Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Geforce4 Ti 4600 mac question - please help

Geforce4 Ti 4600 mac question - please help
dpicardi
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2006, 02:31 PM

Hello,

Can a Geforce4 Ti 4600 (mac version) natively support a 24 inch widescreen monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200?

In particular I'm looking at the Dell 24. Anyone know? How is the text? Crisp?

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor to a 24 inch widescreen and don't want to outpace my video card.

Thanks in advance for your help. I've looked and looked on the web but could not seem to find a definitive answer.

Apple's website says it can do 2048 x 1536...but that is not widescreen...

Dave

P
Oct 19, 2006, 11:28 AM

DVI or VGA?

dpicardi  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2006, 10:31 AM

Just heard back from Nvidia and here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care. The Geforce 4 Ti 4600 for Mac has a maximum analog resolution of 2048x1536 and a maximum digital resolution of 1920x1200. This means it will be able to support the Apple 24" Cinema Display however it will not support the Apple 30" Cinema Display."

So it looks like it should work. Which is good.

The next question becomes, how good does it look? It the test crisp? etc.

Anyone have experience here?

I saw on xlr8yourmac.com that years ago in OS 9 text was not that crisp. But Apple has updated the drivers several times since then.

Dave

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2006, 08:21 PM

I was using that card to drive my 23" apple Cinema display with my dual 1ghz g4 mdd. It looked great on my monitor with no problems at all.

dpicardi  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Phrogman View Post
I was using that card to drive my 23" apple Cinema display with my dual 1ghz g4 mdd. It looked great on my monitor with no problems at all.

What OS were you using at the time?

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post
What OS were you using at the time?
10.4.7.....I ordered a MacPro and 23" Cinema Display to replace my G4 and 17" ADC display. The 23" display shipped a month prior to my MacPro arriving, so I was using it with my G4. I was pleasantly suprised how well it worked. Native resolution was supported and it looked great.

my 2 cents.

dpicardi  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Phrogman View Post
10.4.7.....I ordered a MacPro and 23" Cinema Display to replace my G4 and 17" ADC display. The 23" display shipped a month prior to my MacPro arriving, so I was using it with my G4. I was pleasantly suprised how well it worked. Native resolution was supported and it looked great.

my 2 cents.

That's great news. Hopefully I'll be as successful with Dell's 24 inch model. I could not resist as it was on sale for less than $700 recently. (Plus it has dual inputs. I can't understand why Apple does not allow this. I wonder how many sales are lost to this? Anyway, Thank you.

Will post back here once it arrives in case anyone is interested.

Forum Links
Forum Rules