Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Corporal punishment in schools.

Corporal punishment in schools. (Page 2)
Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
And you don't understand rhetorical humour.
No, apparently I've missed it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
If you're right, then this problem is much more recent.

Growing up, I was under the impression that this had been a problem for a while.
No, this type of thing started before I entered HS and became worse after I'd left. It's taken 20-25 years to come to a head, and now it's out of control.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein View Post
It started when society became more litigious, and parents found they could get a free ride by suing the schools.
That's one part of it, but I'm sure it actually started happening over here before the litigation society took hold (it took a while longer to kick in over here).

I can't pin it down, but I have a feeling that it's a lot to do with a shift towards leftist politics and the associated "softly softly" approach to crime. For example, certain councils rewarding troublesome kids with holidays abroad or days at the karting track (this kind of thing has been going on since the early 90's here).

I remember back in about '92 when the chick I was seeing was attending an evening class at a local college. One of her classmates had had her house broken into, all her stuff nicked. This classmate actually said "I feel sorry for them that they've got to steal stuff" or words to that effect. It's that attitude (rather than the "if I catch the little bastards, I'll...") which seems to have contributed to the whole soft approach to bad behaviour and crime.

We need more folks like Sheriff Joe.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:55 PM

No, apparently I've missed it.
Question mark at the end of "Clinton got in" followed by "I've no idea", in case you were wondering.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 03:07 PM

as long as the 'cultural immaturity' is allowed to be acceptable behavior, you'll have kids and young adults acting like asses and throwing temper tantrums. had mommy & daddy spanked the pants off the young brat this would have not continued. Today it fashionable to 'go off' instead of dealing with situations in a calm, rational fashion. Responsibility is a close second, and the same brats and immature a$$wholes take no responsibility for being stupid, or wrong. It's always someone elses fault(said in whiney voice).

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 03:12 PM

Question mark at the end of "Clinton got in" followed by "I've no idea", in case you were wondering.
I was.

forkies
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 03:15 PM

using fear to control others, especially developing children, aint my thing

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

deomacius
Senior User
Nov 7, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by forkies View Post
using fear to control others, especially developing children, aint my thing
Well good for you! Bravo!

You reap what you sow.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 03:39 PM

Spanking and corporal punishment are just the lazy person's way to influence what a child does. I never have, and never will, understand how a big person hitting a little person teaches a child anything other than that of solving your problems in a violent manner. Violence begets violence, reason begets reason.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Spanking and corporal punishment are just the lazy person's way to influence what a child does. I never have, and never will, understand how a big person hitting a little person teaches a child anything other than that of solving your problems in a violent manner. Violence begets violence, reason begets reason.
and yet, in this climate of "tolerance" and government cracking down on corporal punishment, crime and violence by children is on the rise.

Wonder why that is... hmmm...

I sure don't remember any school shootings when I was growing up.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 03:49 PM

Once again, corporal punishment isn't the only thing missing from kids lives nowadays.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 03:54 PM

Once again, corporal punishment isn't the only thing missing from kids lives nowadays.
True.

The bottom line is, today's parents aren't worth a damn.
- Thomas Paine

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 03:55 PM

Depressing fact.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 03:56 PM

Hmmm. You CAN'T REason with a brat 3 year old so what options do you have that won't cause problems later? A "time out" which really IS a lazy persons solution. you are dealing with a smart animal and not a reasoning being. Dogs learn that way. So do cats and other animals. How do YOU get their attention to 'explain' that they are being bad? Sugar?

You are NOT just beating a child for no reason. You are spanking an unruly child to impress on them that it will happen again unless they do what you say. Your reasoning is doomed to failure, and has with MANY parents who are producing brats and worse.

andi*pandi
Nov 7, 2006, 04:01 PM

time outs do work. So does counting. "If you don't wash your hands/come to dinner/put away your toys by the time I count to 3 you'll lose dessert/tv/books/someother thing" he likes.

Sometimes I only have to say 1 and I get the same reaction as a father "adjusting" his belt.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 04:04 PM

Funny, I don't have to hit my children to communicate with them.

deomacius
Senior User
Nov 7, 2006, 04:05 PM

*COUGH*Bullcrap*COUGH*

I speak from my experience as well as the experiences of my friends who were spanked growing up. I've NEVER been in a fight and am not an aggressive or violent person as you claim. Neither are the people I know.

A big person hitting a little person makes clear, in terms a little person can understand, that certain behaviors will result in immediate and clearly negative consequences that will potentially give them pause the next time they think about doing that behavior or like behavior again.

You reap what you sow.

deomacius
Senior User
Nov 7, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
Funny, every child is different.

You reap what you sow.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
time outs do work. So does counting. "If you don't wash your hands/come to dinner/put away your toys by the time I count to 3 you'll lose dessert/tv/books/someother thing" he likes.

Sometimes I only have to say 1 and I get the same reaction as a father "adjusting" his belt.
For a light infraction, possibly. But not when it's something more serious.

Now, combine the same ultimatum with a swat on the bum, and you have a stronger position.
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 04:14 PM

a big person hitting a little person
And there we go - the transformation of "slapping" into "hitting" in order to win the argument and make it seem like everyone who slaps their child in order to discipline them is some kind of evil monster.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 04:19 PM

Oh, and to all those saying that the threat of violence is wrong...

...when you go to the pub at night, the only thing stopping your wife from getting raped on a regular basis by the big bloke from the bar next door is his fear of violent retribution (i.e. either your shooting him in the face or Bubba liking him in clinky). You can kid yourselves otherwise, but this is a fact. We're still animals, all said and done - society simply wouldn't function without the threat of violence keeping people in line.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 04:20 PM

Yeah, we can see how wonderful this generation of children are.

It's strange how I see people commenting, "my kids are great" or "I don't have any problems", etc.. Well, just fill me in on something, just WHO are the parents raising all the bad kids?

It never fails that most modern parents have no clue what their kids are doing, or how to effectively deal with them. In their eyes they are the model of parental control... until their child knifes someone after recess.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 04:22 PM

And there we go - the transformation of "slapping" into "hitting" in order to win the argument and make it seem like everyone who slaps their child in order to discipline them is some kind of evil monster.
Yeah, in a previous discussion, I mentioned a "spanking" and somehow it turned into a "beating".
- Thomas Paine

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by deomacius View Post
A big person hitting a little person makes clear, in terms a little person can understand, that certain behaviors will result in immediate and clearly negative consequences that will potentially give them pause the next time they think about doing that behavior or like behavior again.
Which is exactly the kind of thing we want to base our "values" around.

Fascism anybody?

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 04:24 PM

It never fails that most modern parents have no clue what their kids are doing, or how to effectively deal with them. In their eyes they are the model of parental control... until their child knifes someone after recess.
Cue the local TV news wheeling out the shoebomber's parents who state "he would never do anything like that!". Happens every time.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 04:31 PM

Oh, and to all those saying that the threat of violence is wrong...

...when you go to the pub at night, the only thing stopping your wife from getting raped on a regular basis by the big bloke from the bar next door is his fear of violent retribution (i.e. either your shooting him in the face or Bubba liking him in clinky). You can kid yourselves otherwise, but this is a fact. We're still animals, all said and done - society simply wouldn't function without the threat of violence keeping people in line.
It's the reason why clubs have bouncers, and the bartender keeps a ballbat behind the bar.

At my favorite pub, the owner is a retired cop, and he keeps a loaded shotgun back there for just such an emergency. Tell ya what, nothing calms a place down faster than the sound of a pump-action 12 gauge.
- Thomas Paine

Rumor
Nov 7, 2006, 04:40 PM

Positive/Negative reinforcement. Some children never need to be punished, or if they do, talking works fine. Some children are so unruly, a swat on the ass is the clearest way to get through to them. Each child is different and requires different methods.

