Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can anyone recommend any good math software? (graph theory)

Can anyone recommend any good math software? (graph theory)
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 02:20 PM

In my math class at school, my teacher recommends thiswindows app (the one called WinDisc). It is freeware written by one of his old colleagues, and it does EVERYTHING we need to do for the class (different algorithms, graph coloring, etc)...I have looked all around the web and cannot find any mac app even remotely similar. We use this program in school on the school computers, and it is techincally not required for home use, but without it I'm stuck doing literally a couple hours of more work.

Does anyone know a good graphing app that seems to have the same functions as WinDisc? Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 02:32 PM

OS X comes with a graphing program in the Utilities folder, in case you did not yet notice.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
OS X comes with a graphing program in the Utilities folder, in case you did not yet notice.

I can not believe I have had a mac for almost 3 years and have never noticed that. Well I can believe it because I never needed it before, but I should have been smart enough to check that before wasting so much time searching the web for it. Thank you so much tentenal!!! Off to mess around with the app.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 02:49 PM

...On second look this may not be exactly what I'm looking for. It's probably my fault because I didn't explain the functions I need. This app is great, and I'm glad you told me about it for future reference, but I need an app that allows me to make different verticies and edges, find the best path through a graph (map), use basic algorithms (Euler circuits/paths, Kruskal's algorithm, Prim's algorithm)...We are working on problems similar to the common traveling salesman problem.

Perhaps I did not look deep enough into Grapher, but it seems as if it's geared more towards actual graphing rather than map graphing, fastest routes, conflicts between edges, etc.

If anyone has the time, and a windows machine nearby, you can download the WinDisc file I linked and see exactly what I mean. Once again, thanks a lot guys.

hemant
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2006, 05:26 PM

Try to run WinDisc under wine/Darwine.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by hemant View Post
Try to run WinDisc under wine/Darwine.
...how would I do this?

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite