing scheme been discussed to death a half-dozen times, Millennium? It basically came down to - no, it's not overpriced for what it is, what's in it, and what size it is, but it's still too much money.

Turns out we were right: people are loving them.

Where we disagree is that you think that people are idiots for buying them, and that I think you're an idiot for thinking so.

(that said, I'm buying another iPod the moment they hit 80GB - though I'd gladly pay a premium to get it in the mini format)

-s*

Krypton
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 11:51 AM

Someone's bitter

Steve probably knows what he's doing, it's the mercury in the sushi that goes to his head. I'm certain he knows Mac prices must come down if the sales figures are ever going to look better.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2004, 12:49 PM

The iPod is Apple's most profitable product at the moment and one of the reasons they are posting in the red. They are making zero profits on the iTunes store. To argue against Apple making money (or even trying to balance their books) is ludicrous. At first I too thought it was overpriced but it is what it is. For those poor Mac users I'm sure by Christmas we'll see it for $199.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2004, 12:58 PM

I'm still amazed that you think the iPod Mini is expensive. I'll agree that it's not the lease expensive 4 GB MP3 player, but it's in the ballpark.

List all the MP3 players that hold more then 3 GB MP3 players that cost less then $249... you will find a select few.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Evan_11:
The iPod is Apple's most profitable product at the moment and one of the reasons they are posting in the red.
dont you mean in they are posting in the black?

i think the jury is still out on this mini thing. i really wonder how many people who bought them just did it for the drive. i think the drive alone is something like $500 so to instead buy the mini to gut it and scrap the rest is by no means out of the question.

it will be interesting to see what happens to sales of the mini when Hitachi lowers the price to the drive to something less than what apple charges for the mini.

no matter, the profit off the minis is going to apple, whether the rest of the device is being used of not.

i just hope apple isnt doing something dumb like selling the mini at a loss in an effort to sell more songs at the ITMS.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 01:02 PM

I would like to know who is buying more windows users or mac users?

I thought about ebaying my 30GB because I don't listen to 7500 songs on the thing and that blue is nice, but it is a lot easier to have it sync and go than to pick and regret it. "ah why did I not put that song on here... damn."

I'm holding out for rev B (tm)
Hopefully it will come with a bigger hard drive.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 23, 2004, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by starman:
In the short time I was there I saw no less than 12 iPod Minis sold. Wow! So much for them being so expensive!

Mike
This is not surprising to me.

1. It's new.
2. It's an Apple product.
3. It's sold at an Apple store.

When I was able to fondle an iPod Mini in person back at MacWorld, I knew I just HAD TO HAVE one.

It was designed to be that way.

Pictures don't do it justice. You need to touch it to understand why it's so desirable.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I'm still amazed that you think the iPod Mini is expensive. I'll agree that it's not the lease expensive 4 GB MP3 player, but it's in the ballpark.

List all the MP3 players that hold more then 3 GB MP3 players that cost less then $249... you will find a select few.
I find that true. I don't think the iPod mini is over price. We don't compare it to other music players we say "man for $50 more you could have an extra 11GB" I feel if Apple would have left the lower iPod at 10GB there would be less complaining.

it reminds me of the old mine is bigger than yours thing. What's the point of having a big d!ck if you don't have anywhere to put it?

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
Nobody sells fruitcakes; there were a finite number created during the Big Bang, and they've simply circulated the universe ever since.
what about the four i digested back in '88? explain that!

soul searching
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 01:08 PM

Ars Technica review of the iPod Mini. If you don't want to read the whole article just scroll down to the table where they compare it to other similar players.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

forkies
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 01:08 PM

Be warned...
pom·pous adj.
1 Characterized by excessive self-esteem or exaggerated dignity; pretentious
2 Ostentatious; pretentious; boastful; vainlorious; as, pompous manners; a pompous style

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
interestingly enough. a majority of them have congregated here.

/obvious

disectamac
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Don't blame him for that...

also, "Don't hate the player hate the game". -Sean "Puffy" Combs

why do people keep trying to use the argument that Apple is outpriced? it's differentiation, everyone should now that.

Apple doesn't sell well to price shoppers, they buy the xbrands with the celerons. And yes it's all on a scale, its not black and white. It isn't just a choice between a geo metro and a rolls royce, most consumers tend to find their own middle ground whether it be an accord or camry.

But the bottom line is that most of us are willing to overlook price if the bells and wistles are shiny enough, and Apple knows it. If this weren't true I wouldn't have paid $1400 for a 400Mhz iMac G3 DVSE a few years ago when I could've bought a 1Ghz P3 for the same price.

So while Apple isn't flat out saying the iPod mini is expensive as hell (no business should ever say things like that about their products), they are instead telling us that the price is justified because thats marketing (simply), even though the product really remains an expensive model, and any consumer that takes the time to look at tables of comparisons or create them is merely trying to jusify the price because you have bell and wistle syndrome.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by disectamac:
But the bottom line is that most of us are willing to overlook price if the bells and wistles are shiny enough, and Apple knows it. If this weren't true I wouldn't have paid $1400 for a 400Mhz iMac G3 DVSE a few years ago when I could've bought a 1Ghz P3 for the same price.
To be fair: I *still* think my iMac DV looks kick-ass today, and love it dearly, and it's worth about �300, vs. probably about �50 for the 1GHz P3.

-s*

disectamac
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 02:17 PM

To be fair: I *still* think my iMac DV looks kick-ass today, and love it dearly, and it's worth about �300, vs. probably about �50 for the 1GHz P3.

