Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > And I thought I had it good...

And I thought I had it good... (Page 3)
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 05:41 PM

"I have a problem with Porsches. They're wonderful cars, but I know I could never live with one. Somehow, the typical Porsche people — and I wish them no ill — are not, I feel, my kind of people. I don't go around saying that Porsches are a pile of dung, but I do know that psychologically I couldn't handle owning one."
- Rowan Atkinson.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 05:41 PM

my parents bought my a Range Rover for my 20th birthday ... its all about relativity.
we don't have time to stop for gas

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
my parents bought my a Range Rover for my 20th birthday ... its all about relativity.
But the question is did you whine when someone else got a car whom you didn't think deserved such a gift

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
One can only assume that you consider South Carolina a country unto itself.
Ever been there? It's quite a unique place.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
It's pronounced "PORSH-uh."
Yes. I hate it when people say "Porsh."

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
But the question is did you whine when someone else got a car whom you didn't think deserved such a gift?
There you go. This is a lot better than repeating myself. May I point out that in the original post, my quarrel wasn't with the kid, but with the parents? Really, even if he had the best grades ever, how many kids should have a car that can go 160 mph easy? Can you imagine insuring him and how much that would be? It's $130 a month for me in my Accord? And yes, I know that everyone will say it's all relative. 160 mph isn't fast for everyone.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Really, even if he had the best grades ever, how many kids should have a car that can go 160 mph easy?
*cough*

You have to thrape the knackers off an early Boxster (downhill with a tailwind and drafting a Lambo) to get 'em to go that fast.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2007, 07:24 PM

Agreed. If that can do 140, I'd be impressed. It's barely more than a souped up Miata.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2007, 08:16 PM

It's the entry level Porsche and the Porsche for women. (Never the less it's still a Porsche and thus attracts attention - like this thread for instance)

Idiot + Porsche (it's really not that difficult an equation)

Of course I'm a Corvette fan.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2007, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler McAdams View Post
It's the entry level Porsche and the Porsche for women. (Never the less it's still a Porsche and thus attracts attention - like this thread for instance)

Idiot + Porsche (it's really not that difficult an equation)

Of course I'm a Corvette fan.
How is this a car for women? I'm a woman and think the car is ugly. In fact, I do not know of any women who'd like this car. I know of no one regardless of gender who likes this car. A 944 or 911 is much more attractive.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
How is this a car for women? I'm a woman and think the car is ugly. In fact, I do not know of any women who'd like this car. I know of no one regardless of gender who likes this car. A 944 or 911 is much more attractive.
Well to quote Shaddim: "It's barely more than a souped up Miata" I've seen many a woman driving Boxsters in the US. Usually given to them by their husbands. I assure you it's a reliable stat. I can count about 3 on my block alone. Now weather they'd rather have a 911 or if they even like the car I don't know. I know I'd rather have a 911 Turbo... but it's 126K and I'm just not that rich sadly.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 09:05 PM

You nincompoop. You complete and utter fool.

"Xenophobia" stems from Greek roots literally meaning "fear of the OUTSIDE" and denotes irrational fear of FOREIGNERS.
One can only assume that you consider South Carolina a country unto itself.

You didn't even bother to look it up AFTER I prodded you, and instead launched into a ridiculous and inane string of worthless blather.

That's amazing.
You totally ignored my post, and posted yet another baseless character assassination.

Is that all you have analog? It seems all you ever do anymore. Do I have to post the definition of verge again?

I have a history here of admitting when I was wrong. I can point to multiple sources of such instances. You however have a history of not doing so. But launching defensive character assassinations instead.

Still the same old school Spheric.

BTW to post the definition

xen·o·pho·bi·a [zen-uh-foh-bee-uh, zee-nuh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.

So no, it doesn't just mean people in a foreign land. Not that it has anything to do with my post. I never said what he said was xenophobic. I said it VERGED on it.

The fact you are even ATTACKING anyone over something so inane says more about you than I Analog. These little outbursts of yours does more harm to your rep than mine.
( Last edited by Kevin; Dec 2, 2007 at 09:19 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 09:08 PM

No it's Americans with lots of money who think they're clever that cause my fear. Like ones who use big words they don't quite understand...
I understood it. Some people didn't understand what verge means. Or didn't see it in my post and knee-jerked, then spazzed out when it was explained.

Being on the VERGE of something means not quite being that. But close to it. I specifically used the word VERGE as I did not think it entirely fit said definition.

And if you guys are done knee-jerking we can go back to our regularly scheduled programming.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
I also know (or rather my mom knows) women who think Hummers are ugly, but they drive one anyway as a status symbol.

IMO, it's a bad status symbol that just shows that you can afford to fill up the beast with gas.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I understood it. Some people didn't understand what verge means. Or didn't see it in my post and knee-jerked, then spazzed out when it was explained.

Being on the VERGE of something means not quite being that. But close to it. I specifically used the word VERGE as I did not think it entirely fit said definition.

And if you guys are done knee-jerking we can go back to our regularly scheduled programming.
It's ok... you make sense... In a South Carolina, Myrtle beach, Biker Week sort of way.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 09:24 PM

It's ok... you make sense... In a South Carolina, Myrtle beach, Biker Week sort of way.
That made no sense. Unless it was a condescending remark against those that go to Myrtle Beach, and or biker week. And if that was the case, then your first comment makes even more sense.

Never been to Biker week, but I've been to M.B. It's not the most classy resort. But it's full of Nostalgic memories of time past. Too bad about the Pavilion.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 09:27 PM

Like you're not being condescending either, Kevin. Even though that is too.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 09:29 PM

don't say i didn't warn ya

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 09:31 PM

Don't worry, I won't. After this thread, I'm ready for anything.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 09:32 PM

Like you're not being condescending either, Kevin. Even though that is too.
Was I being condescending in my reply to analog? Sure. It just gets annoying after awhile. I wish he'd actually take the time to read my posts before knee-jerking and going for the jugular. Why he even does that in the first place is beyond me. Well not really. But it has nothing to do with this thread.

But then again attacks like those above come out from nowhere. Just like the attacks on you in this thread.
Don't worry, I won't. After this thread, I'm ready for anything.
Oh, be ready for the people you argued against in here to follow you around and attack you for the most inane things then.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2007, 09:32 PM

I also know (or rather my mom knows) women who think Hummers are ugly, but they drive one anyway as a status symbol.

IMO, it's a bad status symbol that just shows that you can afford to fill up the beast with gas.
True. I'll never understand it.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 09:34 PM

Was I being condescending in my reply to analog? Sure. It just gets annoying after awhile. I wish he'd actually take the time to read my posts before knee-jerking and going for the jugular. Why he even does that in the first place is beyond me. Well not really. But it has nothing to do with this thread.

But then again attacks like those above come out from nowhere. Just like the attacks on you in this thread.

Oh, be ready for the people you argued against in here to follow you around and attack you for the most inane things then.
It does seem like most "contributors" in this thread aren't reading anything. Or all of the threads in the Lounge.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2007, 09:37 PM

That made no sense. Unless it was a condescending remark against those that go to Myrtle Beach, and or biker week. And if that was the case, then your first comment makes even more sense.

Never been to Biker week, but I've been to M.B. It's not the most classy resort. But it's full of Nostalgic memories of time past. Too bad about the Pavilion.
To clear thing's up I feel not on the verge of xenophobia... rather that other countries that I have little or less knowledge about, like Germany, have given me no room for perspective or to be more careful, no right to comment. I wouldn't want to start an international incident right here on MacNN after all.

As for Myrtle Beach I stick to the golf. Can't go wrong there.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 09:37 PM

It does seem like most "contributors" in this thread aren't reading anything. Or all of the threads in the Lounge.
Those that are miserable often aren't happy unless those around them are as miserable as they are. You'll often seen these people attack those that seem happy with their life, or content.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 09:41 PM

As for Myrtle Beach I stick to the golf. Can't go wrong there.
Don't Golf. I just enjoy the nostalgia. I'll probably head down there this summer with Bekah. I haven't been since 1993?

I actually cried when the tore down the old Dracula's castle because of the fires.

Most of the good old "dark rides" or "haunted houses" in the US have gone.

I heard Niagra Falls was trying to capitalize on that nostalgic 70s/80s boardwalk look now. I might head up there again one of these days.

