Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gizmodo's 10 reasons to love XP

Gizmodo's 10 reasons to love XP
Rumor
Oct 27, 2006, 07:04 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 07:26 PM

What an unapologetic hatefest.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
HAHAHAH! This is pure crap. Its almost as if its a satire. Here are a couple of my favorites:

• Customizability
Sure prepackaged computers with Windows XP are great (and cheap, see next bullet-point). But what if you want to build your own? Windows makes it easy as hell. Feel like upgrading components? Still easy. Half the time XP already has the drivers. Boy, this new video card sure is swell! And don't even get me started on the awesome case mods that always accompany XP-powered machines.
LOL! "Easy as hell" LOL! "awesome case mods that always accompany XP-powered machines" LOL!

• Media Center
XP saw the addition of Windows Media Center edition. And hell, they have been doing it for years. The addition of MCE to the XP operating system saw the first steps of home entertainment and PC integration. What's that? iTV in a year? Oh, neat, if you like old ideas.
WTF? Is this guy on drugs or what?

• Piracy
Raise your hand if you have ever used a version of XP that wasn't exactly purchased. Windows Genuine Advantage has since hindered that possibility, somewhat, but still. XP helped kick start a generation of kids that do not pay for software with the help of P2P programs like BitTorrent, as of late. Free is always good.
Yeah, ease of piracy is a great feature. Way to go Microsoft! Now go ahead and spend tens of millions of dollars fighting piracy. You win!

Ok, its official, this guy is on drugs. Or is just plain stupid. Or both.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 07:29 PM

At times like this I like to quote Al Pacino in Devil'd Advocate: 'Consider the source'.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 08:27 PM

He's got a point about upgradeability.

Go to any computer store, buy any video card, and it's pretty much guaranteed to work in your PC.

hayesk
Oct 28, 2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post

Go to any computer store, buy any video card, and it's pretty much guaranteed to work in your PC.
I'd rather spend extra time and a little more money on a Mac compatible card that I know will work 100% of the time, than buying any old card for a PC that will work 90% of the time, or need driver patches depending on what system, etc.

memory-minus
Senior User
Oct 28, 2006, 10:46 AM

I don't bother Windows users about their choice of OS, why do they feel the need to try and explain themselves, justify their choice and bash Apple?

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2006, 11:34 AM

I dunno - that article read like satire to me. You sure he's being serious?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 11:39 AM

Mac apologists, meet Windows apologists!

The truth is that they're different and that's good because everybody has a unique preference.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2006, 11:54 AM

This is a website hit piece only.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 11:57 AM

I think this guy is so over the top (talking about hardware aspect way too often instead of just the OS offerings) that he must be sarcastic

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2006, 11:24 PM

Gizmodo usually love Macintoshes.... woves them even.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2006, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
I'd rather spend extra time and a little more money on a Mac compatible card that I know will work 100% of the time, than buying any old card for a PC that will work 90% of the time, or need driver patches depending on what system, etc.
With all of Apple's lineup except for the $2200+ Mac Pro, you can't get a Mac-compatible card at all, because there are no slots to put it in. So he's definitely got a point... if he's talking about the PC platform as a whole. I'm not sure what it has to do with XP, really.

I agree with the others, the impression I got when reading the article is that it felt like satire. If you look at those reasons, most of them don't have much to do with XP. And if that Piracy one was serious, I'll eat my hat. Which would be quite an impressive feat indeed, since I don't have one.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Helmling
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2006, 02:01 AM

Nothing is ever guaranteed to work in a PC.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2006, 02:47 AM

Got any actual evidence to back that claim up?

I work with hardware, and I can tell you right now that 90% of the peripheral hardware I deal with works right out of the box, and 100% of the time. The other 10% is usually DOA, as it's mostly review samples that I deal with.

There's no such thing as a video card that only "works 90% of the time". It either works reliably, or it doesn't. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Mac hardware is made anywhere but the same places that regular PC hardware is made.

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Nothing is ever guaranteed to work in a PC.
What a juvenile, Mac fan-boy comment.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2006, 03:30 AM

These apples vs. oranges arguments are so old, and so tiresome. How many years or decades have we been making these same sorts of arguments and counter-arguments now?

The Mac was designed to be a hardware/software integrated all-in-one solution, much like a Sun Solaris machine in this respect. Saying that the Mac won't work with X or Y video card like a PC running Windows will and blabbety blab blab is completely irrelevant. OS X was not designed to run on generic PC hardware, and while Apple hardware is comprised of pretty generic parts, the Mac is not designed to be as open of an architecture as a generic PC. Or one, the cases alone are designed with a different objective in mind - an iMac or Mac Mini is not designed so that you can easily swap and replace parts in and out of the case like you can a generic PC tower or Mac Pro.

The Mac is still a niche platform designed for a specific population, the generic PC is a different product altogether sharing several things in common, but designed for different needs and users.

If you want to have these sorts of platform debates, it's probably best to focus on some of the (non-intentional) fundamental design flaws and weaknesses. For one, Windows is simply not as flexible or capable as a Unix machine due to many proprietary binary formats, inconsistent handling of data, a poor security model, a weak command line environment, being provided from a single vendor, and having what I personally feel is a lacking GUI and user experience. All of these reasons are reasons why I don't use Windows and why I think it sucks (for me). If we are going to have a good old fashioned platform war, I think we'll move farther along debating these points rather than bickering about distinguishing and intentional differentiating characteristics in their design.
( Last edited by besson3c; Oct 29, 2006 at 03:46 AM. )

hayesk
Oct 29, 2006, 04:37 PM

I work with hardware, and I can tell you right now that 90% of the peripheral hardware I deal with works right out of the box, and 100% of the time. The other 10% is usually DOA, as it's mostly review samples that I deal with.

There's no such thing as a video card that only "works 90% of the time". It either works reliably, or it doesn't. Don't fool yourself into thinking that Mac hardware is made anywhere but the same places that regular PC hardware is made.
It's not the hardware - it's the driver compatibility. Several people I know purchased cards that worked fine in all but a few games. Then the game developer for those games had to release a patch for that card only. Note, I don't care whose fault it is. The fact is the PC owner had to go get an extra patch.

Another tried to connect two monitors to his PC, but then found out you couldn't do it because one of his video cards couldn't work alongside of the other.

Stuff like that happens on a Mac much less often, even taking marketshare into account.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2006, 05:43 PM

besson3c — you're right.

this is 2006 mah people: pick one that does the job for you and shut up already

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nebagakid View Post
I think this guy is so over the top (talking about hardware aspect way too often instead of just the OS offerings) that he must be sarcastic
I'm with ya.

XP helped kick start a generation of kids that do not pay for software with the help of P2P programs like BitTorrent, as of late. Free is always good.
I mean come ON.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 07:18 PM

It's not the hardware - it's the driver compatibility. Several people I know purchased cards that worked fine in all but a few games. Then the game developer for those games had to release a patch for that card only. Note, I don't care whose fault it is. The fact is the PC owner had to go get an extra patch.
Meh, happens on the mac as well. Sim City for example, on certain G5 + Nvidia 5200 combination Sim City would be completely unplayable. They patched it, and it became somewhat playable. It's not a PC only thing. And OSX has AFAIK full support for the 5200

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2006, 07:42 PM

Sure, you can buy a video card and put in any PC provided:

-You know what kind of slot you have (AGP, PCI, PCI-E)
-You have the right power supply (a lot of newer cards need 300W+)
-You are running the latest Windows (some cards have issues with older versions of Windows)

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 07:50 PM

• The Right Mouse Button
Sure, the competitor has been supporting the right mouse button for quite some time now, but they still neglect to include it in their packaged mice or touchpads on the laptops. XP has always supported the beloved right mouse button and always will. How else can you quickly steal images from the internet without the right mouse button?
What in the hell?...
Signature depreciated.

Strupat
Oct 29, 2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by memory-minus View Post
I don't bother Windows users about their choice of OS, why do they feel the need to try and explain themselves, justify their choice and bash Apple?
Ahahaha, you're saying this on the Apple fan-boy website.

Originally Posted by Dr Reducto View Post

-You are running the latest Windows (some cards have issues with older versions of Windows)
Are you trying to say that figuring out three criteria is too complicated? Hey, why not just throw your money at Apple so they can figure it out for you.

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
What in the hell?...
You know, that extra button on that thing that resembles your Apple mouse.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of things about what Apple makes. But this guy reminded me why I personally prefer to buy PCs.
( Last edited by Strupat; Oct 29, 2006 at 08:01 PM. )

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Strupat View Post
You know, that extra button on that thing that resembles your Apple mouse.
I know what the right button is but saying that Apple doesn't have a right button on the mighty mouse... Good god...
Signature depreciated.

Strupat
Oct 29, 2006, 08:13 PM

No, he actually said that 'the competitor' supports the right-button, but does not put it on their laptops or on the mice packaged with the desktop computers.

I understand people can order the Mighty Mouse for more money, but it is a valid point to say that many would prefer a right-button as standard.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 08:18 PM

No, he actually said that 'the competitor' supports the right-button, but does not put it on their laptops or on the mice packaged with the desktop computers.

I understand people can order the Mighty Mouse for more money, but it is a valid point to say that many would prefer a right-button as standard.
I see...
Signature depreciated.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2006, 08:25 PM

You might want to sit down for this: The Mighty Mouse does come standard.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

indigoimac
Senior User
Oct 29, 2006, 08:29 PM

I get a hoot out of the piracy thing, like I pay for crappy software on either Windows or Mac, and yes I will pay for it if it is good enough, but for the most part that isn't gonna happen on either platform. And wasn't bittorrent originally developed for linux, ha.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
I dunno - that article read like satire to me. You sure he's being serious?
That's what I thought as well. Can't be serious.

-t

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You might want to sit down for this: The Mighty Mouse does come standard.
Not for MacBooks or MacBook Pros.
Signature depreciated.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2006, 08:35 PM

Not for MacBooks or MacBook Pros.
I can unequivocally say that MacBooks do not come with a one-button mouse.
Chuck
___

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I can unequivocally say that MacBooks do not come with a one-button mouse.
And your right.
Signature depreciated.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2006, 01:40 AM

What a juvenile, Mac fan-boy comment.
Why? It's true. You buy a video card and (more often than I'd like to admit) the computer blue-screens as soon as you put a load on the card. You change the drivers, etc. and it won't help.

I've had a few times where I found that my ATI or nVidia video card wasn't compatible with my motherboard or chipset. (Or worse, a certain version of my motherboard ..) Then you return the card and take the restock fee hit ... buy a different model and hope for the best.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2006, 03:19 AM

Same issue on the Macintosh?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 30, 2006, 10:18 AM

Can someone remind me of whether or not Gizmodo ever had any credibility? This is like comparing rugby to Aussie rules football; they're similar but different, with different purposes and features and different reasons for going with each. Meh.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 30, 2006, 11:54 AM

In this article I agree with two things:

The two button mouse.
I have a MacBook, so I just use the trackpad, but I have it setup so when I two finger press on the pad, it does the same as ctrl+click. That's my solution to the right click

Upgradeablility.
I hate the fact that I cannot upgrade my Mac very much. It would be nice if Apple didn't soder things like the graphics card to the motherboard. If I could upgrade the CPU, and the graphics card, I would be perfect. RAM and HDD upgrades should be the minimum.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Why? It's true. You buy a video card and (more often than I'd like to admit) the computer blue-screens as soon as you put a load on the card. You change the drivers, etc. and it won't help.

I've had a few times where I found that my ATI or nVidia video card wasn't compatible with my motherboard or chipset. (Or worse, a certain version of my motherboard ..) Then you return the card and take the restock fee hit ... buy a different model and hope for the best.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, or you simply haven't bought a video card for a PC in the last 3 years. I think you should stick to letting Apple figure things out for you.

If your computer BSoDs when you put a load on the card, have you considered that perhaps your case or power supply suck? You know, common sense things like that ...

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2006, 03:49 PM

Windows works on pretty much 100% of PCs made today.

The Mac OS works on roughly 5% of PCs made today.

OK, maybe a few percent more than that. I managed to get OSX to run on a custom PC that I built. But I had to build one that mirrored a Apple product's hardware features. Which meant I had a peecee with last year's technology.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2006, 03:55 PM

I like to kid around with Windows users, but bashing them is so 1997, and I'm over it.

I just find it funny that their ~90% of the desktop world still insists on attacking our ~5%

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post

OK, maybe a few percent more than that. I managed to get OSX to run on a custom PC that I built. But I had to build one that mirrored a Apple product's hardware features. Which meant I had a peecee with last year's technology.
Which year was Woodcrest released, again?
Chuck
___

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2006, 06:36 PM

it's kinda like dog years.

In the desktop computer world - 3 months = 2 years.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2006, 07:03 PM

What many don't get is that these sorts of arguments are irrelevant. The Mac was not designed to run on more than 5% of PCs made today.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2006, 07:16 PM

it's kinda like dog years.

In the desktop computer world - 3 months = 2 years.
More like 1 month = 6 years with possible 8 core Mac Pros coming out.
Signature depreciated.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 01:56 AM

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, or you simply haven't bought a video card for a PC in the last 3 years. I think you should stick to letting Apple figure things out for you.

If your computer BSoDs when you put a load on the card, have you considered that perhaps your case or power supply suck? You know, common sense things like that ...

Thanks captain obvious .... I'm laughing because I've literally been doing this stuff since before you were born ....

I'm sincerely happy you've never had compatibility problems that were NOT related to the obvious. Your tech review articles on neoseeker are off to a good start for a young guy. (Suggestion: Reduce your use of the commma.)

Don't be so hostile ... It makes you come across as arrogant which I am sure you are not.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 02:10 AM

There is some truth to that... after all, what off-the-shelf-under-$150 choices do I have if I wanted to simply upgrade my gracefully aging G5/1.6 from the stock card that's in here now?

Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

hart
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 02:55 PM

I just realized I NEVER use the mouse that comes with a mac. I usually give them to the kiddies to destroy (their mouse life expectancy is very brief). I love all my other equipment but not the mice. I usually like to have 4 buttons but that's kind of geeky.

I've had to explain the concept of right-click and option-click to several mac users (non geek regular users) recently. They had no idea that it exists, certainly no idea that contextual menus are available. That seems to be an ergonomic/interface knowledge gap that may make usage harder for regular users.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 03:12 PM

More like 1 month = 6 years with possible 8 core Mac Pros coming out.
What are eight cores going to do when four cores aren't being utilized all that much by most tasks?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ambush
Banned
Oct 31, 2006, 03:20 PM

any journalist who uses "Hell" and "boy" seriously is dumb.

BUT, XP really is better than OSX at gaming.
Anyone who buys a Mac OS X machine for gaming is more dumb than the author of this article.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What are eight cores going to do when four cores aren't being utilized all that much by most tasks?
Kick back, relax, and watch the game?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I said possible not that it will happen. But your right...8 cores is stupid if most tasks can't utilize it... We need GHz Steve!
Signature depreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules