Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Imac Displays - Are they really glossy?

New Imac Displays - Are they really glossy? (Page 2)
rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yeah, that'll certainly happen because all along you knew the bare truth and everybody that had another opinion was just outright delusional. I'm so glad we have you here to tell us how it really is.
Delusional goes with the territory and the delusion changes on cue.

Pardon me saying this, but the need to believe is a very strong American trait. It is what makes many of you such determined consumers and discarders of products/politics/religion when the "new truth" is "revealed" in the next cycle.

I'm a trained architect and designer, not that that makes me special, but I do understand the principles of lighting and have seen plenty of the latest iMacs in widely varying lighting set-ups.

Individuals may be able to reduce the effects of glare in various circumstances but a shiny object remains shiny. Individuals may also ignore the obvious if they are predisposed to and I guess for them it is "problem does not exist".
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Eug, can you describe why mornings are bad for glare? Do you have a lot of light sources or something? I'm realizing that having my iMac in a corner makes it far less susceptible to reflections because my left side is pretty much next to a wall that doesn't face a window. If you're having a lot of glare and stuff at a particular time of day, that sounds like you have a bunch of eastward-facing windows or something.
I have my back to a window in my office. In the morning the light seeps in, and causes major glare on a glossy screen. Matte screens are much better at this time of the day. I had an iMac G5 and a CD MacBook side by side, and the difference was astounding.

However, like I said, most of the time the glossy MacBook is relatively OK. In the afternoon, I no longer suffer this problem.

BTW, the new iMac in the Apple Store I was at the other day really showed a lot of glare.

Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2007, 10:14 PM

I'm finally gathering up enough money for the new iMac, and I think it will be fine for me, I'm just moving my desk so I don't have my back to windows. Back in the PC days, I had a CRT with glass over it to make it "flatscreen" and you could not see the screen when the light streamed in around 11:00.

Macvoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2007, 03:28 AM

I have both screens. A 23" ACD and now a 24" iMac. (see my other posts) I use both. Sure, when the screen is off you will probably see a glare. Once the comupter is on, you will wonder what all the fuss is about. I am new to this web site and during the last month I was concerned with all I read regarding glossy screens. I finally bought the new appliance. All is fine.

There is so much talk about professionals not using this iMac. Well, I can tell you first hand, come to Los Angeles, and you will see many "professionals" using the new iMac. I don't work in post production, so rendering et al, may be the exception in relation to processing speed.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2007, 02:31 PM

I find funny than a prestigious American design-oriented magazine mentioned on a recent issue than the workspace of future shall sport special anti-glare windows to avoid reflections on computer screens… maybe they fall into the group Apple asked about glossy or not…

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Macvoid View Post
I have both screens. A 23" ACD and now a 24" iMac. (see my other posts) I use both. Sure, when the screen is off you will probably see a glare. Once the comupter is on, you will wonder what all the fuss is about. I am new to this web site and during the last month I was concerned with all I read regarding glossy screens. I finally bought the new appliance. All is fine.

There is so much talk about professionals not using this iMac. Well, I can tell you first hand, come to Los Angeles, and you will see many "professionals" using the new iMac. I don't work in post production, so rendering et al, may be the exception in relation to processing speed.
The ambient lighting in a room makes a huge difference.

Light sources in specific spots may not good for either matte screens or glossy screens, but the effect can be much worse for glossy screens.

Like I said, at certain times of the day, the glare on my MacBook is VERY distracting, but at other times of the day I barely notice it.

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2007, 11:17 PM

Air conditioning engineers have a wonderful, if ironic, saying:

If you have your feet in a bucket of ice and your head in an oven, on average you are comfortable.
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 11:05 PM

a friend, a 'successful' artist, called me today, asked me about the new imacs.
i told him to go check them out himself (rather than ranting about the glossy screen... )

he went to the OTHER apple store in nyc, and...hated it. he said the applestore employee who helped him said a lot of people have complained about the screen... much like what i reported here on the forum when i looked at the imacs last week.

he's buying a refurbished white imac.

i hope apple is getting enough feedback about this, and will do something with the next revision..

meanwhile, all of you enjoying your imac as is... if you're happy, i'm happy for you...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 11:36 AM

thats what all the fuss is about.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post

thats what all the fuss is about.
lol....what??? is that supposed to be a 'reflection' of your keyboard? photoshop RULES!