-s*
I never really thought about how different computers hold their value. might make for an interesting thread

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2004, 03:10 PM

Fruitcakes, too.

-s*
I've never had a fruitcake..what are they like? Fruity...?

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Hi all,
I had to go to my local Apple Store yesterday to exchange my copy of FCP4 which had a bad CD in it. In the short time I was there I saw no less than 12 iPod Minis sold. Wow! So much for them being so expensive!

Mike
Funny thing is when G4 Cubes first hit the market they flew off the shelves also.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

xenu
Senior User
Feb 23, 2004, 05:13 PM

Do you people even know what the iPod mini is being priced against?
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by xenu:
Do you people even know what the iPod mini is being priced against?
Flash based players bla bla bla.... for $50 more you can get another 10 gigs etc..

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
Funny thing is when G4 Cubes first hit the market they flew off the shelves also.
There as a big rush when they were discontinued, too. Almost didn't get mine.

J

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 23, 2004, 05:57 PM

the prices of macs are already "jacked up."

since when is $249 msrp for a device that contains a 4gb microdrive a ripoff? you can't even buy a bare microdrive for that much, they cost closer to $500.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 06:43 PM

250$ is not overpriced
(the arstechnica article clearly proved that this thing is high-end priced for mp3 players but it offers much more than anything else)

275�300$ to me is overpriced
then i would go into conniptions and bitch.

xenu
Senior User
Feb 23, 2004, 06:55 PM

Flash based players bla bla bla.... for $50 more you can get another 10 gigs etc..
Which is not the market they are to compared against, is it?
It is the flash based player market, as you correctly pointed out.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

hayesk
Feb 23, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
Uhm... they did?

Truepop
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 07:31 PM

Thus the whole reason they are in colors. would someone buy an iPod mini with 4GB if they were white like their 15 20 and 40 older bothers? I wouldn't. The colors and that new scroll wheel make me want to jump on the mini wagon.

snct
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2004, 07:51 PM

My 5GB iPod isn't large enough to hold all my music and audio books, so an iPod Mini isn't in my future. I am waiting for the 40GB to get below $500 though .

For me, the 'something special' about the iPod is the scroll wheel (scroll hundreds of titles in seconds), and the speed of transfer (FireWire makes USB file transfer look like a joke). I'll pay a premium again for both of those features.
--Steve

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
Thus the whole reason they are in colors. would someone buy an iPod mini with 4GB if they were white like their 15 20 and 40 older bothers? I wouldn't. The colors and that new scroll wheel make me want to jump on the mini wagon.
To true, the colours are a big thing, ten bucks says we'll see green blue pink and silver aluminum iMacs and iBooks coming out soon Least... I hope so

Nah uhh... but that said I am SERIOUSLY considering getting a mini, the green one would look really sweet with my nice white iBook. And I could use the excuse that I need it for music while I work out... and then of course if I buy it I won't have money to go to a gym which I keep meaning to do... but who knows things might work out... or something...

That said the current four buttons on the iPod just don't do it for me, I much prefer the setup on the mini.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 08:07 PM

and here I thought this was going to be about apple getting 100,000 iPod Mini pre-orders
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

busket68
Banned
Feb 23, 2004, 08:40 PM

I don't see how they're a ripoff.... 4 gigs is PLENTY of space for most people... plus its firewire so its not like it takes that long to chnage what's in it anyway. Spend $50-150 on some shitty compact flash 128 meg player,or $250 for one with FOUR GIGS, super compact, firewire and good style. Deal. Hence why it's selling well.

- Ca$h

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Uhm... they did?
Yup, really hard to get one and if you ordered one from the Apple store you were in for a long wait.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 09:09 PM

why not? Who thought the iPod mini is the G4 Cube in 2001?
People were line-up infront of the AppleStore in Bellevue, WA.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 11:05 PM

over the weekend, cbs evening news carried a story of the ipod minis...they showed people lined up outside of the soho store in nyc and people leaving the store with 4-5 at a time...

no video sorry, it would have ment getting up off the couch...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 11:40 PM

Yup, really hard to get one and if you ordered one from the Apple store you were in for a long wait.
Are you talking about the 500mhz G4 Cube? Because it was only available at the Apple Store. Apple didn't let resellers carry the high end Cube at first which explains the long wait.

Regarding the iPod mini's price, a coworker of mine stopped by the Apple Store in Corte Madera and picked up a green iPod mini. He brought it to work today showing it off to everyone in my department. I thought everyone was going to freak when he told them how much it cost. But most people were like, "Wow, $250. That's not too bad." Quite the contrast from two years ago when I was showing off my original 5 gig iPod. "$400!!!!... For an mp3 player! You're f@ckin' crazy!!!"

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

MacsGalor
Senior User
Feb 24, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
L
(Unless someone in tha states will ship one over for me!)
I think the answer is yes, but perhaps not. Would that be illegal? If its not I may be able to help.

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 11:12 AM

so prices stay high...
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by MacsGalor:
I think the answer is yes, but perhaps not. Would that be illegal? If its not I may be able to help.
Not illegal, but tricky.

Technically, customs gets to slap import duties and VAT on the thing, so it ends up about the same price, if not slightly higher.

Unless you get it through customs unnoticed.

-s*

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 12:35 PM

The very good thing about the mini:

The mini does not compete in the 15-40 GB iPod market.

The mini is competing against flash players.

It is another niche in which Apple is competitive. This is good news.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Forum Links
Forum Rules