Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > linux+1400cs=revival

linux+1400cs=revival
fivell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2007, 10:07 PM

I am trying to breathe some new life into my good ol' 1400cs, and wondered if anyone has experimented with installing a version of Linux on one.
Yellow Dog has worked flawlessly on my iBook, but I am not sure if that would be the best choice for a 1400. Ubuntu maybe? Maybe Linux won't even install? Any thoughts are welcome.
Newton 2100, 1400CS, Lombard, Cube, PB867, iMac G5

cakey
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2007, 11:56 PM

You'd definately want something lite. Maybe xubuntu or Slackintosh. How much ram do you have?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2007, 09:40 AM

We have a whole forum dedicated to using something other than a Mac OS on a Mac. Moving to the Alternative OS forum...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

fivell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2007, 07:39 PM

I upgraded the RAM a while back to 64 MB. I know it isn't much but I don't think this model will take more.
I have heard of Slackintosh, but don't know much about it.
Newton 2100, 1400CS, Lombard, Cube, PB867, iMac G5

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2007, 09:08 PM

Isn't the 1400cs a NuBus-type PowerBook? See here: Linux/PPC for NuBus Power Macs

If so, then installing Linux may be a bit more involved than compared to installing Linux on more modern Macs/PowerBooks which use OpenFirmware and are not restricted to any particular ROM on the motherboard. (i hope i understood it correctly from the sources I've read).

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, however, as I'd like to install Linux on my 6100. But since I got a Sonnet G3 upgrade for it, it simply refuses to work with any distro of Linux...... (take out the Sonnet, and it works fine).

So, if you have a G3 card in your 1400, then it had better be from NewerTechnology/NuPower G3, and not Sonnet, as Sonnets just don't work well or don't work at all with Linux (yet..... or..... may never will).

If you don't have a G3 card, then all you need to do is follow the instructions for installing the MkLinux booter, associated 'ramdisk' and 'kernel' images in your Mac OS's System Folder, and then select any Linux distro that is designed for PowerPC's.......

I personally would recommend YellowDog because it was the only one I managed to get running and I only needed to burn ONE SINGLE CD. Not 7 or 14 CDs like some other distros (Fedora)... lol.

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

DrBunsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ View Post
I'd like to install Linux on my 6100. But since I got a Sonnet G3 upgrade for it, it simply refuses to work with any distro
I dug you up from a Google search after seeing your powermac6100 blog. In which you ask:
Why not make a "Hybrid Virtualization/Emulator Environment" (H-VEE).
as a way around this problem.

Just wondering if you've thought of using MachTen?

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2007, 03:09 AM

I responded to you via private message, but for whoever else is curious..... here's my response:

ugh.... cryptic text commands...

yeah, I tried it (MachTen) once on a classmate's computer, but it wasn't to my liking..... and besides the cost ($99's for software is too much for something this old), MachTen provides features I know I won't use. All I was looking for when I upgraded my 6100 was a way to make it a decent graphics, text, and web-browsing workstation to use when my faster and more powerful Windows PCs and laptops were occupied by other members of my family.
( Last edited by ©öñFü$íóÑ; Jul 27, 2007 at 12:43 PM. )

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Forum Links
Forum Rules