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 12:17 PM

its a regular photo, unaltered (other than the red circle), and posted by another user (joel_v) in the imac picture thread.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...imac/iMac1.jpg

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2007, 12:26 PM

Man, some people need to improve their photoshop skills...

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2007, 12:29 PM

I for one almost always look at my display pretty much straight on, so iREZ's extreme angle reflection would never present itself to me... But yes, it's there and it is indeed a potential distraction-if you're sitting that far off the main axis of the display. On the other hand, I don't see any drop off or color alterations at that angle. That usually indicates that the panel is of high quality.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 12:30 PM

there are 500 reasons why that photo is ridiculous...
the angle of the reflection for one.

i HATE the new glossy screen, but not enough to make a picture like that

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2007, 12:45 PM

i love my new glossy screen

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
Man, some people need to improve their photoshop skills...
get lost noob, i didnt "make" any photo. sure nobody uses their computers at angles like these but this shows the amount of reflection the glossy screen is capable of. i couldve posted this right after the posted image in the picture thread but decided not to seeing how this is the thread discussing gloss issues on the new imacs.

THIS IS NOT MY COMPUTER NOR DO I KNOW JOEL_V, THIS WAS TAKEN STRAIGHT OFF THE NET AND CIRCLED TO SHOW THE ISSUE SOME USERS HAVE WITH THE NEW SCREEN AND TO HELP ENLIGHTEN THE OP HOW GLOSSY IT CAN BE
( Last edited by iREZ; Sep 18, 2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: bashing another member for no reason, sorry fisherking...i got heated over nothing)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 12:55 PM

get lost noob, and fisherking are you drunk? i didnt "make" any photo. sure nobody uses their computers at angles like these but this shows the amount of reflection the glossy screen is capable of. i couldve posted this right after the posted image in the picture thread but decided not to seeing how this is the thread discussing gloss issues on the new imacs.

THIS IS NOT MY COMPUTER NOR DO I KNOW JOEL_V, THIS WAS TAKEN STRAIGHT OFF THE NET AND CIRCLED TO SHOW THE ISSUE SOME USERS HAVE WITH THE NEW SCREEN AND TO HELP ENLIGHTEN THE OP HOW GLOSSY IT CAN BE
irez, no disrespect meant. whoever did the original picture, just looks wrong (angles, etc).
since i don't like the glossy screen, am on your side...just think the picture is faked.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 01:01 PM

joel_v didnt just post this one, he posted many images and another shows reflection as well although not this blatent. he wasn't trying to show the glare either, he was showing off his pretty nice computer setup at home along with his macbook, i don't see why you guys think this is fake...i could replicate a same kind of reflection with my cousins imac in a second (theyre really that glossy). as for the the angles they're just right if you pay attention, guy even mentioned that he'll offer a high resolution image to anybody who wants to see them upclose.

here's the thread if you dont belive me...hes the first dude posting too

http://forums.macnn.com/58/imac-emac...imac-setup/24/

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 01:08 PM

joel_v didnt just post this one, he posted many images and another shows reflection as well although not this blatent. he wasn't trying to show the glare either, he was showing off his pretty nice computer setup at home along with his macbook, i don't see why you guys think this is fake...i could replicate a same kind of reflection with my cousins imac in a second (theyre really that glossy). as for the the angles they're just right if you pay attention, guy even mentioned that he'll offer a high resolution image to anybody who wants to see them upclose.

here's the thread if you dont belive me...hes the first dude posting too

http://forums.macnn.com/58/imac-emac...imac-setup/24/
well, it's really just more fuel for the fire...i really hope apple gets the idea, that, for some of us, the glossy screen is NOT OKAY...

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 01:13 PM

i'm with you an option for those who want glossy to get glossy and for those who want matte to get matte.

/end rant

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2007, 01:46 PM

On the other hand, I don't see any drop off or color alterations at that angle. That usually indicates that the panel is of high quality.
I noticed that as well. The reflection at that angle wouldn't bother me at all. The fact that the colors are still so good at that angle is pretty impressive though.
•

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
irez, no disrespect meant. whoever did the original picture, just looks wrong (angles, etc).
since i don't like the glossy screen, am on your side...just think the picture is faked.
Actually the picture looks quite genuine. Note that the speaker is also reflected, giving a distinct shape to that end of the reflection, and that the keyboard in the reflection IS properly reflected. Yes it IS real in my opinion. No argument there.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2007, 03:43 PM

Even if the photo is faked, it's a pretty accurate representation of what glossy screens look like from that angle.

Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 04:04 PM

Note that the actual keyboard is out of focus, while the reflection is in focus. This leads me to believe it is real, because the reflection would be at the same focus as the screen, while the actual object would not.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 05:05 PM

you could also see the mighty mouse and something else im not sure of in this photo of the same setup. judging by the lack of shadow behind the objects with lots of space behind them, this room looks lit like anybody else's room would, but maybe not.

edit: now that i look carefully, it looks like the number pad and edge of the table.

experimental
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 08:18 AM

I harmlessly waltzed into Yamada Denki the other day (big electronics shop in Tokyo) with iMac in mind. On the way out I had to walk past some new Toshiba and Sony Flat panel TV's. They are using anti glare (reflective) glass, second generation, fantastic. Next iMac will have this, or should have it. OK folks, rally up and get emailing Apple for this futursistic and incredible fix to our issues.

btw, I was reading software titles reflected in the iMac screen and later started seeing red and green dots while looking intensley at the logo.

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by experimental View Post
I harmlessly waltzed into Yamada Denki the other day (big electronics shop in Tokyo) with iMac in mind. On the way out I had to walk past some new Toshiba and Sony Flat panel TV's. They are using anti glare (reflective) glass, second generation, fantastic. Next iMac will have this, or should have it. OK folks, rally up and get emailing Apple for this futursistic and incredible fix to our issues.

btw, I was reading software titles reflected in the iMac screen and later started seeing red and green dots while looking intensley at the logo.
Anti-glare glass? That sounds promising, yet contradicting in nature. Can you name any specific models or websites so we can check it out?

Thanks

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 20, 2007, 12:46 PM

Actually the picture looks quite genuine. Note that the speaker is also reflected, giving a distinct shape to that end of the reflection, and that the keyboard in the reflection IS properly reflected. Yes it IS real in my opinion. No argument there.
I don't think a lot of these people realize that there are two keyboards in that picture, and the reflection on the screen is clearly of the old Apple keyboard on the left edge. You can see the black cable that goes by it. The angle of reflection is perfect.

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 05:40 PM

get lost noob, i didnt "make" any photo. sure nobody uses their computers at angles like these but this shows the amount of reflection the glossy screen is capable of. i couldve posted this right after the posted image in the picture thread but decided not to seeing how this is the thread discussing gloss issues on the new imacs.

"get lost noob?"

In your edit you say sorry to fisherking. I think I deserve an apology for this stupid attack of yours. I never implied that you "maked" the photo, since it's not a photo you took. I don't care who took it or uploaded or how it ended up to you. To me it seems a fake and I am free to believe that.

I thought people in this forum were civilized human beings, but maybe I was wrong.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 06:48 PM

civilized human beings would take another look before posting such an asinine comment after 5 sec of looking, ANYBODY in this forum could tell this is not a fraud but a normal picture...ESPECIALLY after i mentioned that it wasnt my photo to begin with. i'll stick with my statement.

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 06:53 PM

civilized human beings would take another look before posting such an asinine comment after 5 sec of looking, ANYBODY in this forum could tell this is not a fraud but a normal picture...ESPECIALLY after i mentioned that it wasnt my photo to begin with. i'll stick with my statement.
I won't spend any more energy to deal with shcoolboys that go to forums and tell people "get lost noob".

Stick with whatever you like.

Over and out.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2007, 07:17 PM

I have no problems with my glossy screen. I at times can see some reflections, but nothing too disturbing.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
I won't spend any more energy to deal with shcoolboys that go to forums and tell people "get lost noob".

Stick with whatever you like.

Over and out.
and i wont spend time with people who cant spell schoolboys properly and think they're playing some sort of police walkie-talkie game....wait, i just did well after this post i wont.

sorry for this mods and members, it's the last you'll hear from me about pk1.

Macvoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 03:04 AM

I have had my iMac for almost a month. I have been fortunate not to experience reflection problems. I have no overhead lighting, so once it is on, there are no reflection issues. However, I have seen reflection distraction at the Apple Store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules