Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Educational Purchase Question

Educational Purchase Question
XSharp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 04:34 AM

Hi all, I have a question regarding purchasing a MacBook Pro using the educational discount. My question is, if I purchase a Mac through the edu store, is there any difference in the product, on either the hardware or the software end? When I start OS X will it say something to the effect of "Educational Version"? The reason I ask is because some Windows sofware does this. Am I getting exactly the same product as I would otherwise? Just curious.

Thanks.

willed
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 05:09 AM

As far as I know they're exactly the same product. You certainly don't get 'Education Edition' slapped across the startup screen or anything. My sister got an Ed iBook, and I think the only difference was the price, so go for it!

Oversoul
Senior User
Jun 13, 2007, 06:29 AM

You're getting the exact same product with regard to the MacBook Pro and the installed OS. No educational version etched on the computer or stamped across the software.

One caveat though, if you buy certain software using your educational discount you may be buying the academic version with their academic license, which contractually limits your terms of use.

XSharp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the replies, I might as well order the EDU version then and take advantage of my student discount.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2007, 04:23 PM

If you buy this as a student, then graduate, do you have to upgrade?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
No but if flunk out, they will make you pay!

Really, No you can usually only buy one system per year!

indigoimac
Senior User
Jun 13, 2007, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
No. Apple's EDU discount is just that, a discount. You are limited to how many machines of a certain type you can buy per academic year, but otherwise it's just like buying the machine retail. It is the exact same box, machine, os, everything...just cheaper. Software is more complex and is usually dealt with on a per title basis based on whatever agreements your school has with the vendor.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jun 13, 2007, 06:24 PM

As indigoimac said it's just a discount and nothing more. I used my college student discount to buy my Mac and there wasn't any "educational limitations" you are referring too. The educational versions you are talking about are software products that place artificial limitations on the software because it's an educational version. Those products will be clearly marked as so. Don't worry your MacBook Pro won't discriminate you because you are a student.

Xarthan
Jun 14, 2007, 01:01 PM

free printer and nano right now. good deal i say
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

Basu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2007, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Xarthan View Post
free printer and nano right now. good deal i say
Free printer? What free printer? I'm only aware of the free nano. (though I think I'll shell out $50 and get a 30GB iPod)

Forum Links
Forum Rules