Usually (not always), the children that hardly need negative reinforcement is due to attentive parents.

Motion to move to PL.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 04:42 PM

Once your kid realizes he's not gonna get spanked, or punished you've lost. Putting a kid in his room isn't being punished as he goes into his room when NOT punished. A timeout is BS for the same reason. Just telling yourself that you kid turned out great without hitting leaves them as powerless parents who don't understand the value of a well placed swat on an unruly 2 year olds butt. it will be your grandkids who are the brats.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 05:10 PM

Tell ya what, nothing calms a place down faster than the sound of a pump-action 12 gauge.
Calms or clears?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post
Putting a kid in his room isn't being punished as he goes into his room when NOT punished.
Involuntary confinement is punishment. That's what our entire justice system is based on.

Of course, I'm sure I'm about to hear a gem on that.

deomacius
Senior User
Nov 7, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos View Post
Which is exactly the kind of thing we want to base our "values" around.

Fascism anybody?
Well, in your ideal world, lack of consequences may be enough to keep people in line. In the real world, however, people only stop doing things when there is a negative outcome. Sometimes not even then.

You reap what you sow.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 05:16 PM

In the real world, however, people only stop doing things when there is a negative outcome. Sometimes not even then.
Which is why some of us aren't completely sold on corporal punishment.

Rumor
Nov 7, 2006, 05:17 PM

Not even for $5?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 05:18 PM

Maybe for a klondike bar.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Not even for $5?
Sold.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 05:38 PM

Funny, you don't see the irony in your own signature:

You reap what you sow. X2

Funny, every child is different.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 05:39 PM

Maybe… you?

…Well, just fill me in on something, just WHO are the parents raising all the bad kids?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 05:40 PM

Calms or clears?
Calms and clears... clears the people who started the brawl, and calms the ones who didn't.
- Thomas Paine

Rumor
Nov 7, 2006, 05:41 PM

Maybe… you?
That's a bit rude.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 05:42 PM

Maybe… you?
Nope. I have no desire to raise children, especially not the way the world is now.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
That's a bit rude.
I'm used to it from them.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 05:44 PM

Involuntary confinement is punishment. That's what our entire justice system is based on.

Of course, I'm sure I'm about to hear a gem on that.
yeah, it doesn't work either.
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 05:46 PM

I'm used to it from them.
It's confirmation that whatever it is you're doing, you're doing it right.

They time to start worrying is when they stop being rude to you.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 05:48 PM

Time for canings?

Rumor
Nov 7, 2006, 05:49 PM

I'm partial to taring and feathering.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 05:52 PM

The next village over still has fully functional stocks.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 05:54 PM

Time for canings?
Occupatinal training for non-violent offenders, and hard labor for the violent ones. Breaking rocks for the duration of their sentence would be good, they'd be too tired to cause mischief.

If a bank robber goes to prison and breaks boulders for 10 years, he'll likely never rob a bank again.
- Thomas Paine

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 05:57 PM

Occupational training?

But I'm fine with rock breaking.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 05:58 PM

Anyone here actually have and love their children, and see them for the human beings they are: new people who make small mistakes that surely needed to be corrected without violence and conversed with like a real person?

So you're lumping people who don't hit their children with what you consider parents of a poorly-raised generation of children? That's called a logical fallacy.

OK, I guess we can see where this is going. Second motion.

Rumor
Nov 7, 2006, 06:02 PM

Anyone here actually have and love their children, and see them for the human beings they are: new people who make small mistakes that surely needed to be corrected without violence and conversed with like a real person?

So you're lumping people who don't hit their children with what you consider parents of a poorly-raised generation of children? That's called a logical fallacy.

OK, I guess we can see where this is going. Second motion.
Read my previous post about positive/negative reinforcement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules