Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > US judge sentences US pedophile to probation in Canada

US judge sentences US pedophile to probation in Canada
Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2006, 11:38 PM

WTF?

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty lashed out at a U.S. judge for using Canada as a “dumping ground” for those convicted of sexual offences.

Mr. McGuinty told reporters Tuesday that it is up to the federal government to attempt to overturn an unusual punishment that will allow a teacher convicted of sexually abusing a 15-year-old student to serve his sentence in Canada.

Under a plea bargain approved yesterday by a New York state court, Malcolm Watson will spend the next three years on probation in Canada and enter the United States only to report to his probation officer. Mr. Watson, 35, has a wife and three children in Fort Erie, Ont. He is a U.S. citizen.

puppetswhokill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 11:41 PM

Kinda late on this aren't ya?

It's already been decided it ain't gonna happen.

War is peace. Wrong is right. Up is down.
Death is life. Lies are truth.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by puppetswhokill View Post
Kinda late on this aren't ya?

It's already been decided it ain't gonna happen.
Link? If true, that would be good. The article I posted was from today though.

I hope that judge gets reprimanded.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 25, 2006, 12:17 AM

Date and time the article was posted:
Posted AT 1:03 PM EDT ON 24/10/06

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 25, 2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Date and time the article was posted:
Thanks.

Less than half a day before I posted it.

Furthermore, I can't find any new article indicating the ruling has been reversed as puppetswhokill claims.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 04:44 PM

I don't see why this matters. He's still on probation through the US system, he's just allowed to live with his wife on the canadian side of the border. Odd, but not a huge matter. It's not like the judge sent him here for no reason at all.

*edit* I guess it will take canadian resources to monitor him though, that sucks.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 06:19 PM

What did he even do? The article says "sat in a car with a girl for two hours". Why the heck would that be illegal?

And if Canada does not want to have him then they should just revoke his visa. Just because a US judge allowed him to stay in Canada does not mean that Canadian authorities have to allow him that as well. I don't see the problem.

Your Mama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 09:06 PM

Another good idea down the drain

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
I don't see why this matters. He's still on probation through the US system, he's just allowed to live with his wife on the canadian side of the border. Odd, but not a huge matter. It's not like the judge sent him here for no reason at all.

*edit* I guess it will take canadian resources to monitor him though, that sucks.
He was going to be jailed in the US. So basically, going to Canada means he gets a get-of-jail-free card, and the US pretty much gets to wash its hands of him (besides the infrequent visits to the probation officer).

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
What did he even do? The article says "sat in a car with a girl for two hours". Why the heck would that be illegal?

And if Canada does not want to have him then they should just revoke his visa. Just because a US judge allowed him to stay in Canada does not mean that Canadian authorities have to allow him that as well. I don't see the problem.
Indeed, he should be deported then.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 05:06 PM

Exiled U.S. sex offender arrested by Canadian border guards

An American teacher exiled to Canada after he was convicted of sexually assaulting a student was arrested by Canadian border guards on Thursday.

If Ottawa bars him from entering Canada, his sentence will be declared null and void, and he will be forced to return to the U.S.
... and it's back to square one for his U.S. prosecutors. Did the American court not anticipate this?

Rumor
Oct 26, 2006, 05:15 PM

You would think that the US would have ok'd it with Canada.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by DBursey View Post
Exiled U.S. sex offender arrested by Canadian border guards
An American teacher exiled to Canada after he was convicted of sexually assaulting a student was arrested by Canadian border guards on Thursday.

If Ottawa bars him from entering Canada, his sentence will be declared null and void, and he will be forced to return to the U.S.
... and it's back to square one for his U.S. prosecutors. Did the American court not anticipate this?
Also:
Watson was ordered by the U.S. court to provide a DNA sample and is forbidden from re-entering the U.S., except for probation hearings.

Day said Thursday there was "clear language" in existing Canadian legislation that would render Watson inadmissible in the country.
Perhaps he can stand on the border on his toes for the next three years.

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 04:05 AM

What did the Canadian border police arrest him for? It doesn't say. I am wondering if it is legal under the Canadian system to arrest someone "just because"?
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
You would think that the US would have ok'd it with Canada.
HA! what planet are you from!

Forum Links
Forum Rules