I made a thread about M.B. not too long ago actually.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 09:42 PM

That's one nice thing here in the Springs or Denver. They have a ton of great haunted houses and mines.

skacoreimplore
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2007, 11:10 PM

There you go. This is a lot better than repeating myself. May I point out that in the original post, my quarrel wasn't with the kid, but with the parents? Really, even if he had the best grades ever, how many kids should have a car that can go 160 mph easy? Can you imagine insuring him and how much that would be? It's $130 a month for me in my Accord? And yes, I know that everyone will say it's all relative. 160 mph isn't fast for everyone.
My insurance is $245, I am 18. His is probably more than mine is.
Macbook Pro 15" / C2D 2.2 / 2GB / 120GB
16 GB iPod touch

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 11:11 PM

heh, would be funny if the kid happens to find this thread

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 11:15 PM

That's one nice thing here in the Springs or Denver. They have a ton of great haunted houses and mines.
Well Point Pleasant WV is about 1/2 hour from me. I haven't been since the Mothman movie came out. I just recently heard about a lot of them in Ohio during Halloween season..

We have a "haunted tour" in our city but it's really lame.

I miss those old cheesy wax museums and dark rides.

Awesome site

Dark in the Park

It doesn't have the old Castle Dracula in Myrtle Beach listed there but still. You get the idea.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
heh, would be funny if the kid happens to find this thread
He's a huge Alienware fan, so it's unlikely. But that would be funny.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 03:47 AM

Yes. I hate it when people say "Porsh."
Unless you're pronouncing it German "Poah-shuh", you're saying it wrong, too.

(nobody gives a ****)

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2007, 04:12 AM

Lemme tell you something. I've never learned very much about the different types of cars and which ones are better and which are worse. I looked at that picture, and I didn't even know which one the Porsche was. That's right. I didn't know what a Porsche looked like, because I never was really interested in cars at all.

But honestly, I couldn't tell which car was the "better" one. In fact, I personally chose your car as the one i'd want, before asking someone which one the Porsche is.

It's just a brainwash. Does that make you feel better? There's no reason to be jealous. Your car is just as good as his.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2007, 04:42 AM

^ good example of someone not reading the thread

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 04:50 AM

So if somebody who knows zip about cars can't tell which one is better just by glancing at them for two seconds, that means there's no difference between them? That's kind of strange logic.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 08:22 AM

Unless you're pronouncing it German "Poah-shuh", you're saying it wrong, too.
Also incorrect. The correct pronunciation is:

"PoooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOah-shuh"

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
Lemme tell you something. I've never learned very much about the different types of cars and which ones are better and which are worse. I looked at that picture, and I didn't even know which one the Porsche was. That's right. I didn't know what a Porsche looked like, because I never was really interested in cars at all.

But honestly, I couldn't tell which car was the "better" one. In fact, I personally chose your car as the one i'd want, before asking someone which one the Porsche is.

It's just a brainwash. Does that make you feel better? There's no reason to be jealous. Your car is just as good as his.
numbskull post of the day.
ice

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 01:56 PM

That Boxster is yours?

What are you doing in school?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 02:27 PM

The Pariah returned! Now I don't need the 101 Laminar jokes book anymore.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 3, 2007, 02:45 PM

Hey, it was #1 bestseller on Amazon for three weeks straight.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 05:41 PM

Me and J.K need to have a collaboration.....

I'll call it, Laminar and the SVT Contour of EVIL!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
So if somebody who knows zip about cars can't tell which one is better just by glancing at them for two seconds, that means there's no difference between them? That's kind of strange logic.
Home-schooled. Sheltered. Moving on...

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 07:41 PM

+1 stupidity

Railroader
Banned
Dec 3, 2007, 07:54 PM

You guys just don't "understand" macgeek2005. He's so much smarter than you guys and will earn far more than all of us. And his musical tastes far exceed even that of Mozart.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You guys just don't "understand" macgeek2005. He's so much smarter than you guys and will earn far more than all of us. And his musical tastes far exceed even that of Mozart.
That's got to be it. At least I can keep a girl longer.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 08:41 PM

That's got to be it. At least I can keep a girl longer.
That's because you have a Porsche

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
That's because you have a Porsche
I don't remember getting one of those? Care to elaborate?

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 4, 2007, 06:27 AM

Reminds me of that game. You get 10 people. The first person tells the next a story. By the time the last person gets it, the story has completely changed.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2007, 05:34 PM

That's what I was thinking of actually, ha ha.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2007, 06:00 PM

purple monkey dishwasher

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2007, 06:04 PM

pink tutu wearing dakar now THAT'S what nightmares are made of

Forum Links
Forum Rules