Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cheap FB RAM

Cheap FB RAM
thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2006, 12:50 AM

Did anyone ever buy from these guys? That seems dirt cheap for 2x1 GB.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 12:59 AM

Heard of them. Haven't bought from them. Looks like their pushing heat spreaders instead of heatsinks. While $369 is good, MaxUpgrades is selling Samsung FB-DIMMs with the big heatsinks for $399 last I checked. Not a big difference, if you ask me.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Markintosh_X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 09:57 AM

Found one on Ebay - 299 for 2GB. Comes with big heatsinks. Worked nice cople days - after this 2-3 times in day - Kernel Panic. Sent it back , going to try OWC.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2006, 10:13 PM

I bought my memory from here. Although it was only a 1GB (for a total of 2GB). The quality is quite good - large heat sinks that is.

I guess the question is 1GB I was getting page outs like crazy (almost a 4:1 page in : out ratio) but with 2 GB its about 40:1 ratio. Do you really need that much 4 GB of RAM? If so I would pay the extra and save yourself the time of returns/downtime. But from what I understand it a thing about diminishing returns.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

thebunny  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2006, 12:20 AM

I got another gig from OWC - $225. Memory Solutions sells for $195 but won't ship to Canada.

Corpsecorps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by TimmyDee51 View Post
While $369 is good, MaxUpgrades is selling Samsung FB-DIMMs with the big heatsinks for $399 last I checked. Not a big difference, if you ask me.
Have you... has anybody, tried the MaxUpgrades DIMMs with their "MaxSinks"?

Currently $385 which is the best i've seen for 2GB (2 x 1GB) with nice sinks and lifetime warranty.

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Corpsecorps View Post
Have you... has anybody, tried the MaxUpgrades DIMMs with their "MaxSinks"? Currently $385 which is the best i've seen for 2GB (2 x 1GB) with nice sinks and lifetime warranty.
Hey guys, just ordered a Mac Pro 2 x 1 GB MaxUp kit, and the fellow was nice enough to charge me $379. They are Samsung and will have stock Apple heat spreaders I've been told (why I wonder? MaxUp makes their own??? Who's to ask...)

Then again I was REALLY raging against Crucial in a conversation with him. I think he liked to hear that Did you see Crucial's "special" before Christmas??? 2 x 1 GB were selling for $402... NOW when I'm ready to buy it has JUMPED $130 to $532 !!! I thought it was a mistake on the website, so I called, and some SNOTTY young salesfemme in a whiney voice was spouting "supply and demand" as an excuse.

Crucial has lost my business, guess they feel they don't need it enough. I'll go with the underdog most everytime rather than the fatcat.

thebunny  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2006, 01:37 PM

MemorySolutions.com is cheaper: $368.89...

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Just got off the phone with them, MemorySolutions was not able [or willing?] to tell me who made their RAM. It was "generic from any number of up to 5 suppliers".

This is not very inspiring. I'll pay a bit more and get Samsung memory from MaxUp, not the "generic" from MemSol. I think most people will agree, the cheapest isn't the best solution and is especially risky with RAM...

thebunny  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2006, 04:53 PM

I think people here bought from them without any ill effects (not me though). Apple won't guarantee who made their RAM either, right? That's because both use more than one supplier.

Corpsecorps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I'd like the big sinks rather than spreaders. Something i dug up there seemed to indicate spreaders instead of the sinks in the image they use for all the kits.

thebunny  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2007, 02:19 PM

I'd like the big sinks rather than spreaders. Something i dug up there seemed to indicate spreaders instead of the sinks in the image they use for all the kits.
What did you dig up? There's a four or five page thread here about the memory for the Mac Pro and reports in there of people buying from Memory Solutions (again, not me). IIRC, they come with really nice heat sinks (more fins than Apple's and Crucial's). But by all means, buy wherever you want...

Corpsecorps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 04:44 PM

Can't find it now, whatever it was. After more checking around i'm going with Memory Solutions.

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2007, 08:23 PM

don't forget datamem. Their ram is great! [url=http://www.datamem.com]

Corpsecorps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 06:34 AM

Got my Mac/Memory Solutions 2 x 1 GB kit.

Got 3 quick Kernal Panics because somehow, in my reading i didn't catch that it's mandatory you put them in the first board and move the original 2 x 512 DIMMs to the second board.

Now all is great. Halo jumped up 20 fps faster.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 07:29 PM

Switching which boards the memory modules are on should not cause or cure kernel panics.

Corpsecorps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 12:33 AM

Shouldn't but did.

3 Kernal Panics in... probably less than 1/2 hour after installing the new RAM though there was nothing noted in profiler.

Even though i remembered stuff on various sites about advantages and disadvantages of position with different sizes and numbers of modules, i never read anything to indicate it shouldn't function with the 512's in A and the 1 gigs in B, but i thought i'd try switching anyway.

No Kernal Panics since, in either of the apps they occurred in before, or any other.

Maybe it was something to do with how the DIMMs were seated in their sockets, but i doubt it. I was very careful doing the installation.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 01:25 AM

Shouldn't but did.

3 Kernal Panics in... probably less than 1/2 hour after installing the new RAM though there was nothing noted in profiler.

Even though i remembered stuff on various sites about advantages and disadvantages of position with different sizes and numbers of modules, i never read anything to indicate it shouldn't function with the 512's in A and the 1 gigs in B, but i thought i'd try switching anyway.

No Kernal Panics since, in either of the apps they occurred in before, or any other.

Maybe it was something to do with how the DIMMs were seated in their sockets, but i doubt it. I was very careful doing the installation.
Heat can potentially cause a module to work its way out. Even just a bit can make the connections just flakey enough to cause errors.

I'm using a Mac Pro fan utility to boost the system fans from 900 RPM to 1100 RPM. Little noticeable noise increase but drops the temps by a good 5°C.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=1#post3157870

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2007, 10:21 AM

Got my Mac/Memory Solutions 2 x 1 GB kit.

Got 3 quick Kernal Panics because somehow, in my reading i didn't catch that it's mandatory you put them in the first board and move the original 2 x 512 DIMMs to the second board.

Now all is great. Halo jumped up 20 fps faster.
How the heck does game speed get faster after a RAM upgrade? Isn't the graphics run primarily from the video card using the card's VRAM? I think you're imagining things.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2007, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz View Post
How the heck does game speed get faster after a RAM upgrade? Isn't the graphics run primarily from the video card using the card's VRAM? I think you're imagining things.
For a gain like that, I'd assume his system was previously off in swapping la-la-land.

uruiamme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 11:30 PM

In case anyone still looking for cheap memory, I did a good amount of searching for RAM and decided one place had good prices on one memory combination. It happens to be the size I was willing to pay for -- the 2 x 1GB module kit. It's $349.99 from these guys: MCE Technologies and they give you free shipping. Not seen a better deal, when someone usually has this price, either they say nothing about Macintoshes and Mac Pros, or they say be sure and buy some heat spreaders, etc. These guys seem to deal in Apple stuff, so I tried them. So far the memory works, but only on the Mac OS side. It has nothing to do with where the memory was bought, but Windows only uses 2GB out of 3 GB. By the way, I installed mine in the top bay and moved the 2 x 512MB modules to the bottom board. I was actually going to try the other way around to see what happens, but haven't yet.

What brand are they using here? Don't know. They look similar enough to the Mac memory, that the spreaders are okay. I guess I could pull them out and look at the brand. Hmm. I wonder if I should power down first before doing th

Forum Links
Forum Rules