Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I have WWDC Leopard... feel free to ask questions...

I have WWDC Leopard... feel free to ask questions... (Page 2)
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
Did they fix the analog clock in the menu-bar? meaning?
The menu-bar analog clock in Tiger is horribly off-center.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 05:40 PM

as this is the second time that I have come under attack by a mod on this board (unjustly I might add)
What? No moderator has posted in this thread.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
The forum has a rule on discussing pirated software in general. For other pieces of software, it's usually left alone because you don't know whether the poster actually has pirated the software or not. But for Leopard it's pretty clear. Either you're a developer, in which case you are under NDA, or you pirated it.

Either way I'm not a mod, but as far as I remember this sort of discussion has been frowned upon in the past. Talking about a leak by another party is generally permitted, but first hand discussion of pirated Leopard builds...
so you are not a Mod, you were generally being mean for what reason? to protect Apple? no one loves Apple more than I. <-- general comment so try not to jump on me about it.
so there are 2 scenarios that someone would come by this software correct?
"piracy" and "developer"
how is it that you define me, then jump on me as a "defender" of apple...
are you their lawyer?
do you work for them?
who are you to defend their honor?
see how it feels? not right.
now to the point. I have not broken any laws or any agreements.
I am a poster just like you, though I may not have as many stars, I am still a poster and would like the same respect that you seem to have given out to those people that are disclosing information left and right on the "official" leopard thread on this board.
to the real mods i apologize for confusing this person with you.
I have disclosed nothing period. there is a lot more information on the other topics.
I will ask you from "adult" to hopefully "adult" to just please do not bother me.
I do not and will not bother you.
When Leopard comes out I will shell out my hard earned cash for it like i have all of my other tons of apple hardware. I believe that you confuse a pirate (which i am not) with others...
I believe that a pirate is someone that attempts to circumvent the system by obtaining the software in hopes of profiting by sales or use or disclosing "secret" information...
I fit into none of those categories. any and all information here is readily available by tons of various websites...
maybe we should ask where they came by their software?
I guess my point is i really wish that people were nicer when labeling and attacking others. and no i am not 12. but other than the disrespectful element of that comment it does have a tad bit of humor...

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
off-center meaning? the area in the bar?
from the pictures that i have seen it is very similar to the current version.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
What? No moderator has posted in this thread.
i have admitted the mistake i made in the post below.
unfortunately i got swept up in the insults that were made about me.
again i apolgize to the mods for mistaking this high star level poster with a mod.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yep. The category of "things that are allowed." The only things the rules forbid are asking for help pirating something or offering to help others pirate things. People here have discussed prerelease operating systems since before OS X even came out.
i must agree here.
but then again, i have no opinion anymore.
for the record i will be going to the apple store to buy stuff this week.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
The forum has a rule on discussing pirated software in general.
Yes, that it's ALLOWED. I think you need to lurk a little more if you didn't notice the discussions of leaked builds for the last nine betas of OS X. Heck, here is a moderator asking for information from a blatantly pirated build of Leopard. Will you get off it now?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 06:04 PM

Yes, that it's ALLOWED. I think you need to lurk a little more if you didn't notice the discussions of leaked builds for the last nine betas of OS X. Heck, here is a moderator asking for information from a blatantly pirated build of Leopard. Will you get off it now?
thank you.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 06:50 PM

can we all chill out and get back to the Leopard Q&A?

mindwaves
Jun 26, 2007, 06:57 PM

Discussion of the features in pirated/pre release builds of OS X have been on these boards since 2000 as far as I remember. As long as you are not talking about pirating OS X, then it is OK in my books. However, I am not the moderator of the OS X forum.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Discussion of the features in pirated/pre release builds of OS X have been on these boards since 2000 as far as I remember. As long as you are not talking about pirating OS X, then it is OK in my books. However, I am not the moderator of the OS X forum.
Oreo is, and he's the moderator I linked to in the other thread. And the rules posted definitely don't forbid discussing the software, no matter how it was obtained, just helping or requesting help with piracy.
Chuck
___

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
can we all chill out and get back to the Leopard Q&A?
sure...

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
thank you...

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 07:14 PM

Oreo is, and he's the moderator I linked to in the other thread. And the rules posted definitely don't forbid discussing the software, no matter how it was obtained, just helping or requesting help with piracy.
sounds to be about right... now back to the Q&A...

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 07:16 PM

for the most part it is pretty stable...
finder crashes every now and again, but things are good other wise.

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2007, 07:44 PM

can you answer my stacks q? and also is the itunes-style finder interface cumbersome, or you prefer it?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 07:59 PM

ah ha.... i was looking at this the other day. it is odd.
i will check it for you shortly.
when those tracks are deleted, do they ever go away?
Now that we're back on track ...

It is an odd one. Usually when you delete in this way and select 'move to trash' as it is now called, the file goes to the trash but the trash doesn't register until you open it from the dock or restart. Empty Trash is disabled in Finder but you can do it with the keyboard shortcut and this actually works.

But recently I've found that when I delete a podcast in this manner, because the iTunes preference 'keep all unplayed episodes' just doesn't quite work right, it does not go to the trash, and presumably gets dealt with just like when it deletes them itself.

The different behaviours are also odd, with iPhoto having its own trash – probably preferable for iTunes over the trash not registering in os x, especially when it does in Windows and in os 9 .

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Where do you set the menu bar transparency?
You can't. I've looked everywhere and cannot find a place to change the menu bar transparency.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
Does iCal (finally) support recurring tasks (to-dos)?
No. You can only enter a "Due Date" like in Tiger.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by shinji View Post
How do you like stacks? Are they more convenient or just annoying?
I really like it. I put my Documents folder down there. One click shows all my sub-folders. A click on a sub-folder shows it's content, PREVIEW and all. Click a document to open it. VERY convenient.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 08:42 PM

Did they fix the analog clock in the menu-bar?
Looks fine to me in Leopard.

kilechki
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 08:45 PM

Can you select a few mp3 files with Quick Look and have them play continuously, without further intervention?

Has the "get info" window in Finder been enhanced? For instance by allowing "intelligent" tagging (autocompleting of spotlight tags)?

Does it still take a few minutes when doing a search in a finder window (ie : not through spotlight menu) to look for the "Other..." options in the menu?

Is there still a spinning wheel when a hard drive wakes up?

What happens when you click on the "pill", in the right-hand part of a Finder's window toolbar? Does it still switch between "spatial" and browser view?

thanks!

OreoCookie
Jun 26, 2007, 08:48 PM

Just to end this discussion about the legitimacy of this thread. Mindwaves and Chuckit have nailed our attitude: we do not accept threads on how to pirate software. If somebody wants to break his/her NDA at his/her own risk, it's his/her problem. However, I haven't heard that developers like him got into trouble for divulging some little pieces of information.

Back on topic, gentlemen.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Can you let me know if Front Row works in all machines?
Can it play DVD's?
With no DVD in the drive, there is no menu option in Front Row for DVDs. With a DVD in drive (or if you insert a DVD with Front Row open), a menu option for "DVD" appears in the Front Row menu. Click it, and the movie loads. During playback, pressing the "Menu" button on the Front Row remote takes you to the DVD menu. Pressing the "Menu" button again takes you to a screen with options to "Resume Playback", "Play from the Beginning", "Eject DVD" or go to "DVD Menu". Press "Menu" button again takes to the Front Row main menu.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 09:07 PM

Does QuickLook work on files in Stacks and in the File > Open window?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by kilechki View Post
Can you select a few mp3 files with Quick Look and have them play continuously, without further intervention?
Testing now. Interesting thing I noticed. I selected three MP3s and activated Quick Look. First song started playing. Came back to Safari and it PAUSED. Back to Finder, starts playing again. I'm going to do the same thing in a separate "Space" and see if the music continues while I go back to --this--- Space. No go. I don't have any Apps bound to a particular Space though. I'll have to let the songs play through to test this...

YES it works. In fact, I started playing the SECOND song and let it go for about 30 seconds. Then, I realized it was the second song so I hit "Previous" and started to play the FIRST song. Let it play through and then it automatically started the second song, but from the point I left it at. One caveat, if you move to any other application (besides the Finder) the music pauses until you return to the Finder.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 09:17 PM

can you answer my stacks q? and also is the itunes-style finder interface cumbersome, or you prefer it?
stacks is ok, coverflow i use alot and is very handy.
i love the new finder, but it really could be helped a lot by tabs...

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 09:22 PM

Has the "get info" window in Finder been enhanced? For instance by allowing "intelligent" tagging (autocompleting of spotlight tags)?
Doesn't seem to be "enhanced" as you described although the Permissions window is a little different.

Does it still take a few minutes when doing a search in a finder window (ie : not through spotlight menu) to look for the "Other..." options in the menu?
Not sure what you mean here by "Other..." options in the menu.

Nope.

What happens when you click on the "pill", in the right-hand part of a Finder's window toolbar? Does it still switch between "spatial" and browser view?
Clicking the "pill" in a Finder window removes the side bar and tool bar from the window so it's just a window showing the contents.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Does QuickLook work on files in Stacks and in the File > Open window?
No on both accounts.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
Now that we're back on track ...

It is an odd one. Usually when you delete in this way and select 'move to trash' as it is now called, the file goes to the trash but the trash doesn't register until you open it from the dock or restart. Empty Trash is disabled in Finder but you can do it with the keyboard shortcut and this actually works.

But recently I've found that when I delete a podcast in this manner, because the iTunes preference 'keep all unplayed episodes' just doesn't quite work right, it does not go to the trash, and presumably gets dealt with just like when it deletes them itself.

The different behaviours are also odd, with iPhoto having its own trash – probably preferable for iTunes over the trash not registering in os x, especially when it does in Windows and in os 9 .
i agree here. i tunes needs its own trash as well as a better way to administer it... thanks for answering that one...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 09:34 PM

I think the reason iTunes works the way it does is because it doesn't necessarily abstract the file structure. You can have iTunes totally manage your music, but you can also use have it reference files elsewhere on disk. iPhoto makes it nigh impossible to find photos after you've put them in, so it needs its own trash.
Chuck
___

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Just to end this discussion about the legitimacy of this thread. Mindwaves and Chuckit have nailed our attitude: we do not accept threads on how to pirate software. If somebody wants to break his/her NDA at his/her own risk, it's his/her problem. However, I haven't heard that developers like him got into trouble for divulging some little pieces of information.

Back on topic, gentlemen.
thank you...

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 10:27 PM

besides the hanging occasionally i am very impressed with the speed of Leopard even with all of the "pretty" stuff going on it is faster then tiger...

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 10:28 PM

one thing that Leopard does nice is the little overlays and such...
like in quicktime.
i think it is new. where basically you go full screen.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 11:00 PM

Can you provide some information on Dictionary.app? I read it now includes wikipedia support. Some screenshots would be sweet!

Also, are there any changes to column view in the Finder? Do the columns automatically resize, or do we have to still do it ourselves? Does it remember user-set column widths? And did they add any more sorting options in column view (sort by date etc.)?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 11:06 PM

I think the reason iTunes works the way it does is because it doesn't necessarily abstract the file structure. You can have iTunes totally manage your music, but you can also use have it reference files elsewhere on disk. iPhoto makes it nigh impossible to find photos after you've put them in, so it needs its own trash.
Good points. I've always found it annoying that iPhoto doesn't take photo titles inside it to be the filenames in Finder as well and have a similar album/photo directory system ... in fact the system it does use is impenetrable, what with the dates, thumbnails, etc. But it seems that Finder is taking on more of the role of iTunes/iPhoto in terms of metadata, and the idea of coverflow with photos is not half unappealing .

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
Can you provide some information on Dictionary.app? I read it now includes wikipedia support. Some screenshots would be sweet!

Also, are there any changes to column view in the Finder? Do the columns automatically resize, or do we have to still do it ourselves? Does it remember user-set column widths? And did they add any more sorting options in column view (sort by date etc.)?
In column view you can arrange by Date Modified and Date Created.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 11:27 PM

Yes.

Nope. It does add a Time Machine section where you can see if and when it was last backed up and a checkbox to make it not back up.

No. It took about two seconds though on my Mac Pro.

Yes, but only briefly.

Same as ever.

thanks!
No worries.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 11:32 PM

i will admit stacks look cool.
but they are not that functional to me...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 11:34 PM

Stacks are amazing, the new Finder interface is awesome. CoverFlow + QuickLook is the best thing to happen to file navigation since MultiFinder

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 11:55 PM

i will admit stacks look cool.
but they are not that functional to me...

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 12:23 AM

I've heard reports that iChat now natively supports GTalk, without having to muddle around with Jabber. Can you confirm or deny?

And if you're really feeling adventurous, can you tell me if my program Paintbrush runs in Leopard? I'd like to support Leopard ASAP, but don't have access to the beta for testing.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
And if you're really feeling adventurous, can you tell me if my program Paintbrush runs in Leopard? I'd like to support Leopard ASAP, but don't have access to the beta for testing.

PaperNotes
Jun 27, 2007, 12:54 AM

Some observations.

-Leopard is still in beta and that is obvious because it still lacks polish. Animations aren't completely fluid, apps crash and I have had a kernal panic when surfing.

-Safari 3 is faster on Leopard than Tiger.

-Wikipedia and Thesaurus in Dictionary.app. Shouldn't the app's name change?

-Creating a stack doesn't always create live thumbnail previews of some image formats especially screen captures in png format.

-Preview.app makes images look blurry.

-Trash doesn't empty sometimes.

-Two finger right-click now works on all PowerBooks that support two finger scroll.

-Can't find an option to disable menu bar translucency. It is really ugly if you use a wallpaper with a pattern. Do you think a menu bar should ever have to be punished this way . . .

Where's the alleged setting to turn translucency off?

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 02:01 AM

Wow, amazed they have added new options to column view (but no auto resizing or better way to display long file names is crazy in my opinion).

The Dictionary looks even more handy with the Wikipedia section (but what is the 'Apple' section for?). It's always had the Thesaurus section, and the name can probably stay because, according to it's own definition of itself:

dictionary |ˈdik sh əˌnerē| (abbr.: dict.)
noun ( pl. -aries)
a book that lists the words of a language in alphabetical order and gives their meaning, or that gives the equivalent words in a different language.
a reference book on any subject, the items of which are arranged in alphabetical order : a dictionary of quotations.

For the menubar: Many Tricks � Web Log to make it opaque again.

PaperNotes
Jun 27, 2007, 08:33 AM

How awesome is VLC's temp icon on a 3D dock?

The shadows cast by Word and Stickies are awful.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
The shadows cast by Word and Stickies are awful.
They need to chill those shadows out a bit, it looks like a bevel on the word icon which destroys the 3D effect.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 08:57 AM

Put more icons in your dock. The smaller the icons get, the nicer they look

PaperNotes
Jun 27, 2007, 09:07 AM

I like my icons large! My Dock is auto-hidden anyway.

I'm a little disappointed in Alex (the voice). He doesn't sound as good as when he was first demo'd last year. He's more robotic. He can't pronounce non-English words like 'monsieur' either.

Also, if you create a stack out of many files or a folder with many files in it, the pop up window looks ugly with very badly truncated filenames.

QuickLook is proving very nice indeed although graphically a little rough around the edges. It works great for Quicktime movies. My annoyance is that QuickLook stops playing a movie or music track once you click on something else or another application.

Another thing, if you use a desktop wallpaper with a bright pastel color or grey, the Dock is too hard to see against the background. they should have made the Dock shiny black just like the navigation bar in Time Machine. A haxie for this can't come soon enough.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Put more icons in your dock. The smaller the icons get, the nicer they look
for some odd reason i like the big icons...

Forum Links
Forum Rules